• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
Helloo all!
I'm a fellow graphic designer as well! I should have checked this thread out a while ago but I'm here now. I recently did a children's book illustration. Have a look
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/29029d_119dec9c050943f1a8f88e97eab5e2a7.pdf
12945303_1499981535.1457.jpg

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you want to show a lot of your UI things, but can't because of NDA's.

Stupid gaming industry.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
thingwwooahh!
That's insanely cool. Thanks
As well as a context-sensitive texture fill, the main thing I use it for is when expanding image areas where there is sky to give space for large headlines- it can give nice gradients too. The trick is that it's looking at what is immediately beside your selected area and then trying to match it. It does have it's limitations and can give some wierd results sometimes if you aren't careful, but it's a much faster solution than the cloning stamp for quick-and-dirty repro work.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
wwooahh!!

That's insanely cool. Thanks
I use it a lot in combination with the healing brush.

Need to scrub a name off of something in a photo? Just select healing brush, set it for 'content aware' and wipe stuff out of existence!

Saves so much time over using the clone stamp or manual corrections.

The 'refine edge' tool was a huge addition too, makes selecting around hair and stuff way easier

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Sorry if I killed the thread, I have a tendency to do that, lol.

These are some good peeps to watch, imo:

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
Phew. I've been busting my ass fine-tuning my portfolio and sending out applications and custom cover letters for the past two months, but it all finally paid off. Landed a pretty decent-paying corporate UI/UX internship for the Summer!

Ah, I recently caught this guy on CharliMarieTV's channel. Definitely gonna give him a follow after this video. Tryna build-up those soft skills, heh.

OP
OP
SP33Dl2acer

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Helloo all!
I'm a fellow graphic designer as well! I should have checked this thread out a while ago but I'm here now. I recently did a children's book illustration. Have a look
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/29029d_119dec9c050943f1a8f88e97eab5e2a7.pdf
12945303_1499981535.1457.jpg
That looks great Zonar !!! I've gotten more in to illustration a lot recently.

Sorry if I killed the thread, I have a tendency to do that, lol.

Gonna have to check out those videos... they look good.

BTW don't think you killed the thread inner-G It's pretty slow going here, so glad it got spotlighted.

Pretty sure a lot of us can't post most of our work due to NDAs and such. I find that to be the case for me at least, so I blame the breath and speed of this thread to that.
I also find it tough to share my own personal projects and site, since a quick reverse image search may guide a potential client or employer to my activity on here, which I'd rather keep a bit more private/low key. I've found collaging a few pieces together circumvents a reverse image search though.

Anyways here are a few illustrations I've done recently. Been really in to isometric perspective lately.
isometricsfbq3j.jpg

vdayoepsj.jpg

And here's some I did during the release of Black Panther.
pantherogqpw.jpg

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
As I said previously in this thread I started doing a local magazine on the side. This isn't my main job and it definitely doesn't pay much of anything but I thought it'd be a good experience and piece to have in my portfolio, so I signed on. I designed the entire look of the magazine, chose colors, fonts (well, the main article font they chose and wouldn't budge). I didn't take the pictures, but definitely decided on their use and did some changes throughout depending on how I needed to use them.

Also, it's hard to share stuff here without basically giving away who I am / where I live so please don't stalk me. Unless you have an amazing job to offer me. Then my PMs are open, lol.

The project started with the logo/masthead. Personally I liked a simpler version of the central OIM logo, but they wanted this. It works in the end.

Some stuff from Issue 1

And from issue 2:

As I said in my last post it's mostly turning into a bit of a timed skills challenge. It's a ton of work and things change at the last minute and counting my hours I'm making far, far less than minimum wage to do it. So I can't really dwell on anything as much as I'd like to. It's like I need to get down my first idea and just go with that. And even if I have a good idea some ads could completely ruin the layout at the last second. I had like two layouts I don't even want to show from the first magazine because of something like that. I mean no one else has a problem with them but I don't like them that much.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Phew. I've been busting my ass fine-tuning my portfolio and sending out applications and custom cover letters for the past two months, but it all finally paid off. Landed a pretty decent-paying corporate UI/UX internship for the Summer!

