• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
gderao5uzm.png

"Lorizzle ipsum bling bling sit amizzle, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nizzle sapien velizzle, bling bling volutpat, suscipit , gravida vel, arcu. Check it out hizzle that's the shizzle. We gonna chung erizzle. Fo izzle dolor fo turpis tempizzle tempor. Gangsta boom shackalack mofo et turpizzle. Sizzle izzle tortor. Pellentesque uhuh ... yih!"

Welcome to ResetEra's official topic for all things graphic design.
Share your own work, share things you're inspired by, ask questions, complain about society's overuse of Helvetica and misuse of Comic Sans. Show your love for typography, hierarchy, and negative space. Get critiques and give critiques.

Feel free to introduce yourself and post your website or portfolio if you would like as well.
Do you do this professionally or just for fun? Are you self-taught or formally trained? Do you do freelance, contract work, or do you work for a studio, agency, non-profit, small business, corporation, or government? What do you specialize in or currently do: web, print, branding, packaging, ui/ux, something else, everything?

A blurb from ResetEra's logo creator about it's process and creation.
So… I made the logo for ResetERA.

The process was really fun and I never did a collaboration work like that via internet with an open chat giving you feedback real time, felt like a design jam.
I was actually at my job juggling a huge client and some deadlines at the same time so i had a really short amout of time to develop anything and the first draft i sent was made in like 10-15 minutes (rough and really out of balance) but i wanted to help anyway everybody was helping rebuild and I know a thing or two about design so why not?

The process was kinda strange, I had no briefing at all and ~24h more or less to come up with something but I had 2 clues that really helped me, the original logo (SNES reset reference) and a previous entry made by another member that was really nice but i had some reservations about it (a stylized R). With those ideas on the table I tried to come up with something along those lines. So, I made a quick brainstorm looking for keywords that could represent the mood for this new community and the result was:

"breaking apart"
"restart"
"fresh start"
"modern"
"clean slate"
"new way".

The next step was looking for some good iconography for the logo mark, that was easy because of the name ResetEra and the previous designs already explored some ideas.
Instead of making another stylized R letter i went for an Arrow (Reset) made from negative space which represents a new modern mindset and starting over, also a nod to gaming (again reset, consoles) aaaand kinda reminds an R too if you really squeeeeeze your brain (i tried to make it look more like and R but no luck with that).

The wordmark was an extension of the idea, using a modern typeface i wanted to make the overall look very clean and straight forward but i also wanted to represent that the new site is breaking up with the past and this is a new era. I found the slice a cool way to show that in a subtle way (not so much visually).
The colors…well that one was easy, anything that don't remind the old site, purple is cool and modern, democratic etc.

Sketch done and sent, honestly, I just wanted to make my contribution and give another perspective to the matter I didn't thought that anybody would even like it…
Then people went crazy (I went crazy) a thousand feedbacks everywhere I took note of every impression and made changes based on those feedbacks, it was fun talking about the details and making live changes with everybody.
Yes, the slice on the first draft was random I just wanted to show the idea in a quick and dirty way lol

Anyway, I'm open for questions about the process!

wigd5gjr4.png

Wikipedia said:
Graphic design is a creative process—most often involving a client and a designer and usually completed in conjunction with producers of form (i.e., printers, signmakers, etc.)—undertaken in order to convey a specific message (or messages) to a targeted audience. The term "graphic design" can also refer to a number of artistic and professional disciplines that focus on visual communication and presentation. The field as a whole is also often referred to as Visual Communication or Communication Design. Various methods are used to create and combine words, symbols, and images to create a visual representation of ideas and messages. A graphic designer may use a combination of typography, visual arts and page layout techniques to produce the final result. Graphic design often refers to both the process (designing) by which the communication is created and the products (designs) which are generated.

