• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What these guys said Oregano

I'm buying it for my Switch for portability, however, people like choices ya know.

I'll still pick it up. OF course, I'd love a complete remake with updated everything, but..

PS4 owners should be happy with the support they get, publishers don't owe them anything.

If you can't tell I'm just echoing the dumb shit that gets said when people ask about Switch versions of games.

Publishers should be publishing everywhere unless its literally impossible, or the first party has is contributing to the game.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
It'd be better to delay the release and fix a lot of the deal breakers mentioned here than to release and get review bombed on Steam.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
PS4 owners should be happy with the support they get, publishers don't owe them anything.

If you can't tell I'm just echoing the dumb shit that gets said when people ask about Switch versions of games.

Publishers should be publishing everywhere unless its literally impossible, or the first party has is contributing to the game.

I got a warning for a joke post earlier in the thread, I don't know anymore, lol.

I agree though. Like with Vita, I'll be inclined to buy more titles that are portable because I have more away from my TV to play.

Last edited:

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, I've already played the PS1 version. Given the hype about the Saturn version I was hoping this would be based on that.

Might get it on Steam eventually just to have it as a part of my PC library.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I understand opinions, but how can you associate a series with a platform that doesn't have half the games? G1 wasnt even officially translated on Saturn, and that GBC spinoff wasnt translated either. PS2 can play all 4 mainline games.

Well for 1)we're talking about ports of 1 and 2.
2) both games came out much later for Sony platforms and had worse performance.
3) importing Saturn games wasn't at all unusual and is an odd reason to discount it as being associated with the system. Japanese games for the Saturn used to be sold directly at EB games and Babbages back in the day. Take it from somebody who beat the first game in Japanese without understanding a word.
4) really weird to say you understand opinions and then immediately dismiss them. Some of us simply have different life experiences.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Well for 1)we're talking about ports of 1 and 2.
2) both games came out much later for Sony platforms and had worse performance.
3) importing Saturn games wasn't at all unusual and is an odd reason to discount it as being associated with the system. Japanese games for the Saturn used to be sold directly at EB games and Babbages back in the day. Take it from somebody who beat the first game in Japanese without understanding a word.
4) really weird to say you understand opinions and then immediately dismiss them. Some of us simply have different life experiences.

Cool yeah I get that, that's why I asked them the question. Do you also associate Star Ocean with Nintendo?

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Update: they're working to match the Saturn versions details & effects while using the Playstation versions code as a base-

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Cool yeah I get that, that's why I asked them the question. Do you also associate Star Ocean with Nintendo?

No, because the first game isn't generally considered the highlight of the series nor was importing SNES games common. The second game also didn't originate on a Nintendo system. I feel like that's a weird example.

Do you associate Final Fantasy 5 as a PlayStation game?

Update: they're working to match the Saturn versions details & effects while using the Playstation versions code as a base-

Mmhmmm....I'm gonna just wait on digital foundry for this one.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No, because the first game isn't generally considered the highlight of the series nor was importing SNES games common. The second game also didn't originate on a Nintendo system. I feel like that's a weird example.

Do you associate Final Fantasy 5 as a PlayStation game?

Mmhmmm....I'm gonna just wait on digital foundry for this one.

How is my example weirder than yours lol

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
That was blatantly the PlayStation's battle backgrounds, so I do not buy their claims.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The whole idea of what family of platforms a series is associated with is dumb. People on Era would associate Dragon Quest with Sony despite the fact the majority of the games have been on Nintendo.(hell Sony did too when DQ Heroes was announced)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
First off, I let the Grandia 3 smack talk slide last time but not this time lol

But yeah I like being able to read the games I play, it helps me like them.
Not playing G2 at all is probably better than playing the garbage PS2 port. And not understanding G1 is probably preferable to the english voice acting.

The whole idea of what family of platforms a series is associated with is dumb. People on Era would associate Dragon Quest with Sony despite the fact the majority of the games have been on Nintendo.(hell Sony did too when DQ Heroes was announced)
Associations like this seem to only be relevant or "matter" on Era when they go one certain way anyway. It's really just adjacent console wars.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they show the game like this if their statement holds water? The battle background is just blatant enough.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Just saw these updates. As I've never played the game Im not sure what to make of the most recent statement so I will probably reserve purchase my fellow Grandia experts give their 2 cents.

