• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Entertainment, intellectual challenge, and fun?

But that's not what I'm getting at. Of course stories can change us. But the difference I'm getting at is there is a difference between "I am going to try and use a fictional scenerio to explore if there is a philosophical truth to discover and you can decide how your affected with the results" and "I'm here to control your brain as much as I can!!!"

One is art, the other feels close to a sort of quasipropaganda

I've never felt Morrison engages very heavily in propaganda.

I like Watchmen fine but I've never been as high as on it as most everyone else. For my money, Moore's best work is Supreme, Miracleman, and Tom Strong.

Supreme and Tom Strong are both superb comics. I need to read the rest of his ABC stuff.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Moore and Morrison are peas in a pod even if they take shots back and forth and give each other the cold shoulder. Both of them can be incredibly insightful and highbrow while also putting out stomach turning nastiness. If anything they probably don't care for one another because of how much they step on one another's toes.

You're pretty much right on the nose, at least in my opinion. For as much as they try and distance each other sometimes, they can seem very similar.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I somewhat agree with the criticism, although that doesnt sink the work for me. It's more a flaw with the vision as a whole than the execution.

Now give up more dirt on Mr. Millar. That's what I really wanna see.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I somewhat agree with the criticism, although that doesnt sink the work for me. It's more a flaw with the vision as a whole than the execution.

Now give up more dirt on Mr. Millar. That's what I really wanna see.

I read recently that Millar was Morrison's protege and I couldn't believe it. I would love to hear some of his honest thoughts on Millar's work.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Morrison's needs to get over his obsession with Moore already. When he's still writing stuff like Pax Americana that reads like it's meant to be a big "fuck you" to Moore, it's clear Morrison has yet to get over it as much as he claims he has.

Also, Moore was 100% correct about Arkham Asylum.

I like Watchmen fine but I've never been as high as on it as most everyone else. For my money, Moore's best work is Supreme, Miracleman, and Tom Strong.

Agree. Moore's Supreme run is still the best Superman run there never was.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That Supreme run never gets the credit it deserves.
Supreme and Tom Strong are both superb comics. I need to read the rest of his ABC stuff.
Agree. Moore's Supreme run is still the best Superman run there never was.
This Supreme love is great to see! It's always been one of my favorite all-time comic runs but I feel like most have no idea what I'm referring to whenever I'd brought it up in the past, haha. It is a shame that it never got a proper conclusion...I think Moore's final scripts did end up getting drawn and published eventually, but I've never gone back to check them, doesn't seem like it would feel the same.

As for the other ABC stuff, a lot of people love Promethea and Top 10. I didn't. :lol But I did like some of the Tomorrow Stories stuff.

I read recently that Millar was Morrison's protege and I couldn't believe it. I would love to hear some of his honest thoughts on Millar's work.
IIRC, they worked together earlier in Millar's career -- they co-write a brief Flash run together and Morrison gave him the idea for Red Son's ending (unsurprisingly, the best part of that book wasn't even Millar's).

Considering Millar has been writing trash for years, is more interested in creating comics that serve mainly as thinly veiled movie pitches, and seems to be a major egomaniac (his brand is called Millarworld!) I'm not surprised he rubs Morrison, or any writer, the wrong way.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see Chris Claremont air out Frank Miller

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
This Supreme love is great to see! It's always been one of my favorite all-time comic runs but I feel like most have no idea what I'm referring to whenever I'd brought it up in the past, haha. It is a shame that it never got a proper conclusion...I think Moore's final scripts did end up getting drawn and published eventually, but I've never gone back to check them, doesn't seem like it would feel the same.

As for the other ABC stuff, a lot of people love Promethea and Top 10. I didn't. :lol But I did like some of the Tomorrow Stories stuff.

More people associate Supreme with Liefeld than with Moore: you tend to get a different reaction from those folks- lol

Personally, I loved Top 10. As weird as they were, those characters just came alive for me. The genre mash-up that composed the city also had, for me, a great Futurama-as-police-procedural feel.

Promethea didn't grab me. But I was reading it in digital form on my tablet, and I've heard that the visuals really need to be seen in a large format, like the Absolute edition. I may look into the Deluxe edition coming out next year.

