• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I go to her studio and she fucking forces me to sign this thing saying I cannot use any work for her (which was quite a bit at the time) in any portfolio or any way at all (something she absolutely said she would allow beforehand) and that I should delete all my files, etc. Basically had to sign this or I wouldn't get my money.

It was the dumbest situation ever. What makes it worse is that I basically didn't look for much more during that time period working for her, like internship or anything because she was taking up a lot of time and that would be good work experience. Then she pulls the crazy act and suddenly I can't use her on any resume or the work in a portfolio. It honestly set me back a year or two (along with the crash in the economy).

In my country that would be unenforceable - proof of work is protected under Fair Use and (as part of the moral rights to your work) can't be waived, here. That said, never, never work without a written contract.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
In my country that would be unenforceable - proof of work is protected under Fair Use and (as part of the moral rights to your work) can't be waived, here. That said, never, never work without a written contract.

Enforceable or not wasn't really the worry. Even with a contract it would have been fucked up. If I used her work on a resume someone might presumably contact her, which would be something I did not want. It would always be risky.

And yeah, I was a young kid that didn't know much so I definitely wasn't giving some old lady a contract to sign.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but on old forum, there was a thread to hire artists to do art work...can someone direct me to that thread, or is this it?

Ive been toying around with a card game idea that I want to put on Kickstarter. Id like someone to design some card art/logos. Nothing right away, as Im still trying to think of some things

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Paying the bills is what it's all about in the end. I wish you every success in your writing, hope it works out for you. I'm jealous that you have another strong string to your bow - if being a designer became financially unsuccessful for me I'm not sure what I'd do. I have fine art skills too (I do a lot of oil painting and sculpting) but you have to be so fortunate to really make it in that career path. I'd probably end up retraining as a web developer or something.

Nah, it was a joke, the ol' writing skills are pretty bad, especially flow and remembering GSP, hence the 40 edits per post haha.

It's always a good thing to have fine art skills, as fine art tends to inspire the best digital paintings/design. Your digital work is probably decent at the very least due to learning IRL painting and sculpting.

Web development is still a rad gig, d00d. Don't know much about it, not sure how much coding may or may not still be involved now but using web builders like squarespace can be a fun process that's similar to/involves lots of graphic design sensibilities, so if nothing else seems like that would still be a fun and creatively rewarding way to earn a living.

Any advice on the best way to go about putting a contract together for freelance work? I tend to do things via upwork. Does that serve the same purpose as a contract, or no?

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, gang. I adjusted the previous logo I did and got rid of a number of useless or poorly done elements (I ultimately did not like the cheeseburger logo mark). So I cut it all out and simplified. This is what I came up with:

Y2qjQPe.png

I feel like this version actually alludes to the name itself as well. Only possible gripe I have is that is might be too tall. May take the mountain down by one or two segments.

Feel free to critique this one as well.

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Nah, it was a joke, the ol' writing skills are pretty bad, especially flow and remembering GSP, hence the 40 edits per post haha.

Web development is still a rad gig. Don't know much about it, not sure how much coding may or may not still be involved now but using web builders like squarespace can be a fun process that's similar to/involves lots of graphic design sensibilities, so if nothing else seems like that would still be a fun and creatively rewarding way to earn a living.

Ah, fair enough. A lot of the freelancers I know have strong writing skills too as they end up being asked to do initial copywriting and proofreading - for a couple of my regular clients writing takes up about 1/2 my time!

I prefer logo which have a strong silhouette, so I'd suggest thinking about either following through on a triangular shape or finding a way to turn it into a psuedo diamond or teardrop shape. I'd also take a look at your text size, 'the' and 'diner' are going to be impossible to read at small sizes. Very quick mockup ...

264om5j.jpg

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, gang. I adjusted the previous logo I did and got rid of a number of useless or poorly done elements (I ultimately did not like the cheeseburger logo mark). So I cut it all out and simplified. This is what I came up with:

Y2qjQPe.png

I feel like this version actually alludes to the name itself as well. Only possible gripe I have is that is might be too tall. May take the mountain down by one or two segments.

I dig the gestalt of the pathway/how it frames the copy! I think I agree with you and sWos that the "Diner" could be bigger and the path part of the logo could use a bit of design by subtraction.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Any advice on the best way to go about putting a contract together for freelance work? I tend to do things via upwork. Does that serve the same purpose as a contract, or no?

