• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Originally had planned to buy this day one, but knee deep in FE3H right now. Will buy it when it inevitably goes on sale, or one day when I am bored. Too many good games to play on Switch right now

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Depending on when I finish Fire Emblem depends on if I get this tbh. Was very excited for it but I'm still going through Fire Emblem and if I don't finish it soon Astran Chain and Oninaki are about to drop and I'm not the kind of person who keeps a backlog.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I bought this day one because I just have to support classic JRPGs, but I don't have time to play it. By the time I get around to it no doubt it'll have gone on sale. Really dumb of me, but I have to put my money where my mouth is and buy these classic game collections when they come out.

Playing the opening 20 minutes of Grandia looks decent enough in handheld mode, but it bothers me more on my 55 inch TV. I can't report on any bugs because I don't have the time to currently put into it. I wanted better for this port, but it's not a complete travesty like the Mega Man X collection.

Hopefully this sells well enough to see Lunar 1/2 come out on Switch.

Alic

Oct 25, 2017
They should do a remaster of Grandia III where they just delete the last 2/3rds of the game and end the story right when Miranda leaves the party, with a cutscene from her perspective as her dumb kids go off to become world-savers. They could sell it as a Grandia short story.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like III and Xtreme have rights issues with Enix still.

I hope the Lunar games have a clearer path to getting remastered. I guess there might be something with Kadokawa on the 32-bit remakes?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Which strikes me as somewhat weird considering Grandia 2 got published by Enix in Japan as well (the Square Enix logo even gets displayed in the Collection's splash screen).
GameArts selfpublished the Dreamcast original through the ESP group though. I don't think SE has any rights over that game since it was just a port, while they produced and Enix dev staff helped on Xtreme and III.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm playing without upgrading weapons in the first one and I'm having a blast in some battles. It gives a nice peak of difficulty here and there.

Also I can't get enough of those npc dialogs. Feels like /Sora no KisekiTrails in the Sky.
They should do a remaster of Grandia III where they just delete the last 2/3rds of the game and end the story right when Miranda leaves the party, with a cutscene from her perspective as her dumb kids go off to become world-savers. They could sell it as a Grandia short story.
Lol.

I agree to that which is sad.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Same for me.
Actually there are other RPGs I'd put before FF.

It's crazy how they haven't been more "hyped". It's like "oh hey btw, 2 of the best classic rpgs are coming on the Switch, bye !

Should have been in a N Direct and got a bit more polish as a result if I may say.
Exactly my thoughts. These releases are a huge deal for anyone into jrpg's. It's almost like very few people know these games. Or maybe it's because it never came out on a nintendo platform and very few nintendo fans know about these masterpieces

Oct 27, 2017
I'd usually play these games in Japan dub. But if you love Liquid Snake/Cam Clarke then you owe it to yourself to at least play the first hours of Grandia 2 in English. I have so much Nostalgia for him as Ryudo.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Just recently played Grandia II on Steam and would definitely recommend it to anybody into JRPG's. One of the best games I've played so far this year.

Really need to go back to the first game at some point soon.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Make sure to get into conversations with
the townspeople in Grandia 2 because Ryudo is one of videogames' greatest asshole protagonists.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
How is the translation for these games? I'm always wary of 90s era JRPG localizations.
"So bad is good" is how I love to describe Grandia 1's dub, and I love that game to bits. Still very nostalgic for me, though I may try playing certain bits with Japanese VAs to compare.

The game has the hallmarks of 90s translation too (seriously, a "café" that only opens at night that serves "coffee" to adults only? Even my teenage self could figure that out :P) but it's charming when put together with the very earnest story and not really that offputting for modern standards.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Fräulein is nothing.
Apparently (don't have images) they translated "Game over" with "Spiel darüber"? So basically "(the) game over there".
And "health bar" with "Gesundheitsriegel" which means "nutrition bar". Can someone confirm this?

