• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
61188317_1238458052976036_8502356510867718144_o.jpg

Welcome to the Granblue Fantasy Beta OT! This is the thread where we share experiences and discovery. Please go through the GBVS beta website for more details about the Beta and the the game if necessary (https://versus.granbluefantasy.jp/en/closedbeta/playguide/) I'll just be including the important bits here in the OT.

Test Period

flow_img.png

Controller Layout

D7oAXUBU0AEKLlm.jpg:large

Link to the rules page for more details: https://versus.granbluefantasy.jp/en/closedbeta/playguide/rules/

Some extra notes:

1. Press back direction with Guard (R2) to evade, you avoid all attacks EXCEPT FOR THROWS. You are also vulnerable at the end of the animation
  2. Press forward direction with Guard (R2) to cross over, you avoid attacks EXCEPT FOR THROWS AND LOW ATTACKS.
  3. You can either hold the Guard (R2) button to block, or hold the back direction to block.
  4. While holding the Guard (R2) button to block is easier and can block against cross-up, it does have some downsides- You can not Instant Block, teching throws still does a small amount of damage.
  5. You can use either the simplified commands with the Skill (R1) button to activate special moves, or the technical command with traditional motion inputs to activate special moves. All special moves have a cooldown after use.
  6. Technical inputs are harder to pull off but rewards you with shorter cooldown timings, sometimes almost instantaneous.

Available Characters

flow2.png

Link to their entire command list: https://versus.granbluefantasy.jp/en/closedbeta/playguide/characters/

Some extra notes:

1. Gran is a balanced character with your standard projectiles and anti-air skills with a rushdown close range playstyle. Designed to be easy to control with straight-forward skills.
  2. Katalina is another balanced character that projectiles and anti-air skills that specializes at the mid range play style. She's voiced by Sawashiro Miyuki... Just throwing it out there.
  3. Charlotta is a speedy character with powerful strikes, she has a small range but also a small hitbox (yes the crown is part of her hitbox). Her technical commands involve charged inputs.
  4. Lancelot is a speedy character with high ability and focuses heavily on mix-ups. Probably the best air mobility of the current roster. Extremely popular among the female fanbase.
  5. Ferry is a zoner character with long range abilities and tools to keep opponents away. Is the only character with three supers while other characters have only two.

Advice for Beginners of Fighting Games

If this is the first time you've pick up a fighting game I've prepared a couple of simple tips to help ease you into this genre.

• Blocking while standing up will protect you from jumping/overhead and standing attacks.
  • Blocking while crouching will protect you from low/crouch and standing attacks
  • Get into the habit of crouch blocking at all times, then switch to high block when the opponent jumps or does an overhead

• If your opponent is always blocking, run up and use Throw (L1) on them
  • If you have been grabbed, press the Throw (L1) button within a small time frame to break free of your opponent's grab

• Try all of your attacks, and which ones are good for which ranges and at what speeds
  • Learn an anti-air move, everyone loves to jump in to close distance

Lastly, don't be discouraged if you find yourself losing a lot. That's how we are were when we start out, just take each match as a learning experience and the wins will come. Everything that is beating you has a counter to it, every problem can be solved, every match can be won. Focus on your mistakes, ask better players for advice and knowledge, and never give up!

Victory.png

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Between this and the JP PS+ exclusive SamSho demo I poured 3 hours into with a buddy that's a TO I have a feeling it's not gonna be too hard to just stay up for when Fata Morgana goes on sale on LRG at 7AM this morning.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread, OP.
So pumped to finally get to try this for myself.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
While holding the Guard (R2) button to block is easier, it does have some downsides- You can not Instant Block, teching throws still does a small amount of damage, and it doesn't protect you from cross ups.
So what exactly is the purpose of this if you can't even block cross ups with it?! A mechanic disguised as a beginner friendly way to block, when it actually just puts you at a disadvantage without any benefits?!

This game is button to block and not back to block?
It's both... For some reason, not sure why! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I really hat ethis lobby system. I can't tell if people are confused and not pressing ready or I stink through the internet or something

kagura

Jul 21, 2018
I can't access the game it has a lock and doesn't let me open it. Someone knows why?

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
So, when I check movelist I see a big cinematic skybound art, not just for 30% hp one, but for regular one. but in game I just get a flat one with none of the signature stuff happening

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Can somebody for the LOVE OF GOD explain to me this absurdly idiotic lobby system?

Please, I beg you...

Why is it sometimes when I press ready and other side is also clearly ready, it just sits there? I am not talking abut time it's connecting, there's a message for that.
Why is it that sometimes I am forced to stand up from the sit even though i didn't press that?
WHY is there not a regular matchmaking system wtf?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody for the LOVE OF GOD explain to me this absurdly idiotic lobby system?

Please, I beg you...

Why is it sometimes when I press ready and other side is also clearly ready, it just sits there? I am not talking abut time it's connecting, there's a message for that.
Why is it that sometimes I am forced to stand up from the sit even though i didn't press that?
WHY is there not a regular matchmaking system wtf?

It's a beta so the connection stuff will be a bit buggy. As for the lack of a matchmaking system, Arcsys just always use their lobby system in their betas, might be better for them testing wise. Normal matchmaking will be in the full game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The lobby is very cute, but I would 1000x over prefer to just be chucked into a match.

Haven't been able to connect to a single fight yet :/

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
It's a beta so the connection stuff will be a bit buggy. As for the lack of a matchmaking system, Arcsys just always use their lobby system in their betas, might be better for them testing wise. Normal matchmaking will be in the full game.

Oh, there is a matchmaking system made for actual human beings in full games? Thank god.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
still don't understand why, when I use Katalina's SKybound art, she just dives in the end, instead of doing big cinematic attack like in movelist video. No, I am not talking about superskybound art. regular one.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
connection quality has been pretty good so far. Having better matches with a friend than I did with DBFZ

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yo... Fluxwave... Calmdown... We are all friends here... No need to grind me into the dirt...

(good matches so far, dude)

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm noticing is that it can be hard to track the cooldown of your specials while the action is going on on-screen, at least initially.
Yo... Fluxwave... Calmdown... We are all friends here... No need to grind me into the dirt...

(good matches so far, dude)
Haha, I wouldn't say it's nearly that one-sided. Good games indeed; picking up a new FG is a fun feeling.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Having messed with all the characters, I really like it so far. The skill system feels pretty good and the cooldowns are short enough that I never felt like I didn't have an ability when I needed it. The more restricted movement is nice as well, anything more like air dashes might have been too much.

All the character specific intros are pretty good as well. Like in a Gran mirror match.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it's pretty fun so far. Kinda feels like anime Street Fighter, with the limited movement and the rather short combos. Really liking Ferry so far.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Played some matches, won every set except for my first and fifth match. Love the game so far and my main, Lancelot.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Six matches so far, I've won five (two with Katalina, three with Ferry).

EDIT: Make that seven and six, four with Ferry.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
We need that rematch button.

One thing I'm noticing is that it can be hard to track the cooldown of your specials while the action is going on on-screen, at least initially.

Haha, I wouldn't say it's nearly that one-sided. Good games indeed; picking up a new FG is a fun feeling.

One of these days I am going to stop jumping... One of these days.