• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Soo any good resources/tutorials on how to get technical movements out consistently?

I'm pretty good with the movements in streetfighter like with Nash I can go from jabs/specials into supers easily but here I'm kinda struggling to do the input fast enough. I feel like it's not buffering like it does in Streetfighter so either the 1 quarter circle special comes out or I press it too early trying to do it quickly and mess up my normal.

For record I'm going through the combo missions and found Grans heavy, projectile heavy, 2heavy, ex boot, medium into super a challenge to do where the super either comes out late or I'm pressing it so fast the medium ends up a crouching sweep. I did it using the ability button but damn are people really able to do 2 quater circles consistently that fast? I feel like there's barely any time to do it after the standing medium.

Now finding the problem again with Ladiva's challenge. Trying to do jU, medium, heavy lariat, 2m - super I just couldn't get that super motion to come out despite practicing the motion for a couple of hours. I can do it consistently but from a jab I can see my controller hitting the quater circle marks and the button highlighting the forward zone and nothing comes out and all I can think is the inputs being eaten somewhere.

Can do it with the ability button but trying not to learn on that crutch too hard but feel I may have to...

I can do them easily from autocombos and specials but from these quick jabs I can't do shit and wondering if it's just me

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man, a crouching Zeta is starting to resemble old school 1992 crouch guile.

WOW! The netcode in this game fucking sucks. Way to eat a simple 236+U+O NINE TIMES IN A ROW

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Soo any good resources/tutorials on how to get technical movements out consistently?

I'm pretty good with the movements in streetfighter like with Nash I can go from jabs/specials into supers easily but here I'm kinda struggling to do the input fast enough. I feel like it's not buffering like it does in Streetfighter so either the 1 quarter circle special comes out or I press it too early trying to do it quickly and mess up my normal.

For record I'm going through the combo missions and found Grans heavy, projectile heavy, 2heavy, ex boot, medium into super a challenge to do where the super either comes out late or I'm pressing it so fast the medium ends up a crouching sweep. I did it using the ability button but damn are people really able to do 2 quater circles consistently that fast? I feel like there's barely any time to do it after the standing medium.

Now finding the problem again with Ladiva's challenge. Trying to do jU, medium, heavy lariat, 2m - super I just couldn't get that super motion to come out despite practicing the motion for a couple of hours. I can do it consistently but from a jab I can see my controller hitting the quater circle marks and the button highlighting the forward zone and nothing comes out and all I can think is the inputs being eaten somewhere.

Can do it with the ability button but trying not to learn on that crutch too hard but feel I may have to...

I can do them easily from autocombos and specials but from these quick jabs I can't do shit and wondering if it's just me

I think at the level you're at (manage to be able to do every command on it's own), it's just a matter of practice and muscle memory. Try executing the special as soon as you press the normal.

Also, isn't Ladiva's super a 720? It's not a double quartercircle like the rest of the cast if I remember correctly

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think at the level you're at (manage to be able to do every command on it's own), it's just a matter of practice and muscle memory. Try executing the special as soon as you press the normal.

Also, isn't Ladiva's super a 720?
It's 2 720's for the super super (forget the name) but for the regular it's 2 x quarter circle forward for the lariat starter and backwards for the throw.

Yea I'll keep pactising. I can do stuff like the 2 x 720's fine from auto combos and heavys but followibg those medium normals damn it's irking me.

Ah well guess I just gotta get fast hands, stopped today cause they've went a bit raw.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Seems to be getting a lot of hype in the west. In Japan it seems to be getting review bombed for some reason

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It's 2 720's for the super super (forget the name) but for the regular it's 2 x quarter circle forward for the lariat starter and backwards for the throw.

Yea I'll keep pactising. I can do stuff like the 2 x 720's fine from auto combos and heavys but followibg those medium normals damn it's irking me.

Ah well guess I just gotta get fast hands, stopped today cause they've went a bit raw.

Aah, I see! You're gonna get used to it, just gotta keep playing! Execution skills come with time and practice. As I said, as soon as you press M, already start to input your quarter circles

You got this!

