• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I too was kinda shocked that my games were deleted as well, and I can't access them without the client, I guess?
Ah, you mean the games were not accessible after you uninstalled the client, not that you lost access to them in your account.
Normal Steam uninstall also uninstalls all your installed games in the client (as it happens in all clients). You can keep installed games by just moving the game folders to another not default directory.

However, a ton of games in Steam are not DRM free and use Steam DRM (which is laughable as DRM and easily crackable), but that avoids running the game without Steam. Grandia 2 Anniversary is available in GOG so they might not have Steam DRM (unsure about that).

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait to play both of these on my PC.

It was the same situation with both games where I borrowed a copy Grandia 1 and Grandia 2 from friends for PS1 and Dreamcast respectively but never got to finish either.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Would you recommend these games to someone who never been big into JRPGs?

Depends on what you don't like about JRPGS.

If it's the battle system, then possibly. Grandia has one of the more dynamic turn based battle systems. It's ATB like most Final Fantasy games, here all party members and enemies move along a bar that fills up over time, and when you reach the end of the bar you can attack. The gimmick here which makes the series so fun to play is that if you attack an enemy, the enemy's progress along the bar stalls temporarily. If you "critical" an enemy, which is another attack option which is weaker then the standard attack, the enemy actually falls back in the time bar. If you time a critical well (very close to when they are almost allowed to attack), they don't just get pushed back a bit in the time bar, they have to start all over again.
Magic attacks are often area based, so where enemies are in the battlefield determines how many will get caught in an AOE attack.

it's very fun, the only JRPG battle system I like more is Panzer Dragoon Saga's.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grandia 2 is pretty shit. You guys are in for a disappointment honestly. I'll definitely give the 1st game another try though, as I never finished that one and I think it might have aged better.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Please gimme:

Use the Saturn version for grandia 1 for the base
JP VA
Finish the ending for grandia 1
Re translate the game. Don't remember much about when I played it, but read after that the translation wasn't good.

Do this and day 0 for me.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Ah, you mean the games were not accessible after you uninstalled the client, not that you lost access to them in your account.
Normal Steam uninstall also uninstalls all your installed games in the client (as it happens in all clients). You can keep installed games by just moving the game folders to another not default directory.

However, a ton of games in Steam are not DRM free and use Steam DRM (which is laughable as DRM and easily crackable), but that avoids running the game without Steam. Grandia 2 Anniversary is available in GOG so they might not have Steam DRM (unsure about that).
When you say G2A is available in GOG, you mean I'd have to re-purchase the game to get the non-drm version, or that it's available for free since I already purchased the Steam version?

Sorry for the questions as I'm not fluent in pc gaming, and only started buying them on Steam a few years ago, but I rarely play them. Wish I'd known from the start that these games required Steam client to play.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to the PC releases, but kinda disappointed the third one isn't here.

I've only played it maybe once yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago and completely forgotten about it now.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
When you say G2A is available in GOG, you mean I'd have to re-purchase the game to get the non-drm version, or that it's available for free since I already purchased the Steam version?

Sorry for the questions as I'm not fluent in pc gaming, and only started buying them on Steam a few years ago, but I rarely play them. Wish I'd known from the start that these games required Steam client to play.

Sadly, most purchases are tied to the Launcher platform as the publishers tend to prevent the possibility of crossbuy. GOG itself has an initiative called GOG Connect were they are able to allow you to get GOG copies of your Steam games, but it is really dependant on publisher wishes (Stellaris was up for barely half a day on the service this week, probably due to GOG-side issues).

GOG as a platform only sells DRM free copies of games, but due to that, tends to get higher profile games at a later date (if ever) as publishers do not like that.

It is no problem to answer these questions, they are normal doubts for anyone new to PC. I was just surprised with your first statement. As a general rule, it is normally not necessary to uninstall launchers (GOG Galaxy, Steam, uPlay, EGS, or Origin) as their raw size is very small, with most of the size you see caused by installed games. I would recommend to make it so that they do not launch at start-up (available in the settings of all of them I believe), as they can hog RAM (not really that much tbh).

If you have any doubts about anything PC related, you can always come to the community topic :)

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I hope "only on PC" is only referring to the customizable resolutions and not widescreen support. It would be a huge bummer if Switch doesn't support that.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Grandia 2 is one of my fav rpgs of all time, and I've always wanted to give the first a spin. Hope these make for quality remasters.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Sadly, most purchases are tied to the Launcher platform as the publishers tend to prevent the possibility of crossbuy. GOG itself has an initiative called GOG Connect were they are able to allow you to get GOG copies of your Steam games, but it is really dependant on publisher wishes (Stellaris was up for barely half a day on the service this week, probably due to GOG-side issues).