Moore is so much more (haha) than Watchmen. It was Miracleman that really made me hunt down his other work. The stuff he did with DC- particularly his Green Lantern work and things like "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is really top-notch. And that Swamp Thing run is still super readable.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
More people associate Supreme with Liefeld than with Moore: you tend to get a different reaction from those folks- lol

Personally, I loved Top 10. As weird as they were, those characters just came alive for me. The genre mash-up that composed the city also had, for me, a great Futurama-as-police-procedural feel.

Promethea didn't grab me. But I was reading it in digital form on my tablet, and I've heard that the visuals really need to be seen in a large format, like the Absolute edition. I may look into the Deluxe edition coming out next year.

Moore is so much more (haha) than Watchmen. It was Miracleman that really made me hunt down his other work. The stuff he did with DC- particularly his Green Lantern work and things like "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is really top-notch. And that Swamp Thing run is still super readable.

There's a collected Alan Moore DC Universe set collecting a lot of his one-offs, worth looking for.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt Morrison engages very heavily in propaganda.
Yeah, and Moore never gets on the page of his comics yelling "Look at me! Look at me!", but you were asking about how art saying something is bad. It isn't, but, nevertheless, art that feels like it has a message it wants to shove down your throat is frustrating to read. I get that more from Morrisons work than I ever did with Moore.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In my school, I was taught in this Scottish Presbyterian way that structure is hidden: you don't see the writer's mechanics. Watchmen, you can't turn the page without him saying "Look at me, look at me, look at me." Okay, we get it, man. You got thrown out of school at 16 for dealing acid, you're clever.
Hahahaha, imagine the balls to write Animal Man and then call out another writer for drawing attention to themselves and acting "clever." I like Grant Morrison's work but come the fuck on.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Im totally with Morrison on this. But even if he was completely wrong, I would still be on his side lol.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I like both Morrison and Moore. Both have done incredible work. Both have done a few misfires.

I like reading about these feuds as its fun and gives some insight into their personalities but I'm not going to invest myself into picking a side. Like many feuds of this nature it drives those involved to try harder, so in the end the fans are the ones that win.

Having said that, gun to the head... probably gotta go with Morrison. He seems more passionate about the comic industry and he seems like a cool guy to hang out with based on that documentary made about him a few years back.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced Moore and Morrison are the same person who alternates between being bald and wearing a spy disguise beard he bought out of the back of an old comic book.

Hahahaha, imagine the balls to write Animal Man and then call out another writer for drawing attention to themselves and acting "clever." I like Grant Morrison's work but come the fuck on.

Considering Morrison's self-medication he may have forgotten he wrote that.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I love them both so much. It doesn't surprise me that they have this long standing feud.

And of COURSE he's a Twin Peaks fan. :D

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
There's a pretty vast difference between Moore and Morrison.

Like, if Morrisonn thinks Moore's writing is trash what exactly does that make his writing?

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I love them both and think their writing in better moments is unparralelled. If pressed I would say I'm a Morrison guy because his work at least recently is much more optimistic. I just prefer that.

21.jpg

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Morrison's needs to get over his obsession with Moore already. When he's still writing stuff like Pax Americana that reads like it's meant to be a big "fuck you" to Moore, it's clear Morrison has yet to get over it as much as he claims he has.
Final Crisis was literally a middle finger to Moore's style of storytelling.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Morrison is speaking off the cuff here, so nobody should respect this bitching as some sort of higher criticism. Even with that in mind I disagree with his points.

Ozymandias being considered "the world's smarted man" is hardly unchallenged by the world of Watchmen and is given that reputation to be knocked down in the end. That's hardly the hubris of the author. It's part of common storytelling. He's defeated by his own self righteousness and a criminal who always dismissed his intelligence. It's used to illustrate major themes of Watchmen.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's been a while since I read it, but a lot of it comes down to personality type from what I remember. The psychiatrist was a positive man who wanted the best for the world. However, he developed that into a sort of fake-friendly personality because it was useful to his career both in terms of PR and having his patients open up to him. The psychiatrist was nevertheless largely concerned with being the one to cure Rorschoch. It wasn't that that desire was inauthentic so much as it was mired by his desire for fame and glory.