Wtf.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Fräulein is nothing.
Apparently (don't have images) they translated "Game over" with "Spiel darüber"? So basically "(the) game over there".
And "health bar" with "Gesundheitsriegel" which means "nutrition bar". Can someone confirm this?

Wtf.
Lol this sounds hilarious especially as a native German speaker. As I started it, I tested the German text. The selection screen was translated weird as well. I think it was Spielen Grandia 1. The correct translation would be Grandia 1 starten or Grandia 1 spielen.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not that you need it since Grandia 1 is generally on the easy side, but weapon skills that have an element attached to them tend to give a ton of skill XP. A lot of dungeons have a heal/save spot and enemy groups don't seem to regenerate unless you leave the dungeon so it's easy to spam those skills when you're near the restore point for the extra skill XP. Feena & Sue in particular can abuse this since they both get weapon+element skills early on (at least if you give Sue mana eggs).

Also, characters do leave permanently in Grandia 1, but when they leave you get skill books that will transfer over some of their weapon & spell LVs to another character so it's still worthwhile to build even temp characters up.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Didn't Cam Clarke voice Ryudo in Grandia 2? So I think Grandia 1 looks ugly in those screenshots but Grandia 2 looks good. Was Grandia 2 based on the DC or PS2 version?

Oh how I'd love to see Skies of Arcadia be another Dreamcast classic ported across. Always wanted to play it. Shame SEGA will never do it.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Cam Clarke voice Ryudo in Grandia 2? So I think Grandia 1 looks ugly in those screenshots but Grandia 2 looks good. Was Grandia 2 based on the DC or PS2 version?

Oh how I'd love to see Skies of Arcadia be another Dreamcast classic ported across. Always wanted to play it. Shame SEGA will never do it.
Grandia 2 is based on the Dreamcast version. The Steam version is actually compatible with saves from it.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Grandia 2 is based on the Dreamcast version. The Steam version is actually compatible with saves from it.

Great. Just what I wanted to hear. Shame my game time is so stacked with all of the upcoming releases...Fire Emblem is like crack for me right now and Astral Chain is just around the corner (and Bard's Tale 4 and Ninja Saviors and Control and AI: Somnium Files and Dragon Quest XI S and Man of Medan and Catherine: Full Body and LINK'S AWAKENING REMAKE, fuck so many games, so little time). Never played Grandia 2, really want to though. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have time for it...lol

Yes, and Colonel Campbell voices Skye.

Cool. I'm sure there's others in there too haha. Was the same with Sword of the Berserk on Dreamcast, had loads of MGS series VA talent in it (same VA director, I believe). I've actually heard Cam Clarke in a lot of stuff outside of MGS as well though, he's great.

Infamous Hawk

Oct 30, 2017
Cool. I'm sure there's others in there too haha. Was the same with Sword of the Berserk on Dreamcast, had loads of MGS series VA talent in it (same VA director, I believe). I've actually heard Cam Clarke in a lot of stuff outside of MGS as well though, he's great.

Cam Clarke is pretty ubiquitous. I'll always remember him as being whiny Leonardo from the original TMNT cartoon.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm starting to think hard mode in grandia 2 gives you lesser of everything after battle. From experience to gold. I dont remember being able to buy so little after a roadtrip

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Some random reviews are popping up on YT and they're pretty positive. One guy even gave it a 9.5/10.

I made it to the Leck Mines in G1 this morning and it's legit thus far. My only complaint is the same one I had years ago with the camera and how it feels a little off when it zooms in and out.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
How do these 2 games run in docked mode? Are they 720p or higher? How is the frame rate in docked mode? Thank you!

