• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
For now the only bad thing I see is how the voices are mix even after chosing Japanese.
The rest is improved.

I guess no Saturn version use is disapointing but it looks good to me anyway.
Hope they correct the last errors before it releases.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Why bother doing ugly upscaled portraits and UI elements when they could have simply bought this this guy's mod? It looks so much better.. and I doubt it would cost them a lot to use them in the official release.

And let's not even talk about Grandia 1, that filter is the worst.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Language audio issues aside (which it's an WIP build, so I expect this to get resolved), the way the graphics look so damn smeared up bothers me so much.. Like, a lot.

While I know the Saturn version looks a bit different in comparison, I don't even remember the PS1 version looking anywhere near as bad. I took a couple shots from the Saturn version awhile back, via RGB:

Dd_p-Z5VMAAUfqa.jpg

Dd_qOo5V4AAEfHC.jpg

Dd_qZ1oVwAEaKIN.jpg

Ignore the line on the left, as that was from the capture program I use for my capture device, and despite issues with my own RGB -> HDMI device I have, this looks way better than whatever is being shown off above. Sigh...

EDIT:

Wow, where did all the sound effects go??

Probably a by product of still implementing all the language specific audio, since battle audio also still uses the English audio, despite being selected to Japanese. Not defending this as a whole, but likely why.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Wow! It's a port of the PS1 version? From must buy to will not play even for free.
What a let down. They had the chance to do a definitive edition...

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing that the Saturn version is not being used at all for this, but having the game portable on my Switch still makes getting the games worth it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just checked the "Coming Soon" section on the eShop and it isn't listed. If only there was a "Coming Very Soon" option.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Looks like they ended up screwing this up after all. Likely won't bother getting it now.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Scrap the whole thing and do a proper HD remake of grandia 1. Don't even care about 2 honestly. The Grandia 1 can look amazing with graphic style like octopatch.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. This is.....so sad to see if news is accurate. I have never played either of these and would really like to.

Shit maybe I still will pick it up.....kinda torn. Might wait for one of our HC era fans to give it a go.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
mmmmmMMMMMM that smoothed look, don't know what to think. Looks so awkward on the blurry backgrounds. Also doesn't seem like it'll have many enhancements. Was hopinh gor a physical release too with some pre-order goodies too.

WHATEVER i'm buying it anyway!

Oct 27, 2017
The Grandia 1 sprites look awful. Honestly, you're probably better off tracking down the game and playing it via emulation on PC or via back-compact on PS3/Vita (where you can get the game digitally for like $10).

This collection is going to be a pass from me. I'll track down the PS1 discs instead.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I recently acquired a Saturn actually. I wonder how much the English version of Grandia goes for on resale sites.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Played through Grandia for the first time last year. It's become one of my favorite games ever. So hyp eto play Grandia 2 and have an hd version of 1.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Saturn version does have a fan translation. Interesting...

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So Saturn version does have a fan translation. Interesting...

Here you go.

Translating Grandia

So I thought I'd snoop around in Grandia's files and do some comparing and contrasting with the US and JP PS1 releases to see how different they are. The thought process was to see if it would be possible to extract the English script out of the PS1 version, and possibly use that as a base to...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who typically hates bilinear filting in all forms, I actually kinda like it in this case? I think it's because the sprite scaling without a filter makes me feel a bit ill.

Shame it's based on an objectively inferior version, though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the thread bump and got excited. All this time and this is almost the least desired result.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Very strange article that doesn't even go into the port job visuals and performance

the lack of Hard mode is a huge turn off, they didn't do a amazing job for Grandia 2, but at least it was way harder then the original (at least the second half of the game). Sound like they butch that HD remake big time..

I suppose they didn't event touch the collosium/museum disk (the small extension that came out in japan )... this is garbage...

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
"We at RPG Site have also seen a lot of clamor from fans on social media pleading GungHo to release the Grandia HD Collection on PlayStation 4. I asked if this was something GungHo could consider in the future. Mr. Minagawa chuckled, "We'll think about it, but we felt the Switch was the console platform best suited for JRPGs, and we are first focused on release for Nintendo Switch and PC."

How do they figure that?

I have a Switch and a PS4 so I am not really affected by their decision but that doesn't mean I get it. Porting these old RPGs to the Switch only seems very weird. The PS4 is very Japanese-oriented for obvious reasons, even though it won't sell as much as the Switch over there.
Not to mention, while it wasnt initially only on PS, the series is mostly associated with PS because that's where all the games ended up. It's great that Switch is getting them obviously, since Grandia has never been on Nintendo platforms.

What these guys said Oregano

I'm buying it for my Switch for portability, however, people like choices ya know.

Lots of new info here. Sorry if it's been posted and I somehow missed it:

Digital only, will consider PS4, based on the PS1 version, no filter options.

It looks like a skip from me.

I'll still pick it up. OF course, I'd love a complete remake with updated everything, but..

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I recently acquired a Saturn actually. I wonder how much the English version of Grandia goes for on resale sites.

