• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I can't believe this is now last gen. (Second one is Uncharted 4).

IlFXYDD.jpg
CHsPYRz.jpg

CNmAG4K.jpg

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Next Gen is here, just look at how this rock asset blends into the terrain in AC Valhalla. So sexy!

g4szuTN.jpg

The environments in Valhalla look so amazing, such a beautiful game. I am not sure if Ubisoft gets enough credit for the amazing job they did with the open world in Valhalla.
Yup it's quite nice little trick.
Basic idea is to take texture of ground and project it to object depending distance from ground and object normal.

Really hope we will see some form of additional trick for the ground around the stone in new generation.
Erosion or soil movement depending on the effect of stone/trees blocking the movement of soil.
Might be possible with object distance field, ground tilt/direction affecting height/normal of ground and texture.. (Stone/tree on tilted surface could gather soil above it and cause void under it..)

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing next gen about Valhalla.

Lol. Nobody is going to remember, but last year in this thread I made a point about mesh blending of terrain assets and use the previous Assassin Creed games as an example. The next gen graphical feature I expect is mesh blending and Valhalla delivered on that! (for the most part). Seriously though, I agree, it's not a next-gen visually experience even though it is a very beautiful open world game (top 3 in my opinion). The characters, the animations, physics, etc., they are all very much last gen.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Lol. Nobody is going to remember, but last year in this thread I made a point about mesh blending of terrain assets and use the previous Assassin Creed games as an example. The next gen graphical feature I expect is mesh blending and Valhalla delivered on that! (for the most part). Seriously though, I agree, it's not a next-gen visually experience even though it is a very beautiful open world game (top 3 in my opinion). The characters, the animations, physics, etc., they are all very much last gen.
Mesh blending has been used already in games prior to Valhalla, not something id consider next gen.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Yeah Unreal 5 games won't emerge for a good while yet but they look to absolutely change the game with what we see on screen giving it a far more CGI look. That's the real next gen there if the demo was anything to go by.
There are other next gen engines other than Unreal 5, the new Battlefield will look just as incredible in my opinion.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mesh blending has been used already in games prior to Valhalla, not something id consider next gen.

Yeah, but rarely. It needs to be standard for next-gen. It makes such a huge visual difference. In fact, I will go as far as saying that it is one of the main reasons why the environments in RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Valhalla look so amazing.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Sony released an update for UC4 that would jump to the top of the current best looking games

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, but rarely. It needs to be standard for next-gen. It makes such a huge visual difference. In fact, I will go as far as saying that it is one of the main reasons why the environments in RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Valhalla look so amazing.
It certainly goes a long way i agree with that.

Last gen engines and game design is hurting the next big leap...

It always will. We just go through this cycle every generation where people think that having to support a lower common denominator suddenly wont hold back visuals.

Dec 2, 2020
I have to say the most impressed I've been so far purely visually is the short clips of the in development EA games. Battlefield 6 will be one of the first jaw dropping visual feasts of this generation imo with large numbers of incredibly detailed characters and vehicles on screen all with destructible physics systems which interact with one another in massive photo realistic maps.

I don't know what it is but I was rather unimpressed with the UE5 tech demo in terms of it's visuals. It looked very much on par with what we've seen from ND, CD, R* etc this generation although obviously the very last scene was impressive for the speed in which the World was traveled while also being destroyed.

I'm just hesitant to believe that sort of thing until I see it in a game though after the PS4 Capcom dragon and the early Ubisoft bullshit last gen aswell as the bullshit we're fed when it comes to visuals at the start of every generation in the form of tech demos and vertical slices.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say the most impressed I've been so far purely visually is the short clips of the in development EA games. Battlefield 6 will be one of the first jaw dropping visual feasts of this generation imo with large numbers of incredibly detailed characters and vehicles on screen all with destructible physics systems which interact with one another in massive photo realistic maps.

Is BF6 cross-gen? If so, how will that impact the visuals. I'm sure it will be stunning as you said.

