• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Ilsa is light, threw twenty singles her way but sadly nothing (well a Ca Ong but that doesnt really rustle my jimmies)

Edit: Tried out my in progress OTK for Wind and it's hitting 21.7K so should probably do the job once I level up/limit break some of the weapon grid. Using Chrysaor / Lyria / Seofon / Yuisis with Tiamat+Huanglong (and Freyr+Huanglong's calls). Seems reliable enough, even if I did have to throw Light Silva into the backline for the moment.

Last edited:

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Well, they'll probably explore Yatima later on since it going to feel weird to leave a character who looks and does things like Lyria be a one off thing.

Surprised Ilsa is light, threw twenty singles her way but sadly nothing (well a Ca Ong but that doesnt really rustle my jimmies)

Edit: Tried out my in progress OTK for Wind and it's hitting 21.7K so should probably do the job once I level up/limit break some of the weapon grid. Using Chrysaor / Lyria / Seofon / Yuisis with Tiamat+Huanglong (and Freyr+Huanglong's calls). Seems reliable enough, even if I did have to throw Light Silva into the backline for the moment.

Does Silva sub skill even activate? I thought it only does for light based chain burst.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is for light based chain burst only (and need all 4 characters to be light even).

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, clearly the placebo effect did it for me. Wish there were more characters with sub-skills. I suppose Holiday Yaia might be worth throwing in for the chance at Hyped 1, whom upon checking it turns out I don't have. Esser and Earth DLF it is then I suppose.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Got Cain off the discounted single today which was awesome. Only lacking Pholia, Monika and Sturm of the Grand characters

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
English release of Versus is March 3rd, a little less than a month later

At least February has only 28 days. Wait!!! what do you mean 2020 is a leap year?!

T7iIS1H.png

But seriously, the localization seems to be pretty good (although Lowain's voice sounds like a 4kids cartoon dub, lol), too bad I'm so used to their Japanese voices already.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
But seriously, the localization seems to be pretty good (although Lowain's voice sounds like a 4kids cartoon dub, lol), too bad I'm so used to their Japanese voices already.
Lowain's surfer bro voice feels like a localization attempt at translating his wacky slangy dudebro speech patterns from JP
it sounds a little funky but i see what they're going for at least

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I know she's so badass that she can kill you in her sleep, literally, but is funny how she's looking at the opposite direction of her opponent, lol.

bigzgod

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get a Feb Surprise Ticket. With Anni Tix coming up soon and Earth GW scheduled for April (most likely), I need another Gorilla.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be torture trying to decide which seasonal to use the anniversary ticket on. I'm leaning towards either Hal+Mal or Christmas Naru.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between Halloween Halle for Ultima Axe, Christmas Magisa for Earth RF, or Christmas Naru because she's the best earth character. I'm also hoping I can knock Valentines Clarisse off my list next month with my spark funds.

bigzgod

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn between Halloween Halle for Ultima Axe, Christmas Magisa for Earth RF, or Christmas Naru because she's the best earth character. I'm also hoping I can knock Valentines Clarisse off my list next month with my spark funds.

Halloween Halle was amazing for me in light gw. She absolutely carried me in nm95, I couldn't have hit no alt sub 1:15 times in nm95 without her. Friends with better ping and a better grid were doing sub 1 minute runs with her.

That being said, Earth gw is right after Anniversary and I can see Christmas Naru being a huge part of it. I don't think Magisa is as important but who really knows for sure at this point. The nm95 meta will probably revolve around Caim and Halloween Zeta but still a long ways away.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you started from scratch now could you get Caim in time or is Arcarum too time gated for that?

So no Wind proving ground before the GW. Which is unfortunate. But the free Eternal now comes with 50 weapon fragments which is a pretty welcome change. Probably going to pick Nio (other Eternals I'm missing being Anre, Feower and Fif)

Last edited:

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
If you started from scratch now could you get Caim in time or is Arcarum too time gated for that?

Depends on how literal are you being when you say from scratch. If you really mean you have nothing at all it will take a really long time of gathering slowly aquired materials but probably the biggest obstacle will be the astras, which you need 314, according to the spreadsheet on the wiki. Getting enough astras is so slow and random that you may end up getting every required item from arcarum before you have enough to finally get your evoker and, like, half for another one just as you finish your first one, which is why I ask how literally you mean from scratch. Luckily, I think earth astras are not that difficult to get, at least I have 230 after recruiting two evokers and I didn't particularly tried to go for earth, so if you mean from scratch after getting one or two evokers your workload will be a bit lighter.

