• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Grandia is amazing. Grandia 2 is great.

Grandia 3 isn't very good!
Once Mom leaves the group, the game falls off a cliff.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
User warned: console warring
About time! My switch has been collecting dust since last July.

How dare you sir.

Haven't you been preached the good word of all the amazing ports and indies out selling and out performing their inferior console competiters?

Get with the program bruh; it's Nintendomination out there with plenty to play, so don't be do negative. Leave those comments for the dead and buried Vita.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
s-l640.jpg

Welcome back to my life

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
How dare you sir.

Haven't you been preached the good word of all the amazing ports and indies out selling and out performing their inferior console competiters?

Get with the program bruh; it's Nintendomination out there with plenty to play, so don't be do negative. Leave those comments for the dead and buried Vita.

am i supposed to feel bad for the vita

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
How dare you sir.

I think I'ma go play some Grandia on my Vita right now!

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'll buy w/e collectors edition they got for this. Love this series and willing to break my digital streak to buy overly expensive junk in this franchise lol.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How dare you sir.

Did I get transported back to GameFAQs?

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, for those who have not played it at conventions and expos, we still don't know what 1 HD looks like. So strange.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So, for those who have not played it at conventions and expos, we still don't know what 1 HD looks like. So strange.

It's not that strange. Although I hope they've fixed the remaining bugs, Grandia 2 was pretty much "done" before they announced it, all that's left is porting it to switch (which itself hadn't been done well as of PAX).
Grandia 1 will be a lot more work given they're enhancing the sprites. I assume it's using that AI learning stuff to upres them - hopefully with final touches from a pixel artist. There's also work to support the widescreen mode - this is already available on saturn via cheat code:
But as you can see, pixel ui look off from the stretching, and the 3D compass doesn't move to the edge, so for a proper widescreen mode these elements would have to be reworked.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Grandia is amazing. Grandia 2 is great.

Grandia 3 isn't very good!
Once Mom leaves the group, the game falls off a cliff.
Pretty much my view on Grandia 3 especially after that early-game spoiler (played a bit of Xtreme, never got far but I wasn't into dungeon crawlers at the time, which that game was supposed to be).

However, I still maintain Grandia 3 has the best version of the IP Gauge battle system. The addition of Aerial combos meant a lot more teamwork interactions, though the way you unlocked skills seemingly randomly (I never figured out if there was a way to do it properly?) was very obtuse.

But yeah, the story in 3 was very derivative in a time where other RPGs were going in different directions. And I definitely agree with your assessments of 1 and 2.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, was wondering where the news went on this. Pretty excited about it but I will probably give it a few months to see if it sneaks on some other platforms before buying the Switch version if it doesn't.
Why wait months when you could buy it when it already comes out, its a remaster of ps1 games so its not like it's going to have major differences and you wouldn't even have the excuse of waiting for a portable version or anything

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Why wait months when you could buy it when it already comes out, its a remaster of ps1 games so its not like it's going to have major differences and you wouldn't even have the excuse of waiting for a portable version or anything

Well you're right, and my answer to this is going to sound dumb to some but it's whatever. Some people like you mentioned will wait for a game for forever to see if a portable version comes out, well portability is 0% important to me as I am pretty sure my Switch has never left its dock since the day it came out, trophies however are of great importance to me, so with my backlog being what it is, I am going to wait a few months and see if anything is announced if not, no biggie I will get the Switch version then. I just don't want it to be Hollow Knight all over again, buy it day 1 and then wait a few months to play it and bam a version is announced for my platform of choice.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well you're right, and my answer to this is going to sound dumb to some but it's whatever. Some people like you mentioned will wait for a game for forever to see if a portable version comes out, well portability is 0% important to me as I am pretty sure my Switch has never left its dock since the day it came out, trophies however are of great importance to me, so with my backlog being what it is, I am going to wait a few months and see if anything is announced if not, no biggie I will get the Switch version then. I just don't want it to be Hollow Knight all over again, buy it day 1 and then wait a few months to play it and bam a version is announced for my platform of choice.
That is perfectly fair

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much my view on Grandia 3 especially after that early-game spoiler (played a bit of Xtreme, never got far but I wasn't into dungeon crawlers at the time, which that game was supposed to be).

However, I still maintain Grandia 3 has the best version of the IP Gauge battle system. The addition of Aerial combos meant a lot more teamwork interactions, though the way you unlocked skills seemingly randomly (I never figured out if there was a way to do it properly?) was very obtuse.

But yeah, the story in 3 was very derivative in a time where other RPGs were going in different directions. And I definitely agree with your assessments of 1 and 2.
You have to have your Special Level at the prerequisite and then you'll learn it randomly when you do a Combo. You get the most Magic/Skill/Special points from winning a battle but you also get them from doing specific actions (in differing amounts by character). You get special points by doing Critical attacks and special moves.

Also it was good about varying up the enemy formations more and making them faster and more aggressive with special moves and magic. Characters didn't change their facing once their animations started so you had to be more careful in making sure your attacks didn't whiff. (I haven't played Xtreme so I don't know if that one made any of these changes already.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As much i like Grandia Series.... this is a total lie.... DId they release balance patch or something ?

The PC version of Grandia 2 that they released a couple years ago added a hard mode. Hopefully they do something similar for Grandia 1 since the series has a great battle system, but most of Grandia 1 is easy to the point that you don't really need to take advantage of it.

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version of Grandia 2 that they released a couple years ago added a hard mode. Hopefully they do something similar for Grandia 1 since the series has a great battle system, but most of Grandia 1 is easy to the point that you don't really need to take advantage of it.
and if you do any of the challenging dungeons you get overpowered for the rest of it

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So many updates and 0 news. Thanks team! :)

werezompire, you should make Not Grandia RPG for the game after the one in dev! :) Alternatively, either CSH 2 Unleashed or Totally Not Lunar would also be acceptable.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017

-"Let me get it out of the way first, when I asked Mr. Miniagawa when we could expect to purchase Grandia HD on eShop or Steam, "Very Soon" was his immediate answer. He could not provide a hard release date, and he explained that GungHo is still in discussions with Nintendo in terms of release timing."

-"I also asked if there were any plans for a physical/retail release on Nintendo Switch. "Not at all" was Mr. Minagawa's response."

-"Not everything will be enhanced, however as audio quality will be the same as the PSX version. Also, while Grandia II got a new Hard Mode in its re-release in 2015, no such new additions will be made to the original Grandia."

-"Despite some previous reports last year saying that both the Saturn and PlayStation version source code would be used in this remaster, Mr. Minagawa stated to me plainly that the code base used is the original PlayStation version."

-"This did give the character sprites, to my eye in my time with the game, a slightly smeared look. There will not be options to choose original sprites."

More here- https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/861...th-gungho-at-e3-2019-and-hands-on-impressions

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The footage looks... fine? Maybe a bit too smooth? The stuff about the OST is a shame but this never looked like a terribly high-budget remaster.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
"We at RPG Site have also seen a lot of clamor from fans on social media pleading GungHo to release the Grandia HD Collection on PlayStation 4. I asked if this was something GungHo could consider in the future. Mr. Minagawa chuckled, "We'll think about it, but we felt the Switch was the console platform best suited for JRPGs, and we are first focused on release for Nintendo Switch and PC."

How do they figure that?

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was the game that had that Jester dude in it. Disappointed. Loved that game on my first Voodoo GPU equipped PC.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Grandia looks amazing !
And wide screen for most of the game is very very good news.
Grandia-Switch_20190611_03.jpg
Grandia-Switch_20190611_07.jpg

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We at RPG Site have also seen a lot of clamor from fans on social media pleading GungHo to release the Grandia HD Collection on PlayStation 4. I asked if this was something GungHo could consider in the future. Mr. Minagawa chuckled, "We'll think about it, but we felt the Switch was the console platform best suited for JRPGs, and we are first focused on release for Nintendo Switch and PC."

How do they figure that?

Maybe because the switch has outsold the PS4 in Japan?