Ah, I recently caught this guy on CharliMarieTV's channel. Definitely gonna give him a follow after this video. Tryna build-up those soft skills, heh.
Nice to see more ui/ux designers here. Can you pm me your portfolio, I am always curious about other designers.

Rambles

Oct 28, 2017
Oh hi GDEra, had no idea there was a community here.

Been working in the industry for years now, most recently as the Art Director for PlayStation's creative services group back in the UK. Had the opportunity to work on lots of cool things, like the WipEout logo/keyart, PSVR advertising, bunch of other game brands and the launch ad campaign for the PS4 Pro.

Lots of cool things coming up too.

Happy to chat about any of this stuff and anything else we've worked on too - lots of years of branding and advertising up here!

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As I said previously in this thread I started doing a local magazine on the side. This isn't my main job and it definitely doesn't pay much of anything but I thought it'd be a good experience and piece to have in my portfolio, so I signed on. I designed the entire look of the magazine, chose colors, fonts (well, the main article font they chose and wouldn't budge). I didn't take the pictures, but definitely decided on their use and did some changes throughout depending on how I needed to use them.

Also, it's hard to share stuff here without basically giving away who I am / where I live so please don't stalk me. Unless you have an amazing job to offer me. Then my PMs are open, lol.

The project started with the logo/masthead. Personally I liked a simpler version of the central OIM logo, but they wanted this. It works in the end.

Some stuff from Issue 1

And from issue 2:

As I said in my last post it's mostly turning into a bit of a timed skills challenge. It's a ton of work and things change at the last minute and counting my hours I'm making far, far less than minimum wage to do it. So I can't really dwell on anything as much as I'd like to. It's like I need to get down my first idea and just go with that. And even if I have a good idea some ads could completely ruin the layout at the last second. I had like two layouts I don't even want to show from the first magazine because of something like that. I mean no one else has a problem with them but I don't like them that much.
That is such a common occurance for me, having to rework a spread because advertising sold a fractional (quarter page ad or half page etc) at the last minute. They do pay my salary so I don't mind, unless it's been practically given away at a fraction of the rate-card price to hit an arbitrary number on the sales-exec's target. I've had to change colours of an entire illustration before because, by random chance, it blended in with the ad and made it look like the whole piece was advertorial!

GUTS

Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm currently working as an art director/lead game artist in an indie company. I'm having fun working in the game industry so far but right now I'm also looking at new opportunities in other art departments including graphic design.

Now, I don't really have a solid graphic design background and my portfolio doesn't have anything to do with graphic design at all. I'm all for learning new stuff but unfortunately going back to college isn't an option for me :( Any tips for someone like me?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I don't really have a solid graphic design background and my portfolio doesn't have anything to do with graphic design at all. I'm all for learning new stuff but unfortunately going back to college isn't an option for me :( Any tips for someone like me?

Get yourself some good graphic design books. My personal recommendations for an introductory list that covers quite a few of the most important aspects:

The Elements of Graphic Design, Alex White
Designing Brand Identity, Alina Wheeler
The Elements of Typographic Style, Robert Bringhurst
Thinking With Type, Ellen Lupton
Making and Breaking the Grid, Timothy Samara

Build a list of references/inspirational material, places that showcase the kind of graphic design you like and/or want to do. It's important to study other people's work to learn how to see the design concepts and techniques outlined in the theory, internalize those aspects and build a meantal library. Some that I, personally, use:

Mirador
Abduzeedo
Adobe Create
The Dieline
Identity Designed
Fonts In Use
Logo Design Love

And, most important of all, create. Spare some of your time to apply the things you've learned. Create mocks, design logos for companies that don't exist or redesign ones from companies that do exist, make your own fake ads. Design alternate covers for games, help with OT headers and whatnot for the topics here on ERA. Get yourself a behance and/or a dribbble account, get involved with the community - plenty of great criticism and good advice to be had there. Practice, get criticism, improve. Rinse and repeat. All the while you'll be building your own portfolio.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
That is such a common occurance for me, having to rework a spread because advertising sold a fractional (quarter page ad or half page etc) at the last minute. They do pay my salary so I don't mind, unless it's been practically given away at a fraction of the rate-card price to hit an arbitrary number on the sales-exec's target. I've had to change colours of an entire illustration before because, by random chance, it blended in with the ad and made it look like the whole piece was advertorial!

