• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 20, 2019
With games like Resident Evil 3 / Death Stranding etc on 1.8 TFLOP machines, I expect much more from 10 and 12 TFLOP RDNA2 machines :)

Edit: This is from -

JsubuPB.jpg

92TJqqe.jpg

vGzujLF.jpg

IysmXCj.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Could you provide context? Who is that? Is that from a tech demo? I have no idea what the pictures are from other than that the person looks realistic

Jan 21, 2019
Expect this level of fidelity for environments.

The guy who made this tweeted that he is working on a game that look "much" better than this.

Also this will also be possible no problem.

We will also see more interesting hair styles next gen, since hair rendering will make huge leaps.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I fear raytracing will be brutal on these consoles - hopefully devs push for high fps and good art direction over native 4k and heavy ray traced elements.

HDMI 2.1 VRR should help a bit, I guess.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly good with graphics the way they are now. I'm not a developer so perhaps I am wrong, but I feel like graphics like that would continue to cause budgets to explode for AAA games and would make them even less risk adverse.

Jan 21, 2019
I fear raytracing will be brutal on these consoles - hopefully devs push for high fps and good art direction over native 4k and heavy ray traced elements.

As RT will become a standard, devs will find ways to lessen the impact by using tricks to get good results without destroying the hardware. I mean just look at the jump from Battlefield 1 to Control. Control has a lot more RT effects while the cost is relatively small compared the Battlefields reflections only.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
First of all, the pics in the OP all look terrible. The work to achieve this level of fidelity would be way too costly, let alone that it's doing things that aren't feasible for realtime in a game. An engine is a lot more complex than just rendering visual elements.
tristan-machet-tony-dugard-beyond-the-aquila-rift-013.jpg

tristan-machet-tony-dugard-beyond-the-aquila-rift-014.jpg

0*Y7b_KX-Z7u0I_Kp3.png

florent-duport-14.jpg

All of these shots required a render farm and you expect them to reach this level of fidelity, or for any studio to even be afforded the budget required, on a single platform? This short was made by teams taking FULL advantage of what's possible with offline rendering.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could care less about photo realism. I want great art direction, better IQ, and decent performance. I do care about graphical fidelity and the advancement of graphical/rendering technologies, but I don't need everything to look real.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I predict some people will be shocked at how good the graphics look and others will be disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017

Machine Learning will play a role with more and more reconstructed samples from lower resolution, Nvidia DLSS example of Control at quarter resolution of 1080p(540p) is a great one. MS has specific ML optimizations baked on silicon and PS5 will have some sort of AI/ML. We need to see if these are RDNA 2 Features or vendor specific.

Jan 21, 2019
So you're cool with paying more than $60 for a game then, yeah?
Haven't multiple devs already said that next gen productions won't be more expensive. Also apparently the PS5 is even easier to work with than the PS4 so production costs in some departments might sink. Just imagine all the work that went into streaming systems that won't be necessary now because both consoles have great SSDs. On PS5 this is not even an issue anymore. On of the devs of Life is Strange said that the HDD was a huge headache to work with (meaning time and money), this headache is gone.

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a production nightmare lol. Hopefully you are willing to pay more for these games as well.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't multiple devs already said that next gen productions won't be more expensive. Also apparently the PS5 is even easier to work with than the PS4 so production costs in some departments might sink. Just imagine all the work that went into streaming systems that won't be necessary now because both consoles have great SSDs. On PS5 this is not even an issue anymore. On of the devs of Life is Strange said that the HDD was a huge headache to work with (meaning time and money), this headache is gone.
If games get more ambitious, and they will, the cost mitigation won't necessarily be substantial. Games will still be costing tens of millions of dollars to make.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
10 years ago I would say keep pushing graphical fidelity, now I want developers to focus on performance and some IQ. I say this because art direction is good and gets the point across to advance any story the game presents.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Graphics aren't what will be most impressive about next gen due to diminishing returns. Death Stranding looks like your screens basically. Graphics are behind SSD, Simulation and AI, and tactile advancements. So I get you but it's not that exciting and won't make the difference you think it will.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yo I remember watching many of them animations on Netflix and that one in particular was very memorable and left me kinda fucked up for a minute lol.

Hopefully fidelity is that good, even if only on real time cut-scenes.

Btw, are those animated series still on Netflix? I thought I had them on "my list", but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
First of all, the pics in the OP all look terrible. The work to achieve this level of fidelity would be way too costly, let alone that it's doing things that aren't feasible for realtime in a game. An engine is a lot more complex than just rendering visual elements.
tristan-machet-tony-dugard-beyond-the-aquila-rift-013.jpg

tristan-machet-tony-dugard-beyond-the-aquila-rift-014.jpg

0*Y7b_KX-Z7u0I_Kp3.png

florent-duport-14.jpg

All of these shots required a render farm and you expect them to reach this level of fidelity, or for any studio to even be afforded the budget required, on a single platform? This short was made by teams taking FULL advantage of what's possible with offline rendering.
LOL I understand how things work but we can come close for sure.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look what we're getting with FF7re on PS4 hardware, now imagine PT2 being built from the ground up on PS5 tech, it's going to be something

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ok... I can like art direction and not care about photo-realism. They are not mutually exclusive concepts.
The issue is creating a separation between "photorealism" and "art direction."
You'll be hella disappointed if you're expecting Beyond the Aquila Rift in realtime. Like it's not just about faces, it's about micro-details. Millions of actual strands of hair being rendered. The complexity of clothing and skin as they deform realistically. The sheer amount of lights, reflections, and PP that make the whole thing come to life. etc. When you watch a video game cutscene, even when the art direction of a pre-rendered scene is matched, your mind picks up on the lack of these details. And all of these micro-details come with a cost. And technically game engines are capable of reaching CG level fidelity. It's the part where it has to be more than just a pretty render. Hence why stuff like complex SSS and model detail immediately get toned down the second we switch to gameplay.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you are willing to pay 300$ bucks per game, you are in the right track. Man, when people realize this generation will not improve fidelity as much as will just allow more busy vistas, we all could see soul crushing reactions.