Hrmmm....I wonder if it would behoove GungHo to release an early demo of the remaster to garner addl feedback or criticism. Probably no way in hell but might be cool.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
I haven't been following the game enough to know the difference between the Saturn and PlayStation versions but I liked what I saw in Gamexplain's direct feed footage
Can someone who knows more about the game tell me whether it is worth a pick up? (Looks great to me but maybe there's an issue I don't know about in this version)

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>:(

First image comes from GameXplain's footage of Grandia 1 HD. Second image is the Saturn version.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

They're lying. Here's more footage of Grandia HD:

All of the environmental shadows from the Saturn version are missing.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really upsetting. I really, really, want Grandia 1 HD to be the best it can be. There's no release date so there's still time to tell them about these issues popping up in all the footage shown.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

First image comes from GameXplain's footage of Grandia 1 HD. Second image is the Saturn version.

It's so weird how the ground in Parm got messed up like that. Like, it's the very first area of the game that you're guaranteed to spend a lot of time exploring because the very first thing you do is a scavenger hunt.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

They're trying to scam people into thinking they've actually made an effort.

This port is missing all of the environmental shadows from the Saturn version.

1498922348532.jpg

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Really? I think those filtered sprites and portraits look awful.

Like, its not as bad as Chrono Trigger or FFVI but still bad.
Wow I just saw the comment below showing the missing shadows and yeah this doesn't look good. Like I said, didn't know enough about the game to make a judgement. Going to wait on this one to see if something changes

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
They're trying to scam people into thinking they've actually made an effort.

This port is missing all of the environmental shadows from the Saturn version.

1498922348532.jpg

When is it coming out? It's possible for the graphics to be improved upon before release. Look at Fire Emblem Three Houses. That's a much more complex 3D game.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I really, really, hope the Grandia 1 translation is redone or at least fixed up.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this flew under my radar. This looks like it has the potential to become the new definite edition.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
There's a clip in the article that should probably be in the OP

Yeah this looks horrible. All my hype has gone out the window. Guess I'll be going with the old verison on PS3. I waited all this time for nothing I feel like I got baited

I really like the classic Pixel Art look in the original.

Holy shit, this flew under my radar. This looks like it has the potential to become the new definite edition.
I am assuming you never looked at the Art from the classic version? Anyway that's awesome you're hyped. Just dont even bother looking at the original Art or maybe you like the new crappy filter or whatever they have done here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this looks horrible. All my hype has gone out the window. Guess I'll be going with the old verison on PS3. I waited all this time for nothing I feel like I got baited

I really like the classic Pixel Art look in the original.

I am assuming you never looked at the Art from the classic version? Anyway that's awesome you're hyped. Just dont even bother looking at the original Art or maybe you like the new crappy filter or whatever they have done here.

I played it on the PS as a kid and then replayed it under the Saturn Version much later using a guide(which I still own). I was just going based off the OP in regards to my comment. I know it'll be hard to do the art justice on a modern panel compared to a CRT but I think it looks pretty good from the screenshot in the OP. They would need to do a major visual overhaul to make it look better than the original. Part of the original's charm is it's 2D+3D look that hid it's deficiencies on a CRT and that was always going to be hard to translate well into a modern HD screen.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about this is that finally bringing back Grandia 1 to the current era it got the most major fix of all that it desperately needed, no load times between battles. With how frequent it is, I sometimes see people having a hard time getting into it. So that is a wonderful improvement, but with how everything else is turning out, it's really bumming me out.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The worst thing about this is that finally bringing back Grandia 1 to the current era it got the most major fix of all that it desperately needed, no load times between battles. With how frequent it is, I sometimes see people having a hard time getting into it. So that is a wonderful improvement, but with how everything else is turning out, it's really bumming me out.
It also had pretty bad loading times to open the menu and change zones, the latter being especially bad when towns are full of houses to go into.

If it comes down to it hopefully someone can make a mod to revert the sprite filter.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Whoever is handling this should be fired. What a mess. Bad communication, lazy port. I'm really sad since Grandia 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games ever. I hope they re-evaluate this and delay it till it's up to par.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my copy of the first Grandia... how are load times on the PS Classic via USB stick? Does it emulate the drive speed as well, or are loads faster on it? I might just play it that way since this just looks... not good. :(