GOG as a platform only sells DRM free copies of games, but due to that, tends to get higher profile games at a later date (if ever) as publishers do not like that.

It is no problem to answer these questions, they are normal doubts for anyone new to PC. I was just surprised with your first statement. As a general rule, it is normally not necessary to uninstall launchers (GOG Galaxy, Steam, uPlay, EGS, or Origin) as their raw size is very small, with most of the size you see caused by installed games. I would recommend to make it so that they do not launch at start-up (available in the settings of all of them I believe), as they can hog RAM (not really that much tbh).

If you have any doubts about anything PC related, you can always come to the community topic :)
Thanks. I'm just gonna get the Switch version and be done with it. For years PC players kept buggin' me to play on pc, but I'm just a console and handheld kinda guy. ;)

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Please gimme:

Use the Saturn version for grandia 1 for the base
JP VA
Finish the ending for grandia 1
Re translate the game. Don't remember much about when I played it, but read after that the translation wasn't good.

Do this and day 0 for me.

JP VA is confirmed to be in and what do you mean by finish the ending for Grandia 1?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Please don't look ugly. Please don't look ugly. Please don't look ugly. Grandia is one of my childhood classics. Please don't fuck it up!

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Two of the best JRPG characters in the first game:

latest
Sue.gif

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Grandia 2 is pretty shit. You guys are in for a disappointment honestly. I'll definitely give the 1st game another try though, as I never finished that one and I think it might have aged better.

I remember a lot of people saying Grandia 2 felt like Working Designs tried to forego their usual formulas and be more like the recent Final Fantasys i.e. VII and VIII. I don't remember agreeing with them necessarily, though...

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You are not missing that much. It is very inferior to 2. The characters and plot are very forgettable. I basically completed it to swallow my pride cause I paid full price for it back then.

Grandia 3 was a 5 in an era chock full of 8s and 9s. Utterly forgettable from the get go until credits rolled.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Grandia 2 is excellent and well worth playing, it's just not as good as the first. It feels like they really announced this collection too early though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest drawbacks the first game suffers from are

1) Large combat zones filled with simple fodder battles. No random encounters, but without a speed mod, spells and skill abilities can often last longer than it takes to kill off the enemies. Because it has a skill system where everything improves with use(ala Skyrim), expect to see the same animations play over and over. Get your podcasts ready!! Loading annoyances too, but that may change in this release.

2) Similar to games like DQ7, the plot takes loooooonnnnng detours. Expect these kids to help every village chief as they journey for often hours on end. Some will be fine with this, but I anticipate many newcomers getting real sick of this.

Otherwise it's a charming game, an impressive technical feat in its day, and a solid anime-esque quest. The bloat will likely turn off some.

Grandma 2 trims out a lot of the fat, has a far less endearing cast and a predictable plot, but is still a perfectly fine adventure on its own.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
anyone know why this is not on PS4 too?

It's weird because I don't think 2 or Xtreme ever made it to PSN, even though 1 and eventually 3 did. I never understood why 2 never showed up, Xtreme I could see why they would skip that but 2 is loved by many.

Glad they are at least acknowledging the IP nowadays though

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You are not missing that much. It is very inferior to 2. The characters and plot are very forgettable. I basically completed it to swallow my pride cause I paid full price for it back then.

I've noticed it seems a lot of people don't really care for Grandia 3 but I remember liking it quite a bit, though it's been a long time. It was my first in the series and the only one I actually finished. I tried to go back and play the first two but they felt so old and clunky in comparison that I couldn't really get into them. I might get this and try again though.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I liked Grandia 2 just fine, tho a lot of people were tired of Ryudo being an angsty edgelord. Also, don't judge Grandia 2 by the PS2 version. I don't know what Ubisoft did there but its a really really bad port.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they do justice to Grandia 1. They've been working on it for quite some time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird because I don't think 2 or Xtreme ever made it to PSN, even though 1 and eventually 3 did. I never understood why 2 never showed up, Xtreme I could see why they would skip that but 2 is loved by many.

Glad they are at least acknowledging the IP nowadays though
PS2 port was pretty crap, that's probably why.