You'll also have to remember to get a bunch of annoying random stuff outside of arcarum, like the items from the showdown bosses which you can only fight once per day, so start killing Vohu Manah if you don't have 100 of her infernal judge crystals, Alexiel omega animas are also a pain, bestia fruits (just buy them with cerulean stones) and don't forget the evolite, which is pretty costly, and the sunstone required to make the summon SSR too.

So I think it's maybe doable if you have a kickstart, but you must also remember that Caim's gimmick is for your grid to not have any repeated weapon so you might want to start making awhole grid just for him, which is also a pain, but at least arcarum won't get much in the way since you only need to play it once a day.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the break down. I meant more or less from scratch, I don't even have one SSR Arcarum summon never mind an Evoker. I probably wont bother, I imagine I can do what I want with my current grid and characters (well with the likely addition of C. Naru from the anniversary ticket)

bigzgod

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how literal are you being when you say from scratch. If you really mean you have nothing at all it will take a really long time of gathering slowly aquired materials but probably the biggest obstacle will be the astras, which you need 314, according to the spreadsheet on the wiki. Getting enough astras is so slow and random that you may end up getting every required item from arcarum before you have enough to finally get your evoker and, like, half for another one just as you finish your first one, which is why I ask how literally you mean from scratch.

Ideans will be a massive gate if starting from scratch.

You need 79 ideans starting from scratch. More runs than not, you'll only get the appropriate idean from 9-3 and that's if you globe. If you're unlucky enough to get 3 ideans only, that means you'll need to do 26-27 full Arcarum runs. That's 234-243 tickets. If you're lucky and get 5 ideans per run, that's still 15-16 full arcarum runs, which is 135-144 tickets. Even with double tickets, that's 67-72 days, which means you're heavily reliant on puppet rng.

You also can't buy ideans, unlike astras, which is easier with the 30K points that we get from some events.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as we get 50 weapon fragments with the free Eternal I'm definitely picking Okto. He was next on my list anyway and I absolutely want to FLB him

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder could you pick one you already have at 4* just to skip the 40 boxing / gold bar

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Same but it sound like you either get a gold brick or a new eternal (with 50 fragments).

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Wait, wait, wait. So if I pick the eternal and already have 10 fully uncapped weapons I can get a 5* character for a single gold bar?

Too bad the anniversary is after the wind GW.

Ripley

Nov 8, 2017
If you factor in opportunity cost (in the sense that you could take a gold bar from the event instead) it's still two bars, but yeah, it's a good deal. Infinitely better than when it sounded like you would just get the Eternal and no weapon or fragments.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
If you factor in opportunity cost (in the sense that you could take a gold bar from the event instead) it's still two bars, but yeah, it's a good deal. Infinitely better than when it sounded like you would just get the Eternal and no weapon or fragments.

You also save like 1000 crystals, plus a bunch of time of farming. It honestly seems like the best option for people looking to recruit an eternal.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
You also save like 1000 crystals, plus a bunch of time of farming. It honestly seems like the best option for people looking to recruit an eternal.

I'm just trying to remember if the level eternal 80 juut quest requires you to win the fight with a fully awakened weapon, or something that's just been ele changed.

Edit. Confirmed ele change works.

Last edited:

bigzgod

Oct 27, 2017

Definitely the best option for newer players. As you start getting more powerful, I think the gold bar itself is more flexible, especially when you need to set aside 6 bars for ULB Opus.

Based on the way wind gw is trending, I might end up doing like 60 boxes just in prelims. This is going to suck. At least give us more inventory space, I was frantically trying to do inventory management last night because of today's maintenance.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say no to increased inventory space. It feels like I'm constantly micro-managing something that should be extremely simple.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Increased inventory space is coming eventually. It was mentioned around the time the yearly Directors Letter came out.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the break down. I meant more or less from scratch, I don't even have one SSR Arcarum summon never mind an Evoker. I probably wont bother, I imagine I can do what I want with my current grid and characters (well with the likely addition of C. Naru from the anniversary ticket)
Should just go ahead and start your arcarum grind, especially since we get events where you can buy 30K arca points which is vastly different than what we were doing for the first few months arcarum was around.

Dont really get the not bothering thing as you are just getting a ticket or two daily, to not do any arcarum means youre wasting tickets.

bigzgod

Oct 27, 2017
Should just go ahead and start your arcarum grind, especially since we get events where you can buy 30K arca points which is vastly different than what we were doing for the first few months arcarum was around.

Dont really get the not bothering thing as you are just getting a ticket or two daily, to not do any arcarum means youre wasting tickets.

