Developer: Arc System Works
Publisher: Cygames, XSEED, Sega
Genre: Fighting Game
Release Date:
  • Asia: February 6th 2020
  • North America: March 3rd 2020
  • Europe: March 27th 2020
  • PC: March 13th 2020
Languages: Japanese, English, (French, Spanish, German, Italian available in the European version), Chinese, Korean
Voices: Japanese, English
Platforms: PS4, PC

Granblue Versus is the new fighting game developed by Arc System Works based on the popular Granblue Fantasy. Granblue Fantasy is a mobile game developed by Cygames and now entering its sixth year. While not officially released overseas, it is fully playable in English on mobile and browser. Compared to other games in the genre, Versus aims to try to lower the barriers of entry so more people can enjoy fighting games while retaining the depth that dedicated players would expect.

Characters

ADLxMvD.png

At launch, there are 11 characters in the game. Once released, the first DLC character Chaos Bringer will be unlockable for free by beating the RPG mode.

B3sSUsP.png

GBVS introduces a brand new story featuring your favorite Granblue Fantasy characters. Chaos has befallen the Sky Realm, leaving Gran with no choice but to fight against his former allies. In order for him to identify the source of the growing havoc and save his comrades, the airship Grandcypher takes flight once again into uncharted skies.

RPG Mode is the unique story mode for Versus where you progress through multiple islands made up from quests and boss fights. These quests usually feature multiple stages where you fight enemies and use unique skills that can only be used in this mode. All quests can be played in co-op either locally or online. Or played with a CPU in the role of the partner character.

thumb_quest01.png

As you progress through the story, you acquire new weapons to upgrade weapon grids, which in turn make the player more powerful in the RPG mode. Certain weapons also give new weapon skins that alter characters weapons cosmetically in modes outside of RPG Mode. Each character currently has 7 weapon skins available to unlock. Weapons are acquired from weapon drops from quests, bought/crafted in the shop or got through the Draw system.

bCCScyg.png

Versus Mode

Fight against the CPU or player controlled characters in this mode.

Arcade Mode

Fight your way toward the finish line, defeating the opponents that stand in your way! After each fight, you can choose from three opponents of varying difficulty so fight harder opponents to score more points.

The online has the usual array of fighting game modes where you can play in Ranked mode and move up through the ranks, lobbies which let you match up with players aboard the Grandcypher and player created rooms.

Training

Granblue Versus has two training modes available. Free Training, where you can pick a character and practice your comboes against a dummy. And also Mission Training, which teaches specific gameplay mechanics, character comboes, how to counter specific characters and explain terminology related to the game.

Gallery

Read about the characters and places mentioned in the game, listen to music and rewatch cutscenes to learn more about the world of Granblue Fantasy.

Future Characters

Season Pass 1 contains 5 characters with all 5 currently revealed. Chaos Bringer will be available for free to anyone that finishes the RPG mode.

qu0j8tv.png

Chaos Bringer Trailer
Narmaya Trailer
Soriz Trailer
Djeeta Trailer
Zooey Trailer

Season Pass 2 has been confirmed for Fall 2020 and the first character is Belial, featured in the RPG mode. The second pass will contain 6 characters.

season_2.png

Belial Trailer
Cagliostro Trailer

Frequently Asked Questions

How are people playing it so early?

Most people outside of Asia right now has purchased the game digitally, or physically imported, a version of the game. The Japanese version doesn't have English text but the Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan stores, alongside other countries in Asia do have English text and VA. SeaGM and OffGamers are some of the higher recommended places for PSN cards but stock has varied as demand has been pretty popular since Versus launched, with some other places also raising their prices to profit off the demand.

What are the rewards for the original Granblue Fantasy?

Right now in the game, there are three serial codes that can be redeemed in the original Granblue Fantasy for rewards and can be found in the Serial Code option in the Online menu. The first is received by buying the game and allows the player to select either a Gold Brick, Sunlight Stone, Sephira Evolite or Damascus Crystal x10. The second is 5000 crystals if you beat RPG mode and the third is a Vyrn Suit Outfit if you beat RPG Mode on Hard, or 3000 crystals if you already own the outfit. Additional rewards will be available from the season pass as each character releases. These will vary from new weapon skins, character skins and other rewards.