Yeah I know that's the reality in magazines especially but obviously a reality throughout the career. I'm used to it for the most part. It gets a bit harder on a project like this, though. As you said, "they do pay my salary so I don't mind." That's what makes this harder. With this project all told I'm getting less than minimum wage, if that. It's supposed to be a project of passion and something I can put in a portfolio and show off so part of my "salary" is the showpiece itself, so it's even harder when things get ruined or you have to work even more hours (pay per hour goes down as I work more hours on the project).

That same issue makes the ads harder to do, too. I'm partially doing some ads for companies that don't have any to submit. Again, not really being paid for that service, just doing it in hopes of bettering myself and my career. The ads are especially terrible though because you get these people telling you to grab some terrible logo off their Facebook, providing one bad photo and then being extremely particular over how the ad looks. "No, move this to the top left corner, make that one color." It's like man I could understand being particular if you had sent me good assets but clearly you don't actually give a shit about this and what I gave you was pretty good despite that and now it's trash. I'm ashamed to even say I've done any of the ads here. On top of that the magazine wants me to get ads done in an hour because it's a free service to clients at that, but you just can't do jack shit in an hour. So even if I do put in more of my time to make something cool that I can show it gets ruined by some nutcase manager that thinks he knows what design is best. And meanwhile I'm not actually making anything from doing it.

Oh well, that's designer life. I'm working about 60-80 hours per week between this and my real job just trying to get ahead.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Get yourself some good graphic design books. My personal recommendations for an introductory list that covers quite a few of the most important aspects:

The Elements of Graphic Design, Alex White
Designing Brand Identity, Alina Wheeler
The Elements of Typographic Style, Robert Bringhurst
Thinking With Type, Ellen Lupton
Making and Breaking the Grid, Timothy Samara

Build a list of references/inspirational material, places that showcase the kind of graphic design you like and/or want to do. It's important to study other people's work to learn how to see the design concepts and techniques outlined in the theory, internalize those aspects and build a meantal library. Some that I, personally, use:

Mirador
Abduzeedo
Adobe Create
The Dieline
Identity Designed
Fonts In Use
Logo Design Love

And, most important of all, create. Spare some of your time to apply the things you've learned. Create mocks, design logos for companies that don't exist or redesign ones from companies that do exist, make your own fake ads. Design alternate covers for games, help with OT headers and whatnot for the topics here on ERA. Get yourself a behance and/or a dribbble account, get involved with the community - plenty of great criticism and good advice to be had there. Practice, get criticism, improve. Rinse and repeat. All the while you'll be building your own portfolio.
^ Bringhurst's book is the typographic equivalent of the Bible. Amazing and comprehensive book.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone else submit to stock photo sites? I've been thinking about submitting vectors and stuff soon.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, how long was this in the community spotlight. I though this thread was dead. Good to see it.

Anyway, I'm currently working on a project. Some branding for a fake restaurant. A diner in Vermont. Small town Americana. I'm in a sort of rut with this. I've gone through so many iterations of it and I can't seem to dig any of them. I feel like I'm leaning too far into the Vermont theme and not enough into it being a diner. I argue with myself diner logos are outdated, but at the same time there is a certain style about them you still want to recreate because that's the charm of a diner. But at the same time, I want simple and modern.

Here is some of what I've been doing.

c7zbHpi.png

jHvfSFr.png

Keep in mind, I want some of the elements of the logo to play into the overall brand design. The top one I feel won't be good for that. The bottom one I feel will, with the pattern it has that goes along with it. However, there is a local tourist attraction in this area (Broadway at the Beach) with similar zig zag lines in its logo design that seems dated. Part of me kind of wants to scrap all of the outer crap and just leave a simple name and icon.

