• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Nice mist and neon effects there, also the lighting from the train windows reflecting on the frames, good stuff!
what a great opportunity!

Thanks all! It was a fun little project to work on. It was a small payday, but it was so personally rewarding. Patrick is the coolest 85 year old hippie, working with him was so damn fun.

I'm working on two branding projects now and wishing they were half as fulfilling, haha.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I ran this thing on my instagram where I asked people to submit an anonymous confession.
Turned it into some sort of booklet to rest my typography skills when it comes to narrative.

Made an online version here, https://issuu.com/shujaatsyed/docs/confessiononline2

I'm going to get them physically made as well !

This is a brilliant idea. I really wanted to participate, but then I was just doing too much introspection and had to do some happy illustrating & freelance work, haha. Count me in for a copy!

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
This is a brilliant idea. I really wanted to participate, but then I was just doing too much introspection and had to do some happy illustrating & freelance work, haha. Count me in for a copy!
I don't know how many I'll end up making, but I'll make sure to send you a copy!

and that's fine! I'm trying out a new way to make art, and that's essentially involving other people in the creation process. So many people are hurting right now, and this is just my way of saying that they matter.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I don't know how many I'll end up making, but I'll make sure to send you a copy!

and that's fine! I'm trying out a new way to make art, and that's essentially involving other people in the creation process. So many people are hurting right now, and this is just my way of saying that they matter.

I think it's an incredible project. Have you considered making it into an e-book and self publishing? You could use it to generate some revenue to donate to a good cause!

I admire what you've done...I wish I could do something as cool, inspiring, and unique. Can not wait to see it & share it.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been interviewing candidates for a summer internship position and man... it's really making me miss the freeedom and exploration of being in school. Such awesome work so many of these kids are doing. Those of you who are still studying, make the most of it and really pour your heart in to enjoy it while it lasts!

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
I've been interviewing candidates for a summer internship position and man... it's really making me miss the freeedom and exploration of being in school. Such awesome work so many of these kids are doing. Those of you who are still studying, make the most of it and really pour your heart in to enjoy it while it lasts!
You can still do side projects ; )

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Welp, I'm taking the dive again and applying for more jobs. I'm utterly burnt out at my current job and pretty much detest everything I'm doing. I just...hate my job.

Hopefully this new job at a University will be a good leverage point into something more rewarding, because where I'm at now has zero opportunity for growth or change. So...I might be sending a few of you some digital works for input on my portfolio! Fingers crossed I can land this one, lol.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Welp, I'm taking the dive again and applying for more jobs. I'm utterly burnt out at my current job and pretty much detest everything I'm doing. I just...hate my job.

Hopefully this new job at a University will be a good leverage point into something more rewarding, because where I'm at now has zero opportunity for growth or change. So...I might be sending a few of you some digital works for input on my portfolio! Fingers crossed I can land this one, lol.
I'm down to see new stuff. I'm trying to find work, but my problem is that I have taken a break from school and I can't find any jobs in design that don't require a BA or BoS.

I'm currently building up my portfolio and am doing a project on Singer Vehicle Design, a Porsche retrofitting company.

It's very pre-mature, but here's some images of the project since I've started yesterday.

f941c581bcc750a08228f0b3438c6b80.png

be7b01f9439bc44b83944c7e249073cc.png

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, I'll commit the crime and double post.

I'm new here, as many of you would know. It seems that this is a slightly dimming discussion, but I love talking about design and anything relating to the field, whether industrial, graphic or product.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see you still kicking around! You gave me really good feedback on my Nintendo logo redesign on the old site !!

Oh yeah I made the jump alongside everyone else when the site rolled out, I've just been more of a lurker lately. Maybe I'll change that. Glad to hear you found my crit constructive! Always happy to help learning designers. I'm only where I am in my career thanks to the help of so many others that came before me.

I'm down to see new stuff. I'm trying to find work, but my problem is that I have taken a break from school and I can't find any jobs in design that don't require a BA or BoS.

FWIW I hire a lot of designers and every formal job posting I've ever had listed has a requirement of a BFA by default by HR when they make the listing but I don't actually care. I'll hire anyone with good work.

Often things like education and years of experience requirements are there just to filter out people who might otherwise apply who aren't actually serious about the position. If you think you can do the work and do it well, apply.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FWIW I hire a lot of designers and every formal job posting I've ever had listed has a requirement of a BFA by default by HR when they make the listing but I don't actually care. I'll hire anyone with good work.

