• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Wouldn't that be great?

Information
Microsoft has confirmed third party developers can use the Xbox Live SDK on Switch for their own games. Like how Microsoft currently does for Minecraft which requires users to log in to Xbox Live. Grant is speculating that this could lead to more collaboration down the line. Xbox Live (as in the subscription on Xbox One) is not actually coming to Switch. Just the SDK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I had to do a double take reading the thread title and thought Grant was just confused. I don't know how I've not seen any threads about Xbox Live coming to Switch.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people seemingly misunderstood what the XBL SDK opening up to other platforms meant

It doesn't mean what some people think it means (MS-published games on all devices outside of Minecraft), but if we aren't playing a bunch of MS-published games on all devices within the next decade, I'll be surprised.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't take Kirkhope for a platform purist but the real question he should be asking is whether Microsoft and Rare will finally release GoldenEye HD for XONE and Switch.

neither is happening

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is kind of a weird thread because Grant has no more insight on this than a random Era poster.

Also don't really expect why people think this Xbox Live thing will magically make games just work on Switch, but I guess it's a first step if Microsoft ever felt like publishing on other platforms again.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't mean what some people think it means (MS-published games on all devices outside of Minecraft), but if we aren't playing a bunch of MS-published games on all devices within the next decade, I'll be surprised.

I don't see why we would be. PC makes some sense for Microsoft, they have an obvious finger in the pc market they need to maintain with windows. Streaming or outright releasing your first party software on competitors severely lowers the value of your own hardware. While it's not Impossible, e.g. Minecraft, I do doubt any of the first party companies wants to make it the norm.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
One has nothing to do with the other.
Nothing stops MS from releasing those games on Switch....Xbox Live or not.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why we would be. PC makes some sense for Microsoft, they have an obvious finger in the pc market they need to aintain with windows. Streaming or outright releasing your first party software on competitors severely lowers the value of your own hardware. While it's not Impossible, e.g. Minecraft, I do doubt any company wants to make it the norm.

I believe Xbox is fully transitioning to a service provider on all devices and their own games will eventually be a part of that, but we'll see.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
We need it the other way around. Good software company supplying for the good hardware company.

Breath of the Wild on a 1X. Then I can give a shit about this partnership.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
geez. people are really not understanding what a xbox live sdk is.

Its just allowing third party devs to put an optional login for live into their games. Microsoft has allowed this for third party devs on Windows 10 since 2015 (and before that games for windows live) and have had their own first party games use live on non-microsoft devices for years. Microsoft Solitare uses live on iOS, Android and Windows 10. It will allow devs to hook into live to show your xbox live status on other platforms, possible friends list communication, easier cross play for devs (most likely using PlayFab Servers) etc...

I highly doubt Microsoft will develop games natively for Switch or Mobile Phones outside of a few exceptions (Gears Pop, Minecraft etc..). They do want to put their games everywhere via streaming though. Whether Nintendo would allow that, who knows.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Halo is coming to DS!?

Weird of me to to think that Nintendo and Microsoft are bed fellows.

DreamVsPS2

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Dec 24, 2018
He doesn't "hope", he's asking because XBL is coming to switch

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Despite the update in the OP, this probably doesn't need to be a thread due to how the Xbox Live SDK news on Switch has been misinterpreted and led to a few incorrect conclusions based on that.

If there is news about other Xbox Live related services coming to Switch feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.