• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Last year there was gun safety, then this year the Apple exploits/privacy safety, now radiation safety. Teens are on a roll.

Hope no one here spent time hanging out near the taxidermy exhibit.

BBTLCgK.img

For nearly two decades at the Grand Canyon in Arizona, tourists, employees, and children on tours passed by three paint buckets stored in the National Park's museum collection building, unaware that they were being exposed to radiation.

Although federal officials learned last year that the five-gallon containers were brimming with uranium ore, then removed the radioactive specimens, the park's safety director alleges nothing was done to warn park workers or the public that they might have been exposed to unsafe levels of radiation.

"If you were in the Museum Collections Building (2C) between the year 2000 and June 18, 2018, you were 'exposed' to uranium by OSHA's definition," Stephenson wrote. "The radiation readings, at first blush, exceeds (sic) the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's safe limits. … Identifying who was exposed, and your exposure level, gets tricky and is our next important task."

Stephenson said the containers were stored next to a taxidermy exhibit, where children on tours sometimes stopped for presentations, sitting next to uranium for 30 minutes or more. By his calculation, those children could have received radiation dosages in excess of federal safety standards within three seconds, and adults could have suffered dangerous exposure in less than a half-minute.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission measures radiation contamination in millisieverts per hour or per year. According to Stephenson, close exposures to the uranium buckets could have exposed adults to 400 times the health limit — and children to 4,000 times what is considered safe.

Davis declined to address Stephenson's assertion that thousands of people may have been exposed to dangerous levels of radiation, or his allegation that the Park Service violated the law by not issuing a public warning.

Stephenson said the uranium threat was discovered in March 2018 by the teenage son of a park employee who happened to be a Geiger counter enthusiast, and brought a device to the museum collection room.

Workers immediately moved the buckets to another location in the building, he said, but nothing else was done.

The technicians reached the Grand Canyon several days after his call, on June 18. Lacking protective clothing, they purchased dish-washing and gardening gloves, then used a broken mop handle to lift the buckets into a truck, Stephenson said.

Those details are corroborated by photographs Stephenson included in a 45-page slideshow created to document the radiation exposure and alleged cover-up.

Stephenson said technicians concealed the radiation readings from him and dumped the ore into Orphan Mine, an old uranium dig that is considered a potential Superfund site below the Rim, about two miles from Grand Canyon Village.

He said high-level officials in the Park Service developed a "secrecy pact" to conceal radiation exposure data despite his insistence that a "Right to Know" law mandates public disclosure.

The report indicated radiation levels at 13.9 millirems per hour where the buckets were stored, and 800 per hour on contact with the ore. Just five feet from the buckets, there was a zero reading.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says a maximum safe dosage for the public, beyond natural radiation, is no more than 2 millirems per hour, or 100 per year.

The report's recommendations did not call for public notification, but suggested guidelines for handling and storing geology samples in the future.

"Of particular concern are 1000s of children attending 'shows' in very close proximity to the uranium," he wrote. Those presentations lasted a half hour or more, he said, yet radiation dosages could have exceeded federal safety standards within seconds.

Stephenson said he's heard nothing from superiors at the Park Service since he sent the warning letter.

"They're in cover-up mode," he said. "I've been cut off from any kind of information."

Source:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...useum-building-safety-manager-says/ar-BBTLyV5

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Wow!! How could they try to cover this up, so many people could have been exposed and not known.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
This is fucking nuts! The headline reads like a randomly generated news story headline. Sounds like there is a very real possibility some people or children suffered large exposures. Wow. Insane.

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
The goggles, they do nothing!

(Holy shit though. The damage this could cause is practically immeasurable.)

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
Why was that shit there in the first place. USA takes huge precautions regulating this shit and it was just chillin there.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I don't even know where to begin. Why would you keep radioactive shit just hanging around?

