• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
GiantKaleidoscopicAsianelephant.gif
200.gif

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a new franchise with meh story and characters and people are excited just because the graphics?
Or the lore is really good and can possibly reach some Persona, DQ and old FF quality level?
Because first time i ear about it.
Story's pretty decent. I honestly think the MC is the worst offender mainly because of how much of a bland self-insert he is and how he's mostly just a vehicle for Cygames to appeal to the otaku/waifu-loving fanbase. Rackam would've been a way better MC, if I had to pick someone in his place.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
I did rough translation of famitsu interview stuff on twitter so I will post it here as well:

Some Granblue Fantasy ReLink info from famitsu interview:
-people who have no knowledge on gbf can play the game without any problem.
-all the story related Primals will be new. There will also be bunch of new characters
-the general you progress the stage and beat the boss, expand world. You will progress through story and there will be areas like big fields and snow areas, etc. There will also be side quests and exploration elements
-as for the number of characters, they cannot confirm at this moment. But for example, if you consider each weapon of Bayonetta as individual characters, there will be lots of characters for an action game
-characters are unlocked as you achieve certain requirements. on Multiplayer, you can use characters you unlocked. Duplicate characters in multiplayer is possible. Also as multiplay only stuff, we are considering hard mode of the quests you beat in story mode.
Thanks for sharing! As I am really hyped for this game, I appreciate every bit of info for this game lol

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Looks fantastic. Hope it's not too anime when it comes to the female characters.

One nonhuman race inexplicably always wears clothes with exposed backs

Another are literally two-legged cow people with women who universally have huge busts.

Godspeed, Dmax. Godspeed.

Story's pretty decent. I honestly think the MC is the worst offender mainly because of how much of a bland self-insert he is ... Rackam would've been a way better MC, if I had to pick someone in his place.

FFXII is a great game I agree

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the visuals so I'm interested. Although:
Story's pretty decent. I honestly think the MC is the worst offender mainly because of how much of a bland self-insert he is and how he's mostly just a vehicle for Cygames to appeal to the otaku/waifu-loving fanbase. Rackam would've been a way better MC, if I had to pick someone in his place.
I don't like the sound of this. I think having an interesting main character is important to any good story, so hearing the main character is some bland ass dude isn't exactly good. Especially with the whole waifu shit mentioned since I hate that kind of stuff and it's even prevalent on this forum with posters.

One nonhuman race inexplicably always wears clothes with exposed backs

Another are literally two-legged cow people with women who universally have huge busts.

Godspeed, Dmax. Godspeed.
And I'm hoping this isn't what my mind automatically went to with that combination of words. Cow people who have huge busts. Please don't tell me this means what I think it means.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, but not as good as early videos. Might be the area, might be a downgrade. I don't know. To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the video, but it still looks like a game I want to play.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017

I don't like the sound of this. I think having an interesting main character is important to any good story, so hearing the main character is some bland ass dude isn't exactly good. Especially with the whole waifu shit mentioned since I hate that kind of stuff and it's even prevalent on this forum with posters.

And I'm hoping this isn't what my mind automatically went to with that combination of words. Cow people who have huge busts. Please don't tell me this means what I think it means.

About the cow people, this character is the one that would most likely be in the game:

3UtolAA.png

They've also shown another character already from the race of people who wears backless attires:

VLHuv1g.jpg

This is a screenshot from the game revealed months ago, so it's up to you if you want to put up with the waifu stuff or just pass on the game because of it.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

On a more serious note, I don't think anyone praises Granblue for the main character(s) outside of them having some pretty great visual designs for job classes. If anything it's the main cast (many of which can be seen/heard in that latest 14-minute gameplay clip) and various cliques/factions within the game with their own semi-contained arcs that carry the narrative forward. Some really great villains too.

The most interesting thing about the MC is probably that he's a walking deus ex machina, but that's pretty typical of a JRPG or anime story.

I feel like jest aside the FFXII comparison here is apt because just like Vaan he seems to be more of a walking camera lens to frame the story, albeit a little more of a mute blank slate.

Oct 25, 2017

The main character is a mute self-insert protagonist like Link that doesn't talk other than a few lines. I'm generally okay with it because most of the other characters get a lot more focus than the MC and while they are a blatant self-insert, they usually don't get in the way of other character's development like a lot of other JRPGs.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the answers. Think I'll wait for the eventual release and some impressions before deciding what to do. It is a gorgeous looking game though.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Actually just had a thought - the anime series is probably a good gauge of whether you'd jive with the world/character designs.

Oct 25, 2017
The Anime is pretty mediocre though so I would generally avoid it.

It was based mostly on the early chapters which were pretty forgettable themselves.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Just looking through the footage, and seeing Rackam's Duration in 3D is amusing.

I don't like the sound of this. I think having an interesting main character is important to any good story, so hearing the main character is some bland ass dude isn't exactly good. Especially with the whole waifu shit mentioned since I hate that kind of stuff and it's even prevalent on this forum with posters..
I mean, don't get me wrong. The appeal of the game will always be the large cast of interesting characters (which is why I started the mobile game in the first place), so as long they don't screw that up, the game will still be pretty appealing. I'm still hoping the MC gets knocked the hell out so he gets removed for the majority of the game so the cast can breathe without him being involved in every single thing they do.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

In the mobage itself, the main character is a silent protagonist who can be male or female. There are dialogue choices at times though, and you sometimes do get less heroic options, although the other characters still quickly push the story along in the direction of the obviously standard choice and the protagonist goes alongside them with no resistance. In the anime, they just went with Gran being a fairly bland hero like one would expect.

Interestingly though, there isn't much actual shipping with the protagonist. There are a couple of characters that show interest in them, but considering the large cast it's pretty minor and most never show any kind of romantic interest outside of a few special holiday quotes.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Im not liking how damage spongey the enemies look, and the lack of satisfying visual impact on attacks

Id rather a Stay/Night game so every female character isn't in a bikini 24/7
Oh sure Fate would be even better. Katalina looked good design wise. Well did a quick google search and yeah most of the female cast is designed for the male gaze.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Is there anything as bad as Anne Bonny from Fate Go in GBF though? Those cow girls are a breath of fresh air after FGO's horrifying anatomical abomination fetish
A couple but more decent then characters like Anne Bonny, Francis, Tamamo, Mata, Marie, Elizabeth, Attila, Helena, etc

Most sit around Oda or Leonardo in terms of design, Granblue isn't anywhere close to as "waifu T&A" focused as FGO.

Also none venture into Shuten level.

Yuel is probably the most revealed character in GBF and even then they toned her water form down due to feedback on people thinking her fire form was just cosplayer bait.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple but more decent then characters like Anne Bonny, Francis, Tamamo, Mata, Marie, Elizabeth, Attila, Helena, etc

Most sit around Oda or Leonardo in terms of design, Granblue isn't anywhere close to as "waifu T&A" focused as FGO.

Yuel is probably the most revealed character in GBF and even then they toned her water form down due to feedback on people thinking her fire form was just cosplayer bait.
This is extremely reassuring and lifts a lot of worry off my shoulders. I actually like Leonardo's design(character notwithstanding), and Katalina has always been super rad every time I've seen her so I'm glad shes not the odd one out.

Torchiq

Dec 10, 2018
Oh man, I hope that they really expand upon the story as the early chapters of GB are really forgettable. The lore and characters are where it's at. I'm worried it's gonna be chapter-based tho. Need more details on the exploration part.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France

You've to understand something important about Granblue Fantasy.
People doesn't like it just because of harem, NOPE. Otherwise It won't have lived long since it would been just like the other mobile games.
Reasons why it loved : the story/the writting and finaly the gameplay.

Any players of this game would be able to tell you the story of their favorite character even the lowest tier characters can be loved because Cygames made effort. Of course, not all of them are equal in term of quality but man when you meet one, it stuck with you forever. For me it's the [R] Grandma who is searching for her husband.