Common uses of graphic design include identity (logos and branding), publications (magazines, newspapers, and books), advertisements and product packaging. For example, a product package might include a logo or other artwork, organized text and pure designelements such as shapes and color which unify the piece. Composition is one of the most important features of graphic design, especially when using pre-existing materials or diverse elements.

resdrk6r.png

Associations
Inspiration
Tutorials
Fonts
Free
Paid/Subscription
Font used for headline and subheads: Bangers
Relevant/Related Threads
ruleslwjb5.png

1. Please don't post someone else's work and take credit for it. If you're posting it for inspiration please try to include the original creators name or at the very least where you found it.
  2. Let's try to keep OS talk to a minimum since it doesn't really matter what you used to make something rad.
  3. Have fun, feel excited, and let's keep all critiques constructive.
If there are sites you think are worth including in any of the lists please let me know. Please note that I'm based in the US, so the associations list might lean a little bias in that direction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess there isn't as much interest as I thought there would be on the subject. I wonder if its the title? Not sure how I feel about it myself (I'm not a copywriter LOL), but the 80's are def. making a comeback in design and pop culture. Regardless of what it is hopefully this topic gets a little more traction as time goes on at ResetEra.

Anyways I just wanted to start things off by introducing myself a little bit.

As I disclosed in the Professional background thread I'm currently a freelance graphic designer doing work where I can get it. It's a bit unstable right now so I'm looking for something that is a bit more consistent. I do a bit of everything at the moment: logos, branding, packaging, layout, web, ui/ux, etc. Like many others I started off teaching myself Photoshop and Illustrator on a bootleg copy, fast forward quite a bit of time after that I went back to school to be formally trained in the art of graphic design and learn the basic fundamentals I didn't know about. I gained a lot more than fundamental training and it was an amazing experience. I love every aspect of graphic design. I'm still blown away by what others do in this field; still a n00b at heart I suppose.

Here's one of my projects that holds a special place in my heart.
jamappv6s3i.jpg

And as far as inspiration goes, I'm currently swooning over the work done by DKNG Studios
and Emrich Office

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
Def giving this a watch, but as a beginner who mostly does this for fun, I don't think there's much I can add. Something I want to learn more about though.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I've been "stuck" in a creative director job(doing less actual design work) for a while and feel like im getting rusty. Any good places for inDesign tutorials?

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone should watch the episode about graphic design on the Netflix show Abstract. And the one about illustrations. My tip.

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I had more time to just learn Illustrator more. I dig people illustrating with analogue methods and is not a super fan of the "illustrator look" but would be good to know a bit more.

Here are some stuff I've done in illustrator.

port_Eddie_instagram_500.jpg

port_Easy_Oct_v03-01_500.jpg

port_Kurt_illustrator_PNG_1500_500.jpg

http://cargocollective.com/ryderup/ILLUSTRATIONS-AND-GRAPHICS

I got some more time now and till christmas, so I get I'm gonna get into it more. Do an illustration per week or something. Per days is top optimistic I guess.

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Def giving this a watch, but as a beginner who mostly does this for fun, I don't think there's much I can add. Something I want to learn more about though.
I'm sure you can contribute quite a bit. If anything feel free to post some of your work. All skill levels are welcome.
I've been "stuck" in a creative director job(doing less actual design work) for a while and feel like im getting rusty. Any good places for inDesign tutorials?
How are ya liking being a creative director? I've often considered going that route. Anyways I wish there were more InDesign tutorials myself. The market is flooded with pretty good Photoshop and Illustrator tutorials that are free, but not so much for InDesign. Have you looked into Lynda.com? I've found a few useful ones on there. I know it's a subscription service, but a local library or organization might offer free access.
Everyone should watch the episode about graphic design on the Netflix show Abstract. And the one about illustrations. My tip.
I wish I had more time to just learn Illustrator more. I dig people illustrating with analogue methods and is not a super fan of the "illustrator look" but would be good to know a bit more.

Here are some stuff I've done in illustrator.

http://cargocollective.com/ryderup/ILLUSTRATIONS-AND-GRAPHICS

I got some more time now and till christmas, so I get I'm gonna get into it more. Do an illustration per week or something. Per days is top optimistic I guess.
Abstract was a great show. The graphic design episode with Paula Scher was great, but Christoph Niemann's Illustration episode was hands down my favorite.