Often things like education and years of experience requirements are there just to filter out people who might otherwise apply who aren't actually serious about the position. If you think you can do the work and do it well, apply.
Thanks for the scoop. I'm not so afraid of doing the work since I have some experience, but I'm just lost on what my portfolio should look like and what steps I should make to make it stand out in this field that is always changing.

I look around and often feel like my work is mediocre compared to what I am often seeing on the web. Maybe I'm just being harsh on myself...? I don't know.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018

I'm currently building up my portfolio and am doing a project on Singer Vehicle Design, a Porsche retrofitting company.

It's very pre-mature, but here's some images of the project since I've started yesterday.

f941c581bcc750a08228f0b3438c6b80.png

be7b01f9439bc44b83944c7e249073cc.png
Not sure if it's different in product design but you don't need a degree to get a job in design. Just create a great portfolio and apply even if they say the BA is required. I applied to many positions before that said it is required and still got gigs or interviews. Focus on a really good portfolio and you should be good.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if it's different in product design but you don't need a degree to get a job in design. Just create a great portfolio and apply even if they say the BA is required. I applied to many positions before that said it is required and still got gigs or interviews. Focus on a really good portfolio and you should be good.
I read this a while back and it made me feel better about my career choice. I'm currently working on my portfolio mixing in my fine-arts work, studio work and design work.

Do any of you have any tips for displaying work via the internet? I'm going to purchase a website domain soon, but I'm just wondering if there's anything that you all go to as a backup.

Also, here's something I'm messing around with on Illustrator.

2eb868100e76dbe7ff1bf353f4575d84.png

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
I read this a while back and it made me feel better about my career choice. I'm currently working on my portfolio mixing in my fine-arts work, studio work and design work.

Do any of you have any tips for displaying work via the internet? I'm going to purchase a website domain soon, but I'm just wondering if there's anything that you all go to as a backup.

Also, here's something I'm messing around with on Illustrator.

2eb868100e76dbe7ff1bf353f4575d84.png
Big high-res images. and it always help to seat your work in the environment it's supposed to be in. So for posters, I'll sometimes add a light texture to them so they feel less artificial. But that's just my approach.

I upload a lot of my work on Instagram. Kills the quality, and stuff, but it does help get people to see the work which is important.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Big high-res images. and it always help to seat your work in the environment it's supposed to be in. So for posters, I'll sometimes add a light texture to them so they feel less artificial. But that's just my approach.

I upload a lot of my work on Instagram. Kills the quality, and stuff, but it does help get people to see the work which is important.
I see.

I never thought of adding texture to posters, I'll experiment with using them on old projects and work.

I uploaded some work to Instagram and it turned into a pix-elated mess, but I figured that TIFFS are the best format to upload as, but they still lost quality, just less.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
I see.

I never thought of adding texture to posters, I'll experiment with using them on old projects and work.

I uploaded some work to Instagram and it turned into a pix-elated mess, but I figured that TIFFS are the best format to upload as, but they still lost quality, just less.
Here are some examples of my insta posts

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuKBoj9ByJB/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BonKhsajSpx/

yes the quality gets wrecked pretty hard but I still think they are decent enough to showcase it on a quick glance

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here are some examples of my insta posts

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuKBoj9ByJB/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BonKhsajSpx/

yes the quality gets wrecked pretty hard but I still think they are decent enough to showcase it on a quick glance
That's really great work. I love making posters, but I'm just terrible at figuring out layouts.

I have a lot of projects I've started, but given up because of how much I blank out on composition of the type to the subject.

An example is what I posted above.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
That's really great work. I love making posters, but I'm just terrible at figuring out layouts.

I have a lot of projects I've started, but given up because of how much I blank out on composition of the type to the subject.

An example is what I posted above.
One thing that helps me out is using grids!
Most of my work lines up one.

As far as composition goes, I'm pretty minimal for sure. I end up playing around with a lot of different layouts so it's good to experiment.
Examples below.

Me, every time you post new work:

mog1.gif

Thanks buddy! I have two more zines I'm working on!! It's funny how I got on this train so late. During my final 2 months of college but I have been having a blast.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Graphic Design Era...

How do you send digital proofs to clients? My wife just started a job doing something graphic design. She sent a PDF proof of a poster to a client and they were like "It's wayyyy too dark." With some back and forth, she realized whatever they were using to view the PDF was making the file look very dark when it's really not.