Arcarum is also one thing that you can never catch up on. There's no way to regain lost tickets. So it is absolutely critical you do it.

If you don't do Arcarum, you will ALWAYS be behind someone who doesn't waste any of their arcarum tickets.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Arcarum is also one thing that you can never catch up on. There's no way to regain lost tickets. So it is absolutely critical you do it.

If you don't do Arcarum, you will ALWAYS be behind someone who doesn't waste any of their arcarum tickets.

and it's always getting new shit. with arc weapons upcoming.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Just didnt particularly enjoy it when it came in, it was tedious doing each stage and my interest in the game at that point was fairly low. Its' considerably easier now with the fast explores and such.

Don't do fast explores as you won't get fragments(especially if you're doing expert arcarum).

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Sure, it gets pretty tiring to navigate the slow menu of Arcarum but fast explore is just a rip off. A last resort option where you miss/get less stuff.

Maybe they could do something like skip boss battles/rare encounters when you beat them once, similar to nightmare for events.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah that's aggravating, didnt realise you missed out on stuff with fast explore, blew the last month or so's arcarum tickets on it a few days ago.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I never really noticed a difference in fragment drops between fast and manual explore.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Arcarum is the best "new" content they added to the game. Good for short sessions, no AP needed, tons of great drops, tons of exp, pretty easy fights, Sarasa can be useful and you get to farm some of the best summons and characters in the game for free. It being time gated also means that everyone competes in the same foot.

The drops could be more balanced so we won't all swim in verum proofs and ideans while waiting for fragment bosses, but it's not too bad.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
So I want to maybe start trying to learn/do Lucilius HL. How should I start? Is there an Discord for it or just make a single host room Co-op?

If so, any tips?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arcarum is the best "new" content they added to the game. Good for short sessions, no AP needed, tons of great drops, tons of exp, pretty easy fights, Sarasa can be useful and you get to farm some of the best summons and characters in the game for free. It being time gated also means that everyone competes in the same foot.

The drops could be more balanced so we won't all swim in verum proofs and ideans while waiting for fragment bosses, but it's not too bad.

I'd very strongly disagree. It's tedious, it locks you into it so it's hardly good for short sessions compared to the majority of other content in the game which is one and done. It's pointlessly easy to the point where it's entirely unengaging which makes it nothing more than a time wasting chore. There are also better ways to get xp, ways you are likely going to be equally sick off admittedly (which also coincidentally give Sarasa a starring role). The Evokers and summons being "free" is certainly good, though much like the eternals the actual cost of them in time is anything but.

Proving Grounds would be my pick for the best new content.

Oct 26, 2017
Anything with some challenge is good imo.

Arcarum is a bit tedious to get through since you're mostly one-two shotting mobs.

Maybe I wouldn't mind it as much if I had JP ping and quick refreshes.

I feel like the loading takes up a lot of time due to how many fights you get into.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Anything with some challenge is good imo.

Arcarum is a bit tedious to get through since you're mostly one-two shotting mobs.

Maybe I wouldn't mind it as much if I had JP ping and quick refreshes.

I feel like the loading takes up a lot of time due to how many fights you get into.

Yeah, the loading sucks. Sometimes, when I'm into auto-pilot, I pick a fight and before entering I realize I don't know what element is the enemy I'm gonna fight, or I have an elemnt in mind but I don't remember if it's the one I 'm gonna be facing or the one I need to counter the enemies, so I have to go back and check to make sure but it takes forever.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
arcarum is something like 800k RP/hr while sliming is maybe 1-1.1m with my ping; it's just straight up one of the most efficient things to spend time on along with UBN trains

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd very strongly disagree. It's tedious, it locks you into it so it's hardly good for short sessions compared to the majority of other content in the game which is one and done. It's pointlessly easy to the point where it's entirely unengaging which makes it nothing more than a time wasting chore. There are also better ways to get xp, ways you are likely going to be equally sick off admittedly (which also coincidentally give Sarasa a starring role). The Evokers and summons being "free" is certainly good, though much like the eternals the actual cost of them in time is anything but.

Proving Grounds would be my pick for the best new content.
It's tedious indeed, but besides Lucilius HL and Proud battles, everything is after a few runs. And by short sessions I mean it doesn't have a time limit in any battle, so you can stop and resume whenever you want.

I agree Proving Grounds is great. The rewards are not as good, but at least you don't need to invest much time to get them, and it's fun being able (and even forced) to use different characters.

Ultimate Bahamut Normal (the 30-people one).