Your illustrations look great, I'm not an illustrator nor formally trained in fine art so your stuff is far better than what I can whip up easily. Definitely a lot less traditional than most work done in Ai. DKNG Studios does a lot of work with Illustrator and it's not the typical look that most are accustomed to when it comes to creating with it as well. They offer a few Skillshare courses that I've considered checking out. Might want to take a look yourself if you want to branch away even further from the the vector-ish "Ai look". Pretty sure there's a 40 day free trial that's offered and I don't think those courses take anywhere close to that long.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
How are ya liking being a creative director? I've often considered going that route. Anyways I wish there were more InDesign tutorials myself. The market is flooded with pretty good Photoshop and Illustrator tutorials that are free, but not so much for InDesign. Have you looked into Lynda.com? I've found a few useful ones on there. I know it's a subscription service, but a local library or organization might offer free access.

It hasn't been bad honestly. I just envision myself being a little more hands-on sometimes. I would love to have a small studio where I could do both but I don't want to run the business side. I prefer the convenience of working for a company.

inDesign has always been the neglected child because it focuses so much on print media. It handles a lot of things way better than PS but lacks the flexibility IMO. I thought it would eventually be absorbed into Illustrator but I think Adobe likes keeping the separate products.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished an 18 month contract so I'm back in the pool unfortunately :\

I love Illustrator so much but my personal illustration skills are fairly weak so these are the things I like to do:
finger_small.jpg

vector_heart_small.jpg

Keith_low_polygon_small.jpg

Taako_low_polygon_small.jpg

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, man, those a great. You should definitely look into promoting them on tumblr among the fandom.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

I actually have tried to do that a little bit, but I don't have much connection for broadcasting them.
https://sleepiestwolf.tumblr.com/post/159732687109/so-hey-i-made-a-thing-if-anyone-is-interested-in

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Asukui Those are fantastic. Low poly artwork always catches my eye. Those are done in Illustrator? Noticed that not all the points connect and that the they aren't all straight lines. Which tool do ya tend to use?

Last edited:

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hey DesignEra! Good to see a thread for this. :)

I'm an in-house designer for a fairly large not-for-profit. It's not the most cutting edge design work, but I do enjoy the variety of projects (web-based, print, video, etc.) and security.

Also sharing one of my favorite sites for inspiration: Brand New

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
I bet you could do well turning this into postcard sized prints for conventions. Bookmarks too.

Oooo, that's a good idea. There are a bunch of them here in SoCal too. Something to think about for next summer :)

hpkomic Those are fantastic. Low poly artwork always catches my eye. Those are done in Illustrator? Noticed that not all the points connect and that the they aren't all straight lines. Which tool do ya tend to use?

I think you meant to @ me! The green lines one is how I like to start, and just lay down rough lines in photoshop with a Wacom, then I pull it into Illustrator. That one looks like this right now since he's a WIP:
shiro_progress_lines_small.jpg

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think you meant to @ me! The green lines one is how I like to start, and just lay down rough lines in photoshop with a Wacom, then I pull it into Illustrator. That one looks like this right now since he's a WIP:
shiro_progress_lines_small.jpg
Yes I meant you Asukui, edited my post to reflect that. That's a cool way to approach it and lay out all the shapes quickly. I kind of like how it looks right now without any color filled in.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Watching this. As a currently inactive Graphic Designer at heart (working on Marketing atm), I'd love to share stuff with everyone else here. It's been a few years since I've lifted my pen but here's one of my favorite works (even though it took like 10 minutes on my old tablet).

1506d372367e0f97b3096259a28646ea-d8u848d.png

hpkomic

Oct 30, 2017
California
Watching this. As a currently inactive Graphic Designer at heart (working on Marketing atm), I'd love to share stuff with everyone else here. It's been a few years since I've lifted my pen but here's one of my favorite works (even though it took like 10 minutes on my old tablet).

Good usage of color and even though the silhouettes are mostly dark, they are still quite discernible on top of each other.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I meant you Asukui, edited my post to reflect that. That's a cool way to approach it and lay out all the shapes quickly. I kind of like how it looks right now without any color filled in.

I do too. I end up taking a lot of progress shots because the growth is also very cool to me. I should probably put together a gif of it or something.

Very very cool looking. I love horizon imagery and with the power lines and everything. Love it!

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks y'all!

I just finished an 18 month contract so I'm back in the pool unfortunately :\

I love Illustrator so much but my personal illustration skills are fairly weak so these are the things I like to do:
finger_small.jpg

vector_heart_small.jpg

Keith_low_polygon_small.jpg

Taako_low_polygon_small.jpg

Love your work! What's your workflow? Do you trace over pictures or you start from scratch to vectorize everything?

