This OT covers PS4, Xbox One, and PC versions of GTA Online.
Publisher: Rockstar Games
Release Date: PlayStation 4, Xbox One - 18 November 2014
Microsoft Windows - 14 April 2015
What is it?
Bundled with a purchase of GTA V, GTA Online is essentially the game map online for players and up to 29 of their friends (or enemies). To join in simply meet the XBL or PSN membership requirements (or play on PC for free) and create a custom character. Players will find missions, activities, mini games, and events that are similar to what is found in single player. GTA Online is radically different today than it was at launch. Previous gen console limitations split many activities into sub-maps or worlds where contact missions and/or heists took place. This required players to leave the main lobby or Free Mode hub, but has changed with the addition of current console gen specific businesses and events that are possible on the Free Mode map.
Rockstar has regularly provided free updates, or DLC. However taking part in or owning much of the recent content will require players to invest a significant amount of time or real world money. Rockstar’s decision to move newer businesses and events into public (and often hostile) Free Mode sessions can make saving up for those new toys even more difficult. Shark Cards are microtransactions that allow players to purchase in-game currency. They can help skip the grind, but the real world money to in-game currency ratio is not in the player’s favor.
This shouldn’t discourage new players from trying GTA Online, but understand that causing havoc with military grade hardware isn’t likely to happen on the first day; unless you partner up with rich players who will let you take the wheel/stick. Newcomers may want to approach the game by participating in earlier modes and missions. Contact missions and Heists take place in more controlled environments, and Free Mode can still be enjoyed in private sessions. Just know that newer content will require a significant buy-in.
Sounds expensive. What else is there to do?
This is still GTA. You can explore the map with friends stealing cars, pulling stunts, and running from the police. Players looking for a more structured experience can take part in a variety of adversary modes ranging from basic on-foot arena combat to vehicle based team objectives. There is a huge racing community and the return to pre-GTA IV vehicle handling has given us with one of the best arcade racing experiences of this console generation. Many players experience GTA Online solely through racing and adversary modes without setting foot in a Free Mode session. A built in content creator allows players to build competitive adversary maps and racing tracks to share with the community through the Rockstar Social Club.
The Rockstar Editor allows virtual directors and photographers to live out creative fantasies within the confines of GTA V’s map; though this isn’t restricted to GTA Online. Create a sitcom or recreate your favorite chase scenes. Photography that was previously limited to the in-game mobile phone Snapmatic can now be fully realized by using the editor to freeze recorded content and position the camera nearly anywhere. This content can also be shared through the Social Club.
Here is an example of what you can do with the Rockstar Editor:
Some players simply move online to overcome the limitations of single player and fill their garages and hangars with a fleet of customized vehicles not possible in the single player.
Photos by J_Valentine
• March 10th, 2015 - Heists Update - A long awaited update. Players take part in 5 multi-part heists that act as more complex versions of contact missions. Beginning a heist requires a lead player to own a high end property (containing a 10 car garage) and to pony up an investment fee. Completing setup missions and the heists will earn players money, and discounts on related special vehicles.
• September 15th, 2015 - Freemode Events Update - Added random competitive adversary-like events to Free Mode requiring 4 or more players to be present in a session.
• October 20th, 2015 - Lowriders - Benny's Original Motor Works is open for business. Players can visit the garage to modify and customize select vehicles. This update also introduced new Lamar contact missions that were lowriders themed. Additional customizable vehicles would be added in the March 15, 2016 Lowriders: Custom Classics update.
• December 15th, 2015 - Executives and Other Criminals - Players can register as a VIP or CEO and hire other players as bodyguards in Free Mode. VIPs and CEOs can begin jobs that are similar to contact missions, but in Free Mode sessions. New high-end properties such as stilt house and yachts were made available for purchase.
• June 7, 2016 - Further Adventures in Finance and Felony - This laid the groundwork for future updates and expanded on the Executives and Other Criminals content. CEOs can purchase offices and warehouses. Product can be sourced to stock warehouses over time and then sold for a profit. This also marks a turning point for GTA Online requiring players to be in public Free Mode sessions to access new content that will earn in-game currency.
• October 4th, 2016 - Bikers - Clubhouses can be purchased to start a biker gang. New businesses can be purchased by clubhouse owners (MC presidents). These businesses are similar to CEO crate warehouses. Sourced supplies yields product over time that is sold for a profit. MC presidents can also initiate Free Mode missions (similar to VIP work from the Executives and Other Criminals update) from the clubhouse property.
• December 13th, 2016 - Import/Export - How about a little GTA in your GTA? Expands further on the CEO content from Further Adventures in Finance and Felony, and Executives and Other Criminals. CEOs can add vehicle warehouses to their growing list of properties; allowing the organization to steal and sell cars. An underground garage in the vehicle warehouse provides storage for a new line of special vehicles that are discounted after completing corresponding missions. Executive garages can be added to CEO offices to store more personal vehicles.
• March 14th, 2017 - Cunning Stunts - Surprise! GTA Online is now one of the best arcade racers of the generation. This stunt themed update overhauls the in-game content creator. Players can use new track pieces and assets to create stunt tracks, and in some cases entire tracts of land.
• June 13th, 2017 - Gunrunning - Another business, this time in the form of an underground bunker. Up until now supplies that was bought or stolen for other businesses was used solely for the purpose of earning money. This update introduced a research system for random unlocks in the form of weapon and vehicle upgrades. Supplies can be designated as material to sell or it can be used to research the aforementioned unlocks. Powerful new weaponized vehicles can be purchased and modified in a Mobile Operations Center (MOC). As in the Import/Export update special missions can be completed for discounted special vehicle prices.
• August 29, 2017 - Smuggler's Run - CEOs and MC presidents can purchase hangers at LSIA or Fort Zancudo. Fort Zancudo hangars come with low level clearance allowing those players to enter the base without gaining a wanted level. Hangars operate as previous businesses and can also act as a garage to store and modify aircraft. Players source and sell a variety of cargo and complete more special missions to unlock discounts for the newly released arial vehicles.
Official GTA Online site
Rockstar Social Club - Social media for Rockstar games. Sign up and join a crew. Browse content such as Snapmatic photos from other users.
GTA V and GTA Online updates and notifications knowledge base
Server Status Page
GTA Content Update Links
Heists || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52402/gta-online-heists-now-available
Ill-Gotten Gains Pt. 1 || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ne-ill-gotten-gains-update-part-one-is-coming
Ill-Gotten Gains Pt. 2 || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...l-gotten-gains-update-part-2-is-now-available
Lowriders || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52518/gta-online-lowriders-now-available
Executives & Other Criminals || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-executives-and-other-criminals-now-available
Further Adventures in Finance & Felony || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-further-adventures-in-finance-and-felony-now
Cunning Stunts || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52640/gta-online-cunning-stunts-now-available
Ill-Gotten Gains Update Pt. 1 || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ll-gotten-gains-update-part-one-now-available
Bikers || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52670/gta-online-bikers-now-available
Import/Export || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60071/GTA-Online-Import-Export-Now-Available
Special Vehicle Races || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...hicle-Circuit-Now-Available-New-Progen-GP1-an
Tiny Racers || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60188/GTA-Online-Tiny-Racers-Out-Now
Gunrunning || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60226/GTA-Online-Gunrunning-Now-Available
Smuggler's Run || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60260/GTA-Online-Smuggler-s-Run-Now-Available
Transform Races || http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60288/GTA-Online-Transform-Races-Now-Available-to-Play
OT concept and title by Jason Frost
OT information and composition by ExitPlanetDust
Join the crew and message Exit or me to approve on SocialClub: