• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone specify what exactly he means by Ozymandias being an idiot? I can't tell if he means that he sees some obvious plothole in his plan, or that ozymandias himself ignores possible alternatives (which is more of a character flaw to him specifically rather than him being 'dumb'), or something else.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
I'm 47 and English. I grew up with both. For me Watchmen was one of the most important pieces of literature of the 20th century. Arkham Asylum was better, but only because of Dave Mckean's interpretation of Morrison's writing. They argue about writing but the media is visual. Arkham Asylum as a story was nothing that hadn't already been brought up or questioned in the DC universe. Dave McKean made it so much more. Watchmen had the unquestionable professionalism of Dave Gibbons, he drew what he was told, yes it was wonderful but imagine if Gibbons drew Arkham. You cannot seperate artist from writer, both create the story. At the end of the day Neil Gaiman made them both look like noobs because he evolved.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
"The world's smartest man is an idiot. He makes a plan all his life that is undone by the end of the book in an instant. "

that's, kinda, like, the point?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
"The world's smartest man is an idiot. He makes a plan all his life that is undone by the end of the book in an instant. "

that's, kinda, like, the point?
And even if it wasn't, it's not as simple as it looks. If the idiot at the end of the book does decide to publish Rorshoch's journal, it's essentially going to be published in the Watchmen equivalent of Breitbart news, the sort of outlet that today pushes "Hillary ran a child prostitution ring in a pizza shop's basement" sort of conspiracies. The narrative published as is would be viewed as uncredible except to a small amount of nutjobs that want to see Veidt fail. Keep in mind that Rorschoch doesn't actually know any details. They found out that Veidt is at the top of the conspiracy they've been following, but they don't know how or why or even specifically what he did.

All that publishing Rorschoch's journal will amount to is a largely baseless accusation. It's just Rorshoch screaming "HE DID IT, HE'S THE ONE" without anything to back it up.

Nevertheless, one of the major points of the book is that small actions can eventually lead to monumental changes. Doctor Manhattan would have never existed if his father hadn't pushed his son into the nuclear field over watchmaking, Nite Owl II would have never happened the original didn't decide to just put on a suit and fight bad guys. The possibility being presented here isn't a straightfoward "The idiot at the news shop might unravel all of Viedt's plan", but "What possible outcome could come from the idiot at the news shop publishing Rorshoch's journal", and yeah, ONE of those might be Viedt's plan being unraveled, eventually, if the right sort of person believes it, follows the money, comes to the right conclusion, and then is able to prove it to the rest of the world.... but it just wouldn't be so simple as "story published -> Veidt ruined"

So, Rorshoch's journal does represents the possibility of Viedt's actions being futile, but it's not so much a reflection on Veidt being stupid so much that Veidt isn't as infallible as he'd like to be and this possibility, however small it may be, CAN come back to bite him in this chaotic, unpredictable world.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I don't understand all of his criticisms, but I think he's got a point about the criminal psychiatrist thing. Rorschach's would have been a not too out of the ordinary story for a lot of them, I would think.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
And even if it wasn't, it's not as simple as it looks. If the idiot at the end of the book does decide to publish Rorshoch's journal, it's essentially going to be published in the Watchmen equivalent of Breitbart news, the sort of outlet that today pushes "Hillary ran a child prostitution ring in a pizza shop's basement" sort of conspiracies. The narrative published as is would be viewed as uncredible except to a small amount of nutjobs that want to see Veidt fail. Keep in mind that Rorschoch doesn't actually know any details. They found out that Veidt is at the top of the conspiracy they've been following, but they don't know how or why or even specifically what he did.

I dunno if this is coincidence or maybe youve seen it. But a certain hbo series that just started last week takes this idea and runs with it interestingly enough

Also i love some of morrisons works but he can miss me with his watchmen criticism. To this day still one of the best comics ive read. Narrative structure is really dope in it and i love the extremes they take with some of these hero archetypes and the political repercussions of their existence

Edit: didnt look at the time of your post haha

Last edited:

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I still think it's interesting that people hold Watchmen as a sacred work of fiction that nobody should touch. But the creators of the graphic novel both absolutely hated it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I have a love hate relationship with Morrison because of his style.

That quote about Moore trying to outsmart his readers was some grade A projection, I am sure people could see it on the moon.

I've ever enjoyed anything Morrison has done except All-Star Superman and 52.

I don't know if I think it's good or not, but I do enjoy Nameless, his recent-ish cosmic horror comic.

Some really gruesome and fucked up stuff.

Again, it is needlessly obtuse and has a ton of tarot imagery, that he just explains in full text after each chapter in some editions. Like, why even put that shit in there? It's bad writing if you are just going to explain it all in some edition of the book down the road, and turns out it's all superficial BS anyway.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
On one hand, I tried Moore's Lovecraft stuff awhile back, and after all the talk and jokes and memes, there was still. more. rape. On the other, I'm still anxiously anticipating the last League of Extrordinary Gentlemen book out this year.

That said, I love Morrison, will read anything he writes, and will still reread all of Invisibles every few years. Also, still pissed he killed off Aztek.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
On one hand, I tried Moore's Lovecraft stuff awhile back, and after all the talk and jokes and memes, there was still. more. rape. On the other, I'm still anxiously anticipating the last League of Extrordinary Gentlemen book out this year.

Yeah Neonomicon had the most nightmarish rape/abuse scenes I have ever seen, couldn't bother with looking up the rest of his Lovecraft shit because of that.