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much above natural radiation levels (say, a lifetime of riding airplanes) would this compare to though?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been to the grand canyon museum. Like, 2 decades ago. Eh. Radiation from that's minimal.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Reading the full article is something else. safety inspectors showed up after the ore was dumped in a mine. The guys that dumped the ore BROUGHT BACK THE BUCKETS to the museum. The inspectors examined the buckets.

WHAT THE FUCK!

Jasconius

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Literally everything in this article is insane.

How did they end up with three paint buckets with uranium in them in the first place?
There are people who just take geiger counters with them everywhere they go?? (I mean this is cool but still kind of an insane coincidence)
The first thing they did was move the buckets somewhere else in the building but just kind of ignore them???
They bought GARDENING GLOVES to protect themselves from the radiation????
THEY BROUGHT BACK THE BUCKETS AFTER DUMPING THEM?!?!?!
and.... they took pictures of all of this even though they seemed to be trying to make the problem disappear?

How is this real life?
Why the hell would the buckets just be left there for almost 20 years?
Actually this is the least insane part though, I mean I'm sure there are many museums with totally random things in them that no one knows or cares about for decades, and when you're near a uranium mine maybe some of them are radioactive. Still insane, though.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
"And no, these buckets aren't paint, they're uranium."

Last edited:

dangeROSS

Oct 28, 2017
That is literally insane. So they just left some random buckets in a location for 18 years without ever cleaning up or noticing them? And their response to it is to clean it up with rubber gloves and broken mop? The whole thing would be comical if it wasn't for the fact that many people might have been horribly affected by the mess.

Edit - And after reading the article it sounds like they returned the containers to the site after emptying them? What??

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh geiger counter enthusiast sounds like a cool hobby.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, actual plastic buckets??? I thought this might be industrial grade custom "buckets". WTF.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, what we need are less stringent environmental protection / hazardous waste disposal laws, all this red tape is hurting small business owners.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay I think I was definitely in one of these buildings at some point many years so am I dead yet

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Why was that shit there in the first place. USA takes huge precautions regulating this shit and it was just chillin there.

I don't get this. Why was it even there? This story sounds so strange. Is there any possible explanation as why uranium was just chilling out in the open?

Also it's a little unclear from the article how exposed people were... It was literally just in open, exposed buckets next to an exhibit? Like someone could have reached in and touched it? I don't really know what uranium is I guess...

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The buckets were in a different storage area for decades before they were moved in 2000. I'm guessing they were just a bunch of samples someone collected that unknowingly contained uranium.

They opened a new building they were probably looking for things to display," hey how about these geologic samples in these buckets, sure!"

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Shame to see one of the greatest wonders of the world turn into a tourist trap over the years with all these shitty tours and glass bridges and shit. Now we got one of our (probably) overpriced and woefully terrible museums giving people cancer. *facepalm*

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Nuclear engineer here. You want to spend a lot or a little?
I dunno, I mostly just wanted to make that joke. I'd be kinda down to get one if I could record readings and chuck it in MATLAB or something though. Would I be able to find significant but not fatal levels of radiation just walking around?

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Nuclear engineer here. You want to spend a lot or a little?
Out of curiosity, what would you suggest in the $100-200 mark? Or does that qualify as 'little'? I interned a long time ago at a nuclear/medical physics facility and we had to wear dosimeters (TRIUMF up in Vancouver BC), that's about the extent of my exposure to that stuff.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what would you suggest in the $100-200 mark? Or does that qualify as 'little'? I interned a long time ago at a nuclear/medical physics facility and we had to wear dosimeters (TRIUMF up in Vancouver BC), that's about the extent of my exposure to that stuff.
Fun fact: you were probably just wearing around a piece of film in a plastic case.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Huh...I guess this is where I admit I'm a meter snob. At that price range just go for something cheap. A lot of stuff under $1k is fly by night. I might suggest looking up some meters from the 70s on eBay and then buying a new tube for them. I'll ask around for more info and get back to you.