Note: All codes can only be accessed on the account that purchased the game when you buy the game digitally. So if you want the story mode rewards, you must beat the story mode with that account.

Does it have rollback?

Unfortunately not. The game uses delay based netcode as ArcSys's previous games have.

What's the post launch support going to be?

Outside of the season passes of new characters, they've also announced that they plan to update RPG mode with new content and to eventually add new modes. RPG mode updates were released in Summer 2020 with more quests in early 2021. One of the new modes was a limited time mode where players compete against each other and high ranking players earn unique titles and rewards.

Opening Movie

Helpful Links

Official Website
Granblue Versus Wiki (Work in progress)
Granblue Fantasy Site
Granblue Fantasy OT

Credit to Zyrox for the title

Last edited:

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT!

I won't buy it at launch but RPG mode sounds interesting.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT. Don't have the game yet, (I've decided I waot for the EU release due to account shenanigans, I want to have this on my main acc)
but I have been watching a ton of streams of it in the last few days. It looks so dang good. Can't wait to get my hands on it next month.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Gah I'm so conflicted. I want to play it now but I'd also much rather own it physically.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I've really been enjoying the cooldown approach to specials. I'm out of the ranks where it was happening a ton, but it brought a smile to my face to see someone burn an ex fireball without moving in and having no recourse to me harassing them from full screen.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Nice thread. Put me on the 'Waiting for EU' bunch. Can't wait to to soak up the techs when it finally comes out.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Great, OT is up now. We move here.

Also check out this impractical Percival combo I did in practice. It actually gets to 7500 dmg if I don't use ez mode inputs lol

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I found that there's a lightning knight dude and they didn't add him for some reason.
Lightning dudes are cool.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I've really been enjoying the cooldown approach to specials. I'm out of the ranks where it was happening a ton, but it brought a smile to my face to see someone burn an ex fireball without moving in and having no recourse to me harassing them from full screen.
I'm conflicted lol, I like starting the round fully loaded with EX moves, but fighting while dealing with moves on cool down is such a garbage feeling. To me, it only makes sense with DBs.

I originally had no interest in the game since it looked slow as hell in the beta but it looks great the more I watched of it! Ladiva looks hype as hell to play as.
It's way faster than SF, with some characters, the pace is even faster than KoF!

Oct 27, 2017
I found that there's a lightning knight dude and they didn't add him for some reason.
Lightning dudes are cool.
I'm hoping the DLC characters get fate episodes or side story events in the RPG mode when they drop. Most of the Granblue characters have a lot going on in their lives and it'd be great to see some of it in Versus.

If you're talking about Albert that guy has a cool mechanic where he can zap himself, get paralyzed for a bit and then attack up to 6 times in one turn. In addition to other buffs. Dude is so sick. I could just imagine how crazy he would be in a fighting game.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I would be interested to hear about the single player mode from anyone with the game,is it fun to play if you like beatem ups? Im interested in this game but the season 1/2 dlc coming out so soon seems kinda scummy and makes me hesitant to get the game. If the rpg mode is fun I can "justify" getting the game to myself by thinking im also getting a fun beatem up game. As far as the IP goes I have zero interest in granblue so it adds nothing for me, but the game itself looks fun and Im interested in picking up a new fighter.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dark skin, white hair and MH Gun Lance... I think I want this. 👀
I have the english physical versions of the shadowverse Silva and Zooey from Anime exp they were giving out :)
s

Keep in mind if they do put her in it could be her regular sword and shield version.

I really want SV to get another granblue focused set loved all the art

I wish we got Silva instead of Metera

Last edited:

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT! Having a blast playing, anyone wanna do some lobbies tonight?