Seems to be getting a lot of hype in the west. In Japan it seems to be getting review bombed for some reason

Huh, that's weird. I wonder if it's because of the exclusive skins for the mobile game. The game is really, really good, one of ASW's best

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
From what I gathered from poorly translated Amazon reviews, the bad reviews are primarily from RPG fans (who I imagine make up the majority of Granblue's audience) who don't care about fighting games disappointed with the RPG mode.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
From what I gathered from poorly translated Amazon reviews, the bad reviews are primarily from RPG fans (who I imagine make up the majority of Granblue's audience) who don't care about fighting games disappointed with the RPG mode.

I honestly don't know how you can be dissapointed in the rpg mode when the browser game's RPG mode is 100 times more simple than this. The format is basically 1:1.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Casual fan would expect more screen time with their favorite character. I would care less about that, I like this game as a fighting game and I see a lot positive impression from japanese fgc. My single complaint so far is not having the rpg mode' tracks for versus mode.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Casual fan would expect more screen time with their favorite character. I would care less about that, I like this game as a fighting game and I see a lot positive impression from japanese fgc. My single complaint so far is not having the rpg mode' tracks for versus mode.

How would they even do that?

I don't even know what that would look like

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
rpg mode boss fights were great, loading times not so much also let me use those songs in vs wtf

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Guess I should have read them. Usually Amazon japan reviews don't mean a thing in general I suppose

Kaze

Oct 28, 2017
The RPG mode has clearly some flaws like the long ass load times, the story not being interesting (not surprising considering the roster and when we had one of the best story event last month in the mobage) as well as the controls. But yeah, I wouldn't look into the bad reviews too much, some people weren't interested in the game to begin with and are just salty they have to finish the RPG Mode on hard to get the rewards. Some even complained that it was impossible to beat it because they couldn't do the easy input for SBA so they had to give up .

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, these reviews on the Japanese Amazon page are testament to the successful marketing of the game. The earnable codes have coaxed a lot of newbies in, but they are all throwing a fit because they can't handle the game itself. Still, I would call that a success.

Oct 26, 2017
My problem with the RPG mode is this.

They didn't write the story like their usual good events like the new Society stuff and What Makes the Sky Blue. Instead they went for the old style they abandoned with a really simple/predictable story where the party gets attacked by monsters/enemies after every conversation. This results in weird pacing where you can't get a good stream of story stuff since they have to tack on a fight in the end.

GBF fixed this by getting rid of the shitty trash mob fights that die in one hit since they were a waste of time and a poor excuse for "gameplay".

The result is the kinds of stories they made got better as they could do more since they were no longer bound to having the party get attacked by something after every convo.

The story is kind of lame, since you go through the same plot point multiple times for every character in the cast. Uh oh someone's memories got fucked with, now we have to fight them! Oh sorry guys, I don't know what came over me, how can I repay you? Oh let me tag along and help you out repeated x10.

It's the same thing that happened in the mobile game. And the way to fix the story quality is to no longer tie it to that needless restriction of having "THEY'RE COMING RIGHT FOR US" at the end of every convo since that kneecaps what they can do with the story.

The boss fights are cool, but the weak trash mobs that litter the stages inbetween boss fights are IMO a snooze fest. I like the boss fights, but having to go through lame mobs was not.

This would have been a lot better if they did the story like GGXrd did except keep some boss fights. That way they have more freedom to write the story while having key encounters against large enemies with some gameplay.

Maybe it's just me but I'd happily sacrifice everything except the boss stages to get a better written story.

To sum things up they should have done a few things differently;

1. Remove trash mob fights as they interrupt the pacing of the story in every scene since they need to have something attack the party every conversation.

2. Write a story like they do in the mobile game. GBF abandoned the type of story you see in the RPG mode a long time ago. And for good reason. Contrived reasoning to have all the playable characters attack the party is lame, especially since the exact same reason is reused for every character. After seeing it the first time you've essentiallly seen 90% of the story mode's story already.

3. Make it like GGXrd's story mode. Keeping the text boxes and character positions and same visual novel style setup is a nod to the original game. But I think it would have been better if it had the camera work/environs of GGXrd's story mode.

4. Keep the boss fights so you still have climactic moments where you can play, but it's actual content that is worth playing instead of waiting through long load times to kill weak trash mobs.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the story spends a lot of time introducing characters for people that aren't super familiar with granblue. Which I guess is fine, but kinda limits what they can do with it. It also ends kinda on a cliffhanger and having just finished hard mode, there doesn't seem to be any secret ending? So I wonder if they plan on expanding the RPG mode in the future.

Mechanically though, it's probably one of the more fun single player modes I've done in a fighting game. Especially on hard difficulty when boss fights have legit mechanics you need to watch out for.

Oct 26, 2017
the story spends a lot of time introducing characters for people that aren't supe familiar with granblue. Which I guess is fine, but kinda limits what they can do with it. It also ends kinda on a cliffhanger and having just finished hard mode, there doesn't seem to be any secret ending? So I wonder if they plan on expanding the RPG mode in the future.

Mechanically though, it's probably one of the more fun single player modes I've done in a fighting game. Especially on hard difficulty when boss fights have legit mechanics you need to watch out for.

The boss fights are really cool imo.

I just don't like the general mob fights inbetween them.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with everything you said. While I was going through the RPG mode I quickly noticed that it was using a style of story telling that the mobile game abandoned a long time ago and my heart sunk lol.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trash mob fight mission once in a while for every new character you recruit so you could get a feel for them but after every conversation is just too much.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
the story spends a lot of time introducing characters for people that aren't super familiar with granblue. Which I guess is fine, but kinda limits what they can do with it. It also ends kinda on a cliffhanger and having just finished hard mode, there doesn't seem to be any secret ending? So I wonder if they plan on expanding the RPG mode in the future.

I swear I remember them saying that they're going to expand the RPG mode when the DLC comes out.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

They didn't write the story like their usual good events like the new Society stuff and What Makes the Sky Blue. Instead they went for the old style they abandoned with a really simple/predictable story where the party gets attacked by monsters/enemies after every conversation. This results in weird pacing where you can't get a good stream of story stuff since they have to tack on a fight in the end.

GBF fixed this by getting rid of the shitty trash mob fights that die in one hit since they were a waste of time and a poor excuse for "gameplay".

The result is the kinds of stories they made got better as they could do more since they were no longer bound to having the party get attacked by something after every convo.

The story is kind of lame, since you go through the same plot point multiple times for every character in the cast. Uh oh someone's memories got fucked with, now we have to fight them! Oh sorry guys, I don't know what came over me, how can I repay you? Oh let me tag along and help you out repeated x10.

It's the same thing that happened in the mobile game. And the way to fix the story quality is to no longer tie it to that needless restriction of having "THEY'RE COMING RIGHT FOR US" at the end of every convo since that kneecaps what they can do with the story.

The boss fights are cool, but the weak trash mobs that litter the stages inbetween boss fights are IMO a snooze fest. I like the boss fights, but having to go through lame mobs was not.

This would have been a lot better if they did the story like GGXrd did except keep some boss fights. That way they have more freedom to write the story while having key encounters against large enemies with some gameplay.

Maybe it's just me but I'd happily sacrifice everything except the boss stages to get a better written story.

To sum things up they should have done a few things differently;

1. Remove trash mob fights as they interrupt the pacing of the story in every scene since they need to have something attack the party every conversation.

2. Write a story like they do in the mobile game. GBF abandoned the type of story you see in the RPG mode a long time ago. And for good reason. Contrived reasoning to have all the playable characters attack the party is lame, especially since the exact same reason is reused for every character. After seeing it the first time you've essentiallly seen 90% of the story mode's story already.

3. Make it like GGXrd's story mode. Keeping the text boxes and character positions and same visual novel style setup is a nod to the original game. But I think it would have been better if it had the camera work/environs of GGXrd's story mode.

4. Keep the boss fights so you still have climactic moments where you can play, but it's actual content that is worth playing instead of waiting through long load times to kill weak trash mobs.

I think the big problem here is that the RPG Mode is, functionally, a beat 'em up. It isn't actually an RPG (though it obviously has RPG elements). Personally, that makes me very happy. However, I get that you want more RPG in your RPG Mode. I would be less interested in the RPG Mode you are suggesting. I like the idea of a beat 'em up being included with my fighting games.