The best way to put together a contract will, obviously, depend on where you are, since laws can vary wildly. If you're in the States, though, the AIGA has a pretty good guide with an extensive explainer on several concepts and terms of a normal contract, and provides you with a model and several modules that can be added to it (like usage rights, etc). Some clauses to pay specific attention to, IMO, are portfolio usage, rights to unused sketches (i.e you retain rights to any non-final work that can be repurposed), early termination clauses, and dispute resolution clauses if you work for people in other states and/or countries. It's always a good idea to run your contract template through your lawyer to make sure it is safe and sound.

I haven't really used upwork, but from a quick look on the website, it seems they have a system in place for dispute resolution.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm working on an illustration of Vikings holding up jars of Beer like a toast.

I first did a (quick) splashy version, but got the feedback that it looked more like fire than the splash of beer foam.

jar_splash.jpg

And the characters doesn't really have the energy for a splash, so I did something more still. But it looks more like popcorn than foam. Or what do you think? Does it look like foam at a first glance? If not, any ideas on how I can make it look better?

Screen_Shot_2018_04_25_at_00_36_53.png

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
The grueling spring semester is finally over, meaning I can finally design for fun again.

I'm re-designing a music site assignment I made last fall. Currently in wireframing stage for the mobile version. Figured I'd share just to get my ideas out there and see if you guys had any feedback:

(Warning: it's long)

All of the shapes and shadows in the foam look pretty sharply defined. I feel like it might read better as foam if you dial back on lighting every little lump and put more emphasis on the idea of the foam as a single mass.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Y2qjQPe.png

Have you tried having 'the' and 'diner' slightly bigger, and looked at it in various sizes? I'd try having 'the' at the total width of the 'U' beneath it, and 'diner' at the width of the 'A' and 'Y' above combined (both smaller words same type size still though). You could tighten the space between the letters of 'runaway' a bit to help and add a bit of kerning on the other two words, as the smaller type is far more compressed at the moment, I think it might look more elegant with similar spacing. Agree with thoughts above about removing one of the black lines too.

Also the spacing between letters in 'The' isn't even, needs a touch more between 't' and 'h' maybe.

This is gonna sound real nerdy but what I like about the logo is the downwards cut into the 'U' is the same rounded end as the black lines. I like that, it makes me happy as a designer :D

I've spent the day reworking the indesign templates for the print and digital (android/phone/iOS) editions of my magazine. I like a nice afternoon setting up and tweaking nested paragraph styles and automating as much as possible, there's a real typographic beauty in it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
All of the shapes and shadows in the foam look pretty sharply defined. I feel like it might read better as foam if you dial back on lighting every little lump and put more emphasis on the idea of the foam as a single mass.

Yeah I realised (doing it in the middle of teh night) that I had been thinking "cartoon foam" and sort of 3D:ing it.

Does this look better?

30776504_10156320429109289_1457339112_n.png

Oct 26, 2017
As I said previously in this thread I started doing a local magazine on the side. This isn't my main job and it definitely doesn't pay much of anything but I thought it'd be a good experience and piece to have in my portfolio, so I signed on. I designed the entire look of the magazine, chose colors, fonts (well, the main article font they chose and wouldn't budge). I didn't take the pictures, but definitely decided on their use and did some changes throughout depending on how I needed to use them.

Also, it's hard to share stuff here without basically giving away who I am / where I live so please don't stalk me. Unless you have an amazing job to offer me. Then my PMs are open, lol.

The project started with the logo/masthead. Personally I liked a simpler version of the central OIM logo, but they wanted this. It works in the end.

Some stuff from Issue 1

And from issue 2:

As I said in my last post it's mostly turning into a bit of a timed skills challenge. It's a ton of work and things change at the last minute and counting my hours I'm making far, far less than minimum wage to do it. So I can't really dwell on anything as much as I'd like to. It's like I need to get down my first idea and just go with that. And even if I have a good idea some ads could completely ruin the layout at the last second. I had like two layouts I don't even want to show from the first magazine because of something like that. I mean no one else has a problem with them but I don't like them that much.

That looks great.