Is it better to just send a image file (JPEG or whatever) when sending a digital proof? I feel like there's so much variance with how people view PDFs that it could cause issues.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Graphic Design Era...

How do you send digital proofs to clients? My wife just started a job doing something graphic design. She sent a PDF proof of a poster to a client and they were like "It's wayyyy too dark." With some back and forth, she realized whatever they were using to view the PDF was making the file look very dark when it's really not.

Is it better to just send a image file (JPEG or whatever) when sending a digital proof? I feel like there's so much variance with how people view PDFs that it could cause issues.

Does she have the Creative Cloud? If so, I typically just use Adobe DC. Using that, you are able to send a link and they can see the document on the cloud, and leave comments / annotations on it, without a viewer. All they have to do is sign up for a free Creative Cloud account I believe. That's what I use when I send proofs to my biggest client, and it works fantastically since they can view on their mobile devices as well.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Does she have the Creative Cloud? If so, I typically just use Adobe DC. Using that, you are able to send a link and they can see the document on the cloud, and leave comments / annotations on it, without a viewer. All they have to do is sign up for a free Creative Cloud account I believe. That's what I use when I send proofs to my biggest client, and it works fantastically since they can view on their mobile devices as well.

thanks... That's essentially how I use Lightroom and share photos with clients.

If it's the same as LR, they don't need a Creative Cloud account to view/download/annotate.

I'll see if she's into this method.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
thanks... That's essentially how I use Lightroom and share photos with clients.

If it's the same as LR, they don't need a Creative Cloud account to view/download/annotate.

I'll see if she's into this method.

It's really helpful for me because multiple parties can review, and all feedback is consolidated into one document (vs the same PDF being sent to multiple people). I think if she goes this route it'll effectively take whatever weird software viewer they're using out of the equation. Good luck!

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Oh nice! I saw that the price was lowered but didn't see that it was a promotional deal. Do they usually do that?

Honestly not sure I did call support to ask what happens next billing cycle and Adobe said it reverts back to normal price. The offer was only good for 1 year. I shifted primarily to Clip Studio and Affinity but wanted to mess around with After Effects and Animate.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Honestly not sure I did call support to ask what happens next billing cycle and Adobe said it reverts back to normal price. The offer was only good for 1 year. I shifted primarily to Clip Studio and Affinity but wanted to mess around with After Effects and Animate.

You should also look into Character Animate. It's incredibly cool, if memory serves right has a workflow with After Effects as well.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I applied for another job in town, and while I was updating my resume I noticed that I'd made one massive, fumbling flaw: I didn't change the name of the business I was applying to in one paragraph of my cover letter (which explains why I didn't get so much as a call back).

Word from the experience failure: PROOF READ EVERYTHING. Kicking myself (though in hindsight after learning more, I wouldn't accepted the job as it wasn't guaranteed full time employment).

Fingers crossed this next run goes better, haha.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
I applied for another job in town, and while I was updating my resume I noticed that I'd made one massive, fumbling flaw: I didn't change the name of the business I was applying to in one paragraph of my cover letter (which explains why I didn't get so much as a call back).

Word from the experience failure: PROOF READ EVERYTHING. Kicking myself (though in hindsight after learning more, I wouldn't accepted the job as it wasn't guaranteed full time employment).

Fingers crossed this next run goes better, haha.
Haha I know the feeling! I did that once :(

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Signed up for two months of free skillshare today, mostly so I can dig into color correction, animation, and hand lettering. Going to REALLY have to kick it into overdrive since I only have two months free, but I'm confident I can do some fun stuff. Just invested in an Osmo Mobile 2 along with my iPhone 8+ and Filmic Pro...gonna see if I can do some fun video stuff with Adobe's new Content Aware Fill for After Effects (and finally learn how to color grade properly, lol).

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
Signed up for two months of free skillshare today, mostly so I can dig into color correction, animation, and hand lettering. Going to REALLY have to kick it into overdrive since I only have two months free, but I'm confident I can do some fun stuff. Just invested in an Osmo Mobile 2 along with my iPhone 8+ and Filmic Pro...gonna see if I can do some fun video stuff with Adobe's new Content Aware Fill for After Effects (and finally learn how to color grade properly, lol).
Looking forward to seeing the results of the hand-lettering classes!

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right place for such a request (or even allowed here), but do any of you do logo commissions?

