• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is also the most financially successful media title of all time.

Since it's launch in 2013, "GTA V" has sold 90 million units, putting its total haul for publisher Take-Two Interactive Inc. TTWO, -4.06% in the neighborhood of $6 billion—far above the success of blockbuster movies like "Star Wars" or "Gone With The Wind," which both collected more than $3 billion, adjusted for inflation. Even taking into account DVD and streaming sales would not put the biggest movie blockbusters in GTA V's neighborhood, said Cowen analyst Doug Creutz, estimating those sales might add up to $1 billion to the films' totals.
MW-GG926_gta_5__20180406123302_NS.jpg

more at the link:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...ade-more-money-than-any-movie-ever-2018-04-06

Please disregard the platform breakdown as the source is VGZ and not accurate at all. But the picture is just one big and not separate.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Stories like these are making it harder and harder to imagine that GTA VI will even remotely feature a single player offline story.

I'm not whining, btw. I'm 100% aware that the gaming industry does not have to cater to what I like just because it's something that "makes so much sense". It's just an aspect that I'm personally gonna miss.

Enjoy Vice City Online, everyone! I hope it's great.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Nirolak said in the Etcera version of this thread, the platform split is not accurate because it's sourced from VGChartz. Because I'll be honest the PS3 being 32% seems nuts to me.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Un. Real. That's utterly amazing, good job Rockstar.

I've never played V but man, if this isn't enticing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's only taking into account sales... when you add microtransactions from online... yeesh.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
surprised.gif

I really hope they don't start changing direction too much. I know it's not really the same thing, but I can't help but think about Valve's success with Steam and GAAS leading to immense dropoff in actual game output.

Basically, I hope that some of this profitability goes into making even better games. And porting Max Payne 3 some time, yeah?

Oct 29, 2017
Played it on PS3 but haven't double-dipped yet. Should probably get the next-gen version at some point.

Insane money though. Well deserved.

OP
OP

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Nirolak said in the Etcera version of this thread, the platform split is not accurate because it's sourced from VGChartz. Because I'll be honest the PS3 being 32% seems nuts to me.
There is a topic for this already?
I didn't search in off topic :D

Higher than most mobile f2p games?
Than most for sure.
Than all is a good question, tho.
The only game higher i could think of is LoL

I don't know if any mobile game already grossed $6bn.
But mobile games spend a shit ton of money on advertising, while GTAV did only during launch.

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
Those PC numbers are laughably low.

On Steam alone they've sold 10 million copies, which is 11%. Add in the Rockstar Social and physical numbers and it's probably more like 15%

Also the closest competitor thing is bad too. Minecraft has sold more copies (144m, but at a lower price) and there are other games/series like Mario and Pokemon that would be closer than CoD.

And VGChartz? Hmmm...

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, why are they listing CoD as "closest competitor". Mario Kart trounces CoD in sales.

CoD comes out every year, Mario Kart does not.

Eight releases, nine if you count Deluxe, since the first game released in 1992 in Japan.

Since 2003, there has been a Call of Duty every year with the exception of 2004. So in terms of sales, I believe CoD probably dwarfs Mario Kart overall.

There is a topic for this already?
I didn't search in off topic :D

Maybe I'm missing something and I thought there was one in off topic and there isn't :).

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Deserved though. One of, if not the, highest quality games ever!

Can't wait to see Red Dead Redemption 2 performs.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope that they make a stellar GTAVI out of this. They can sink so much into the budget given how much GTAV has made.

It also angers me a little bit that they can't throw the single player crowd a stand alone expansion for like $50 million when they have made $6 billion. I get it, I do. I just wish they would throw us a bone :lol

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PC numbers are completely wrong.

#fakenews

Probably made way more than than 6 billion too.

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing is MMOs and F2P games probably dwarf this.

Those yearly charts always show LoL, Crossfire and WoW making $1-2 billion, and they've been around for almost a decade or more in some cases.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I hope next GTA Online is actually good.

Current one has the foundations but is ultimately terrible. Imagine how good it could be.

I imagine they will take their time in releasing the next GTA though... No reason to bring it out yet.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I wonder if this includes income from GTA Online. It's not clear that it does and if it does not then that chart is even more crazy.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA V was really enjoyable for me. Played through the story twice (360, 1st person X1) and put some time into Online.

Online is a lot of fun except for the terrible menu systems and designs. Utterly terrible trying to get a mission or heist going.

Deleted member 5015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, it's 2018 and people still talk about gta5. Guess gta5 really is the Skyrim of videogames.

Joking aside. Well deserved. Congratulations rockstar. I hope they don't take this success a a new standard in the gta series because I guess this would result in a very safe play for future series entries. That would hurt the franchise in the long run.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm.

World of Warcraft doesn't get mentioned?

I would think it was wildly more profitable than the other games used for comparison.

OP
OP

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I take it this doesn't count subscription products, as World of Warcraft would surely be above that?
Probably not.
But MMORPGs have also huge expenses.
They're not nearly as profitable as todays F2P MTX games.

As i said i think LoL could easily be ahead. But then there are no numbers for that game...

The total revenue for Activision / Blizzard was always just around $4bn a year since merger.
WoW was estimated to be above $10bn in 2012 in total gross revenue.

Last edited:

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Loads of false information in there "GTA went multi platform first with GTA IV"..., Michael is not the sole protagonist in the game and sourcing VGZ is a crime in itself.

Oh and comparing GTA V to CoD which is being meant to be a yearly released game series is pretty nonsensical.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only GTA game I bought and could not finish. Yet I totally understand why everyone else enjoys it.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Finally finished it after all these years. The world is impressively detailed and the mission variety is pretty varied but the story/characters/written dialogue is just embarrassing trash. Just people yelling fuck you at each other over and over and over. Its a shame you cant do anything really in the game without being assaulted nonstop by it. I really hope red dead 2 doesnt drop to this games level.