• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

-"Let me get it out of the way first, when I asked Mr. Miniagawa when we could expect to purchase Grandia HD on eShop or Steam, "Very Soon" was his immediate answer. He could not provide a hard release date, and he explained that GungHo is still in discussions with Nintendo in terms of release timing."

-"I also asked if there were any plans for a physical/retail release on Nintendo Switch. "Not at all" was Mr. Minagawa's response."

-"Not everything will be enhanced, however as audio quality will be the same as the PSX version. Also, while Grandia II got a new Hard Mode in its re-release in 2015, no such new additions will be made to the original Grandia."

-"Despite some previous reports last year saying that both the Saturn and PlayStation version source code would be used in this remaster, Mr. Minagawa stated to me plainly that the code base used is the original PlayStation version."

-"This did give the character sprites, to my eye in my time with the game, a slightly smeared look. There will not be options to choose original sprites."

More here- https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/861...th-gungho-at-e3-2019-and-hands-on-impressions

Not able to view that article till I get home....but everything in that sum-up there sounds terrible. :(

If true not even worth buying.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Please please please let me diaqble the smoothing filter

Edit: I guess I won't. Fuck this. This looks horrible.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

-"Let me get it out of the way first, when I asked Mr. Miniagawa when we could expect to purchase Grandia HD on eShop or Steam, "Very Soon" was his immediate answer. He could not provide a hard release date, and he explained that GungHo is still in discussions with Nintendo in terms of release timing."

-"I also asked if there were any plans for a physical/retail release on Nintendo Switch. "Not at all" was Mr. Minagawa's response."

-"Not everything will be enhanced, however as audio quality will be the same as the PSX version. Also, while Grandia II got a new Hard Mode in its re-release in 2015, no such new additions will be made to the original Grandia."

-"Despite some previous reports last year saying that both the Saturn and PlayStation version source code would be used in this remaster, Mr. Minagawa stated to me plainly that the code base used is the original PlayStation version."

-"This did give the character sprites, to my eye in my time with the game, a slightly smeared look. There will not be options to choose original sprites."

More here- https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/861...th-gungho-at-e3-2019-and-hands-on-impressions

Very strange article that doesn't even go into the port job visuals and performance

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's not looking ideal. Playable maybe, but at this point the widescreen is the only somewhat neat thing about it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Disappointed they went back on what they said on using both the PS1 and Saturn games. :/ I was looking forward to the Saturn's higher-res battle backdrops and other details.

edit: this is some smeary/blurry shit. Did they really take this long to reveal a basic port? I was hoping for something a bit more special than just the PS1 game with a filter on the sprites and interface. And still 30fps it seems too. Oh well.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Not being based on the Saturn version, and no Grandia Digital Museum expansion is pretty deflating. The filter also looks iffy.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And why are these characters speaking both English and Japanese in the video? lol

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I'll still probably get this. I love both of these games and being able to relax on the switch is the bigger selling point. That said for how long its taken to show us this, I'm a little dismayed by the seemingly low budget port quality.

Like I said though, still in given that my only options for playing the first one are my PS1 copy an ocean away, or emulation at this point.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love how the game is already six months past due and their big E3 news are some screen shots and to say it's coming "very soon"....

What's the hold up with these ports? I just want to play Grandia 1...

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Lol, looks like my parents got me the cheapest eyes on the market as I think it looks great.

Will it look better when it's on ps4 ?
/s

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I was interested in getting a translated and up-rezzed version of the Saturn game. If this is really just the PS1 port with optional Japanese voices, I can stick with the PS1 classic on vita until this gets a price drop.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
It looks fine, however, in the battles it looks sorta...jerky? I've never played Grandia 1 before but that looked distracting.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
So how much difference is there with the Saturn version compared to the PSX? I've only played the Playstation version(s) of the Grandia games. Would there be a huge jump in quality if the up-rezzed the Saturn version?

Also, has it always been planned digital only? That's a bit disappointing, but we probably would have gotten a "download required", anyways, even if was physical.

And I don't see anything in the article on not having the Museum. Is it because it's not shown on the title screen the assumption it's not there?

But would have to say in just about everything in reading about the article sounded 'negative', or opposite of what we've been told before. The only positive was the widescreen support. Have to agree, quite disappointing. But will still probably purchase.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Not everything has to be on PS4 guys.

I have a Switch and a PS4 so I am not really affected by their decision but that doesn't mean I get it. Porting these old RPGs to the Switch only seems very weird. The PS4 is very Japanese-oriented for obvious reasons, even though it won't sell as much as the Switch over there.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
WOW, hugely disappointing. If we wanted ePSXe with 2XSAI applied, well, we already have it! The only way this was interesting, for me at least, was by making it definitive and using the Saturn.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
So, they are not using the Saturn version for anything? Ps1 battle backgrounds? Jittering? Sprite filter? Why did they bother with this?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Switch and a PS4 so I am not really affected by their decision but that doesn't mean I get it. Porting these old RPGs to the Switch only seems very weird. The PS4 is very Japanese-oriented for obvious reasons, even though it won't sell as much as the Switch over there.

Not to mention, while it wasnt initially only on PS, the series is mostly associated with PS because that's where all the games ended up. It's great that Switch is getting them obviously, since Grandia has never been on Nintendo platforms.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
They missed out on getting my money with the huge gap of information. Winter 2018 my ass. Just finished Grandia 2 last week and now have little to no interest in this. Might buy it down the road used at some point just to have it. Would've been a day one buy for me if they released anywhere near where they we're originally supposed to.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So how much difference is there with the Saturn version compared to the PSX? I've only played the Playstation version(s) of the Grandia games. Would there be a huge jump in quality if the up-rezzed the Saturn version?

Also, has it always been planned digital only? That's a bit disappointing, but we probably would have gotten a "download required", anyways, even if was physical.

And I don't see anything in the article on not having the Museum. Is it because it's not shown on the title screen the assumption it's not there?

But would have to say in just about everything in reading about the article sounded 'negative', or opposite of what we've been told before. The only positive was the widescreen support. Have to agree, quite disappointing. But will still probably purchase.
The Saturn version has better textures, better water effects, better battles.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Looks well enough to me. Will be going for this on Switch when available. I never played Grandia 2 and my last run of Grandia was on my pspgo in like 2011.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
This looks like crap. I was going to pick this up, but won't be now. I was really hoping for them to use the Saturn version as the base.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really, really disappointed that after all this time this is what they are coming out with.

Depending on the price on release it might be a pass for me which makes me really freaking sad.