• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still exceptionally happy to see this being made and, whilst I know why the work they've done on the sprites and textures to up-res them isn't to everyone's taste, it's great to see the environments rendered at a higher res and the framerate much smoother.

Just need the release date!

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Any avenues of communication for the team regarding potential concerns or updates? Im sure it doesn't do anything big but always good to keep in contact with the devs.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still exceptionally happy to see this being made and, whilst I know why the work they've done on the sprites and textures to up-res them isn't to everyone's taste, it's great to see the environments rendered at a higher res and the framerate much smoother.

Just need the release date!
Yeah, can't wait to replay these.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I have a huge nostalgic soft-spot for Grandia II. Have people spotted anything wrong with that game in this collection so far? All the negative feedback I've seen is regarding the first game.

Grandia II with a proper wide-screen mode and sharper models sounds great to me. Not the kind of thing I'd be there day 1 for, but definitely something I'd buy down the line.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
They're trying to scam people into thinking they've actually made an effort.

This port is missing all of the environmental shadows from the Saturn version.

1498922348532.jpg
I just don't get why they are not even bothering to make a modicum of an effort. They could certainly generate more Goodwill and have overall better sales and pave the way for future game ports.

I guess we shall see. If they do get Saturn features in, I will grab the Steam version. Otherwise either Vita, PSX copy or emulation will do.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I have a huge nostalgic soft-spot for Grandia II. Have people spotted anything wrong with that game in this collection so far? All the negative feedback I've seen is regarding the first game.

Grandia II with a proper wide-screen mode and sharper models sounds great to me. Not the kind of thing I'd be there day 1 for, but definitely something I'd buy down the line.
I thought that Grandma 2 HD was quite decent on PC post patching. You could get it on the cheap during next Steam sale and it doesn't need any sort of advances hardware to run.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I might be late on this comment (being on the E3 floor can be pretty hectic). Based on my conversation with them, the statement they sent me (RPG Site), and what we see. they are saying they'll try to recreate some of the Saturn benefits while using PS code, but we can only judge what we see, of course.

The Grandia II remaster was based off the Dreamcast version, and also uses models instead of sprites so there is no worry about smoothing. The PC version is pretty good after a few patches, so if it updates to proper widescreen and touches up a few UI elements, it could be the best version.

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone is bitching that it's the psx version it's still fucking grandia and still one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. You can protest by pirating and emulating a dead mans magnum opus but I'm buying the re release of this classic.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I might be late on this comment (being on the E3 floor can be pretty hectic). Based on my conversation with them, the statement they sent me (RPG Site), and what we see. they are saying they'll try to recreate some of the Saturn benefits while using PS code, but we can only judge what we see, of course.

I don't see how they can do that without looking at the Saturn code for how it was done as well as getting the textures. This seems like it's a complete emulation of the PS version and this stuff with the Saturn is just nonsense. I was all in on this, but I have the PS version already. I basically wanted the Saturn version with English text. We're definitely not getting that.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they can do that without looking at the Saturn code for how it was done as well as getting the textures. This seems like it's a complete emulation of the PS version and this stuff with the Saturn is just nonsense. I was all in on this, but I have the PS version already. I basically wanted the Saturn version with English text. We're definitely not getting that.

Right, the talk about them trying to 'work with' the Saturn version without its code seems just fluffy PR.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
That smoothing filter doesn't look as horrid as these things usually do, but I should still be allowed to turn it off and get the original sharp pixels. For some reason Japanese developers seem to not be aware that a lot of fans actually want those sharp pixels.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that Grandma 2 HD was quite decent on PC post patching. You could get it on the cheap during next Steam sale and it doesn't need any sort of advances hardware to run.

The Grandia II remaster was based off the Dreamcast version, and also uses models instead of sprites so there is no worry about smoothing. The PC version is pretty good after a few patches, so if it updates to proper widescreen and touches up a few UI elements, it could be the best version.

Cool, thanks for the info! If this really is coming "very soon" as they say, I think I'll just wait to pick up this collection rather than go with the steam HD release. Not being tied to a PC and having proper wide-screen support would be worth the extra bucks, in my opinion.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Cool, thanks for the info! If this really is coming "very soon" as they say, I think I'll just wait to pick up this collection rather than go with the steam HD release. Not being tied to a PC and having proper wide-screen support would be worth the extra bucks, in my opinion.
As long as the port is good, yeah, it should work fine. It's not a demanding title for obvious reasons. Having it on a portable is also a plus.

That said, it works fine on PC and there are no performance concerns there. Also, it's cheaper :).

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This looks entire likely an emulation based remaster. What a shame. The PS version is so cut back in spots it makes me not want to give a shit.

Nothing about this looks HD. I may as well run the ps1 version on a vita.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God PS4 is atleast in the running, lol. Even if it takes a little while. Maybe they can tighten up the graphics in the mean time?

Hopefully it'll have a Platinum trophy as well. One of my favourite franchises of all time. Can't wait.

Hopefully Grandia 3 and X are also being considered.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping they can still put out a good looking Grandia 1, but even if it doesn't look like the Saturn version, it will just be nice to have it on a current console. As well as with Grandia II, which is a great game in itself.

Hopefully it'll have a Platinum trophy as well. One of my favourite franchises of all time. Can't wait.

This is coming out for the Switch, so no trophies/achievements.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they can still put out a good looking Grandia 1, but even if it doesn't look like the Saturn version, it will just be nice to have it on a current console. As well as with Grandia II, which is a great game in itself.

This is coming out for the Switch, so no trophies/achievements.

Sorry, I meant on PS4. Sometimes these games just come with a few, not the full trophies.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I meant on PS4. Sometimes these games just come with a few, not the full trophies.

