• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
ttwo-marketing-spend.jpg

Each year, Take-Two files a 10-K with numerous financial details, including its plans for marketing spend for each year for the next five years. In its previous 10-K, Take-Two notified investors of a spike in marketing costs for fiscal 2023. But that spending has now shifted to fiscal 2024. This movement in spending likely reflects developer Rockstar Games' current plans for the release of Grand Theft Auto VI.

"We are not sure how much we should be reading into this shift, but we would note that this disclosure accurately predicted the launch of Red Dead Redemption 2 prior to that game's announcement," Cohen wrote in a note to investors. "[Take-Two management] has spoken very confidently about the pipeline over the next five years and existing live services execution has been excellent. However, the timing of the next Grand Theft Auto remains top-of-mind for investors, particularly with the stock near all-time-highs."

First, since Grand Theft Auto VI isn't ready for current-gen, Rockstar will want to wait until the next-gen consoles are more well established. The studio doesn't want to leave money on the table by selling to 25 million people on next-gen in 2022 when it could reach a bigger customer base a year later as folks buy more consoles.

Rockstar is also in no rush to replace Grand Theft Auto V. The game continues to sell month-after-month, and GTA Online brings in a ton of revenue. A GTA VI needs to seamlessly pick up that momentum. So it's important that Rockstar gets the game right. Even more crucial is figuring out how to transition the GTA Online audience to any potential followup in GTA VI.

Coming up with that plan and executing on it will take time. And a 2023 release provides plenty of runway to figure it out.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So add a year or two to this and we get the real date
Rockstar always delays lol

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Potentially (over) 10 years for a GTA release. Never thought we'd be able to say that.

That said, bring it on. I wanna see Vice City again.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good to me. At least this time the game will take full advantage of the current-gen consoles.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Fair enough Rockstar, fair enough.

After Red Dead 2, they can take all the time they want.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine how disappointed people are going to be when it's set in Liberty City and they realize it's at least 10 years before we see Vice City again.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Look on the bright side. It will be truly next gen. It won't be held back trying to facilitate ps4/xb1.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
I was 19 when GTA V came out. I'm going to be in my 30s by the time GTA VI is out. Idk why that fills me with a sense of dread. GTA V still feels like a new game to me.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who were the wannabe insiders pretending it was over halfway done last time Jason Schreier reported on it?

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they have been saving that GTA V super 4k edition for these consoles, 4k 60fps is easily doable on them, more money while the wait for 6 continues.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
venturebeat.com

Grand Theft Auto VI in 2023? Take-Two SEC filing hints at release date (correction)

Grand Theft Auto VI may debut between April 2023 and March 2024, according to a Take-Two SEC filing's note on marketing spending.

"Take Two expects to spend $89 million on marketing during the 12-month period ending March 31, 2024. That is more than twice the marketing budget for any other fiscal year over the next half-decade, according to the company's recent 10-K SEC filing. Why is Take-Two planning to spend that much more on marketing in fiscal 2024? One of the most likely explanations is that is when the publisher expects to release Grand Theft Auto VI, according to analyst Jeff Cohen of investment firm Stephens.

Each year, Take-Two files a 10-K with numerous financial details, including its plans for marketing spend for each year for the next five years. In its previous 10-K, Take-Two notified investors of a spike in marketing costs for fiscal 2023. But that spending has now shifted to fiscal 2024. This movement in spending likely reflects developer Rockstar Games' current plans for the release of Grand Theft Auto VI."

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a long time until VI is revealed - hopefully some VR and on new consoles a couple years in. In the meantime, take all those mobile ports and put them on Switch already!

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Ten effin' years. There will nearly be as long a gap between V and VI as there was between V and Vice City.