We do agree that the story could have definitely been better, though. They probably should have gone back to the drawing board with that one. Also, the mobs really don't put up much of a fight. I am hoping that they are more aggressive when I play through the hard mode.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I swear I remember them saying that they're going to expand the RPG mode when the DLC comes out.
I hope they do. Especially since they pretty much put the entirety of the grid system with new weapons you can grind, which seems kinda meaningless atm without any harder challenges. If you know anything about the grid system in granblue you can S rank every hard mission with just a SR grid.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with everything you said. While I was going through the RPG mode I quickly noticed that it was using a style of story telling that the mobile game abandoned a long time ago and my heart sunk lol.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trash mob fight mission once in a while for every new character you recruit so you could get a feel for them but after every conversation is just too much.

I consider it a missed opportunity because it is sort of a sequel to WMTSB yet it is nowhere near it in terms of quality.

I think the big problem here is that the RPG Mode is, functionally, a beat 'em up. It isn't actually an RPG (though it obviously has RPG elements). Personally, that makes me very happy. However, I get that you want more RPG in your RPG Mode. I would be less interested in the RPG Mode you are suggesting. I like the idea of a beat 'em up being included with my fighting games.

We do agree that the story could have definitely been better, though. They probably should have gone back to the drawing board with that one. Also, the mobs really don't put up much of a fight. I am hoping that they are more aggressive when I play through the hard mode.

In hard mode Bosses do more damage and have new mechanics that you have to watch out for. Out of everything, I consider those to be the definite highlight of the RPG mode.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the US release till I jump into RPG mode. I really don't feel like doing that twice and I don't want to mess up the code by using the wrong account.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to shit on anyone who enjoys the RPG mode by the way. Just saying that I think it could be better.

they did say that, each DLC character is going to come with a small story expansion (kinda like Fate Episodes) and then Season 2 will come with a meatier story addition

That's good news.

I'm interested especially in the season 2 story part since I didn't know about that before.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, I think the best way to fix the RPG Mode would have been to focus less on the story and more on entertaining mob encounters (the boss encounters are already pretty entertaining). The story often disrupts the action. Not that the story shouldn't be there at all, some of these character interactions are very charming, they just needed to make sure the game part more consistently compelling. It would have been great if they could have made a few longer, scrolling stages to help fully deliver the beat 'em up experience, too.

The story also clearly needed a rehaul. Though, having to write less would probably help in this regard as well. It gives them more time to comb over it and make improvements.

Oct 27, 2017
I consider it a missed opportunity because it is sort of a sequel to WMTSB yet it is nowhere near it in terms of quality.
Well here's hoping that they get feedback on RPG mode. They've already said that they're going to be adding to it in interviews so hopefully it's more of the good stuff and less of the bad. For instance more Raid bosses and less mobs.

Generally, I think the best way to fix the RPG Mode would have been to focus less on the story and more on entertaining mob encounters (the boss encounters are already pretty entertaining). The story often disrupts the action. Not that the story shouldn't be there at all, some of these character interactions are very charming, they just needed to make sure the game part more consistently compelling. It would have been great if they could have made a few longer, scrolling stages to help fully deliver the beat 'em up experience, too.
How would you feel about some light platforming elements in the longer stages? Maybe even having to use certain special moves to get to certain optional parts of the stage?

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any reason why you still hear English voices while playing with Japanese audio on? I guess the person I was playing against had it on. I also can't tell if that's a bug or if it's intentional or not.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have made a mistake. I beat the rpg mode on my us account rip

So is there any reason why you still hear English voices while playing with Japanese audio on? Can't tell if that's a bug or if it's intentional?
You hear what the other player uses. It's a thing they have done since BB, think of it like a vocal cosmetic option to make players stand out a bit more

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is a stage that shakes things up a bit. It's basically like 10+ rooms that you want to run through as quick as possible, and the monsters in between try to delay you. In hard mode at least, that stage has some interesting monster patters. Some will try to sweep you and some will be spamming uppercuts. It's very annoying unless you know how to specifically deal with them lol

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Would it be worth creating a JPN PSN to play this anyone try it out? Really itching to get labbing in this game.