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure a lot of us do (myself included). What are you looking for?
I'm starting a homebrew project. It'll be a pretty big focus for the foreseeable future. This will be used for Instagram and beer labels.

The image is a beer fermenter, with this waves of transitional vapor leaking off of it, which connect to the ingredients for beer. Hops, malt/grain, yeast and water.

I drew up a little something to get the idea on paper.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fjp8uG3HOuN_0xKLqoXUyBs5nq17mgcn/view?usp=drivesdk

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
can anyone recommend some good youtube channels to learn photoshop for beginners to advanced?

If you can wait a few months, I'm in the process of putting together some courses, haha.

I'd recommend rummaging through Adobe's YouTube channel, they've got a lot of good resources available there, and you can learn watching other people use the software through their Adobe Live series.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you can wait a few months, I'm in the process of putting together some courses, haha.

I'd recommend rummaging through Adobe's YouTube channel, they've got a lot of good resources available there, and you can learn watching other people use the software through their Adobe Live series.
I'll look deeper into Adobes channel. I only saw a couple of vids, but they seemed to quickly go through what they were showing without explaining much.

And sure thing, just post your channel here when you're ready ;)

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
So I've known a client for several years who I offered free graphic design work for from time to time. She contacted me a couple days ago requesting another free design. This one was much more involved and would take several long days at least to do. I basically obligated to request a fee, and she seemed pretty concerned about it, mentioning how she's a non profit and might not be able to afford it (like ANY fee. she wants free work), and put up an ad on her company's facebook page asking for graphic designers. My concern is, not to brag too much, but the thing she needs to have made is kinda hard to do and I'm not sure anyone who's commented on her post has the experience and skills to see it through properly.

So I feel a bit torn between not wanting to leave her company in the dust for this upcoming event vs. setting up and maintaining boundaries and terms that are respectful to myself as a professional graphic designer/illustrator. Again, since connecting with her I've already provided a decent amount of free graphic design work, even a couple of projects as involved as this, so I'm not feeling too guilty here. And honestly it's tough not to feel a tad insulted when being asked to make another ambitious project for free after all that I've contributed. But it's still a tough call for me. What if whoever's hired makes something that looks like garbage? I dunno.

Advice?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I've known a client for several years who I offered free graphic design work for from time to time. She contacted me a couple days ago requesting another free design. This one was much more involved and would take several long days at least to do. I basically obligated to request a fee, and she seemed pretty concerned about it, mentioning how she's a non profit and might not be able to afford it (like ANY fee. she wants free work), and put up an ad on her company's facebook page asking for graphic designers. My concern is, not to brag too much, but the thing she needs to have made is kinda hard to do and I'm not sure anyone who's commented on her post has the experience and skills to see it through properly.

So I feel a bit torn between not wanting to leave her company in the dust for this upcoming event vs. setting up and maintaining boundaries and terms that are respectful to myself as a professional graphic designer/illustrator. Again, since connecting with her I've already provided a decent amount of free graphic design work, even a couple of projects as involved as this, so I'm not feeling too guilty here. And honestly it's tough not to feel a tad insulted when being asked to make another ambitious project for free after all that I've contributed. But it's still a tough call for me. What if whoever's hired makes something that looks like garbage? I dunno.

Advice?

Honestly, I think if you do it for free, you're setting both of you up for failure, more or less. If you do it free, then she will feel like what you provide is the caliber of free design work, and you're also setting a precedent for yourself ("if I push back a little, he'll still do it for free"). The best thing you can do here, as uncomfortable as it may sound, is let her get someone for free, and let her see the value in your services through that.

Many people simply don't have a good grasp on what good design work is, what it costs, and the time it takes. They think the computer does most of the work and that they just don't "know" how to do it. If you let her see that there is a great amount of skill, talent, and knowledge involved (through booking someone who will provide sub par work) then she will be more likely to identify what it is she was getting for free, and hopefully have a better understanding for future projects when she approaches you.

There's nothing wrong with volunteering your time to an NPO, but you have to draw your limits on occasion because the more you give, the more they are likely to ask for.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Hi Era, new to the thread

Sooo I'm doing a series of simple photo ads for social media, and have two questions

Firstly well...critique me, I feel it doesn't look BAD or anything, but maybe it's too generic?

fleetmanage_orig.png

Secondly...does anyone know of any sources of (preferably free) stock photography but with indian/black people? Not that I have any problem with white folks, but it just isn't really representative of my country xD