• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"I do not agree with their ideology and the policies of the owners, but I'm not here to support the policy of the owner. I'm here to have a meal that I really enjoy," Tony Onder told CBC News.

🤔

By buying a meal there, you're giving them money to further push their agenda and policies. How is that a hard concept for someone to grasp?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know that this isn't what I should be taking away from this but did someone seriously camp overnight for Chick-fil-A?

Bruh
Not that this excuses it, but I *think* if you're first in line at a Chick-Fil-A opening they sometimes give out a card for a free year of food or something. I know they used to, or at least have done it before. Whether or not that's the case here I don't know, but maybe?

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people on this forum have no problem talking about eating there. Is the chicken that good?

I eat there, I like their food, I think it is good for fast food. They get the food out quickly and the employees are always really happy and smiling in mine.

IMO I find boycotting companies to be kinda silly. There is going to someone in all places that have views you don't agree with, I am not going to stop eating and shopping in all stores.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wasn't Chick Fil A already in Canada years ago? I could swear I had a sandwich from them when I was in the Calgary airport on a Banff trip a few years back.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
🤔

By buying a meal there, you're giving them money to further push their agenda and policies. How is that a hard concept for someone to grasp?
They grasp it, they just don't care, which personally I would be fine with if they were honest about their indifference to the community. It's being two faced I have a problem with.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
I do despise their politics, but I also miss having them everywhere like I did in NC. Maybe this is just my clean eating diet getting to me though.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think by this point CFA should be more than well enough aware of what their support of regressive religious organizations looks like.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Going there with my girlfriend next weekend.

I had it in the states when I visited California and it's alright, but I wanna see how it is here.

It's probably not going to be better than Union or Rudy's chicken sandwiches

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I don't get it either. Not really sure how the cultish culture started around the chain. Like yeah the food is pretty good(even though I no longer eat there) but no fast food is worth that much trouble. I don't even think waiting an hour for that recent sandwich at Popeyes is worth it, but whatever.

It's almost more about the zeitgeist than the actual product. People wait in line for all sorts of dumb things now, it's just a part of our culture.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"I do not agree with their ideology and the policies of the owners, but I'm not here to support the policy of the owner. I'm here to have a meal that I really enjoy," Tony Onder told CBC News.
Holy shit, people really do not get it.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
am i missing something? people yelling about Alberta voters when the protestors being discussed are in Toronto?

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I don't get the hubbub. Popeye's Chicken Sandwiches are clearly superior.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, I'm surprised to see CFA decided to even open a franchise in Canada. I'd been hearing for a while now that their sandwiches were supposed to be good, and felt some regret at yet another American franchise I wouldn't get to try, then heard about their political leanings and was totally okay with the fact they weren't. Now they are, and it's like... "Well... even fast food is political now."

I guess it makes financial sense to open their first franchise in Toronto, but "culturally," it would have been a better move for them to open in Edmonton or Calgary. It'll be interesting to see whether more outlets open, or the Toronto one sinks them.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I eat there, I like their food, I think it is good for fast food. They get the food out quickly and the employees are always really happy and smiling in mine.

IMO I find boycotting companies to be kinda silly. There is going to someone in all places that have views you don't agree with, I am not going to stop eating and shopping in all stores.

I can't think of something easier to boycott than a fast food joint, but I guess that's too difficult for some folks.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
"I'm not here to support the policy of the owner."

I'm just here to give them my monetary support! Which they will then use to actively harm people through their "policy!" I know exactly how the world works!

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Politics aside, the idea of camping out for a fast food restaurant opening is bizarre.

It was equally bizarre here in Edmonton the other week when Jolibee opened.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
am i missing something? people yelling about Alberta voters when the protestors being discussed are in Toronto?

It's just gutter_trash, never wastes an opportunity to go after Alberta for not voting for his favorite party.

Imagine a giant Democrat homer attacking Kentucky for not voting blue and that's the American version of gutter.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same way about Chick Fil A defenders as they feel about the LGBT community. Namely, I don't give a fuck what happens to them at best.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't get the hubbub. Popeye's Chicken Sandwiches are clearly superior.