Does play-Asia do instant code delivery for PSN?

Kikirin

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't done the missions in question, but for Gran's it seems like you can take advantage of the fact that your projectile is locked out on cooldown to input the stand M > super as quarter circle M, quarter circle H.

For Ladiva's, you can shorten the input time some if you input 2M as being the first part of the first quarter circle. So in numpad it'd be 2M36,236H. You want to be already continuing the quarter circle motions the moment you hit M.

redmambaxiii

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is there any good guides on buying this game early? Or can someone hit my PM to let me know the cheapest/easiest way to get it right now?

edit: never mind, I am buying right now ☺️

Last edited:

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the demotion in ranked is kinda steep. Lost one set after getting to B5 Rank and it busted me right down to the start of C1. Had to play my ass off just to get back to B5 and tried to end on a high note while I still could

I am getting wrecked in lobbies (my god some people have played a lot already), but I might need to chill there for a second

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any good guides on buying this game early? Or can someone hit my PM to let me know the cheapest/easiest way to get it right now?

No problem, my dude.

1. Go get another e-mail (or if you have another one kicking around that isn't connected to PSN, use that).

2. Create a new user on your PS4. It will ask you to create a new PSN account. Do that (using your new e-mail). It will ask you your country: enter Singapore, Taiwan, or Hong Kong (there are other countries that sell the appropriate version of GBV, but I know both of those have it). I used Singapore, personally (it was a tiny bit cheaper).

*this step is pretty self-explanatory, as you just need to follow the steps and you can do them all in English. The only hurdle may be the address section, but you can just list your city as Hong Kong for Hong Kong, and Singapore for Singapore (look up a postal code for either online).​

3. Buy a PSN card from one of the many sites that sell them. I went with Offgamers, but I just checked and they are out of PSN cards for Singapore, but they do have some for Hong Kong. Playasia is also a popular site to go with. Either will send you the code quite quickly.

4. Enter the PSN card number into PSN to claim your money and then buy the game.

Last edited:

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in this game but is the RPG mode any good? Looks pretty cool from trailers, what's the general consensus on it?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Lol screw esports and all that trying to appease the West
Sawada: In GBF, Metera's costume shows a lot of skin, so Cygames' idea was to adjust it for expansion into foreign markets and for esports considerations. So, we gave her some hotpants in her default outfit, and adjusted her outfit to lower the amount of skin shown. However, if you clear RPG Mode, you can pick her original outfit – this works for Zeta, too, you can get her original GBF costume in GBVS.

Anbe: A lot of the development staff said "We want to keep it!" and we complied.

Sawada: The lead modeling staff said that "Adding more cloth to Metera's outfit makes her not Metera anymore. Fans of the original won't be happy." and wouldn't budge (rueful laugh). But when we were discussing esports, we said "We might not want to add too many more characters who show that much skin", so we added the original outfit as a bonus.

wonder if Arc Sys themselves are thinking like this as well now because in that case rip Dizzy's design or Dizzy as a whole

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, it's fine since they left it as an option

Yeah but the part about it potentially affecting future character choices isn't fine. Metera has one of coolest and most interesting movesets. If she wasn't in the game she would be the kind of character possibly thrown out of consideration because of her design and the same could be the case with another character who could have ended up with a great moveset

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the part about it potentially affecting future character choices isn't fine. Metera has one of coolest and most interesting movesets. If she wasn't in the game she would be the kind of character possibly thrown out of consideration because of her design and the same could be the case with another character who could have ended up with a great moveset

Let's be honest... Would those characters get picked because they have cool move sets? Or because some developers find them hot? Considering how adamant they were on at least keeping her original design as an unlockable... Methinks the latter is more likely.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Lol screw esports and all that trying to appease the West

wonder if Arc Sys themselves are thinking like this as well now because in that case rip Dizzy's design or Dizzy as a whole
There's already a fully clothed version of Dizzy so it's not like they have to get rid of her or anything.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I mean I'm trying to think of a character who both shows more skin than Metera and is interesting enough to get in anyway but I'm coming up with nothing.