Yeah, I see now you had said hopefully if it hits PS4. He did say "they'll think about it". So it's possible they may do so at some day. But it isn't something I would count on, or anything that happens anytime soon.

Although I agree, if it was released on multiple platforms (including PS4), I would be going with the PS4 version.

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
I haven't been following the game enough to know the difference between the Saturn and PlayStation versions but I liked what I saw in Gamexplain's direct feed footage
Can someone who knows more about the game tell me whether it is worth a pick up? (Looks great to me but maybe there's an issue I don't know about in this version)

The game will be well worth picking up if you are a fan of JRPG's. It's really as simple as that, despite all the negativity in this thread.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Grandia 1 is a strong candidate for best JRPG on both the Saturn (where it originated but was never localized into English) and PS1 (where it has an okay port that has a few downgrades but is in English). It just remains to be seen how good this version is.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Footage looks pretty good. Will probably get.

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
Just saw these updates. As I've never played the game Im not sure what to make of the most recent statement so I will probably reserve purchase my fellow Grandia experts give their 2 cents.

Hrmmm....I wonder if it would behoove GungHo to release an early demo of the remaster to garner addl feedback or criticism. Probably no way in hell but might be cool.

If you've had your eye on this game for awhile and were never able to play it I would highly recommend purchasing. Some of the issues that are being discussed here have no effect on the overall experience of the game.

Its a great (one of the best) JRPG's of the 90's-2000's.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grandia 1 is a blue skies kind of game. It's just plain good fun adventure and mystery without the cynicism.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Grandia 1 is a blue skies kind of game. It's just plain good fun adventure and mystery without the cynicism.
Ain't that the truth.

I wish it was out on Switch RIGHT NOW 'cause that's the kind of game I really want to play.

...Anyone got any suggestions for something that IS out that fits this qualification? D:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a physical PS1 copy of Grandia 1 sitting here for years but haven't played it. I guess now it's just a matter of waiting and seeing if this new version will at least be better than that one.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched some more footage like this 17 minute chunk below and man, I really feel like its a huge step up from the PS1 copy I played long ago. I know people are desperate for features to be brought over from the saturn version, but I completely disagree that the devs have done no work and are being too lazy to do a good job. A ton of effort is being put into this by a small number of people to bring us the definitive version, if just for the widescreen support and framerate improvements.

I refuse to believe that they've been sat on the button that switches on all the saturn effects and simply decided they weren't going to bother using it.

EDIT:Just want to add, I do agree that the saturn version has many improvements over the PS1 version, and I know why people want those effects brought over. I just think if it was a straight forward job to use that as the base, then they would have done it. Budgets and time constraints will have been the big obstacle I imagine. However, I would be keen to also learn more about why so many of the effects were better on the Saturn version of Grandia. Anyone got some good insight before I start googling?

Last edited:

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
It's still missing the environment shadows and water reflections from the Saturn version (work in progress?) but looks clean.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No Grandia 3 is sorta okay, but to have no Grandia Xtreme... my god, we're supposed to be civilized here!

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched some more footage like this 17 minute chunk below and man, I really feel like its a huge step up from the PS1 copy I played long ago. I know people are desperate for features to be brought over from the saturn version, but I completely disagree that the devs have done no work and are being too lazy to do a good job. A ton of effort is being put into this by a small number of people to bring us the definitive version, if just for the widescreen support and framerate improvements.

I refuse to believe that they've been sat on the button that switches on all the saturn effects and simply decided they weren't going to bother using it.

EDIT:Just want to add, I do agree that the saturn version has many improvements over the PS1 version, and I know why people want those effects brought over. I just think if it was a straight forward job to use that as the base, then they would have done it. Budgets and time constraints will have been the big obstacle I imagine. However, I would be keen to also learn more about why so many of the effects were better on the Saturn version of Grandia. Anyone got some good insight before I start googling?

Not having environmental shadows is one thing, and I can be okay with not having them if it's something they can't do or whatever. But everything else is weird. The jittery battles that are difficult to look at, the weird smoothing of textures and art assets, and the ground texture layout in the very first town is messed up like it was in the PS1 port. I really don't know how anyone saw the mess that is the first town and thought it was fine to begin with in the PS1 port though.

Just look at how the first town looks in the original Saturn version.

Last edited:

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the sprite filtering is an option. Don't think it looks good. And I hope there's more to it. It looks like the battle bgs are also 2D.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
There's a widescreen patch for the Saturn version. You can use that with the english translation (disc 1 100% playable in english right now), run on Kronos or Yaba Sanshiro at high resolutions without the sprite filter (which you can use whatever you want). Much better results than what was shown.
I'm currently playing it on a real saturn on my 4K TV through OSSC and a scanline generator and the game looks glorious.
I was going to buy this but I really have no hope they will deliver a better version.
Almost finishing the disc 1. The wait for disc 2 will be wild.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish they indicated that the source was taken from the Saturn version (for Grandia I), but in the end, it won't make a difference to me on purchasing the remaster. I've only played the PSX version and to play the game again, even if improved only a bit, is a bonus to me. The real bonus for myself is playing the Anniversary edition of Grandia II, which I've never played.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Real shame some people are going to skip out on this. I understand wanting all the Saturn features and I wish it was that way too. But like this is our only chance at resurrecting Grandia as a series.
If you're fine with just playing it on an emulator then that's your choice.
I'll be getting this to support the series and to get a better version of the game that doesn't require fiddling with emulator settings and patches.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it's still the PS1 version, having the Japanese voices and eliminating the loading are pretty strong selling points for me.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no point to call this a remaster if they are using the ps1 ver as a base. The Saturn version is the master version of the game.

Is like claiming to remaster the Beatles , and using cassette versions as your base.

A total pass for me. Not even at discounted price. Wish they didn't waste their time on this.