• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/chik-fil-a-toronto-opening-1.5273381
A controversial U.S. fast-food chain has opened in downtown Toronto to a long line of customers, but also to a group of outraged protesters.

Chick-fil-A Inc., which is known for both its fried chicken sandwiches and its ownership's religious beliefs, started serving up chicken dishes Friday morning. It's the first franchised location in Canada, opening five years after a Chick-fil-A started up at the Calgary airport before recently closing.

When the Toronto restaurant opened at 10:30 a.m. ET, customers streamed in as protesters chanted "shame" outside the front doors.
"We won't allow hateful rhetoric to be here," said Justin Khan, who works at The 519, an LGBTQ community centre in an area of Toronto known as the gay village, just a few blocks from the restaurant.

"The fact that Chick-fil-A is opening on the streets of Toronto is something that is quite alarming."

Khan went on to accuse the corporation of promoting "hate and discrimination" against the LGBTQ community.
Another fan who camped overnight said customers should be able to enjoy the restaurant's food without endorsing the ownership's beliefs.

"I do not agree with their ideology and the policies of the owners, but I'm not here to support the policy of the owner. I'm here to have a meal that I really enjoy," Tony Onder told CBC News.

Others in line said they were eagerly anticipating the opening and were not aware of the company's controversial history.

"I'm not fully informed on all that's going on. All I know is I like fried chicken," said Bilal Dawson.
Bloor and Yonge is probably one of the most prime retail locations in the city, it also happens to be the gateway to Toronto's gay village. Make of that what you will.

And yes, there were certainly some people who knew exactly what Chic-fil-A's owners stand for:
_3_chick_fil_a.jpg

Last edited:

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I know that this isn't what I should be taking away from this but did someone seriously camp overnight for Chick-fil-A?

Bruh

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Chick Fil-A is finally in Canada? I gotta try out their chicken to see what the hype is about.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Another fan who camped overnight said customers should be able to enjoy the restaurant's food without endorsing the ownership's beliefs.

"I do not agree with their ideology and the policies of the owners, but I'm not here to support the policy of the owner. I'm here to have a meal that I really enjoy," Tony Onder told CBC News
You fucking camped for fast food

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's really just a huge dick move to open it in the village. They basically asked for this.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
You just know there is some guy who buys 15 sandwiches to make up for the fact they didn't eat there.

Good for the protesters making their views known. I can only hope they can get them to turn around from this. But this will only happen when their sales starts hurting.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always hear how get their chicken is, but there is no way I am going downtown for it.

Hopefully they bring a location to Mississauga.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the combination of Southern hospitality and Canadian apologies is going to overwhelming for customers

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
There was a Christian group protesing against Chick Fil A with somebody cosplaying Jesus leading them.

Fuck CFA.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it's the same as here in the US, CFA give 52 meal coupons to the first 100 people in line for a store; and it starts with camping out the day before at 6AM.

Not sure if they did it there though.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
How about protesting Andrew Scheer instead?

A Federal election is coming up next month and the real threat to equal rights is the Conservatives party

The Chicken sandwich isn't a threat to equal rights but the Conservative Party is Calrgarians still vote like sheep for them

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
You care enough to camp over night but not to do a basic google search smh

It's really just a huge dick move to open it in the village. They basically asked for this.

To be clear, it's not in the village. Bloor Yonge is the central hub of the city where the subway lines cross over and it's mostly high end shopping and a big library. The village is another subway stop away and a few blocks off. It's certainly in walking distance of bloor yonge but this place isn't in the village itself.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

An election is coming up and the real threat to equal rights is the Conservatives party

giphy.gif

Chick Fil A is a terrible company that actively works to ruin the lives of others, they should definitely be boycotted and protested against.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You care enough to camp over night but not to do a basic google search smh

To be clear, it's not in the village. Bloor Yonge is the central hub of the city where the subway lines cross over and it's mostly high end shopping and a big library. The village is another subway stop away and a few blocks off. It's certainly in walking distance of bloor yonge but this place isn't in the village itself.