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
Love your work! What's your workflow? Do you trace over pictures or you start from scratch to vectorize everything?

Thank you!

Yeah I either start with an image, or composite one, and then trace over it for rough lines. Then refine those lines.triangles in Illustrator, then go through and fill them with color. Once everything is blocked in I'll tweak individual triangles to make sure the depth and detail are retained as much as possible. Then for the Voltron ones I take it back into Photoshop to layer the stars and other effects over them. I'll see if I can put a step-by-step together sometime soon, whenever I have some free time.

Really though, thank you guys so much for the interest! It's really nice to discuss this kind of stuff with people who know about it, haha.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hi, I'm a UK magazine designer using Indesign all day long for print and tablet mags and infographics, if anyone's got any questions about it do ask me here or on pm, I'll try to help if I can!

So many beautiful work samples here already, my aren't you all talented :-)

I was wondering if, just as a test project as a community, this thread might occasionally offer to help other communities out with banners for OTs, that kind of thing, what do you think? I know everyone's busy, just thought as a hobby project it could be cool.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to be a part of something like that. I'm already trying to be active in the avatar request thread but that's less design and more straight resizing :p

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, I'm a UK magazine designer using Indesign all day long for print and tablet mags and infographics, if anyone's got any questions about it do ask me here or on pm, I'll try to help if I can!

I was wondering if, just as a test project as a community, this thread might occasionally offer to help other communities out with banners for OTs, that kind of thing, what do you think? I know everyone's busy, just thought as a hobby project it could be cool.

I would love to! I'm a long time member of PlayStation Universe and its forums and we had a Design Squad that did stuff like this. It is very quiet now but back in the forums hayday, it was glorious.

Sign me up!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would love to be a part of something like that. I'm already trying to be active in the avatar request thread but that's less design and more straight resizing :p
Maybe we could treat it like having the thread creator as a client- one of us volunteers as project lead and their point of contact, the rest of us support and chip in roughs and ideas, and the project lead chooses what to present!

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
In other news, I had an interview today that I think went really well at a company I would live to work for! Fingers crossed~
Maybe we could treat it like having the thread creator as a client- one of us volunteers as project lead and their point of contact, the rest of us support and chip in roughs and ideas, and the project lead chooses what to present!

I love that!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In other news, I had an interview today that I think went really well at a company I would live to work for! Fingers crossed~

I love that!
I think it would help keep a project focused and stop anything grinding to a halt, if the volunteer to lead each project has the responsibility to deliver (with as much help as possible from the rest!). If we end up with lots of requests we can take turns to lead according to who is busy and who isn't- as long as it's fun and respectful it could be a really good sounding board to see each other's ideas.

I'll leave it to see what the thread creator thinks.

Well done with the interview, and good luck!

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's a great idea Redcrayon dunno how much I can ultimately contribute because of my schedules, but I'm game for whatever is decided and I'll do what I can. Here's my two cents:

I know a lot of OTs have some amazing designs already. The Marvel Cinematic Universe community's threads come to mind, as does the amazing work Raging Spaniard has done for SoulsEra, the Super Mario Odyssey |OT| that TheMoon did is another fine example. A lot of communities have some amazing designers (whether they actually think they are or not) already. Would be nice to have more of them involved here too LOL.

I also know that there are a lot of communities here that don't have much in regards to design, banners or otherwise. I don't know if it would be best to make this OT the primary place for requests for something like this though since it might end up just becoming flooded with requests and take away from the main topic. However, I don't see anything wrong with starting up a sister thread on the main Etcetera boards saying something along the lines of "Graphic Design Era wants to help another community out with their OT any takers?" and we'll all decide from there what community we go with. And every once in awhile after that we'll mix and repeat with another community.

We can share thoughts, ideas, roughs, tights, comps about the project on this OT to spur more conversation here or to help relegate things a bit better do so via private group conversation/pm with those in the community that want to take part. Not sure what's best in that regard.

I do like the idea of there being a project lead and them being the point of contact. I think we shouldn't set hard deadlines, but an estimated time frame with the ultimate goal of getting the project finished to completion would be ideal, so as not to stress ourselves out for something we are doing for free and in goodwill.

