• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Sorry to be so negative but I'm so hacked off I feel need to post.

£36.99 is an insulting and absolutely disgusting price point. It's a joke. I am a potential customer, I am the target audience and Nintendo and GungHo, but this has pissed me off beyond salvage.

Absolutely zero incentive to buy this "upgrade" at this disgrace of a price.

I will stick to my PS1 version of Grandia and PC version of Grandia II. Really disappointed and genuinely disgusted.
It's more worth it than tales of vesperia, Which was one 60 game which everyone seemed to be happy with

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is a localization gold nugget:

The word "Miss" in the German translation of Grandia II wasn't understood as missing or not hitting something but as a form of addressing a woman as young lady.
So "Miss" got translated as "Fräulein".
Fräulein = young lady, Frau = Woman.

I can't, I'm in tears, this is one of the greatest errors of all time and I don't mean that in a bad way! :D

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Whatever it is, it ruins the look of the game. Why do devs think stuff like this looks good?

Because it doesn't look bad for everyone?
I totally see what they tried to do here and how they tried to turn the PS1 graphics into HD and mostly it looks great.
They could've used the OG portraits for my taste but I really enjoy the look of everything else and I'm a huge fan of the OG version since my childhood.

You people just don't know what you want sometimes.
On one hand you want pixel clear original graphics, which I appreciate a lot, but on the other hand you all celebrate this new rendering technique for backgrounds and stuff like crazy when they often (not always but often) look like someone really just put an ugly Photoshop filter over them. Sometimes I just don't get you guys. 😅

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
OK the Grandia 2 stuff is amazing.
Only playing 1 for now.
Love the new aspect ratio.
Can deal with the filter, like it actually.
I think if I remember correctly the soundtrack also restarted after fights in the ps1 version.
I just loooove the atmosphere of this game. NPC's have so much text :), the character portraits, oh man I miss games like this.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
They could have redone the sprites in HD but I feel like there would have been too much room for error. They did the right thing imo. I think if there was an option to turn it off I would probably think it's really bad(on a big tv) before I turned in on again

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
What audio issues apply to this port specifically? Is it both games?

What makes the Saturn version better anyway? From what I remember playing the PS1 version , I remember the game having a lot of transparency effects. Didn't those effects have checkered board patterns on the Saturn? Or does the game just run a lot smoother?

Positives

- Little things like Parm's ground texture being a perfectly matched set of city streets instead of a randomized ground texture, more sprites in certain scenes, unique use of Saturn hardware for things like water that people seem to like

- Battle backgrounds are very high resolution to the point that they're easily mistaken for 3D (and were clearly meant to be). The PlayStation features ones that are noticably blurry, even on a tiny Vita screen.

Negatives

- Spells look very rough.

- The game tries to work around the lack of a lighting system for night scenes, but it doesn't always work.

- water appears very flat. The illusion is broken any time you rotate the camera, because it always flows towards the camera. Fixed angles should have been employed.

I think it's a mixed bag, but the Battle backdrops are why I personally seem to prefer the Saturn version.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Not counting the MMORPG, there are 6 games. The other two have never been localised.

Though 1 & 2 are the important ones from a fan point of view. It's probably not worth the money to port the others.
I see, aren't these games apart of Arc the Lad? Excuse my ignorance.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, thanks to this thread I caved...
...and redownloaded the original Grandia on my Vita.

I tried playing the game years ago but honestly bounced off pretty hard. I found the art style garish and the dialog annoying. We'll see if time has changed me to the point where I can enjoy it now.
I am somewhat interested in trying out Grandia II, so if this collection goes on sale at some point I may pick it up.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
They could have redone the sprites in HD but I feel like there would have been too much room for error. They did the right thing imo. I think if there was an option to turn it off I would probably think it's really bad(on a big tv) before I turned in on again

Almost certainly the reason the sprites are this way is because to redo them properly would be more expensive.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So playing on a 55" screen is a little different than the handheld experience, but it's certainly serviceable
The filter on the sprites is what it is
the costs to redraw all the sprites in HD, rerender the battle scenes, make it truer to the Saturn version etc was never going to happen with each game having a retail budget of $20
grandia wasn't a FFVII in sales figures game to command that kind of spend on a HD version
I'll dream of us getting a more Saturn accurate version someday, or full blown remake, but having A LOT of fun for my money here
Will be playing handheld mostly tbh as between fighting for the tv and kicking back on the grind while watching something else handheld suits this game better

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Why especially pro controller though ?
It's just a turn based rpg. Joycons actually could be more comfortable.

Because I like the layout of the Pro Controller over the Joy Cons. So the Pro Controller is more comfortable for me.

What's the issue with music? The only thing thing I know about music issues and Square Enix remasters is music looping back again to the beginning after battles, but wasn't that how the original games behaved as well (both Grandia 1 and 2)?

Edit:
I did notice a strange issue though with Grandia 2, during the first dungeon (Garmia Tower). When going up the stairs, music volume seems to lower for some reason. Then after a battle, volume returns to normal.