Critique it. Rip it apart. Do your worst. I must hear opinions. I feel like logo design is one of my weakest areas. Or at the very least, it's a very time consuming process for me that consists of staring at a logo and being unsure of it. Did that for hours straight with little progress made.

Last edited:

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017

The pattern on the bottom holds a lot of visual weight. The contrasting colors and opposing directions of the lines are so intense that I can't appreciate the text or your clever hamburger/mountain illustration without my eye being pulled down toward the pattern. I can understand wanting to use that pattern in the overall branding, but I'd tweak it to be less intense and more harmonious when paired with the circular shape of the overall logo. I also think the mountain theme is more successful in the top composition. It's subtle and adds some nice texture without distorting the shape.

And you haven't missed too much. This thread has only been the community spotlight for a few days lol.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, how long was this in the community spotlight. I though this thread was dead. Good to see it.

Anyway, I'm currently working on a project. Some branding for a fake restaurant. A diner in Vermont. Small town Americana. I'm in a sort of rut with this. I've gone through so many iterations of it and I can't seem to dig any of them. I feel like I'm leaning too far into the Vermont theme and not enough into it being a diner. I argue with myself diner logos are outdated, but at the same time there is a certain style about them you still want to recreate because that's the charm of a diner. But at the same time, I want simple and modern.

Here is some of what I've been doing.

c7zbHpi.png

jHvfSFr.png

Keep in mind, I want some of the elements of the logo to play into the overall brand design. The top one I feel won't be good for that. The bottom one I feel will, with the pattern it has that goes along with it. However, there is a local tourist attraction in this area (Broadway at the Beach) with similar zig zag lines in its logo design that seems dated. Part of me kind of wants to scrap all of the outer crap and just leave a simple name and icon.

Critique it. Rip it apart. Do your worst. I must hear opinions. I feel like logo design is one of my weakest areas. Or at the very least, it's a very time consuming process for me that consists of staring at a logo and being unsure of it. Did that for hours straight with little progress made.

I think my issue with that logo in particular is that it's both complex (a lot going on) and not integrated. You have a few interesting ideas but they don't feel like they're really meshing together as one.

Being complex is fine, but I think things have to really integrate if you're going to throw a lot of things into it.

Last edited:

Seven

Oct 25, 2017
Austin
Keep in mind, I want some of the elements of the logo to play into the overall brand design.

Don't worry about this too much. The logo will naturally play into the overall brand. A logo is never seen on it's own, but in the context of other elements (signage, menus, etc.). If you try to force certain ideas or brand elements into a logo, then what you get is something confusing and messy when it's surrounded by those same elements. You can let the logo be simpler and stand on it's own, and let a lot ore of the personality, patterns, colors, etc. play around it when it's on a touch point.

Instead, what you can focus on is making sure those elements fit or clash when appropriate. So for example, maybe the line thickness of the logo matches the line thickness of the pattern--or maybe it very much doesn't, and is much heavier so the logo stands out more. Those are the sort of considerations you can worry about when applying a logo in context to it's brand--but you don't have to make sure certain specific design elements are directly referenced in a mark.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the feedback and words of wisdom, guys. I really needed it. Good points as well pointing out my obsession with forcing these patterns onto the logo. I will adjust my process when approaching the rest of the brand accordingly.

The second logo was one of the first iterations of it where I was really doubling down on the mountain theme. The first one is its current form.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow! Didn't realize this community existed on ERA.

Hoping motion design qualifies in here too--that's more my side of things. Been doing it since I was 17--mostly on the TV side, now dabbling in digital media.

I get flak sometimes for my background in TV from digital folks because...well, my path in TV focused more on function than form, and the deadlines are far more demanding. Until very recently, I doubt any of us would say TV design has been super clean and stylish. I was able to rise as far as I have because my work was quick, economical, and accurate. My education was more in journalism than graphic design, and my work sometimes reflects the need to convey information more than being stylish.

Do my digital colleagues have a point?

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow! Didn't realize this community existed on ERA.

Hoping motion design qualifies in here too--that's more my side of things. Been doing it since I was 17--mostly on the TV side, now dabbling in digital media.

I get flak sometimes for my background in TV from digital folks because...well, my path in TV focused more on function than form, and the deadlines are far more demanding. Until very recently, I doubt any of us would say TV design has been super clean and stylish. I was able to rise as far as I have because my work was quick, economical, and accurate. My education was more in journalism than graphic design, and my work sometimes reflects the need to convey information more than being stylish.

Do my digital colleagues have a point?
Depends on the context. What are the TV designs you worked on ?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Man this issue of the magazine I'm doing is fucking killing me. The ads are coming in so late and information I need was sparse. We're doing a massive restaurant guide for the city so it's something new and out of the box for a normal magazine (even though we've only had 2 previously). I'm fucking exhausted but I think I got it. Just sent off a first draft to the editor and ad guy. Just a few more tweaks and corrections and we'll only be a day or so late for our print deadline. That'd despite getting ads literally a week after our ad-in-hand date.

I've seriously done 90 hours of work this week between my two jobs. Exhaustion I think at least helps me concentrate sometimes. Yesterday I was really in the zone all day.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I'm attempting more minimalist logo design with a focus on gestalt. This is not easy lol. Still a noob at this and trying ideas out at the moment, focusing on aesthetic deliciousness, but don't know that I have a consistent design philosophy yet. Kinda still in the process of figuring out what works or not. Crits/feedback welcome.

mi4bwLr.jpg

Whenever a client wants to collab I try to make the deliverable a large booklet with at least 6-9 logos. Then feature each "chapter" as a few pages of variations on each.

Some retrowave logos:

4byxmVK.jpg

SRsm.jpg

12465929_10153847295485816_5281330253891927724_o.jpg

Poster I made in 2013:

9zRkunn.jpg

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm trying out more minimalist logo design with a focus on gestalt. This is not easy lol. I feel like a noob at this since I don't have a thought-out design philosophy, just kinda judge things aesthetically, so any crits/feedback would be welcome.

mi4bwLr.jpg

Whenever a client seeks me out I try to make the deliverable a large booklet with at least 6-9 logos. Then feature each "chapter" as a few pages of variations on each.

Also get some requests to do synthwave logos and album covers:

4byxmVK.jpg

SRsm.jpg

12465929_10153847295485816_5281330253891927724_o.jpg

Poster I made in 2013:

9zRkunn.jpg

Daaang, great very graphic approaches (you're defiinitely nailing the complicated stuff, a bit more work and I think you'll really hit that minimalism style).

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Daaang, great very graphic approaches (you're defiinitely nailing the complicated stuff, a bit more work and I think you'll really hit that minimalism style).

Thanks! Minimalist logos DO seem uncomplicated at first, especially the way I've been making them recently. And then you see stuff like this lol:

NOcmYhw.png

8nyq4O6.png

md55vja.png

I'm still painting everything out via photoshop and tweaking in illustrator right now, but this seems to be what is required to reach that next level of this style of logos lol.

Last edited:

Sour

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any suggestions on physical portfolios when the majority of work in digital based? By digital I mean; Maya Renders, After Effects Animations, VR work?

I'm graduating this year and as well as working on my portfolio site, I need to submit a physical portfolio. I've been trying to think of the most appropriate way to show my work in a physical format.

I had the idea of a small A5 pack of selected A5 postcards of my work, an introduction and maybe a custom USB for digital work. But then I'm worried nobody will want to plug in a random USB?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Opened up my email to see 20+ changes on a proof

Yay, Monday! -_-

Oh man, that's always fun. I'm currently waiting on the changes for the first proof of this issue of a magazine. Most of the time the changes aren't too bad, but sometimes a small sentence change can fuck up an entire spread. We'll see!

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Whenever a client wants to collab I try to make the deliverable a large booklet with at least 6-9 logos. Then feature each "chapter" as a few pages of variations on each.