I'm doing some PDF "guides" at my job, and I don't know how to make them exciting. Laying out "magazines" and stuff makes my head hurt of all the rules and template you need to decide on and adhere too. I like structure and stuff so it's fun, but I don't really know how to think at the same time. Maybe I should read up on it a bit, and not just dive into it like I have.

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to put a texture on and bind it to a line or shape in Indesign? I have a line which I want a texture/image on, but maybe I have to go through PS or Illustrator? Feels stupid to have one line pasted from those apps, with all the other (being clean from the texture) being done in Indesign.

But maybe you can put a texture on it directly in Indesign?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is it possible to put a texture on and bind it to a line or shape in Indesign? I have a line which I want a texture/image on, but maybe I have to go through PS or Illustrator? Feels stupid to have one line pasted from those apps, with all the other (being clean from the texture) being done in Indesign.

But maybe you can put a texture on it directly in Indesign?
Could you save the texture as a long image file, (you can just paste it from illustrator to photoshop if needed) then instead of drawing a line, just use a very long, thin image box as the same height as the other other lines?

E.g. if your lines are 5mm high and 210mm long, both the image file and the image box are also those dimensions.

If it's a shape that isn't a strict horizontal rule, almost anything can be an image box, use object/content/graphic to change any frame into an image box. You can create custom ones with the pen, or import vector shapes from illustrator and use them.

If that isn't an option, could you show an example of what you are trying to do? I can probably work it out, I use Indesign all day every day.

Last edited:

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
In the year 2000 (18 years ago) I used Corel Painter. I love the way my Wacom tablet felt like a real pencil when using that program. Is there any set of parameters that I can adjust to make Photoshop feel like a pencil. No matter how hard I try it still doesn't feel the same. I have a Wacom tablet and if anybody can help me with a YouTube video or a tutorial I would be very much appreciative. Thanks

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
Have any of you guys needed to "recover" from a shitty client before? If so, how'd you do it?

Story Time:

My boss at my current job (I'm not specifically a designer; I just happen to do design work for them) is something of a client from a hell. She: requests constant minor revisions, never provides finalized copy from the outset of a project (and once the copy is decided upon, she continues to make numerous alterations), never sets aside adequate time to plan out or complete projects, meaning that I'm always firing in the dark for the beginning phase of each project, and each project is being started days, sometimes hours, before the finalized product is needed. She has resisted all attempts to incorporate logic, order, and structure into the design process. And on top of all that, she just has really, really bad taste in design (I'm talking excessive drop shadows, Photoshop effects, and clip art) and will viciously tear apart any design until it adheres to that specific taste.

I originally saw this as an opportunity: if I could conquer her as a client, then no one would be able to stop me! But as the years passed, I accepted that my efforts were futile to begin with. She didn't want a designer; she wanted a Photoshop robot. Getting her to compromise was never on the table. That's fine, though, because my last day at that job will arrive in about a month.

What's not fine, however, is that I feel like working with her has totally crushed my confidence as a designer. This was my supposed to be my first real experience working with a client, but it was an unmitigated disaster. I learned valuable lessons about making succinct pitches and setting boundaries, but when it comes to things like understanding and responding to client needs, presenting work, working within brand guidelines, and establishing healthy communication, I feel like I've gained little to nothing. And, honestly, the experience has left me feeling insecure and hesitant to pursue real client work. I continue to fill my days with classwork and side projects rather than seek out paid work that I would be qualified for.

So yeah, if any of you have dealt with similar feelings and have advice, I'd be happy to hear it. If not, well, it was nice to get my insecurity off my chest regardless.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Have any of you guys needed to "recover" from a shitty client before? If so, how'd you do it?

Story Time:

My boss at my current job (I'm not specifically a designer; I just happen to do design work for them) is something of a client from a hell. She: requests constant minor revisions, never provides finalized copy from the outset of a project (and once the copy is decided upon, she continues to make numerous alterations), never sets aside adequate time to plan out or complete projects, meaning that I'm always firing in the dark for the beginning phase of each project, and each project is being started days, sometimes hours, before the finalized product is needed. She has resisted all attempts to incorporate logic, order, and structure into the design process. And on top of all that, she just has really, really bad taste in design (I'm talking excessive drop shadows, Photoshop effects, and clip art) and will viciously tear apart any design until it adheres to that specific taste.