PS: Congrats and good luck Asukui

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's a great idea Redcrayon dunno how much I can ultimately contribute because of my schedules, but I'm game for whatever is decided and I'll do what I can. Here's my two cents:

I know a lot of OTs have some amazing designs already. The Marvel Cinematic Universe community's threads come to mind, as does the amazing work Raging Spaniard has done for SoulsEra, the Super Mario Odyssey |OT| that TheMoon did is another fine example. A lot of communities have some amazing designers (whether they actually think they are or not) already. Would be nice to have more of them involved here too LOL.

I also know that there are a lot of communities here that don't have much in regards to design, banners or otherwise. I don't know if it would be best to make this OT the primary place for requests for something like this though since it might end up just becoming flooded with requests and take away from the main topic. However, I don't see anything wrong with starting up a sister thread on the main Etcetera boards saying something along the lines of "Graphic Design Era wants to help another community out with their OT any takers?" and we'll all decide from there what community we go with. And every once in awhile after that we'll mix and repeat with another community.

We can share thoughts, ideas, roughs, tights, comps about the project on this OT to spur more conversation here or to help relegate things a bit better do so via private group conversation/pm with those in the community that want to take part. Not sure what's best in that regard.

I do like the idea of there being a project lead and them being the point of contact. I think we shouldn't set hard deadlines, but an estimated time frame with the ultimate goal of getting the project finished to completion would be ideal, so as not to stress ourselves out for something we are doing for free and in goodwill.

PS: Congrats and good luck Asukui
Good points, yeah that would be a good way to do it, effectively create a new thread for anyone interested in the project to work in rather than spam up this one and dilute its original purpose.

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Asukui & Redcrayon were you two thinking of something more like the Forum Avatar Request Thread where requests are filled as they come in? Or were you thinking more of a one off project for all of Graphic Design Era to participate, pitch in on, and help another community with their OT? I don't see a problem with going either direction. How do the rest of you here feel Thorzilla TalonJH Spiritual_Chaos ExMachina Kurri hpkomic ?

Hey DesignEra! Good to see a thread for this. :)

I'm an in-house designer for a fairly large not-for-profit. It's not the most cutting edge design work, but I do enjoy the variety of projects (web-based, print, video, etc.) and security.

Also sharing one of my favorite sites for inspiration: Brand New

BTW ExMachina sorry for overlooking your post the other day. Thanks for contributing, never heard of Brand New before. It looks good. I'll add it to the list. I do have a soft spot for non-profits. If not pro bono I tend to give a nice discount when I do work for 'em.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Asukui & Redcrayon were you two thinking of something more like the Forum Avatar Request Thread where requests are filled as they come in? Or were you thinking more of a one off project for all of Graphic Design Era to participate, pitch in on, and help another community with their OT? I don't see a problem with going either direction.
I think either could work, but perhaps we might limit it to one special project to start with and take it slow, the idea was really to think about if posters on GDEra (is that shorthand cool? Looks cool ) here could get something out of the project as well as just knocking out art for the 'client' :D

Then perhaps once we've found a format that works and seems sustainable we can roll it out as an OT thread without driving each other crazy!

That's my tuppence anyway, looking forward to hearing some more thoughts.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
I think either could work, but perhaps we might limit it to one special project to start with and take it slow, the idea was really to think about if posters on GDEra (is that shorthand cool? Looks cool ) here could get something out of the project as well as just knocking out art for the 'client' :D

Then perhaps once we've found a format that works and seems sustainable we can roll it out as an OT thread without driving each other crazy!

That's a good point. I was imagining something like the Avatar Request thread but a slow start to feel it out is probably a better idea. Actually get some kind of process in place before opening the floodgates :)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was just looking at resetera's masthead, I really like it, do we know who designed/drew it?

My favourite bit- I love the way the top arm of the arrow reversed out of the square sits on the x-height of the copy.
My least favourite bit- and this feels pedantic- which feels right in this thread- is that where the t of 'reset' and the e of 'era' are 'sliced', I kinda feel like the cut of the top of the 't' could match that angle considering how well everything else lines up.

I said it felt pedantic :-)

For the timescale they must have worked on I'm really impressed though.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
I think the later part would fit better first to see how we can all work together, then start to transition to a more first-come first-serve workflow.