Dec 2, 2020
Is BF6 cross-gen? If so, how will that impact the visuals. I'm sure it will be stunning as you said.

I hope it isn't but even if it is I still expect it to limit last gen to half the players at half the framerate while also removing a lot of the destruction with additional downgrades to lighting and textures.

Hopefully CP77 showed publishers not to try and ram a square peg into a circle hole when it comes to trying to squeeze next gen projects onto last gen hardware.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019

I don't know what it is but I was rather unimpressed with the UE5 tech demo in terms of it's visuals. It looked very much on par with what we've seen from ND, CD, R* etc this generation although obviously the very last scene was impressive for the speed in which the World was traveled while also being destroyed.

I'm just hesitant to believe that sort of thing until I see it in a game though after the PS4 Capcom dragon and the early Ubisoft bullshit last gen aswell as the bullshit we're fed when it comes to visuals at the start of every generation in the form of tech demos and vertical slices.
Maybe you need to take a second look at UE5s demo....IMO

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
One of the most baffling things I've read on here, none of those companies have any game out that comes anywhere near the UE5 demo...which is film quality stuff easily! Certain studios have had access to ue5 for the past few months and that lumen demo...it's insane.
I can't fucking wait until we get our first glimpse at UE5 games from big studios. I am fascinated to see what it will be like in practice.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I can't fucking wait until we get our first glimpse at UE5 games from big studios. I am fascinated to see what it will be like in practice.
It should allow to make bigger worlds more easily with 64bit coordinate system.
UE4 just got support for quite bit larger textures in runtime virtual texturing, so it's now usable for large areas. (Use additional indirection in virtual texture.)

Last edited:

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy with what we have right now and I'm still on a ps4. Concerning this new generation, I can't say I've been blown away by anything at all, though I'm sure future titles will look amazing all round. Right now I'm just thinking how Last Of Us 2 would look like with 60fps, pretty damn great I assume.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
given that Nanite can't be used for dynamic assets yet, I question the use of it outside of non-gaming scenarios. I guess the demo was an extreme example and the highest poly hero asset will just break 1M polygons at LOD0?
Nanite can be used for dynamic assets as well. But it cannot be used on deformable objects.

Dec 2, 2020
One of the most baffling things I've read on here, none of those companies have any game out that comes anywhere near the UE5 demo...which is film quality stuff easily! Certain studios have had access to ue5 for the past few months and that lumen demo...it's insane.

Not going into details about the technology but rather just looking at a single frame of it's cave environment vs something like a Sony first party game like God of War or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on a high end PC I personally don't think it looks like a generational leap.

Zoom in on it's textures then yes, the real time GI of course and as I said the final part with the fast moving traversal and destruction mean it's certainly next gen. My point was compare a frame of it vs a frame of the best of this gen (purely visual) and it doesn't blow me away personally. Then there's the fact it's a tech demo so it's not running the multitudes of code that's usually required in the background.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Not going into details about the technology but rather just looking at a single frame of it's cave environment vs something like a Sony first party game like God of War or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on a high end PC I personally don't think it looks like a generational leap.

Zoom in on it's textures then yes, the real time GI of course and as I said the final part with the fast moving traversal and destruction mean it's certainly next gen. My point was compare a frame of it vs a frame of the best of this gen (purely visual) and it doesn't blow me away personally. Then there's the fact it's a tech demo so it's not running the multitudes of code that's usually required in the background.
its about the whole thing in action not comparing textures...

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Speaking of woods and forests, Cold War has some pretty damn good looking ones for an early next gen game (since, you know, this thread should be focusing on that )!

😃

Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Cold-War-Screenshot-2021-03-13-17-32-07-49.png

Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Cold-War-Screenshot-2021-03-16-01-49-39-83.png

Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Cold-War-Screenshot-2021-03-13-17-42-53-40.png

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Another year, maybe 2 and things should really get going.

Hoping we'll see some insanity visually by the end of this year.

I'm ready for the older consoles to drop from the development cycle.