• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Press Release

GRANDIA® II Anniversary Edition on Steam to be Renamed GRANDIA II HD Remaster

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. – June 5, 2019 –
GungHo Online Entertainment America (GOEA) today announced that critically-acclaimed RPGs GRANDIA HD Collection for the Nintendo SwitchTM will be coming soon. GRANDIA HD Remaster for PC on Steam will also be released day-and-date with the Switch collection. Additionally, GRANDIA® II Anniversary Edition will be renamed to GRANDIA II HD Remaster, which will be sold separately from GRANDIA HD Remaster on PC.

More information on the GRANDIA HD Collection for Nintendo SwitchTM, as well as the GRANDIA HD Remasterand GRANDIA II HD Remaster for PC will be revealed at E3.

Famous for its great characters, mature storytelling, memorable music, and fantastic battle system, these classic JRPGs are renowned for being ahead of their time. GRANDIA HD Collection brings GRANDIA and GRANDIA II together with enhanced visuals, handheld support for the Nintendo SwitchTM, while GRANDIA HD Remaster and GRANDIA II HD Remaster features those same enhance visuals, as well as keyboard/gamepad support for Steam.

Key Features:

• Real-time, turn-based action - Experience and employ a unique action bar system for real-time fighting with distinct characters
  • Magic-based combat - Gather Mana Eggs to learn and use magic-based skills, ranging from elemental attacks to character-enhancing magic for defense and offense statistical boosts
  • Illustrious worlds to explore - The vibrant worlds in GRANDIA HD Collection include nostalgic starter cities such as Parm (GRANDIA) and Carbo Village (GRANDIA II) to iconic fields and areas such as The End of the World (GRANDIA) and Valmar's Moon (GRANDIA II)
  • Gather Skill Points and ATTACK! - Skill Points or Skill Coins can be used to earn incredibly intense moves that make for an extraordinary fighting experience
  • Eclectic Enemy Encounters - The worlds of GRANDIA and GRANDIA II bring forth a plethora of challenging and epic enemies in the wild, as well as main storyline bosses
  • Ear-Indulging, Melodious Compositions - Experience world exploration, momentous battles, and legendary in-game experiences in beautiful harmony with musical compositions from acclaimed Japanese composer Noriyuki Iwadare
GRANDIA HD Collection, GRANDIA HD Remaster (PC), and GRANDIA II HD Remaster (PC) will feature a variety of new and improved features such as:

GRANDIA features

• Enhanced details to UI, sprites, and texture art
  • Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
  • Widescreen support and customizable resolutions (only for PC)
  • Steam cards and Achievements (only for PC)
  • Audio: Japanese and English
  • Language Support: Original English and Japanese plus French and German translation
  • Gamepad and keyboard support with remappable controls (only for PC)
GRANDIA II features

• Enhanced details to UI, sprites, and texture art
  • Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
  • Widescreen support and customizable resolutions (only for PC)
  • Audio: Japanese and English
  • Language Support: Original English and Japanese plus New French and German translation
The GRANDIA HD Collection will be shown to select press at E3 2019, giving the world the latest look at the highly-anticipated remaster of the pair of RPG classics

UPDATE:

• Grandia HD Collection will be available "very soon," but Minagawa would not provide a release date or more specific window.
  • When asked if there are plans for a physical release, Minagawa said, "Not at all." It will be a digital-only release.
  • When asked if GungHo Online Entertainment would consider releasing a PlayStation 4 version, Minagawa said, "We'll think about it, but we felt the Switch was the console platform best suited for JRPGs, and we are first focused on release for Nintendo Switch and PC."
  • The code for Grandia is based on the original PlayStation version.
  • The ports are being handled by Sickhead Games.
  • GungHo Online Entertainment touched up as many art assets as possible. Most of the user interface received a complete overhaul, aside from a few menu digits that could not be replaced. There is no option to use the original sprites.
  • In the E3 2019 show floor demo of Grandia HD Collection, the battle ability voices were in English despite selecting Japanese voice-overs.
  • The audio quality will remain the same as the original PlayStation version, and no additional elements are being added to Grandia.
  • Asked about a potential Grandia III remaster, Minagawa said, "I cannot say. The history with Grandia III is so complicated—who distributed it, who published it, who actually has the rights. If you really want to ask that question, you'd have to go ask [original developer] Game Arts first."

Thanks to Gematsu for the summary

Grandia-II-Switch_20190611_07.jpg

Last edited:

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
It's been 84 years.gif etc... Honestly, if it had skipped E3 2019, I would have considered it dead.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Nice, was wondering where the news went on this. Pretty excited about it but I will probably give it a few months to see if it sneaks on some other platforms before buying the Switch version if it doesn't.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So I have this right:

1) Just Grandia 1 and 2, no 3 - correct?
2) Only Switch and PC - no PS4 or XB1 - correct?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully Grandia 1's gorgeous textures don't get smoothed out. Nice to get the free upgrade on Steam!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I think we already knew it was releasing on Switch as a dual game pack and on PC as single releases, right?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to see what they have done with the first Grandia.

Still the all-time greatest RPG theme ever.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
I am really curious how they'll make these games "HD" I gotta say, the sprite work was so low-res and blocky and all the polygonal towns were all texture-mapped with sprites... I hope the "enhanced" doesn't mean they're just runnin' em through some kinda fudge-filter ala the Final Fantasy mobile games.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Awesome, Grandia 2 is one of my favorites. I do wish they had 3 in here as well. It's not the best, but still was a decent entry.

Grandia Xtreme though...I am fine with never seeing that again.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
How ill the new Grandia 2 PC version be different from the Anniversary version?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Grandia 2 is one of my most beautiful dreamcast and childhood memories. I also wanna finish grandia 1 for a change. Last time I quit on a ship. Don't remember how far that was

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Eager to see if they can keep the beautiful aesthetic of the Saturn version.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really tell if Grandia II PC is a free upgrade or not for people who've already bought it?

Either way I played through it not too long ago for the first time and enjoyed it. I've already played the first game before but I'm looking forward to getting it on PC.