Oct 27, 2017
I would be interested to hear about the single player mode from anyone with the game,is it fun to play if you like beatem ups? Im interested in this game but the season 1/2 dlc coming out so soon seems kinda scummy and makes me hesitant to get the game. If the rpg mode is fun I can "justify" getting the game to myself by thinking im also getting a fun beatem up game. As far as the IP goes I have zero interest in granblue so it adds nothing for me, but the game itself looks fun and Im interested in picking up a new fighter.
It seems like something that would be more fun if you already liked Granblue's story. If you don't you can still enjoy it if you have a local or online co-op friend but the AI partner is kind of braindead at times.

I like the boss fights but I could do without all the early game tutorial missions. I get that the game is made for people that have never played a fighting game before but it's painful being spoonfed stuff I already know how to do. There's a lot of music that seems to be RPG mode only too which is okay I guess. But I really like some of the battle songs in there and would like to use them in Ranked.

I've been grinding the RPG mode's raid battles by myself to unlock better weapons for my inventory and I'm enjoying it for the most part. If you're the kind of person that likes Blazblue or Guilty Gear story modes then the visual novel and cutscene parts of the RPG mode wouldn't be offensive to you. There are other people that hate them and skip it all right away.

I ment Vane but his wiki page tells me he's a water user. I thought yellow equals lightning lol.
Vane is cool and he offers a weapon type that I don't think is even represented yet but Albert is one of my favorites just look at the guy in action.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like something that would be more fun if you already liked Granblue's story. If you don't you can still enjoy it if you have a local or online co-op friend but the AI partner is kind of braindead at times.

I like the boss fights but I could do without all the early game tutorial missions. I get that the game is made for people that have never played a fighting game before but it's painful being spoonfed stuff I already know how to do. There's a lot of music that seems to be RPG mode only too which is okay I guess. But I really like some of the battle songs in there and would like to use them in Ranked.

I've been grinding the RPG mode's raid battles by myself to unlock better weapons for my inventory and I'm enjoying it for the most part. If you're the kind of person that likes Blazblue or Guilty Gear story modes then the visual novel and cutscene parts of the RPG mode wouldn't be offensive to you. There are other people that hate them and skip it all right away.

Vane is cool and he offers a weapon type that I don't think is even represented yet but Albert is one of my favorites just look at the guy in action.
So much damage @_@
Currently there are no ailment moves so far but I wonder if future characters gonna have them.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
So what are the chances of Rosetta, Beatrix, or Lecia being in season 2 pass? Gotta imagine they'll have at least one character like that, no? Though I'm not too familiar with who is popular in GBF in Japan outside the huge favorites (like Narmaya).

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I ment Vane but his wiki page tells me he's a water user. I thought yellow equals lightning lol.
Ah, I see. Wouldn't mind for some more axe characters.

I have the english physical versions of the shadowverse Silva and Zooey from Anime exp they were giving out :)
s

Keep in mind if they do put her in it could be her regular sword and shield version.

I really want SV to get another granblue focused set loved all the art
This ain't Sword Emblem Versus, give me Gundam Zoi instead please.

Don't play SV but the art is pretty great.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Would be interesting to see a character who keeps inflicting self-paralysis (talking about Albert?)

So far all the playable characters have been granblue originals.

The only exception being I guess is Gran/Lyria's Bahamut call.

Ah, I see. Wouldn't mind for some more axe characters.

This ain't Sword Emblem Versus, give me Gundam Zoi instead please.

Don't play SV but the art is pretty great.

I mean I know you know but Zoi has 4 different sword skins (3 sword and board + 1 hander) plus her raid forms all being sword and board.

It's like if they add Vira game and not make her sword (and for the longest time Granblue was Ultima Sword Blue) even though she has a couple versions that aren't sword.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the chances of Rosetta, Beatrix, or Lecia being in season 2 pass? Gotta imagine they'll have at least one character like that, no? Though I'm not too familiar with who is popular in GBF in Japan outside the huge favorites (like Narmaya).
Chances of Beatrix seem like they would be pretty good. Vira is pretty much guaranteed by S2.