I originally saw this as an opportunity: if I could conquer her as a client, then no one would be able to stop me! But as the years passed, I accepted that my efforts were futile to begin with. She didn't want a designer; she wanted a Photoshop robot. Getting her to compromise was never on the table. That's fine, though, because my last day at that job will arrive in about a month.

What's not fine, however, is that I feel like working with her has totally crushed my confidence as a designer. This was my supposed to be my first real experience working with a client, but it was an unmitigated disaster. I learned valuable lessons about making succinct pitches and setting boundaries, but when it comes to things like understanding and responding to client needs, presenting work, working within brand guidelines, and establishing healthy communication, I feel like I've gained little to nothing. And, honestly, the experience has left me feeling insecure and hesitant to pursue real client work. I continue to fill my days with classwork and side projects rather than seek out paid work that I would be qualified for.

So yeah, if any of you have dealt with similar feelings and have advice, I'd be happy to hear it. If not, well, it was nice to get my insecurity off my chest regardless.
Put it in your portfolio of 'bad client' stories to show other designers like us :D

I've often found that when doing cheap work for people, often a bit of freelance corporate identity work or an illustration on mates rates, it turns into a nightmare as the people that can't afford to pay a professional designer often have no idea how to be a professional client in terms of constructive feedback and making changes, and no idea how to secure the best answers to the brief from you.

When it just becomes a fight between their clip-art and amateur photoshop ideas vs your wider skill set, and clearly all they want is a very cheap artworker with an expensive software suite, all you can do is direct them to a print shop who will happily do that stuff and are large enough that they don't have to take that shit.

While gaining experience is important, not being treated like that is important too- maybe try doing some research and putting together a short, constructive document on how a healthy design process that leads to good solutions works for amateur clients, even if it's just for your own self-confidence and sanity. As you say, having healthy boundaries as a bullet-point list in your head so you can confidently discuss project management is a good thing, but that stubborn boss/client relationship sounds unsalvagable. That's part of the career too. :D Hell, I've worked for non-art line managers for years that still don't really get how I do what I do after literally being able to sit and watch me do it!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I originally saw this as an opportunity: if I could conquer her as a client, then no one would be able to stop me! But as the years passed, I accepted that my efforts were futile to begin with. She didn't want a designer; she wanted a Photoshop robot. Getting her to compromise was never on the table.

Welcome to graphic design! Personally I'd say something like 70% of people just want a robot that can use photoshop and make whatever dumb thing they have in their head. 15% will be good clients and have a nice back and forth to produce even better work than you could have alone and 15% or so won't give a shit and will just let you do whatever.

This especially sucks when you're at the start of your career or getting almost no money from something and thus the "portfolio piece" and experience is more enticing than money. You just need to take the hits and keep working. Eventually you'll get enough good pieces despite these sorts of clients that you won't care as much. Sometimes you do need to just punch in and do the stuff and punch out.

There is something to be said though about developing a persuasive skillset to convert some of those 70% into a nice back and forth relationship. If you can get them to really see what good design is and how it'll help, then you'll produce something even better. A lot of design is learning that when someone says they want you to do something a lot of times they just don't know how to discuss what their problem is. They only know how to say a solution, which may not be the best solution. If you can learn to translate some of these things over time you can show them a solution that doesn't involve whatever nonsense they prescribe and they'll be even more happy with it. Again, you'll still end up with a large portion of clients that mostly want a photoshop robot, but you can start chipping that percentage downward over time with some good technique.

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
Put it in your portfolio of 'bad client' stories to show other designers like us :D

Boy, do I have some stories. My employer is actually a small business in which my boss is nigh-untouchable. Some of the shit I've been witness to here is W I L D and would never fly in a more established company.

While gaining experience is important, not being treated like that is important too- maybe try doing some research and putting together a short, constructive document on how a healthy design process that leads to good solutions works for amateur clients, even if it's just for your own self-confidence and sanity. As you say, having healthy boundaries as a bullet-point list in your head so you can confidently discuss project management is a good thing, but that stubborn boss/client relationship sounds unsalvagable. That's part of the career too. :D Hell, I've worked for non-art line managers for years that still don't really get how I do what I do after literally being able to sit and watch me do it!

I may just run with this idea. One of the more eye-opening aspects of this whole experience was realizing how unprepared I was for any sort of real-world client - not just a shitty one. A concrete, constructive way to channel and learn from all of the frustrations of this job is something I've needed for a while.

There is something to be said though about developing a persuasive skillset to convert some of those 70% into a nice back and forth relationship. If you can get them to really see what good design is and how it'll help, then you'll produce something even better. A lot of design is learning that when someone says they want you to do something a lot of times they just don't know how to discuss what their problem is. They only know how to say a solution, which may not be the best solution. If you can learn to translate some of these things over time you can show them a solution that doesn't involve whatever nonsense they prescribe and they'll be even more happy with it. Again, you'll still end up with a large portion of clients that mostly want a photoshop robot, but you can start chipping that percentage downward over time with some good technique.

As stressful as it can be at times, designing for classes and assignments has been a soothing fantasy compared to my work environment. Coming from that classroom setting, I think I just let myself believe that soft skills would naturally take a backseat to creativity and quality in the design process. I was definitely tripping, lol.

But, yeah, I totally get what you're saying here. Even though the job was a nightmare, the experience wasn't a complete bust. And I'd like to think my efforts at least helped elevate the baseline quality of designed materials from "Utter Shit" to "Kinda Shit", so there's that.

A bad client doesn't have to stay bad, and I'm gonna try to make myself better prepared so I can get the best out of bad clients in the future who might have some actual room for growth and are less stubborn and set in their ways than my current boss.

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm gonna power through this last month at my job and try to enter my Summer internship with a stronger skill set and good energy.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Boy, do I have some stories. My employer is actually a small business in which my boss is nigh-untouchable. Some of the shit I've been witness to here is W I L D and would never fly in a more established company.

I may just run with this idea. One of the more eye-opening aspects of this whole experience was realizing how unprepared I was for any sort of real-world client - not just a shitty one. A concrete, constructive way to channel and learn from all of the frustrations of this job is something I've needed for a while.

As stressful as it can be at times, designing for classes and assignments has been a soothing fantasy compared to my work environment. Coming from that classroom setting, I think I just let myself believe that soft skills would naturally take a backseat to creativity and quality in the design process. I was definitely tripping, lol.

But, yeah, I totally get what you're saying here. Even though the job was a nightmare, the experience wasn't a complete bust. And I'd like to think my efforts at least helped elevate the baseline quality of designed materials from "Utter Shit" to "Kinda Shit", so there's that.

A bad client doesn't have to stay bad, and I'm gonna try to make myself better prepared so I can get the best out of bad clients in the future who might have some actual room for growth and are less stubborn and set in their ways than my current boss.

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm gonna power through this last month at my job and try to enter my Summer internship with a stronger skill set and good energy.
That's the spirit :-)

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hi!

Can anyone tell me what kind of software is being used to make videos like this from Ted-ED

Even something simpler that-- with basic animations, maps/characters with the art style with moving hands animated in like 2 frames...

I am basically looking into making similar education videos, with the focus being on using simple animations and scenes with my voice over and text. I am completely new to this, so Im mostly curious what software is being used and how I can get started making simple videos.

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
Hi!

Can anyone tell me what kind of software is being used to make videos like this from Ted-ED

Even something simpler that-- with basic animations, maps/characters with the art style with moving hands animated in like 2 frames...

I am basically looking into making similar education videos, with the focus being on using simple animations and scenes with my voice over and text. I am completely new to this, so Im mostly curious what software is being used and how I can get started making simple videos.

A lot of the animations in that video seem like fairly standard AfterEffects fare, with maybe Cinema4D used for the 3D parts?

I'm sure there are other alternatives, but my experience with animation programs is limited, so hopefully someone else in thread can chime in with a more informed perspective lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Not sure if this would be the right thread to ask, but I've got a piece of monogram art I created in Procreate on my iPad. I want to use it on my wedding invitation, but whenever I throw it on vistaprint, there's a ton of artifacting going on. Can anyone recommend a free tool for removing jpg artifacts (if one exists)? It's not a color image, just black/white - but definite artifacting around the letter lines.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm designing an album cover right now.

Anyone know stuff about Barcodes (EAN-13) ?

What to think about? Can I just use an online Barcode-generator and throw it on? Or is that sketchy?

Oct 26, 2017
And a question regarding "Rich Blacks", do you always use the same CMYK code for it (and what do you use?) or do you always ask the printer for a specific one they think works best for them and that specfiic case?

Oct 26, 2017
Could you save the texture as a long image file, (you can just paste it from illustrator to photoshop if needed) then instead of drawing a line, just use a very long, thin image box as the same height as the other other lines?

E.g. if your lines are 5mm high and 210mm long, both the image file and the image box are also those dimensions.

If it's a shape that isn't a strict horizontal rule, almost anything can be an image box, use object/content/graphic to change any frame into an image box. You can create custom ones with the pen, or import vector shapes from illustrator and use them.

If that isn't an option, could you show an example of what you are trying to do? I can probably work it out, I use Indesign all day every day.

But if I import something from Illustrator, lets say a white logo - and I want a texture on it, like the example below, how would one do that in indesign?

h-bokstav-logo-design-f%C3%B6r-th-t-med-purpurf%C3%A4rgade-forest-texture-flat-vector-91058182.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
But if I import something from Illustrator, lets say a white logo - and I want a texture on it, like the example below, how would one do that in indesign?

h-bokstav-logo-design-f%C3%B6r-th-t-med-purpurf%C3%A4rgade-forest-texture-flat-vector-91058182.jpg
You need to have that white logo as a vector shape to use as an image box in Indesign, and the texture itself saved as an image file to import into it.

copy and paste the vector logo from illustrator into Indesign, then make sure it is an image box by selecting it and then using edit/content/graphic or edit/content/unassigned (unassigned auto-becomes an image box when an image is imported to it).

If the original logo isn't a vector file, you can make it into one in illustrator using the live trace option if you feel lazy, or redraw it yourself with the pen tool if you want to do it properly :D

Just in case it's relevant, with the little squares that aren't attached to the main logo there- you might have to have them as separate image boxes with the same image file in each, and then match them up by eye.

This might help:

https://indesignsecrets.com/indesigns-three-kinds-of-frames-text-graphic-and-unassigned.php

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick. I'll be at my office later on, can probably try to clarify again then if this still doesn't help.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
You need to have that white logo as a vector shape to use as an image box in Indesign, and the texture itself saved as an image file to import into it.

copy and paste the vector logo from illustrator into Indesign, then make sure it is an image box by selecting it and then using edit/content/graphic or edit/content/unassigned (unassigned auto-becomes an image box when an image is imported to it).

If the original logo isn't a vector file, you can make it into one in illustrator using the live trace option if you feel lazy, or redraw it yourself with the pen tool if you want to do it properly :D

Just in case it's relevant, with the little squares that aren't attached to the main logo there- you might have to have them as separate image boxes with the same image file in each, and then match them up by eye.

This might help:

https://indesignsecrets.com/indesigns-three-kinds-of-frames-text-graphic-and-unassigned.php

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick. I'll be at my office later on, can probably try to clarify again then if this still doesn't help.

Thanks. Ill check it out!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks. Ill check it out!
Typo on my part- it's not edit/content/graphic, that should be object/content/graphic to change the assigned nature of a frame/vector shape in Indesign!

At the office now, I'm sitting in front of Indesign and illustrator for the rest of the day (it's 10am here), let me know if I can help :-)

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
NovaTangerine

Sometimes I will collab with a client and it's tough to agree on design choices. Recently I was hired to help make a website, and my she was literally all about comic sans and early 90's clip art lol. It was work to convince her not to do it (the current site looked like geocities circa '98). Finally I was just like, "I know I don't have much clout right now, but here's something my design instructor would say about this...". For me, it worked and the website recently launched and it received lots of positive feedback. At any rate, for what it's worth the speaking through my design instructor thing has been a helpful tactic I've used in trying to score a victory for good taste.

Last edited:

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, boy...

In early April, I'd accepted a UX internship opportunity with a June start date from a corporation in the healthcare industry. Then two weeks ago, the company that was my first choice back when I was sending out applications hits me up out of nowhere and says they're interested in interviewing me. I go along with the interview, not actually expecting to get the position. Fast forward to today: I'm now being offered an internship in the UX department of this company.

Now I'm in the position of having to reject one of them, and I feel terrible about it. I'm leaning toward taking the new internship offer, but the thought of having to email the guy running the other internship and telling him that I'm bailing out of the internship I already accepted is causing major butterflies in my stomach.

