• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I can't tell if there's any model changes at all, they're both so high poly at that distance that there's no way to tell. Obviously huge improvements to the shading and reflections though.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Please give credit, these are from a youtube video and someone worked on these comparisons. Also, it is clear that the models are the same and only the lighting model has been improved. GT Sport already had very detailed model viewer models, so no surprise here. In-game models are more interesting to me…

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't draw any conclusions before seeing raw 4k shots of the F40's ass in gameplay and scapes.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I can't tell if there's any model changes at all, they're both so high poly at that distance that there's no way to tell. Obviously huge improvements to the shading and reflections though.
Likely it's the same models as everything in GT Sport was made to be 'future-proof' (so we don't end up with two different set of qualities like seen in GT5 back in 2010). And knowing the tempo of Polyphony Digital it's the only realistic way they could achieve the 420+ number of cars at launch with GT7.

Updated lighting & shaders (and RT in some situations on the PS5) is what gives GT7 an even more realistic look.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Likely it's the same models as everything in GT Sport was made to be 'future-proof' (so we don't end up with two different set of qualities like seen in GT5).
And knowing the tempo of Polyphony Digital it's the only realistic way they could achieve the 420+ number of cars at launch with GT7.

Yeah, I think so too, I was mostly commenting on the thread title. I don't think the models are updated very much, if at all, in any of the above examples.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Looks like mostly lighting improvements thanks to raytracing.

Too bad it's not available in game itself.

Kaleide

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I think this is more a lighting and RayTracing engine upgrade more than model changes. I imagine they are the same base models from Sport.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The light source is above the car while it "was" the camera for GTS.
Other than than, I am not sure there is differences in the actual car model. At least, can't see them.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, same car models.
Round things are round, sharp things are sharp.

That RT adds a lot.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Funny how 'lit' everything is before RT is applied. Dont really notice until you see a comparison. Like why would the side of the wheel under the car be lit at all.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's using the same models from GT Sport isn't it? I don't think they've gone in and remodelled 800 cars or whatever it is. Wouldn't expect them to.

I think it's just a lighting change.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
They said that the models have achieved near perfection (2nd best thing after the CAD models) in GTSport so from a geometry prespective -- there is no more improvement.

RT helps though but we've pretty hit the end game.

Hopefully other racers catch up

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most GTS models were perfect and didn't need much improvement to use in a 9th gen game.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
No ray tracing in game unless 30fps right?

edit…looks like it was answered above

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is no gameplay 30fps mode, for some reason people seem to think there is and I see it being spread on twitter and other places.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
To be frank the shop/museum/scapes models are extremely high quality already. It's the in-game models what matter

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Lighting is improved and RT probably helps too. Light source direction is also different, GT7 is from the top, GTSport is from the right

Clearly they're not stupid enough to remodel the cars from GTSport when they can put the resources to adding more cars instead.

The GTSport car models are excellent already lol.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The whole point of PD going ham on the car modeling in Sport was to reduce the workload in transition to 7. Not a whole lot of change there, but marked improvements in lighting.

MartyNick

May 7, 2021
The whole point of PD going ham on the car modeling in Sport was to reduce the workload in transition to 7. Not a whole lot of change there, but marked improvements in lighting.
To 7 and beyond.
Their models are 8K models downgraded to fit the PS4 in Sport and the PS5 capacities in 7.
I think we are miles away from a viable 8K console so the models will be used for a looooooong time

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Models will always look good. They pretty much have been perfect in a sense since sport. Now PDs work is bumping up lighting and reflections etc. but models have always been some of the best around.

There is no gameplay 30fps mode, for some reason people seem to think there is and I see it being spread on twitter and other places.
because of a poorly translated leaked preview. Its so annoying how many times that happens.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
I don't know exactly how they do it but I imagine for cars most of the models would be scanned, so even if the models are different/new they still would use the same source.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the models or the texture work/lighting that makes the biggest difference? Either way, it's crazy how GT games keep stepping it up when I already think they look near photorealistic

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I'm not even sure we need it. Improved lighting and shaders and resolution can make a giant different with the same existing models, which were already super good.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm very interested to see how GT7 looks on the base PS4 and the Pro. Sport still looks great so if its at least on part with that I'll be happy, but I'm a little concerned that no gameplay has been shown for those versions yet. I get that they want to focus on how good it looks on the PS5 (because holy fucking shit) but there's still going to be a ton of people playing it's on the 4.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
XFqHtXE.jpeg

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like car models in games have reached the point of "good enough", I can barely tell any difference in the rendering, the lighting changes are more noticeable and it might just be a style thing for the selection menu.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm very interested to see how GT7 looks on the base PS4 and the Pro. Sport still looks great so if its at least on part with that I'll be happy, but I'm a little concerned that no gameplay has been shown for those versions yet. I get that they want to focus on how good it looks on the PS5 (because holy fucking shit) but there's still going to be a ton of people playing it's on the 4.
Horizon just got footage the other day, so GT7 is probably next