Zamaru

Nov 2, 2019
My current DLC wishlist character is Zooey and she's a pretty likely candidate all things considered. Also hope they get the rest of the Dragon Knights in sometime. My guilty pleasure pick would be Dork Dragoon Forte but alas, I fear that one is to remain a dream.

Also nice to see this game finally getting an OT! Lovin the title.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017

I feel like Beatrix has as much chance as Siegfried and Vane, they are super popular but we don't know how much Cygames wants to overpopulate the game with Society members and Dragon Knights when there's still various other cool character groups still, like the eternals, the evokers, divine generals, etc., and I feel like Ilsa or Eustace would be abetter pick since they represent a weapon type still not present in the roster.

Lecia and Monika could be cool characters and they are pretty popular and important so there's a decent chance.

Rosetta and the rest of the canon crew, who knows, but probably will just hang around in the background with Io, Eugen and Rackam.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, mega excited for Narmaya and Soriz. The former was one of my first pulls and the latter was Corthier 's so they hold a special place for us.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The load times in this game are BOOTY BUTT CHEEKS.

The RPG is more waiting than playing.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
First page for Ferry players learning how to block and that the evade button exist.

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the main crew, Rosetta seems like the most likely in terms of popularity and potentially having a unique play style. I'd like to see some of the arc 2 crew like Leona or Pholia but those seem unlikely.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I definitely think Zooey is the last character for Season 1, would prefer if she used her gun and shield, but I'm fine with any character that lets me Charging Star

if Season 2 is 6 characters i'd like it to go something like...

Belial (confirmed)
Vira (Grand)
Silva (gun user)
Yodarha (both his fishing pole and his dual katanas)
Seox (claws + Eternal rep)
and Black Knight (sword/gun/magic)

Other acceptable substitutions are:

Sturm und Drang (as a pair that you switch between, with the non-active member being a striker as a special move)
Orchid (Puppet user)
Magisa (Shabrys style puppet user and mage)
Anila (Polearm user with Terry Bogard References)
Any Bard Character (my preference is JJ)
Nicholas/Shirou or Robomi (because the game needs some of either of them)
Grimnir (polearm user, huge dork)

and many more

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Beatrix has as much chance as Siegfried and Vane, they are super popular but we don't know how much Cygames wants to overpopulate the game with Society members and Dragon Knights when there's still various other cool character groups still, like the eternals, the evokers, divine generals, etc., and I feel like Ilsa or Eustace would be abetter pick since they represent a weapon type still not present in the roster.

Lecia and Monika could be cool characters and they are pretty popular and important so there's a decent chance.

Rosetta and the rest of the canon crew, who knows, but probably will just hang around in the background with Io, Eugen and Rackam.

Lecia and Monika originally came from Rob., And so far all the characters in game are granblue originals. Rosetta is an odd case, Rose Queen is from Rob but Rosetta is from Granblue and we know Rose Queen is in the game. Rosetta is also a much more important member of the core crew.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I would be shocked if Season 2 didn't have Vira and Sandalphon.

I'd also wager one of Cagliostro or Clarisse will show up at some point.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really need a puppet character, for the love of god.

Nice OT, btw. Thanks for that.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I can't tell if Ladiva ain't it, or if this netcode is just that garbage, because her timing is all over teh place.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Lecia and Monika originally came from Rob., And so far all the characters in game are granblue originals. Rosetta is an odd case, Rose Queen is from Rob but Rosetta is from Granblue and we know Rose Queen is in the game. Rosetta is also a much more important member of the core crew.

Oh, didn't knew Lecia's and Monika's origins. Rosetta certainly has potential in moveset and is a pretty cool character so hoping for her is not farfetched.

Hoping for Jam Kuradoberi and Rock Howard to be in the second DLC

480px-Npc_zoom_3040083000_01.png
480px-Npc_zoom_3030078000_01.png

Same. I want my kick character, even Randall would suffice, and at least with Randal there's always his boyfriend Feather after him.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
MAAAAAAAAAAN, this shortcut button is doing nothing but give me bad habits.