As it has been posted already, there is a small hitch of a second where the music will then repeat. For me, it is very noticeable. It happens everywhere, even in battle. I do not remember that in the original Grandia. I mean the music has always repeated itself, but certainly don't remember the small hitch/pause when it starts over.

I would prefer the issue similar with the Final Fantasy games where the music starts over after every combat. At least it continues to play solidly if you are exploring the overworld, or are in combat. It's the small hitch that's kind of getting to me. But it's good to hear that you don't hear it in Grandia II, from what you are saying.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Ooof, $60 in Australia. I expected around that, but still...

That's too much for a download only game for me. I'll wait for a sale or a physical announcement.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

The word "Miss" in the German translation of Grandia II wasn't understood as missing or not hitting something but as a form of addressing a woman as young lady.

LJin0YP.gif

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I understand some folks have issue with the pricing. Issue your complaints towards Gungho. Nintendo had nothing to do with this.

Nintendo doesn't enforce or set pricing which are all entirely up to the developer. (This is even outlined in the Developer portal - https://developer.nintendo.com/faq) The concept of this so called Nintendo Tax is a falsehood and why it's still pushed today is baffling.

Still Grandia 1 itself comes with it's own set of problems with the music hitching. I wonder what people think is a reasonable price for this collection that doesn't undercut the value of porting studio or it being cheaper than the still existing Grandia II Remaster that is still sold for $20 ignoring sales.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I haven't played too much of the game yesterday as it was close to midnight, but does the music loop hitching also happen in the Grandia 2 pc version?

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
As it has been posted already, there is a small hitch of a second where the music will then repeat. For me, it is very noticeable. It happens everywhere, even in battle. I do not remember that in the original Grandia. I mean the music has always repeated itself, but certainly don't remember the small hitch/pause when it starts over.
It worries me a bit that not many people seem to notice it so far, and the devs obviously didn't either. So it means that issue will probably never be patched (if it's even possible with the audio format they're using). Guess we'll have to live with it :/

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
You people just don't know what you want sometimes.
On one hand you want pixel clear original graphics, which I appreciate a lot, but on the other hand you all celebrate this new rendering technique for backgrounds and stuff like crazy when they often (not always but often) look like someone really just put an ugly Photoshop filter over them. Sometimes I just don't get you guys. 😅
I never said that though, so I'm not sure why I'm suddenly representative for everyone?

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I said it before and I'll say it again but man this release is a fucking drag man. Grandma really deserves better. Glad people are enjoying it besides the problems but it should be better

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017

Haha, so good. I don't remember seeing this at the time.
It's like you are apologising when you miss.

Character: *Misses*
Monster:
Character: "M'lady"

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I understand some folks have issue with the pricing. Issue your complaints towards Gungho. Nintendo had nothing to do with this.

Nintendo doesn't enforce or set pricing which are all entirely up to the developer. (This is even outlined in the Developer portal - https://developer.nintendo.com/faq) The concept of this so called Nintendo Tax is a falsehood and why it's still pushed today is baffling.

Still Grandia 1 itself comes with it's own set of problems with the music hitching. I wonder what people think is a reasonable price for this collection that doesn't undercut the value of porting studio or it being cheaper than the still existing Grandia II Remaster that is still sold for $20 ignoring sales.
I mean at least when I've seen the term nintendo tax term used, it hasn't really been used in a way that particularly blames Nintendo for it. It's always been aimed at the publisher who is charging the dearer price(be it for cartridge prices, greed or whatever other reason you want to put here).

At least in the UK, Grandia II Remaster is £15, so I think £30 might have been more acceptable to some here.

Fortunately for me I had coins to use up anyway, so along with the eshop credit sale I ended up only paying £25 or something.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It worries me a bit that not many people seem to notice it so far, and the devs obviously didn't either. So it means that issue will probably never be patched (if it's even possible with the audio format they're using). Guess we'll have to live with it :/

On Gamefaqs there is a post that indicates they are compiling a list of known bugs/glitches and supposedly going to report it to Gung Ho. So hopefully it is something that will be addressed.

There is also something I've noticed. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. But at least the question is with Justin's SP and using his Move. Right now he has 28 SP and I've used V-Slash a number of times, which has an SP cost of 14. But the cost has actually varied. Like one time I had full SP (28) and used V-Slash, and then had 16. Then another time I had 14 (after it correctly subtracted 14 for using V-Slash previously), but when using it a second time, I had 1 SP left. So it apparently only costed me 13 SP, instead.

I have not noticed this with Sue yet with her skills (Moves).

Has anyone else seen this?

Edit: Ok, this has gotten even more strange. The last combat where I only had 1 SP left with Justin, now he has 5 SP left all of a sudden. And now it's happened with Sue. I used her Rah Rah healing ability, which accurately left her with 4 SP left (she has 22 SP) and now after finishing the combat and running around Marna Road, she now has 5 SP.

What is going on?

2nd Edit: Ok, after the recent combat, both of their SP jumped by 5 SP. I am guessing it is part of the game and not a bug. I see they get "+1 SP" but can't tell 'when' they get that or what triggers it.

It's been a LONG time since I've played this game!