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
How do these 2 games run in docked mode? Are they 720p or higher? How is the frame rate in docked mode? Thank you!
They run well with no framerate drops as far as I can tell. It's actually much imrpoved from the originals that sometimes music doesn't go perfectly with the scenes lol. Don't know what the resolution are either but it's looking as sharp as it can be. There's only slight loading hiccup in grandia 2 when the battle starts which really doesn't bother af all. I think these ports are pretty good apart from small things like the slight hiccup when the music loops again. Something they will hopefully fix with a patch. Also a strange effect with elena's closed eyes in grandia 2. Looks a bit odd

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
They run well with no framerate drops as far as I can tell. It's actually much imrpoved from the originals that sometimes music doesn't go perfectly with the scenes lol. Don't know what the resolution are either but it's looking as sharp as it can be. There's only slight loading hiccup in grandia 2 when the battle starts which really doesn't bother af all. I think these ports are pretty good apart from small things like the slight hiccup when the music loops again. Something they will hopefully fix with a patch. Also a strange effect with elena's closed eyes in grandia 2. Looks a bit odd
Thanks! Will most likely buy it sometime this weekend. Loved Grandia when it came out but never played Grandia 2. Glad to hear it runs well. Thanks again!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on the
steamer to New Parm.
There's something enchanting about this game. The aesthetic and writing are a huge part of it but also the flow is simply superb. Nothing outstays its welcome.

Also I'm astonished by the amount of different character sprites the developers created! The main characters have so many variations!

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I just

lost Sue. About to get on the steamer. Thing is, I had an inventory full of things on her, including a Defense Seed, will I be able to pillage those items before I leave? I had several weapons on her, as well.

I've beaten this game before, a couple of times. But it's been so long since I've played it last. Probably almost 15 years.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I just

lost Sue. About to get on the steamer. Thing is, I had an inventory full of things on her, including a Defense Seed, will I be able to pillage those items before I leave? I had several weapons on her, as well.

I've beaten this game before, a couple of times. But it's been so long since I've played it last. Probably almost 15 years.

when you say lost are you at this point ?

rKVKMXO.png

You'll gain control of her again briefly before she's gone for good

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Some random reviews are popping up on YT and they're pretty positive. One guy even gave it a 9.5/10.

I made it to the Leck Mines in G1 this morning and it's legit thus far. My only complaint is the same one I had years ago with the camera and how it feels a little off when it zooms in and out.

I mean Grandia 1 is a 10/10 game by itself. Depending on how annoying the bugs and issues are, it would make sense. I don't think 2 aged as well but I know a lot of people still love that too.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
I was playing Grandia 2 on handheld mode and god daaaamn does the game chug in forest environments. I do not remember this being the case for the Dreamcast version like at all. The battles also get random heavy slow down even if there is one enemy onscreen depending on where the battle is.

Can anyone confirm if the performance is better docked?

If not... I hope this is isolated because man did Grandia 2 deserve better

Performance is vastly superior in docked mode. It's absolutely shocking how the framerate tanks in handheld mode, within 30 seconds of starting the game no less.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm so torn on this. Part of me really wants it and the other part tells me the ports aren't strong enough to warrant $40.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
when you say lost are you at this point ?

rKVKMXO.png

You'll gain control of her again briefly before she's gone for good

Oh no, I'm nowhere near that far.

I'm still at the beginning of the game. I just finished
Leck Mine and got back to Parm and about to finally head across the sea with the Steamer Pass. I honestly couldn't remember when Sue left, I knew she did at some point. But couldn't recall how long she left right now. But the more I think about it, I believe she stashes away on the boat. lol Although I kind of wanted to clean her inventory out.

One thing I forgot about this game is how quickly your inventory fills up.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku as always with a hot take - oh no I can't take an old fashioned RPG without some cheats and a fast forward button, played the heck out of it today, had a blast - slow cut scenes, random encounters? They haven't a clue do they?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So if I rush and finish my current game and end up picking this up. Assuming I only have time to play 1 of them would you recommend playing 1 or 2? Are they story connected?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Stopped grandia 2 finally. Gonna finish grandia 1 first. So far it's fun as well. A lot more lighthearted intro than grandia 2. Grandia 2 has a very grim start by comparison