Thing is, you cant actually buy a chicken sandwich form Popeye's currently, and when they did have them they sold out at noon. One of the main reasons people like Chic-fil-a is because you can actually get your food in a timely manner, its hot, and the order is accurate. None of which applies to numerous other fast food places, including Popeye's.

I wish at some point Popeye's would become a reliable fast food chain.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't pay me to eat there. Hell I'd taste the bigotry, most likely.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, you cant actually buy a chicken sandwich form Popeye's currently, and when they did have them they sold out at noon. One of the main reasons people like Chic-fil-a is because you can actually get your food in a timely manner, its hot, and the order is accurate. None of which applies to numerous other fast food places, including Popeye's.

I wish at some point Popeye's would become a reliable fast food chain.

Popeyes has had a chicken sandwich in Canada for quite a while now, though I've heard the newly introduced US one is better than the one we've had for years.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
People camping out for 12Hrs for Chick-fil-A?!? I am embarrassed of my fellow Canadians. There's no shortage of Portuguese chicken places here in Montreal that would TKO a Chick-fil-A sandwich. Its not even close.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
My biggest takeaway from this article is that there are Make Canada Great Again hats? Is that really a thing people wear?

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They make a damn good chicken sandwich and you don't feel like you're going to get Hep A from eating there. No surprise it's really popular.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
My biggest takeaway from this article is that there are Make Canada Great Again hats? Is that really a thing people wear?

There aren't a lot of them, but yes. Sometimes red, sometimes a different colour in an attempt to...I have no idea, it's not distancing it from anything.

l0kE7qZ.jpg

I also - very rarely - see people with confederate bumper stickers or flags in their car window.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
How about protesting Andrew Scheer instead?

A Federal election is coming up next month and the real threat to equal rights is the Conservatives party

The Chicken sandwich isn't a threat to equal rights but the Conservative Party is Calrgarians still vote like sheep for them
Well excuse my community from protesting a company that is actively working against us. The nerves of my people.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of something easier to boycott than a fast food joint, but I guess that's too difficult for some folks.

Has nothing to do with it being "difficult", I just don't see the need to boycott a place that serves food. Also, I can't eat beef or have beef traces in any of my food, so I can't eat at a lot of fast food places. I can easily eat chicken.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has nothing to do with it being "difficult", I just don't see the need to boycott a place that serves food. Also, I can't eat beef or have beef traces in any of my food, so I can't eat at a lot of fast food places. I can easily eat chicken.

These weren't 'just' some homophobic views that they were spreading, you know. They were funding groups against gay marriage, vehemently spoke out against gay people in general, as well as contributing to funding that went to conversion camps for LGBT people, which has genuinely lead to a lot of incredibly traumatic situations and deaths. Like, there's a reason people are pissed at them and don't let this go. If you want to eat there then no one can stop you, but it's a bit lame to come in here and just go "Eh, everyone has views you don't agree with, don't boycott anything." in the face of bigotry.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
These weren't 'just' some homophobic views that they were spreading, you know. They were funding groups against gay marriage, vehemently spoke out against gay people in general, as well as contributing to funding that went to conversion camps for LGBT people, which has genuinely lead to a lot of incredibly traumatic situations and deaths. Like, there's a reason people are pissed at them and don't let this go. If you want to eat there then no one can stop you, but it's a bit lame to come in here and just go "Eh, everyone has views you don't agree with, don't boycott anything." in the face of bigotry.

This is why I have no faith in people any more. Something this easy and cut and dry is met with apathy towards others. This is something you have to go out of your way to support.

"But the chicken's good, though." Meh.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol at people policing this protest. Where's the image of the "gotcha" guy criticizing people for using smartphones?
How about protesting Andrew Scheer instead?

A Federal election is coming up next month and the real threat to equal rights is the Conservatives party

The Chicken sandwich isn't a threat to equal rights but the Conservative Party is Calrgarians still vote like sheep for them
Still not convinced this isn't some shitty gimmick account

Last edited: