• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

Changes regarding the development of Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Tokyo-based video game publisher and developer Cygames, Inc. (HQ: Shibuya-ku, Tokyo; President: Koichi Watanabe, hereinafter referred as "Cygames") has recently been engaged in the co-development of the upcoming console game Granblue Fantasy: Relink together with esteemed developer PlatinumGames Inc.
Going forward, Cygames will handle 100 percent of development internally.
Cygames would like to assure everyone looking forward to the title that we remain committed to delivering a game that meets the expectation of our fan-base and gamers everywhere.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/granblu...-games-no-longer-involved#bOe8S2JBXmkwHG1I.99

Edit: Platinum Games Statment
While we, PlatinumGames, have been working with Cygames in co-development of the upcoming console game Granblue Fantasy: Relink, we officially announce our contract on the project has come to an end. Development will still continue, but be handled solely by Cygames' internal development team.
We would like to express our thanks to everyone who has shown interest in the project, and ask that the same support should continue for Granblue Fantasy: Relink as its production continues forward.
https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/10109

Edit 2:
relink blog from pg website redirected to main pg website
https://www.platinumgames.com/games/granblue-fantasy-project-relink/

edit: i'm not sure if this ever got updated link after game name change. apologies

pg logo got scrapped from official relink site

before
73fb60d3da.jpg

after
f457c12755.jpg

Last edited:

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there goes all my excitement for the game. It's such a shame since it seemed to pair so well with the Arcsys fighting game.

Edit: Now that it's confirmed to just be their contract ending I'm back on board. Hopefully Cygames can bring it home.

Last edited:

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum stretched themselves to thin again?, better to focus on Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall only.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
From what I know, Platinum wasn't super involved in the first place. Just helping with combat.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda saw this coming, since CyGames was already most of the development team the last few years. Can't say I'm that disappointed, since I'm not the biggest Plat fan.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Welp, my only interest in the game was from maybe a good platinum game experience gameplay, i don't care about granblue itself... The multiplayer focus was also a turn off...

Maybe it will still be really good, who knows, but i'm not hyped

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like Platinum's work on the game is gonna disappear, I'm still lookin forward to it

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Whaaaaaaaa....

I'm still excited, but whaaaaaaa....

I mean, outside of the Zone of the Enders remake, Cygames has no other console development experience. There definitely are people on their team that do, but overall, and in regards to project management, this is their first big thing. Kind of worried now.

Also feel super bad for Platinum yet again, from Star Fox Zero to being mediocre, to Scalebound getting cancelled, to World of Demons just not being on DeNA's site anymore, to this? Seriously, were it not for Nier Automata, I'd start to be worried for them.

Hoping they show something for either Babylon's Fall or Bayonetta 3 soon.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
a real bummer, because the game looks good so far
have a feeling it will bite cygames in the ass, i don't think they're ready to develop their own game yet

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh...dunno what to make of this news. Hope this doesn't negatively impact PlatinumGames. They need all the success they can get.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not good, not good at all. I wasn't some big Nier guy like a lot of people around here but I did recognize what the game did well. Always felt a true action RPG and not a halfway one like Nier would be something to behold in Platinum's hands. Hopefully this continues up to those high standards cause the game looks absolutely sick.

OP
OP
jbug617

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
AFAIK PG was only involved in developing the combat. I hope the game stays as same as the last video I saw. The game is so smooth

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Platinum sure has some bad luck. On the bright side maybe that's more people to work on the other projects like Bayo 3.

My best guess is that their internal studio has enough tech, workers, and experience to do quality work now. It possible that Platinum Games was there to get it running and now they are no longer needed at this point. This could had been far worst like cutting Plat without anyone knowing or scraping the whole project.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Oh boy that doesn't sound good. Scalebound and now this. Would be interesting to know if the studio is having any issues.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
As long as it doesn't say Platinum's contribution hasn't been completely scrapped and redone, I'm pretty positive it'll be ok guys.

TheRedLotus

Nov 5, 2017
We know they're working on Bayo 3 and Babylon's Fall, right? Platinum aren't going anywhere...

Besides, what if they're already working on the next Nier as well? They can only be involved in so many projects and this one was not their top priority from what I gathered.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
After Dragalia's gameplay and the fact that they needed Nintendo to make the gameplay to the state it is right now...

Yikes.

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this means PG's work is done and the game can enter "wrapping up". I'm still looking forward to this from the footage I saw.

Speaking of missing projects, where's World of Demons?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why people are trying to spin this as "Platinum finished their job so now Cygames is going to finish it"

I seriously doubt that game development works like that, and that there is no way that publisher is going to announce a team leaving a game as a positive

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Anniversary is coming next month, I hope some info will be unveiled. Cygames is also working on Awakening internally, so I'd expect a certain skill from them.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people are trying to spin this as "Platinum finished their job so now Cygames is going to finish it"

I seriously doubt that game development works like that, and that in now way in chance they are going to announce a team leaving the game as a positive

The cult of Kamiya is strong on era.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Surprising, I wonder what happened. I mean the game has looked great every time it's been shown.

We know they're working on Bayo 3 and Babylon's Fall, right? Platinum aren't going anywhere...

Besides, what if they're already working on the next Nier as well? They can only be involved in so many projects and this one was not their top priority from what I gathered.

I'm pretty sure SE already said that the next Nier will be internally developed.