NovaTangerine
At any rate, for what it's worth the speaking through my design instructor thing has been the most helpful of every tactic I've used in trying to score a victory for good taste.

Loool that client sounds like a hot mess, but good on them for at least being open to having their taste challenged by your "design instructor's" wisdom. I'm definitely gonna try something like in the future. I appreciate the tip.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Oh, boy...

In early April, I'd accepted a UX internship opportunity with a June start date from a corporation in the healthcare industry. Then two weeks ago, the company that was my first choice back when I was sending out applications hits me up out of nowhere and says they're interested in interviewing me. I go along with the interview, not actually expecting to get the position. Fast forward to today: I'm now being offered an internship in the UX department of this company.

Now I'm in the position of having to reject one of them, and I feel terrible about it. I'm leaning toward taking the new internship offer, but the thought of having to email the guy running the other internship and telling him that I'm bailing out of the internship I already accepted is causing major butterflies in my stomach.

Loool that client sounds like a hot mess, but good on them for at least being open to having their taste challenged by your "design instructor's" wisdom. I'm definitely gonna try something like in the future. I appreciate the tip.
Cool, are you interested in any of the research side of things in UX?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I'm currently prepping to work towards a small but respectable passive income stream over the next 9 months, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of websites for this?

Right now I'm eyeing both CreativeMarket and RedBubble to generate some content, but I'm looking for a good T-Shirt vendor. I don't want to do anything that I have to maintain a fee on, so I'm looking strictly for sites that will allow me to upload designs for apparel and sell them for a low profit margin. The idea is to create a blog / twitch / YouTube to build an audience, and use that to leverage these designs to the point where they pick up a little traction on those sites and give me some nominal passive income. If I can get to the point where I'm making $200 a month passively I'll be more comfortable moving to a completely freelance position (currently I bring in between $400-$500 per month doing it part time).

So, does anyone have any input on which sites are good? I'm also looking into stock photography as well.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I got a 1 yr membership to all the apps for $13.00

So uh, I guess Ill learn After Effects and Premiere Pro now

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I got a 1 yr membership to all the apps for $13.00

So uh, I guess Ill learn After Effects and Premiere Pro now

So.... you gonna put the rest of us on, or nah?

:-P Lucky you!

Cool, are you interested in any of the research side of things in UX?

Yes, actually! Though given the nature of the graphic design program at my university, I haven't really been able to dive into that side of UX yet. Hoping one of these internships will open the door.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So.... you gonna put the rest of us on, or nah?

:-P Lucky you!

Yes, actually! Though given the nature of the graphic design program at my university, I haven't really been able to dive into that side of UX yet. Hoping one of these internships will open the door.

Whoa! That's a crazy deal! Where'd you get that deal at?

Workplace benefit lol.

I may as well learn some skills. Is there a good youtube channel or do the apps have something built in?

How long do those pop science videos take to make if I know what Im doing? It seems like a daunting, time consuming task, but a good one to chip away at

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Adobe's YouTube channel is great, and you can download their tutorials app for some starter lessons / knowledge.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So I just watched this:

Answered a pretty important question, which seems to be:

-Make a drawing in Illustration (which has layers and stuff...)

-Import that image to After Effects, and then animate the layers.

Pretty daunting, but I remember making animations back in 2005 using Windows Movie maker or something.

So Im excited to do it again. The hardest part is going to be creating art. Im an awful artist, so Ill be looking to create some extremely simple stuff with minimal animations, unless theres a good way I can import a bunch of stuff.

For example, I intend to use pictures of countries, soldiers, and guns. The intention isn't to create complex animated scenes, but to use scenes and to have things like soldiers or maps pop up, disappear, wiggle, etc.

But Im imagining myself creating something like a simple 2D soldier. I cant imagine how to draw a helmet, and then a face, and uniform and face. Maybe I can look at some South Park art and create something similar as its fairly simpler in that regard.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just to let you know, you get Maxon Cinema 4D Lite whatever version number it is now with After Effects, which is a pretty basic 3D software (you can get the Studio versions of it, which are great, but expensive). Still, you can get some nice results with it, and it's integrated really well into the AE workflow.

You access it from File>New>Maxon Cinema 4D file.