So, Rorschoch's story just forced him to reassess. What was truly important to him? What did he truly want to live for? What change did he want to see in the world? Rorschoch's story affected him because it broke down the barriers of the fakeness and forced him to find TRUE meaning. And there isn't necessarily anything that about his backstory that has to MAKE him do this. He followed a different path than Rorschoch because he is a different person, whose lead a different life on thousands of different points and has different goals in life. The psychiatist was probably not bullied the way Rorschoch was, he didn't have a mother the way Rorshoch did, he didn't formulate his way of helping people by beating up others. So, having a thing that divides him from Rorschoch isn't a particularly important aspect to me, because it's really a thousands different things. They're just different people.

What is important is the result in this case is that nihilism isn't an depicted as an inevitability. Rorschoch stared into the void of darkness and decided to lose all sense of self. The Psychiatrist reconstructed himself. The nihilistic part that 'broke' them that Morrison is referring to is, I think, the idea that the void is real. That there is no inherent meaning and both Rorshoch and the Psychiatrist (atleast for a time) accept that as true, and maybe that's what he refers to. But in lieu of meaning, the Psychiatrist decided to make his own, and that itself is a meaningful defiance of the void.

But one other thing I want to address

This is what bothers me the most, I think. That Morrison views storytelling as an inherent tool to shape and manipulate us. And whenever he pulls that shit on me in his own writing, it drives me up the wall. It shouldn't matter whether I became more altruistic or if any other reader did, because the story is being told to the psychiatrist and we're just observing. If anything, the idea that an author is trying to directly change my mindframe comes off as gross to me. I HATE storytelling that specifically tries to make me think a certain way.

I'm not saying that stories shouldn't affect us, but I feel that should be a byproduct of the story being good. For the purposes of telling a story, it doesn't matter how Rorschoch's story affected me, but how it affected the person he's telling it to, which is the psychiatrist, and we see that he becomes more altruistic, which I interpret as meaning that Rorschoch's nihilism isn't the inevitable endpoint, that we always make our own meaning afterwards. But I don't feel that the story is "making" me think that so much as the author is saying how things happened and I'm extrapolating my own meaning from it. I like that. It presets Rorschoch's narrative, and it's convincing, it's pursuasive, but there are clear faultlines that appear as the story goes on, including Rorschoch himself breaking down over the awfulness of Veidt's plan.

But it's entirely up to you to decide how far along the Rorschoch Rabbit hole you want to go.

Morrison believes in the type of magic that wishing it becomes real, so I think to him sharing his ideals through proper storytelling is someone makiong things real in their own way.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"There's a tension between us based on past history, but not… what you say isn't necessarily true, I don't want to say bad things about people like Mark and anyone but yes Kick Ass was made, Wanted was made, there are no other films any more made than say Joe The Barbarian and We3 which are all in the same state of production with directors attached, with screenplays…
"Hollywood doesn't work that way, you can't walk in a room, and he doesn't… you know I live in Hollywood, I live here four months of the year and I can know what goes on, there aren't 200 million dollars films being made, what can I say… I don't really want to say… I don't want to come out against somebody who will see it as an attack, it's all too easy to do.
"Mark has to make a certain smoke screen of himself, to look a certain way you know. Look at sales of Ultimates Comics Ultimates Vs Ultimate Avengers… that's what it's all about right now…
"I wish him well but there's not good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons most of which are he destroyed my faith in human fucking nature."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/29/grant-morrison-on-the-mark-millar-question/

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not to derail the thread, but
amazing

per Wikipedia:
Bradford Wright described Watchmen as "Moore's obituary for the concept of heroes in general and superheroes in particular."[32] Putting the story in a contemporary sociological context, Wright wrote that the characters of Watchmen were Moore's "admonition to those who trusted in 'heroes' and leaders to guard the world's fate". He added that to place faith in such icons was to give up personal responsibility to "the Reagans, Thatchers, and other 'Watchmen' of the world who supposed to 'rescue' us and perhaps lay waste to the planet in the process".[52]

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like both writers, but definitely lean more Morrison.

Of all the back and forth between these two, my favorite was when Grant called out Moores obsession with rape in his books.