It's essentially right across the street from the village.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

An election is coming up and the real threat to equal rights is the Conservatives party

How about liberals actually show support towards LGBTQ people, instead of telling us how to protest?

I can't believe it's 2019 and we have people lining up to express their loyalty to a fast food restaurant

People like chicken and hate the gays, it's a no brainer business plan.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Chick Fil-A is finally in Canada? I gotta try out their chicken to see what the hype is about.
You ever have a run of the mill fried chicken breast with some pickles on it?
I feel like the combination of Southern hospitality and Canadian apologies is going to overwhelming for customers
Will those cancel out kind of like double negatives?

"I'm sorry, that your welcome."

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Camping out for new restaurant openings is a thing in Toronto. Apparently the Jollibee lineups were nuts.
I can understand that, Jollibee is huge in the Phillipines and Toronto has big Filipino population. I can understand the curiosity there from non Filipinos too. But this is just another American fast food joint, with an extra side of homophobia.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
CFA is shit, drive 10 mins away and get better chicken at PG Clucks or anywhere else for that matter.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
People camp for the fast food from other countries all the time. Tokyo is the dumbest at that shit but everywhere does it.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You care enough to camp over night but not to do a basic google search.

Why would i, or anyone, do a google search before buying fast food? Its food, not something that you use.

I wasnt even sure what the issue was before coming into the thread. I dont attach the views of one asshat to the product they sell. Is this even a corporate owned store, or is this some franchisee that has to deal with this?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Why would i, or anyone, do a google search before buying fast food? Its food, not something that you use.

I wasnt even sure what the issue was before coming into the thread. I dont attach the views of one asshat to the product they sell. Is this even a corporate owned store, or is this some franchisee that has to deal with this?
The asshat uses money from what they sell to give to anti lgbt groups.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

I wasnt even sure what the issue was before coming into the thread, and i dont really care. I dont attach the views of one asshat to the product they sell. Is this even a corporate owned store, or is this some franchisee that has to deal with this?
Absolute trash source, but this is the only outlet that mentioned the background of the franchise owner.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-fathers-pride-outshines-chick-fil-a-protests

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Why would i, or anyone, do a google search before buying fast food? Its food, not something that you use

If you're just popping in to grab a burger, no, but before camping out overnight? I'd definitely do research about something I'm going to camp out for...and if I didn't do any research, why am I camping out in the first place? Unless they are just rubes that will camp out because they heard people were camping out for "new thing", which is possible.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're just popping in to grab a burger, no, but before camping out overnight? I'd definitely do research about something I'm going to camp out for...and if I didn't do any research, why am I camping out in the first place? Unless they are just rubes that will camp out because they heard people were camping out for "new thing", which is possible.
They are camping out for fast food, of course they are Rubes.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Camping out for new CFA location openings is common here in the US, it's not just a Toronto thing. I remember when the one opened across Monticello Ave from me in Norfolk, that parking lot was tent city for a few days. Was also impossible to get anywhere near for a week or two, until the sheen of the new restaurant wore off.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way CFA is going to stop it's momentum is if it starts serving bad food. Most people don't really care about the politics surrounding a chicken sandwich and capitalist apathy is at record highs

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to be fairly disconnected from the internet/news, to not know of Chick Fil A's issues.
People know, they just don't really care. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism and your money is going to be spent on unsavory things no matter where you shop. If you live in the U.S you support the killing of civilians in drone strikes by paying taxes

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way CFA is going to stop it's momentum is if it starts serving bad food. Most people don't really care about the politics surrounding a chicken sandwich and capitalist apathy is at record highs

The people that don't care enough to go somewhere else for fucking fast food chicken are not to be called allies. Last thread had people who love eating there but still want to be all about the gays with their political views.

Nope, fuck off with that.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the reason people camp out is free chick fil a for a year.