There is no English version. It's why people (like me) were excited for this version. I beat it entirely in Japanese back in the day and I'd rather not play a worse looking version 20 years later.

So disappointed.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Very strange article that doesn't even go into the port job visuals and performance

Hi. I wrote this article. I didn't say much about the performance I saw because it was a brief meeting, the producer was upfront to say it's still WIP, and you can .. see it for yourself.

fwiw I also didn't style it as an interview because it was more of a casual conversation as we demoed. I was mostly interested in clarifying some particulars about the release that GungHo hadn't quite stated.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointed they decided to use a smoothing filter on the sprites and UI elements. I don't expect them to redraw all the assets (though the game deserves that level of treatment), but at least give us some filter options. A lot of time and effort has obviously gone into this, but a few questionable aesthetic choices (in addition to the backpedalling on using the Saturn code) is enough to deflate my excitement.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking for official english saturn version so this seems like an easy skip. Weird filters on top of this and no physical release too.

Original hardware + CRT then.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Hi. I wrote this article. I didn't say much about the performance I saw because it was a brief meeting, the producer was upfront to say it's still WIP, and you can .. see it for yourself.

fwiw I also didn't style it as an interview because it was more of a casual conversation as we demoed. I was mostly interested in clarifying some particulars about the release that GungHo hadn't quite stated.
I understand. Saw the video after that comment btw so my bad. Video speaks for itself. I think the jittery pixel is something unavoidable because of the fact it always was that way but maybe less apparent because of the lower pixels. You got video of Grandia 2 as well?

Oct 31, 2017
Grandia is amazing. Grandia 2 is great.

Grandia 3 isn't very good!
Once Mom leaves the group, the game falls off a cliff.

That's kinda true, but I honestly still really enjoyed Grandia III the whole way through. But I legit teared up at that moment in the game. Fuck the person in the dev team who thought that was a good idea

Oct 31, 2017
Looking forward to playing Grandia for the first time and looking forward to playing a non-horrid port of Grandia II. I bought it for the PS2 severely underestimating the botched job of the port. The game literally felt like a slideshow like half the time. It was unbelievably bad. I didn't even make it halfway through before calling it quits.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
That's kinda true, but I honestly still really enjoyed Grandia III the whole way through. But I legit teared up at that moment in the game. Fuck the person in the dev team who thought that was a good idea
I still hold that if Miranda and Alonso weren't the only good characters in that game it would have been one of the highlights. The parts where she was struggling to accept that her son needed to be able to go off on his own were legitimately well-done.

Oct 31, 2017
I still hold that if Miranda and Alonso weren't the only good characters in that game it would have been one of the highlights. The parts where she was struggling to accept that her son needed to be able to go off on his own were legitimately well-done.

I agree. While I think G3 as a whole is like a solid 8/10, the first 7 hours were legit a 10/10 to me. It's a shame that it didn't retain that quality throughout the entire game

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely disappointing. I have both the Saturn and PS versions already and was hoping for a fully translated Saturn version, but it looks like this is just an emulated PS game. So frustrating. The Saturn version is definitely the better version of the two, but they took this long to give us this? They could have said this months ago.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So now that this version will just be based on the PS1, do people recommend playing that version still or not? I was thinking of getting it on PSN as a PSOne classic.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointing they're not using Saturn as a base and the port looks pretty rough/budget. Not super encouraging. :(

"We at RPG Site have also seen a lot of clamor from fans on social media pleading GungHo to release the Grandia HD Collection on PlayStation 4. I asked if this was something GungHo could consider in the future. Mr. Minagawa chuckled, "We'll think about it, but we felt the Switch was the console platform best suited for JRPGs, and we are first focused on release for Nintendo Switch and PC."

How do they figure that?
Sales figures. Multiplats (Atelier, Disgaea, Ys, Valkyria, Tales, etc) are generally selling better on Switch than PS4 (or Steam actually) in the major western markets. For a game like this it does make some sense financially to prioritize Switch.
Not to mention, while it wasnt initially only on PS, the series is mostly associated with PS because that's where all the games ended up. It's great that Switch is getting them obviously, since Grandia has never been on Nintendo platforms.
I mostly associate it was Sega platforms. Same for Lunar. That's where both originated and remain best.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandia:_Parallel_Trippers

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. So they basically applied the smoothing filter you can switch on on emulators. Kinda weak there.

However ... I might still get it if I want to play the game. But the remaster is not looking so hot. Maybe they will add a "remove filter" option because it's kind of, by nature, a cheap-looking effect, in my opinion.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I understand opinions, but how can you associate a series with a platform that doesn't have half the games? G1 wasnt even officially translated on Saturn, and that GBC spinoff wasnt translated either. PS2 can play all 4 mainline games.
Because 3 is garbage and while Xtreme is solid, it's also a dungeon crawling spinoff. Also the PS versions of G1/2 are inferior ports and really G1/2 are all that matter.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it if it's super cheap. More than 20 bucks and I'm out. I love PS1 era JRPGs so I I won't mind playing in on my Switch for that price or below.