• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Anyone from the EU with an import? It's very tempting to get this now, especially since a proper EU release will be probably dead anyway. How's the online experience in the EU?

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone from the EU with an import? It's very tempting to get this now, especially since a proper EU release will be probably dead anyway. How's the online experience in the EU?

The online has been okay in the EU so far. Lobbies and ranked are populated enough to quickly get matches during prime time and connections have been fine.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
The online has been okay in the EU so far. Lobbies and ranked are populated enough to quickly get matches during prime time and connections have been fine.

Thank you, that's great. I am going to take a plunge. I know almost nothing about GBF but it's ArcSys and the art reminds me of Akihiko Yoshida and a proper fantasy anime setting is always a plus :)

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, that's great. I am going to take a plunge. I know almost nothing about GBF but it's ArcSys and the art reminds me of Akihiko Yoshida and a proper fantasy anime setting is always a plus :)
The art director/character designer for the franchise (Hideo Minaba) worked alongside other FF artists on FFV, VI, IX, and XII previously.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017

What if told you the chief illustrators on Granblue Fantasy are Hideo Minaba and Akihiko Yoshida...

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
What if told you the chief illustrators on Granblue Fantasy are Hideo Minaba and Akihiko Yoshida...

Happy to hear that! But damn, I even checked his wiki entry to avoid looking like a fool. Didn't work I guess :D

Already made a HK account and bought the game. Excited to play it.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Man the Ferry/Katalina matchup is really really hard for Kat. Anyone got any tips? Her normals were completely oppressive

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man the Metera/Katalina matchup is really really hard for Kat. Anyone got any tips? Her normals were completely oppressive

I feel the complete opposite. Katalina is like the one character that gives me trouble with Metera lol

if it helps you at all, the things that give me a lot of trouble are her fireball and lunge attack which lets here get in pretty safely. Press that hell out of 5H because that button is insane and lets you hit confirm into full combos from like half a screen away, beats out a lot of my buttons because it seems to be active for a while, and is just generally a really good button.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dang Ferry mixed me up so much online I even got her name wrong. I meant Ferry, not Metera lol
Ah. Yeah, I don't have as much trouble against Katalina using Ferry, though generally I think Katalina can hang in the fireball game at least. Ferry's whips don't go fullscreen. Just be careful about the ex grab because that's the one thing that does and pretty much her main answer to the fireball.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Ah. Yeah, I don't have as much trouble against Katalina using Ferry, though generally I think Katalina can hang in the fireball game at least. Ferry's whips don't go fullscreen. Just be careful about the ex grab because that's the one thing that does and pretty much her main answer to the fireball.

Aah, so the grab is a Skill! I thought it was her unique. I gotta eye that cooldown meter then. That 2U has a gigantic range but at least I'll feel I'll be able to do something then. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017

EQoDP-6U8AAfTP3

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man the Ferry/Katalina matchup is really really hard for Kat. Anyone got any tips? Her normals were completely oppressive
Hang out around this range unless you get really close

If she isn't near the corner follow up with the M thrust instead of EX

If you are in that funky spot a little closer to her there than kat is in the vid jump back and use a falling j.H

When you see her twirl her whip and you are close it's safe to roll forward

Once you are pretty close to her use c.M and H to pressure with fireballs.

Take the match slow and steady unless you already got her pinned down

Kikirin

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a bad time. Some things that might help:

Kat's 214x can help keep Ferry from swinging out of disadvantage (after a blocked normal/236x) at further distances. 214M's startup backstep can force a whiff from the max distance of f.5M/2M/f.5H and lunge in before she can recover from the whiff. 214H can also punish if you react to the whiffed normal fast enough.

Ferry's f.5M/2M/f.5H > 236x blockstring has a gap that can be rolled through. Depending on distance, you might be able to punish with a f.5M/2M starter.

f.5M/2M/f.5H has extended hurtboxes during startup and along the extended whip. At further distances you can try to swing at a whiffed whip normal, and at closer you can try extending a poke before the whip starts up completely to stuff it. If you jumped over the poke, j.U can also hit the extended hurtbox. If you're feeling particularly saucy, you can DP through them too - fullscreen L DP can be hard to punish if the Ferry isn't prepared for it. These options should be experimented in training, and is done more on anticipation than reaction. Note that Ferry 236x does not have an extended hurtbox and you'll get hit for attempting these against it.

At half screen distance or closer, 5U can be an option to armor a poke/236x . Briefly hold 5U to armor a hit and release to counterattack. This will likely stuff all cancel options off the poke except 236H. You'll need to backdash cancel this attack on hit or block to avoid being punished.

Be careful of using f.5M/2M > 236x blockstrings from max range - Ferry can mash during the gap: 2U to trade for a knockdown, or 2M to low profile the fireball and hit you. If you are up against a player that knows this, you can cancel into 214x once in a while instead for a counterhit.

Allegedly Kat's c.5a can meaty while recovering fast enough to block all of Ferry's reversals off a knockdown.

