• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Despite the "poor" launch PD kept improving the game, while adding content at a steady pace.

Live service game done right.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive numbers! It'll be interesting to see how it compares to GT7 over time.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The online setup definitely carried the game, proved you could have balanced racing on console without the rammers.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
5 million players in 1 year?! Was the game bundled? Because this seems to be its biggest year since the launch one.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I expect GT7 to blast any of the records set by Sport. Cross-gen and looks to be starting off strong will make a big difference.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
5 million players in 1 year?! Was the game bundled? Because this seems to be its biggest year since the launch one.
That february number was never correct most likely, or outdated at the time. We had the Kudosprime tracker which was reliable up until that number, and now it's back to being accurate. 9.5m was probably the actual units sold.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I expect GT7 to blast any of the records set by Sport. Cross-gen and looks to be starting off strong will make a big difference.

Yeah I think both Horizon FW and GT7 are set up well to sell like crazy. I know I'm excited to bet getting some AAA blockbusters on PS5, even if cross gen. It's been a slow start for me with that console as a lot of the exclusives like Returnal, Ratchet and Clank etc. just aren't my cup of tea or are games I'm only sort of into. Miles Morales at launch is really the only blockbuster game I've loved on it—to be fair, XSX has been slow too but at least got FH5 and Halo Infinite last year. Shaping up to be a great year for PS5 though with those two, God of War Ragnarok etc.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I almost bit myself. They can't have me. I'm saving myself for 7.

Guy Legend

Sep 22, 2020
Why hasn't Sony had a Gran Turismo game on PS plus? Feel like they should have had Sport prior to GT7.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not commend them for later adding the content that should have been there day one.
Yeah they could that if GT Sport was in the market about two years later.

Polyphony scraped nearly everything going from GT6 to GT Sport.

Creating everything from the scratch takes time. Car models, physics, sounds, online mode, etc.

In my opinion they did what was best for the franchise and everyone that skipped GT Sport and now will play GT 7 must know that all the hard work for an improved core gameplay was done since GT Sport.

GT Sport has easily the best gameplay ever for the franchise and GT 7 will improve and add on that.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Creating everything from the scratch takes time. Car models, physics, sounds, online mode, etc.

In my opinion they did what was best for the franchise and everyone that skipped GT Sport and now will play GT 7 must know that all the hard work for an improved core gameplay was done since GT Sport.

GT Sport has easily the best gameplay ever for the franchise and GT 7 will improve and add on that.
Yep devs are not magical or something this stuff takes time and that was years worth of content.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Yep. I think that for the amount of content available they should've sold the game for $40 and it'd have been a better look, but it was the full reboot the franchise absolutely needed. Now GT7 is looking to be a really competent package with a lot of SP content, best in class multiplayer (assuming penalties are back) and content that doesn't look two generations out of date.

Oct 31, 2017
GT7 is going to be a sales monster.

These GT Sport numbers are even impressive when you consider it's a spinoff and not a mainline GT title.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how GT Sport is just a spinoff and not a mainline GT title? Is it because it's not a numbered title or because it is always online or are there missing content?

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
If Sport is doing those numbers with a bit of a soft launch and without much momentum, I think GT7 is set up to do very well for itself, as it's going into launch with a lot more in its favor.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking of getting into it now. I only ever did a couple laps to try the VR. Still worth it?

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game for $10, had a lot of fun doing the licenses and some of the races. got my moneys worth.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Let's not commend them for later adding the content that should have been there day one.

Luckily it seems GT7 won't have this issue at all.

I'll commend them all I want.

Bravo for making a great game and supporting it for *checks notes* five years with free content, technical fixes, and *checks notes again* no forced MTX.

I don't understand how GT Sport is just a spinoff and not a mainline GT title? Is it because it's not a numbered title or because it is always online or are there missing content?

GT Sport was a paradigm shift for Gran Turismo, in that the intent was to make an FIA sanctioned competitive online racer that could become a motorsports esport. All of the SP stuff was never intended to be a part of Sport, because (again) the focus was on it being a competitive online sport, rather than the typical CarPG that previous GT entries were.

The game was "light" on content at launch, though I'd argue that it was really only light on tracks (for what the game was intended to be). Through the years, Polyphony has added:
170 new cars to the game (Launched with 168)
51 new tracks / configurations (Launched with 29 track configurations)
A bevy of SP content (more races, different cups, etc)
Nearly 6 years of post release technical support (bug fixes, updates, content, etc)

It's a spin-off in every sense that it's purely focused on the sport of motorsports, and Polyphony listened to their fans and catered to those not interested in competitive online multiplayer. They did right by their audience (imo).

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I've definitely been playing more after the last SoP. Not online or anything, but working my way through the single player content (of which there is a TON now) and messing w/ Scapes. It's definitely one of those games I feel like I could go back to forever, so I'm curious if GT7 will scratch a different itch that isn't already satisfied by this game (and I was a detractor of GTS for quite a while).