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Neither do people blame Nintendo (or most people) nor do they even call it Nintendo Tax, its known as the "switch tax" because sometimes devs make games on the switch specifically more expensive than on other systems for no apparent reason except "hey the switch is hot let's make the best of it". Like you say this is all on the devs (well publishers technically).

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit, this is the most hilarious thing ever!

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's pretty noticeable, been a while since I played the original so wasn't sure if was in that version - you don't have to wait long for the music to loop and hear the glitch - or perhaps people aren't exploring, talking t9 all the npcs and just running for battles or along the next story point?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing Grandia 2 on handheld mode and god daaaamn does the game chug in forest environments. I do not remember this being the case for the Dreamcast version like at all. The battles also get random heavy slow down even if there is one enemy onscreen depending on where the battle is.

Can anyone confirm if the performance is better docked?

If not... I hope this is isolated because man did Grandia 2 deserve better

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
What makes the Saturn version better anyway? From what I remember playing the PS1 version , I remember the game having a lot of transparency effects. Didn't those effects have checkered board patterns on the Saturn? Or does the game just run a lot smoother?

building with shadows affecting player and NPC's although whether it's better.....

EDIT: think I'm going to replay the Saturn ver. and wait a while for price drop on switch

Cjv10Jo.gif

2NiHKe3.png

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
On Gamefaqs there is a post that indicates they are compiling a list of known bugs/glitches and supposedly going to report it to Gung Ho. So hopefully it is something that will be addressed.

There is also something I've noticed. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. But at least the question is with Justin's SP and using his Move. Right now he has 28 SP and I've used V-Slash a number of times, which has an SP cost of 14. But the cost has actually varied. Like one time I had full SP (28) and used V-Slash, and then had 16. Then another time I had 14 (after it correctly subtracted 14 for using V-Slash previously), but when using it a second time, I had 1 SP left. So it apparently only costed me 13 SP, instead.

Edit: Ok, this has gotten even more strange. The last combat where I only had 1 SP left with Justin, now he has 5 SP left all of a sudden. And now it's happened with Sue. I used her Rah Rah healing ability, which accurately left her with 4 SP left (she has 22 SP) and now after finishing the combat and running around Marna Road, she now has 5 SP.

What is going on?

2nd Edit: Ok, after the recent combat, both of their SP jumped by 5 SP. I am guessing it is part of the game and not a bug. I see they get "+1 SP" but can't tell 'when' they get that or what triggers it.

You recover SP by attacking and defending.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from a night away, fire up the Switch and jump on the e-Shop with the intention to purchase the game.

Not at £36. No chance, which is a shame, I was really looking forward to playing them again and supporting the effort in bringing them to the console. Guess i'll wait for a sale.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Swing and a fraulein.

Can a mod make this the OT title please lol

I'm probably gonna buy this at some point as I never got to play Grandia 1 and I haven't played the second one since I was very young and barely remember it. Hopefully they can fix some of the bugs before I get it and maybe I'll get lucky and I'll see a price drop.

40 dollars isn't horrible but it's about 10 dollars to high in my opinion for this level of work.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
You have people in this very thread who either don't care, or somehow manage to like it. That's the reason.

I finally started playing the first title on my Vita. This is a weird game.
I'm not a fan of the look either, but there's no need to act condescending towards people who like the look of filtered sprites.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Hope they fix the music bugs. I wrote to them about it already

What is going on?

It's said in the menu. When you lvl up a weapon you get +1sp.
I mean, it should be that.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
These games are friggin masterpieces. I gotta admit that I really wanted to play grandia 1 before 2 but 2 has got the hooks on me. I should quit and go back to 1 any time now...

I like these games more than any final fantasy.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot how much of a needy little leech Sue is. I'm glad I got to the part where Justin throws her into the sea and the credits roll

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Already have 2 on PC and it seems it will be updated. Will probably wait for 1 on PC in hopes someone will fix it a bit especially the blur filter. Price is okay for what this is. Still playing Fire Emblem so I can wait.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

That's the best translation fuck up ever.

And even I know what Fraulein means lol

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
These games are friggin masterpieces. I gotta admit that I really wanted to play grandia 1 before 2 but 2 has got the hooks on me. I should quit and go back to 1 any time now...

I like these games more than any final fantasy.
Same for me.
Actually there are other RPGs I'd put before FF.

It's crazy how they haven't been more "hyped". It's like "oh hey btw, 2 of the best classic rpgs are coming on the Switch, bye !

Should have been in a N Direct and got a bit more polish as a result if I may say.

Oct 26, 2017
Just started playing, about an hour into the story. There's certainly the feeling of a masterpiece. The writing is good and doesn't take itself too seriously, the characters are fun and there's a sense of great hidden wonders waiting to be found.

The art style: combining 3D environments with a (mostly) free camera with sprites is really charming and endearing, and the sound quality helps a lot with the immersion which is good because sprite movement is a bit jumpy at times.

So far this feels like a classic but unlike any I've played before. It would have been great to have the additional lighting and effects of the Saturn version but as someone playing for the first time the game is still incredibly polished, at least so far.

Grandia seems to definitely be worth $20 and if Grandia 2 is as good this collection is not overpriced for somebody like me who's new to the series.