Seems like a huge amount of work for no benefit, unless the client has requested that number of variations. It's just a bombardment at those levels and may suggest a lack of confidence in your ideas.

When I present logos I tend offer the 1 - 3 ideas I think work best from my entire process, even if I created 20+ designs. No variations. Mockups of how the logo works in different situations to give a suggestion of a brand identity.

I'd also never just hand over logo designs. Face to face or screen sharing meeting to explain ideas is essential.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How long is it to get back into the game ? It's been 7 years since i've really done anything real graphic design. I still touch photoshop from time to time but it's been so long that I fear i have lost everything I have learned in school

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a huge amount of work for no benefit, unless the client has requested that number of variations. It's just a bombardment at those levels and may suggest a lack of confidence in your ideas.

When I present logos I tend offer the 1 - 3 ideas I think work best from my entire process, even if I created 20+ designs. No variations. Mockups of how the logo works in different situations to give a suggestion of a brand identity.

I'd also never just hand over logo designs. Face to face or screen sharing meeting to explain ideas is essential.

It's usually like a three or four day process for me done in spare time, plus the time for the booklet to be printed. Sometimes a bit more or less. In intro to design class it was encouraged to make stuff like this and I've been doing it since. I choose the best thumbnails to clean up and present like the final product, and offer variations on those in regards to color palette, fx, and design choices. If one of them is selected, than final tweaks are made (hopefully eventually the process I showed in my previous post). Thinking of all the different directions to go in with an idea is overwhelming. All the ways to style on one motif. The way if you feel particularly inspired at the time and come up with lots of stuff it makes you feel like "which one do I want?" heh. Feeling like you're at a party with tons of catering from your favorite restaurants, etc.

It's not necessary or anything. A bit rigorous, but if you present a physical product to a client I find in addition to showing design skills, it might tell them you're capable of making a polished final product and you can workhorse if you need to to make deadlines. Contacting the potential employer first, talking a few concepts with them, and building off of those ideas maybe when making the deliverable to be presented in a few days.

Yeah, giving a quick presentation of the thought process is of course part of it sometimes. For me, I get more work done and save more time by showing as many options as I can via these things. After getting hired it's often better of course to just make thumbnails first instead of all that. Just a gift/resume thing I like to put together sometimes to potentially start things off on an extra positive note.

Last edited:

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK

I see, it's an interesting idea! I haven't done anything like that for a decade. I assumed you were talking about actual work, not pitching, which I don't really do any more.

Would like to see a PDF of a full booklet sometime. Always interested in new approaches.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I see, it's an interesting idea! I haven't done anything like that for a decade. I assumed you were talking about actual work, not pitching, which I don't really do any more.

Would like to see a PDF of a full booklet sometime. Always interested in new approaches.

Maybe it's overkill and unnecessary, but they result in some current gigs to pay bills and if nothing else are fun to make when possible. Anywho, tbh it's quite clear my true talent is writing, but for whatever reason haven't found as much success in that yet, so for now, visual stuff.

Last edited:

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Maybe it's overkill and unnecessary, but they result in some current gigs to pay bills and if nothing else are fun to make when possible. Anywho, tbh it's quite clear my true talent is writing, but for whatever reason haven't found as much success in that yet, so for now, visual stuff.

Paying the bills is what it's all about in the end. I wish you every success in your writing, hope it works out for you. I'm jealous that you have another strong string to your bow - if being a designer became financially unsuccessful for me I'm not sure what I'd do. I have fine art skills too (I do a lot of oil painting and sculpting) but you have to be so fortunate to really make it in that career path. I'd probably end up retraining as a web developer or something.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Almost at my breaking point for a freelance project I'm working on. Formatting a medical text book for a board of doctors, and we're wrapping up the ToC. I've formatted a whopping 187 chapters of this book, and we've proofed and revised each and every one. Originally they did not want page numbers on the first page of the chapter (insisted) so I didn't do it. Now they want the page numbers, and forward me revisions for the ToC with almost 300 comments. All minor errors, spelling mistakes, etc, that should have been caught in editing long before they came across my screen.

Man, sometimes freelance work can be absolutely infuriating, because I don't feel like I have much wiggle room to really speak my mind and prevent things like this. I really want to get into Freelance work exclusively, but this makes me reconsider.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Originally they did not want page numbers on the first page of the chapter (insisted) so I didn't do it. Now they want the page numbers, and forward me revisions for the ToC with almost 300 comments. All minor errors, spelling mistakes, etc, that should have been caught in editing long before they came across my screen.

Whenever I do freelance work (not as often anymore), I put it pretty clearly that they have 2 rounds of free revisions and from then on it is all paid by the hour at a fixed (and double my usual) rate, in the contract.

Once I started doing that, things got much better. People start thinking about whether they really want to change something and/or all the changes they want to make at once.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Almost at my breaking point for a freelance project I'm working on. Formatting a medical text book for a board of doctors, and we're wrapping up the ToC. I've formatted a whopping 187 chapters of this book, and we've proofed and revised each and every one. Originally they did not want page numbers on the first page of the chapter (insisted) so I didn't do it. Now they want the page numbers, and forward me revisions for the ToC with almost 300 comments. All minor errors, spelling mistakes, etc, that should have been caught in editing long before they came across my screen.

Man, sometimes freelance work can be absolutely infuriating, because I don't feel like I have much wiggle room to really speak my mind and prevent things like this. I really want to get into Freelance work exclusively, but this makes me reconsider.

I don't even know how to begin to quote someone when they ask "How much will X project be?"

It's like... well that depends. How good do you want it to be and how much are you going to micromanage and change things over and over gain?

I think what I've done and heard about freelancing has left me permanently scarred on that part of the profession. My first real world experience with freelancing was when I was still in college and it was pure stupidity. It was for a fine artist that did some pretty interesting paintings. But she was kind of nuts. Well, more than kind of. I tried being really straightforward with her about my time and what I could and couldn't do and pretty much everything on the project. She was hiring a student, after all. I had classes and obligations. But with the project itself, too, I went over everything clearly but she just couldn't grasp some things.

We were working on a book to showcase her art and one thing I had talked to her about was the margins. We didn't want paintings too close or they'd be affected by the middle. So we moved them outward in the spreads and found a good compromise on what she wanted, which was further in and what I advised which was outward a bit. I'm not even sure why she wanted it. Anyway, I thought we had the book done and she calls me up one night saying that someone basically trashed her artist statement and all this and she rewrote the whole fucking thing and still wanted it done by a day or two later. I tell her I can do that but instead of being able to get to her earlier I need time to work on things and then I can just drop off the disk at some point before heading to my class. She was really angry at this for some reason. So eventually I get the work done and give her the time she wants (skipping class and other obligations). I tell her when I'll be there and she's not even there when I drop it off. I was pretty angry, but whatever she's gonna pay me a bunch for this.

So at that point she basically ghosts me for weeks and I'm wondering what the fuck is happening. Finally I get a hold of her because I want my damned money for the finished work I gave her. She starts going off about how I couldn't make time for her (I did) and that the margins weren't right (they were exactly as we discussed) and then hilariously enough she was angry that the disc for her wasn't printer's spreads. I'm not even sure why. I gave her one disc and had another for the printer. It wasn't even something she asked, but she just wasn't understanding. Finally, she agrees to pay me but I gotta come get it from her. I go to her studio and she fucking forces me to sign this thing saying I cannot use any work for her (which was quite a bit at the time) in any portfolio or any way at all (something she absolutely said she would allow beforehand) and that I should delete all my files, etc. Basically had to sign this or I wouldn't get my money.

It was the dumbest situation ever. What makes it worse is that I basically didn't look for much more during that time period working for her, like internship or anything because she was taking up a lot of time and that would be good work experience. Then she pulls the crazy act and suddenly I can't use her on any resume or the work in a portfolio. It honestly set me back a year or two (along with the crash in the economy).