• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Yet another JRPG re-release with a music loop glitch??

tenor.gif

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Wish they were released separately but eh.

Sorry, I'll pretend I think £36.99 for two barely upgraded games is acceptable to make you feel better if you want?

I know how good the games are. But at £36.99? Come on, what the hell is going on. It's a rip off and as a fan of the games I am bitterly disappointed and disgusted, yes disgusted, at the horrendously high price.

Other than portability why should I buy this at £3 less than I bought the brilliant Fire Emblem Three Housrs when I have a PS1 copy of Grandia and a PC version of Grandia II which cost me about £8?

I know the Switch store is overpriced in general because of the so called "Switch Tax", but I stand but what I said, this price point is absolutely ridiculous. I feel strongly enough about this that I feel I need to make a fuss.
You're definitely not the target audience.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
My used Grandia 1 discs were beat up so I could never beat it. Grandia 2 is one of my favorite games.

I will be getting this soon and enjoying the hell out of it.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'll be waiting on Japanese text before I pick this up so hopefully some things will have been patched by then.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get that much support. Gung-ho doesn't seem to trustworthy so far

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I've played about an hour so far and really enjoying it. The filter is livable, but I can see why people have had issues with it.

But what really has been disappointing is the music loop, it is very noticeable. You can hear the (slight) hesitation on when it stops and then starts up again. It's been a long time since I've played Grandia, but I do not remember the music loop in it.

Hopefully this is something they patch, and soon.

Amnesiac

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Replaying Grandia 1 for the first time in maybe 14 or 15 years and I forgot how much I hate trying to get around Parm--especially because all the buildings look exactly the same. I had a similar problem during my recent Xenogears replay too. Early 3D JRPG towns did not age well.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I'll pretend I think £36.99 for two barely upgraded games is acceptable to make you feel better if you want?

I know how good the games are. But at £36.99? Come on, what the hell is going on. It's a rip off and as a fan of the games I am bitterly disappointed and disgusted, yes disgusted, at the horrendously high price.

Other than portability why should I buy this at £3 less than I bought the brilliant Fire Emblem Three Housrs when I have a PS1 copy of Grandia and a PC version of Grandia II which cost me about £8?

I know the Switch store is overpriced in general because of the so called "Switch Tax", but I stand but what I said, this price point is absolutely ridiculous. I feel strongly enough about this that I feel I need to make a fuss.

"Switch Tax" complaining here is tremendously stupid, as it usually is. Grandia 2 was $20 on PC. Grandia 1 will be $20 on PC. The problem is the forced bundle, not the individual items being jacked up in price. It's the same dumb complaining about the Switch Tax for the Baldur's Gate physical release.. which was the same price as the PS4 and XBox releases.

Replaying Grandia 1 for the first time in maybe 14 or 15 years and I forgot how much I hate trying to get around Parm--especially because all the buildings look exactly the same. I had a similar problem during my recent Xenogears replay too. Early 3D JRPG towns did not age well.

I always sort of hated towns in the Grandia series, in general, which is why I tend to like Xtreme (the dungeon crawler) the most.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Ha, it's so good to get back in Grandia. It's even better than I remembered.

It really has that style, like the real good adventure anime movies/series, like Nausica, Nadia...

One of the few games with good dialogs with NPC. Real dialogs, not just a random lore monologue.

Celebrated the release with a doodle. I've missed these two T_T

You didn't miss Sue !?
T_T

Awesome doodle.
So what is everyone going to play this with? I'm guessing Pro Controller for almost everyone? That's what I will be doing.
Handheld.

Why especially pro controller though ?
It's just a turn based rpg. Joycons actually could be more comfortable.
I had this problem when I was really young but not anymore.
Subconscious mental mapping being better or something ?

Talking with people also help to remember where you are, they're pretty memorable.

Last edited:

Amnesiac

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ha, it's so good to get back in Grandia. It's even better than I remembered.

It really has that style, like the real good adventure anime movies/series, like Nausica, Nadia...

One of the few games with good dialogs with NPC. Real dialogs, not just a random lore monologue.

You didn't miss Sue !?
T_T

Awesome doodle.

Handheld.

Why especially pro controller though ?
It's just a turn based rpg. Joycons actually could be more comfortable.

I had this problem when I was really young but not anymore.
Subconscious mental mapping being better or something ?

Talking with people also help to remember where you are, they're pretty memorable.

