Grandia HD Collection coming soon UPDATE: RPGSite Hands on impressions and interview with GungHo

Rotobit

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, isn't Saturn emulation super tricky since it uses tris instead of polygons? IIRC that's the reason we barely see any ports from that generation, outside of ground-up remakes like Panzer Dragoon gets

I imagine technology has come a long way since I last looked up Saturn emulation but I can't really say I'm surprised they went for the easier option if the alternative would take a lot more man hours and be harder to tack extra features onto, let alone inject the English localization.

If that is the case though, they should really say as much to clear up any misunderstandings.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that this won't be a M2 level port, but eh, just seeing that Grandia title screen was enough for me to give this a look.

At the right price, I will buy day 1.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I can play this via my BC PS3 with my PSX Grandia 1. Same with my Grandia II. But at the very least, several of the assets will be cleaned up (compared if I played my PSX copy). It may not look like the Saturn version, but I am certain it will look better than my PSX copy.

But that Grandia II is the Anniversary edition is another big bonus for me to buy the collection. Because as I mentioned, I haven’t played this version. And it was something that I had wanted to play when it was released for the PC, but wanted to play it on my big screen TV. And now I can do so.

Ardiloso

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
For what it's worth, isn't Saturn emulation super tricky since it uses tris instead of polygons? IIRC that's the reason we barely see any ports from that generation, outside of ground-up remakes like Panzer Dragoon gets

I imagine technology has come a long way since I last looked up Saturn emulation but I can't really say I'm surprised they went for the easier option if the alternative would take a lot more man hours and be harder to tack extra features onto, let alone inject the English localization.

If that is the case though, they should really say as much to clear up any misunderstandings.
The saturn renders quads, everything else else renders tris.
Actually, Saturn emulation is pretty straight forward and easy. The tricky fame is a heritage from the earlier days and people doesn't let it go without even trying. You can emulate it in pretty much anything but a raspberry pi.
The Switch is emulating the Saturn at full speed.

Rotobit

Oct 27, 2017
The saturn renders quads, everything else else renders tris.
Actually, Saturn emulation is pretty straight forward and easy. The tricky fame is a heritage from the earlier days and people doesn't let it go without even trying. You can emulate it in pretty much anything but a raspberry pi.
The Switch is emulating the Saturn at full speed.
Ah ok, thanks for the tri clarification.

Then yeah that makes the decision a bit baffling.

although now I'm even more inclined to get that Panzer Dragoon remake in the hopes Sega just ports Panzer Dragoon Saga somewhere finally