• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed this on Steam this afternoon but you can no longer purchase the game on Steam. Most likely this is due to either Games for Windows Live and/or expired music license. You can still get Episodes from Liberty City for now but I expect this game to be back at some point in the future.

EN8VolqVAAAmLoD

https://store.steampowered.com/app/12210/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV/

Last edited:

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't be GFWL, Rockstar gives no fuck and tells you to go to another site to make an account

It'll be back at some point

Edit: as far as I know it's the only GTA besides the first two that is NOT on the Rockstar Launcher

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam sell plenty of games that dont work so I dont thin its down to that. They have been perfectly fine selling it for YEARS as it was.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Realistically it's probably just due to song licenses but hopefully it comes back on sale without GFWL and, like, ported to GTAV engine.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Was literally thinking this morning about how Rockstar can really breathe a second wind into GTA IV with a Switch port.

I played through Episodes from Liberty City within this past year and it really was great, and I didn't remember GTA IV in such high regard. Playing through the episodes made me realize just how solid it actually was.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I hope they're pulling a Saints Row 2 and re-porting the gamd
lmao

They can't even be bothered to release a decent modern version of GTA3, Vice City or San Andreas. Their highest effort was hiring some terrible company to do a terrible broken port of San Andreas from the mobile version to PS3 / Xbox 360 in order to continue being able to sell the game after the music license issues (they couldn't sell the PS2 classics or the original Xbox digital version anymore). Rockstar is one of the worst companies in gaming regarding preservation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
FFS please give me a system I'm not allowed to mention port. I don't even want to play it on PC anymore.

Is there any reason why game companies can't develop contracts that allow them to keep music in a game forever?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Rockstar merely patch out songs but allow the purchase of their games anyway?

The pessimist in me makes me think they're going to migrate it to their own service...

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Removing GFWL is my assumption. They can just patch songs out/in like they did not too long ago.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The fact that they did this with no warning signals one of two things to me, either:

1. They're just moving it to the Rockstar launcher
or
2. They temporarily took it down to remove music they no longer have the license to use, but will bring it back

If so why is the better game San Andreas or V still on both stores

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I look forward to living to 150years old when all the Grand Theft Auto music licensing issues are resolved by all the music they used becoming public domain and can be patched back into the games, then reading the outrage where people complain these weren't the games they grew up on in the 2070s and this old ass cringe music is whey whack brehs.