The subconscious mental mapping definitely helped this time around! I had that too. I just kept leaving the town by accident when I wasn't even trying to because there were no obvious borders.. and the first major thing you do in the game being a fetch quest didn't help. I think ti's mainly a combination of the way the camera works and lack of any kind of map for the town. I feel like towns in late 90's RPG's with pre-rendered backgrounds worked a lot better for their time.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Gosh I want this so bad, if I didn't have a million things to play.. first discount this gets, I'm on it.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Ah ok maybe he will chime in. I think he mentioned something about the blurred sides in the video? Maybe not. Regardless it's not a deal breaker for me it's unfortunate lol but I'm excited to have both games on the go, even if they are missing features from what I've heard are the better Saturn versions :)

Edit: I wonder what are the chances we could ever get a LUNAR 1+2 collection on modern consoles? I adore the Sega CD and PS1 versions of both games and with there being no 3D in the games perhaps a port could come out looking really good. I wonder if Victor Ireland has ever considered doing this. These are 2 of my very favorite games ever and they capture some kind of magic for me that really has never been replicated. <3

Has always been a rights issue according to Victor. He always spoke about trying to get re-releases as PS Classics (like Arc the Lad, Alundra and Vanguard Bandits) But he never managed it. I think the fact that Studio Alex has some residual rights (and they got sued into oblivion by Game Arts) made things quite messy. Because afaik Game Arts/Gung-ho had the Working Designs translation rights from Victor for the Lunar Silver Star Story PSP port (Xseed ended up doing their own translation which annoyed a lot of hardcore fans)

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry to be so negative but I'm so hacked off I feel need to post.

£36.99 is an insulting and absolutely disgusting price point. It's a joke. I am a potential customer, I am the target audience and Nintendo and GungHo, but this has pissed me off beyond salvage.

Absolutely zero incentive to buy this "upgrade" at this disgrace of a price.

I will stick to my PS1 version of Grandia and PC version of Grandia II. Really disappointed and genuinely disgusted.
How do you feel about the Mana collection that also comes out to $20/game?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The subconscious mental mapping definitely helped this time around! I had that too. I just kept leaving the town by accident when I wasn't even trying to because there were no obvious borders.. and the first major thing you do in the game being a fetch quest didn't help. I think ti's mainly a combination of the way the camera works and lack of any kind of map for the town. I feel like towns in late 90's RPG's with pre-rendered backgrounds worked a lot better for their time.
I agree.
Technically there's the top down view but since as you say, the camera spins constantly it's not easy on the brain.

In a way I'd say it adds to the "adventure" feel. You really have to make your way in the whole world.
Might seem like a cheap excuse but I really believe it works a bit that way. I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoy the game as much if it wasn't at least a bit true.

In a way, that's how I think pokemon should be. You never feel really lost beside rare caves maze moments which is not the best way to picture it imo.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Has always been a rights issue according to Victor. He always spoke about trying to get re-releases as PS Classics (like Arc the Lad, Alundra and Vanguard Bandits) But he never managed it. I think the fact that Studio Alex has some residual rights (and they got sued into oblivion by Game Arts) made things quite messy. Because afaik Game Arts/Gung-ho had the translation rights for the Lunar Silver Star Story PSP port (Xseed ended up doing their own translation which annoyed a lot of hardcore fans)
Then how come there's the iOS port of the PS1 version that uses the Working Designs translation wholesale (aside from the English dub). It's not even one of those ports that were thrown on there and left to rot, it got updates as recently as last year.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm surprised by how good it looks on a big current TV !
After all the complains I thought it wouldn't.

Didn't see battles yet but it was already not good looking on original consoles anyway so I don't really care.
I was more interested by the environments.

Edit : battles actually look fine. Cool !

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing Grandia 2. Why do battles just immediately start with a black screen? And why is there a split second stutter at the start of every battle? My only experience with Grandia 2 was the Dreamcast version way back and I don't remember it being like this (wasn't there like a fade transition of sorts?)

Still interested to see how the spell FMVs look like in widescreen

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Just started playing Grandia 2. Why do battles just immediately start with a black screen? And why is there a split second stutter at the start of every battle? My only experience with Grandia 2 was the Dreamcast version way back and I don't remember it being like this (wasn't there like a fade transition of sorts?)
There was a fancy wipe/fade to black, but there was also a bit of loading time.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Then how come there's the iOS port of the PS1 version that uses the Working Designs translation wholesale (aside from the English dub). It's not even one of those ports that were thrown on there and left to rot, it got updates as recently as last year.

Well I'm just parroting what Vireland has said in forum posts over the years. There must have been something that stopped it (unless at the end of the day, Gamearts just didn't want any competition for the iOS game/psp remaster). Wouldn't be surprised if he actually doesn't have any of residual rights anymore and just attempted to prod Gamearts/Gung-ho to do a re-release over the years.
There's still the question of Eternal Blue never getting a re-release of any sort, which has always been a point of speculation re-rights (but we're going off topic here, so I'll try to refrain from further non-grandia talk)

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It's really bizarre how this keeps happening with Square Enix based remasters. They weren't even involved with this one except by name, and it happened once again.
What's the issue with music? The only thing thing I know about music issues and Square Enix remasters is music looping back again to the beginning after battles, but wasn't that how the original games behaved as well (both Grandia 1 and 2)?