The main thing you need to get your head around with AE are comps. They're kinda the AE equivalent to layers, but they're individual from each other. Say if you were animating a man walking in a field, with text popping up, you would put each of those 3 things in their own comps, before putting them all together in a final comp.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Since people are on the topics of Motion Graphics. I've started getting some jobs for simple motion graphics projects and I've mostly been learning through Skillshare. Does anyone have any knowledge of more advanced After Effects training? Ideally I'd like something like Skillshare where there's a suggestions for a project to do afterwards.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hope this is the right place to ask:

I've got a possible job offer with a local video editing company called "Bengal Fox". They're hiring for an "Animated Video Editor", and gave examples in their email on what they're looking for.

Essentially, they want people who can take stock photos/pictures and turn them into animated clips. This is the example they linked me: https://app.box.com/s/709yctumdguiduwsow7qqsyxtg3utk1q

To be considered for the job, they want me to create a similar five second clip using this photo: https://app.box.com/s/yi1wt6p21lblbet8kyuxjcbrxl55b1jl

Doesn't sound like it has to be anything fancy (I guess I would have the swings move, some leaves blowing in the wind, maybe insert something sitting on the swings?), but I would very much like to know what kind of program I would need to achieve this and how to create something that will hopefully meet their requirements.

They also want me to have experience in vector manipulation, asking me to make edits to this picture: http://freevectordownload.com/Free_Downloads.asp?id=1480

What kind of software would I need for both, and where would I best find tutorials to achieve what they want?

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this is the right place to ask:

I've got a possible job offer with a local video editing company called "Bengal Fox". They're hiring for an "Animated Video Editor", and gave examples in their email on what they're looking for.

Essentially, they want people who can take stock photos/pictures and turn them into animated clips. This is the example they linked me: https://app.box.com/s/709yctumdguiduwsow7qqsyxtg3utk1q

To be considered for the job, they want me to create a similar five second clip using this photo: https://app.box.com/s/yi1wt6p21lblbet8kyuxjcbrxl55b1jl

Doesn't sound like it has to be anything fancy (I guess I would have the swings move, some leaves blowing in the wind, maybe insert something sitting on the swings?), but I would very much like to know what kind of program I would need to achieve this and how to create something that will hopefully meet their requirements.

They also want me to have experience in vector manipulation, asking me to make edits to this picture: http://freevectordownload.com/Free_Downloads.asp?id=1480

What kind of software would I need for both, and where would I best find tutorials to achieve what they want?

If I had to take a guess on the first video, they're using Photoshop to cut out the individual pieces of the photo and place them on their own layers, then importing that layered .PSD into Adobe AfterEffects and using some of the built-in effects to manipulate each piece.

As for the vector manipulation, that's standard Adobe Illustrator fare. I'd peep any YouTube tutorial on using the pen tool and manipulating anchor points.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I had to take a guess on the first video, they're using Photoshop to cut out the individual pieces of the photo and place them on their own layers, then importing that layered .PSD into Adobe AfterEffects and using some of the built-in effects to manipulate each piece.

As for the vector manipulation, that's standard Adobe Illustrator fare. I'd peep any YouTube tutorial on using the pen tool and manipulating anchor points.

What would you say the learning curve would be?

Ideally I'd like to make something to show off within the next few days, but I've never done it before; the email says that the video example posted took an employee 80 minutes to make. I'm hoping once I actually learn how to do it, the rest will be simple enough (at least for their standards).

I at least know about the pen tool in Photoshop. Never touched AfterEffects.

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
What would you say the learning curve would be?

Ideally I'd like to make something to show off within the next few days, but I've never done it before; the email says that the video example posted took an employee 80 minutes to make. I'm hoping once I actually learn how to do it, the rest will be simple enough (at least for their standards).

I at least know about the pen tool in Photoshop. Never touched AfterEffects.

The learning curve probably wouldn't be crazy, but it'll definitely be more complex than following your average Photoshop / Illustrator tutorial, imo (though luckily it doesn't look like the type of motion they're creating is overly intricate). Definitely check out the video introducing AfterEffects that Miniature Kaiju posted earlier on this page. Then I'd recommend looking up more specific prompts like "how to make a photo look like it's moving in AfterEffects" and going from there (or something like that).