So it can be surprising but there a LOT of reading in that game even the events can have really cool stories related or not the main story.
Don't understimate Granblue Fantasy it an old gacha game who became popular with the years because Cygames actually cared to tell the player good stories and charismatic characters (the first one you encounter is Katalina, damn she is awesome).

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

To add to this, the seasonals continue to be $$$ bait, but yeah, the default, non-seasonal versions of characters generally do stick to their racial proportions, other than some hilariously awkward outliers like Magisa.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
To add to this, the seasonals continue to be $$$ bait, but yeah, the default, non-seasonal versions of characters generally do stick to their racial proportions, other than some hilariously awkward outliers like Magisa.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they did seasonal outfits for re-link either.

I do like some of them, Ferry xmas outfit this year is tasteful.

Oct 26, 2017
Only reason I wanted to play Granblue originally was because of the story/art/characters.

There's a shit ton of story (early on it's kind of meh but it eventually picks up gets to be quite entertaining), a ton of sidestories/events that further expand the world/flesh out particular characters and then you have the FATE episodes that every character gets as well.

Simply put, there's a shit ton of reading in this game.

The story also gives context that leads to some intense/hype fights so I appreciate that too.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
This. It's Final Fantasy but otaku-pandering to an obnoxious degree and very little narrative stakes or tension.

At least Dragalia Lost is a bit more modest in this sense.

You've to understand something important about Granblue Fantasy.
People doesn't like it just because of harem, NOPE. Otherwise It won't have lived long since it would been just like the other mobile games.
Reasons why it loved : the story/the writting and finaly the gameplay.

I'll agree with the writing, but mostly in the characters and their Fate Episodes. The narrative tension is flaccid as it gets. Never felt like anyone was in danger except for the chapter involving Vira.

Gameplay first takes too long to get challenging and just doesn't get deep enough by then. What kept me playing more was the progression systems and the well-paced grinding/farming.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how I've never heard of this before. Platinum Games working on a new high budget RPG!? sign me up, looks really good.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This. It's Final Fantasy but otaku-pandering to an obnoxious degree and very little narrative stakes or tension.

At least Dragalia Lost is a bit more modest in this sense.

I'll agree with the writing, but mostly in the characters and their Fate Episodes. The narrative tension is flaccid as it gets. Never felt like anyone was in danger except for the chapter involving Vira.

Gameplay first takes too long to get challenging and just doesn't get deep enough by then. What kept me playing more was the progression systems and the well-paced grinding/farming.

How far did you get? I thought there was quite a bit of tension and stakes during the Nahlegrande arc.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have no experience with the mobile game and only briefly watched the first episode of the anime, but I'm certainly I'll get this on release. That said, I hope someday we get Japanese RPGs not done in the tropey anime style again someday. I want something I'm not a little embarrassed to play in front of my wife and daughters.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't play Granblue but I'm gonna end up buying both this and the VS game lmao.

They knew where to go to get me interested. PG and Arc god damn.
This.

I've heard of it for a while but didn't have any interest in it. After seeing the fighting game and this? I think I want in on the series.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
please delay it so it can be on PS5 as well. this game is amazing

This game did not look ready for 2019 so it might be PS4\PS5. I think it's a 2020 game especially since they said it's coming after the fighitng game they just announced, which is most likely Summer-Fall 2019.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looks really good. Probably Platinums best looking game. Also seems like it plays well.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this seems to be built on Platinum's engine. hope they did some upgrades to it. Nier had some framerate drops attributing to the move to open-ish world. though this looks more constrained in level design so that could help

also, part of me doesn't believe this is even running on a PS4, but PC

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great. I hope the Cygames/Platinum Games turns out to be a fruitful one. GAWD, give me that Granblue Fantasy season 2 already.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really neat! The Platinum standard of exciting combat is great and these designs are really pretty.

Having a whole party looks a bit busy, though.