Edit:
I did notice a strange issue though with Grandia 2, during the first dungeon (Garmia Tower). When going up the stairs, music volume seems to lower for some reason. Then after a battle, volume returns to normal.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What's the issue with music? The only thing thing I know about music issues and Square Enix remasters is music looping back again to the beginning after battles, but wasn't that how the original games behaved as well (both Grandia 1 and 2)?

Edit:
I did notice a strange issue though with Grandia 2, during the first dungeon (Garmia Tower). When going up the stairs, music volume seems to lower for some reason. Then after a battle, volume returns to normal.

When the music loops there is a slight cut you can hear, it stops for 0,1 second or so.
Like here at 33:35.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
Does that black flash really happen at the start of every battle? It's unfortunate because something like that is a personal deal breaker for me. I think Grandia 1 looks fine and $40 is a fair price for 2 meaty JRPGs, but that flash is the kind of thing that would drive me nuts. If they happen to fix it I'm willing to buy it, but until then it's an easy pass. Was looking forward to playing it this weekend too.

I almost never buy games day 1, and frankly stuff like this is the reason why. It's sad that it's standard policy now to ship games broken and (possibly) fix them down the line. /old-man-yelling-at-clouds.gif

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So this might sound a little anecdotal but as someone that played the PS1 version almost a dozen times and never the Saturn version, this particular sound skip in the museum theme was always there.

I haven't booted my copy of the game up so I don't know if any other tracks have a skip like that. Is there another example in that clip?

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Now this is a localization gold nugget:

The word "Miss" in the German translation of Grandia II wasn't understood as missing or not hitting something but as a form of addressing a woman as young lady.
So "Miss" got translated as "Fräulein".
Fräulein = young lady, Frau = Woman.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So this might sound a little anecdotal but as someone that played the PS1 version almost a dozen times and never the Saturn version, this particular sound skip in the museum theme was always there.

I haven't booted my copy of the game up so I don't know if any other tracks have a skip like that. Is there another example in that clip?

Every track has that.

But I already thought it could have been something from the original, it sounds like something that fits to the technicality of the PS1 version. 😅
Still should have been changed for a remaster.

Oct 26, 2017

The word "Miss" in the German translation of Grandia II wasn't understood as missing or not hitting something but as a form of addressing a woman as young lady.

Ok this is Capcpom RE Mercenaries levels of Google translate bad. That game had enemy waves translated to "Winken" which means "to wave". Imagine my confusion playing through Winken 1 to 10.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
There was a fancy wipe/fade to black, but there was also a bit of loading time.
I'm looking at the PC anniversary edition version on youtube and that seems to not have the fade in effect too, but at least the battles start instantly. The switch version still has a tiny bit of loading before it shows the battle, then does that weird stutter too at the beginning. Just weird that they kept that in the final game.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Lol amazing !
It says Fraulein each time your avoiding ?
That's funny.

I saw at the beginning with French, the trash lid being labeled as Clara's letter.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

This is amusing.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Probably has been answered, and I'm not super familiar with the games but very curious but, why didn't they also include Grandia III?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Probably has been answered, and I'm not super familiar with the games but very curious but, why didn't they also include Grandia III?

Finally, I asked Mr. Minagawa if a Grandia III HD Remaster could be a future possibility. "I cannot say," he replied. "The history with Grandia III is so complicated - who distributed it, who published it, who actually has the rights. If you really want to ask that question, you'd have to go ask Game Arts first." In case you are unaware, Game Arts is the original developer of the Grandia series, as well as Lunar.

Unspoken, but I suspect Grandia 3 not having a particularly passionate fanbase who would be interested hurts too. It's the weakest of the games by far storywise, even if the battle system is great.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit this is amazing.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Alright ERA, will buy at full price to support more PSX HD releases on switch. Hope that Lunar 1 and 2 and the Siukoden series get a facelift too. Its time to remaster and introduce some old JRPGs to this generation

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Oh man this is hilarious.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't switch to German this time, but in the original ps1 german localization "counter" was translated as "Zähler" which means something that counts time not a counter attack 😂😂😂

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Grandia Collection kind of sucks.. aren't there like 4 games. I doubt we will get the rest but the title implies some finality.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Grandia Collection kind of sucks.. aren't there like 4 games. I doubt we will get the rest but the title implies some finality.

Not counting the MMORPG, there are 6 games. The other two have never been localised.

Though 1 & 2 are the important ones from a fan point of view. It's probably not worth the money to port the others.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
The true tragedy about the "filter" is not the sprites or backgrounds, but the portraits....holy shit @ Mullen

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

I hope this never gets patched, lol