I would say that we need a design briefing though. Something not too complex, mostly to make sure we have all details before we begin work and as a deterrent for drop-in requests with no feedback whatsoever.

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

GDEra does have a nice ring to it. I like the one off special project route myself to start off with and make a really cool OT with different parts playing to the overall design (banner, headers, subheads, etc.) Would love to hear what everyone else thinks though. It may be a little tough if its just 3 of us working on this project in our spare time.

Although if it's just quick single image top banners with text that wouldn't be hard for most of us here and others throughout ResetEra to whip up as the requests come in. The turn around time in the Avatar Request Thread is pretty quick. You're a beast at production work Asukui I see you churning out requests rather fast in that thread.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the later part would fit better first to see how we can all work together, then start to transition to a more first-come first-serve workflow.

I would say that we need a design briefing though. Something not too complex, mostly to make sure we have all details before we begin work and as a deterrent for drop-in requests with no feedback whatsoever.
Good point. Maybe we could offer a simple briefing template in any 'help thread OT' (even just a short list of questions) to help? Asking for the current draft or a brief summary of any body copy would be good for context, not all of us would be as familiar as the intended community with the subject matter.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
GDEra does have a nice ring to it. I like the one off special project route myself to start off with and make a really cool OT with different parts playing to the overall design (banner, headers, subheads, etc.) Would love to hear what everyone else thinks though. It may be a little tough if its just 3 of us working on this project in our spare time.

Although if it's just quick single image top banners with text that wouldn't be hard for most of us here and others throughout ResetEra to whip up as the requests come in. The turn around time in the Avatar Request Thread is pretty quick. You're a beast at production work Asukui I see you churning out requests rather fast in that thread.
The special test project could be to design the 'design help thread OT'? It does have a certain meta elegance to it...

Also we'd be the only ones to know and (heaven forbid) if we end up canning the project, no harm done!

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is awesome! I am by no means a professional in the graphic design space, but I do dabble in it once in a while for fun. It's a way for me to get my mind off other things and just concentrate on one thing.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Loving this thread, thank you so much for the <3 Im hoping to be more involved here than at the old place so I'll make sure I participate in threads like these and making art for the communities moving forward.

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was just looking at resetera's masthead, I really like it, do we know who designed/drew it?

My favourite bit- I love the way the top arm of the arrow reversed out of the square sits on the x-height of the copy.
My least favourite bit- and this feels pedantic- which feels right in this thread- is that where the t of 'reset' and the e of 'era' are 'sliced', I kinda feel like the cut of the top of the 't' could match that angle considering how well everything else lines up.

I said it felt pedantic :-)

For the timescale they must have worked on I'm really impressed though.
With your use of masthead I definitely know you're in the magazine industry hehe. I feel quite the same about it. Really well done for the short amount of time that was had to create it. The t does feel a little a bit off though. If they extended the ascender a bit more and sheared it at the same angle it would help a bit. The way the terminal of the t is sheared also messes with the way its planted on the baseline optically. I wasn't part of the main discord chat when this place was still just a thought, but I would love to see all the other ideas that were tossed around for the logomark and the designer behind the current one.

The special test project could be to design the 'design help thread OT'? It does have a certain meta elegance to it...

Also we'd be the only ones to know and (heaven forbid) if we end up canning the project, no harm done!
That might be a nice way to approach it at first. Care to spearhead the creation of that OT and whip up a brief for it Redcrayon? Thanks for the compliment btw. Really appreciate it, especially since I've never started up my own thread and managed one before. I was more of a lurker and didn't post all too much previously on the other site.

Welcome Hieberrr would love to see some of your stuff. Having design just be a hobby and a means of escape is a nice position to be in.

And welcome Raging Spaniard glad for you to be a part of GDEra. SoulsEra unite! Hehe Been a fan of your work for some time.

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
Here's something I worked on for my Twitter header
EBkLc7S.png

It's inspired by the Japanese Sonic boxart, particularly Sonic Jam's
5KZzu59.jpg

I def would like to try my hand every now and then. It'd be a good way to practice and improve my skills

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That looks great Kurri it's a nice tribute to the boxart. I'm a big fan of bold vibrant colors that have lots of contrast. It's really big in design right now to have colors that pop. Really appreciate the use of that subtle texture as well.