It feels like it generally isn't worth trying to get in and take your turn after blocking Ferry's 214x or 5U. It puts her barely beyond f.5M/2M distance and isn't minus enough to dissuade pressing something as you approach.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Hang out around this range unless you get really close

If she isn't near the corner follow up with the M thrust instead of EX

If you are in that funky spot a little closer to her there than kat is in the vid jump back and use a falling j.H

When you see her twirl her whip and you are close it's safe to roll forward

Once you are pretty close to her use c.M and H to pressure with fireballs.

Take the match slow and steady unless you already got her pinned down

Damn, thanks Q! I was really lost at what range to be as it seemed she had the entire screen at her disposition. Gotta fish for those CHs.

It's definitely a bad time. Some things that might help:

Kat's 214x can help keep Ferry from swinging out of disadvantage (after a blocked normal/236x) at further distances. 214M's startup backstep can force a whiff from the max distance of f.5M/2M/f.5H and lunge in before she can recover from the whiff. 214H can also punish if you react to the whiffed normal fast enough.

Ferry's f.5M/2M/f.5H > 236x blockstring has a gap that can be rolled through. Depending on distance, you might be able to punish with a f.5M/2M starter.

f.5M/2M/f.5H has extended hurtboxes during startup and along the extended whip. At further distances you can try to swing at a whiffed whip normal, and at closer you can try extending a poke before the whip starts up completely to stuff it. If you jumped over the poke, j.U can also hit the extended hurtbox. If you're feeling particularly saucy, you can DP through them too - fullscreen L DP can be hard to punish if the Ferry isn't prepared for it. These options should be experimented in training, and is done more on anticipation than reaction. Note that Ferry 236x does not have an extended hurtbox and you'll get hit for attempting these against it.

At half screen distance or closer, 5U can be an option to armor a poke/236x . Briefly hold 5U to armor a hit and release to counterattack. This will likely stuff all cancel options off the poke except 236H. You'll need to backdash cancel this attack on hit or block to avoid being punished.

Be careful of using f.5M/2M > 236x blockstrings from max range - Ferry can mash during the gap: 2U to trade for a knockdown, or 2M to low profile the fireball and hit you. If you are up against a player that knows this, you can cancel into 214x once in a while instead for a counterhit.

Allegedly Kat's c.5a can meaty while recovering fast enough to block all of Ferry's reversals off a knockdown.

Wow! This def makes the matchup seem a lot more doable. What a treasure trove of knowledge. Thanks! I have a lot to lab out now.

Kikirin

Oct 25, 2017
Aye, c.5A/c.5L.
twitter.com

PG | SKD @ SHOCK STATE on Twitter

“Kat and gran can meaty 5a and block every reversal in the game, no need for safejumps lmao”
twitter.com

PG | SKD @ SHOCK STATE on Twitter

“Reversals vs Meaty normals (usually cL unless noted) 7f reversals: Kat, Gran, Ferry (EX), Perc 8f reversal: Charlotta SSBA (lol) Block all: Kat, Gran, Vas, Ladiva Block 8f: Zeta, Charl, Lowain, Perc, Metera (2a) Block everything else: Lancelot, Ferry(cM!)”

Kikirin

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! This def makes the matchup seem a lot more doable. What a treasure trove of knowledge. Thanks! I have a lot to lab out now.
No problem! It'll still be hell even after knowing these options are available, and not many of them seem very stable in the heat of battle so far. Arguably it might make things worse if the opponent catches on and lets you hang yourself by doing nothing or by changing up their timings. But maybe that's better than letting them press buttons for free all day.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
No problem! It'll still be hell even after knowing these options are available, and not many of them seem very stable in the heat of battle so far. Arguably it might make things worse if the opponent catches on and lets you hang yourself by doing nothing or by changing up their timings. But maybe that's better than letting them press buttons for free all day.

Ah, it's at least something to keep in mind.

My on-the-fly strategy that I created when I was playing was using Kat's U to block the low and usually CH the grab but it was inconsistent and got predictable really fast. Having more options at least will give me more ways to try and mixup the other player.

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they improve the loading times in RPG mode eventually. The tower is real rough since you need to load between each floor and early on, the loads can take longer than some of the floors.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of RPG mode, is hard mode like a New Game + where you start from the beginning but with all your characters/equipment from Normal? Or do you start all over again from scratch with only Gran?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of RPG mode, is hard mode like a New Game + where you start from the beginning but with all your characters/equipment from Normal? Or do you start all over again from scratch with only Gran?
You keep all the characters/equipment. All the hard mode quest allow co-op as well, when only the raid battles had it in normal mode for some reason.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only dub that sounds off to me is percival and it's not so much the acting but the audio mixing sounds off for his recordings compared to everyone else

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the best way to get it from HK store?
You don't have to do HK, you can do Singapore too. I bought my cards on Lazada.sg, its in SGD and the cards there were pretty cheap.
Most of the sites selling HK currency, like offgamers/seagm/play-asia, have marked their pricing up quite a bit.