• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Atari 2600

Star Ship (1977):

SerpentineImperturbableElephantseal.gif

Solaris (1986):

1436581712258.gif

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
what? if anything this is even more impressive considering how they have already topped a game that came out a year ago. U4 was their first ps4 game and tlou2 will likely be their last, the comparison holds.

and no, the second game is not designed for the PS4 Pro's specs. both u4 and the lost legacy look identical across both consoles with the 1440p resolution on the pro being its only advantage.
Even if you want to ignore the jump from to 1440p for some reason, it still isn't fair to compare a game that is released to one that isn't.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Halo 3 to 4 on the 360. You got crazy old man Lord Hood on one side and the jaw dropping (at the time) gif of Captain Lasky on the other.

343 did work. Also, compare the first Gears to Gears 3. Damn, if Epic weren't masters of showing off their own engine.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 to 4 on the 360. You got crazy old man Lord Hood on one side and the jaw dropping (at the time) gif of Captain Lasky on the other.

343 did work. Also, compare the first Gears to Gears 3. Damn, if Epic weren't masters of showing off their own engine.
Both halo 4 and gears 3 had their drawbacks. I still remember how poor the draw distance was in gears 3. In act 4, you take this lift across a large crater and everything around you was blurred out.

343 pretty much turned halo into a linear shooter whereas halo 3 had huge areas with massive land and air battles.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Both halo 4 and gears 3 had their drawbacks. I still remember how poor the draw distance was in gears 3. In act 4, you take this lift across a large crater and everything around you was blurred out.

343 pretty much turned halo into a linear shooter whereas halo 3 had huge areas with massive land and air battles.
Halo 4 almost looked like it could have come out on another system. I agree about the gameplay stepbacks but as for graphics? It's one of the reigning kings on the 360.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
The jump from Halo to Halo 2 then Halo 3 to 4 is pretty impressive.

xW78K9x.png

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The jump from Halo to Far Cry: Instincts/Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was massive. Ubisoft did incredibly work on the Xbox, and the PS2 port of Chaos Theory is nothing to sneeze at. However, modern hardware doesn't have the same learning curve old architectures did, so you don't see the kind of jumps you once did.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yup halo reach was better tech wise than 4. 4 has to dumb down ai, reduce debris and explosion effects and particle life aswell as physical objects in the world, worse water and drastically smaller area missions and ai count to improve visuals . I don't consider it above halo 3/reach simply because it's essentially a drastically smaller in scope game and easier to render that scope compare to the previous games

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel this generation (including the WiiU, PS4, XBO and Switch) we won't be seeing/haven't seen similar progression as with earlier system.

I guess one reason being off-the-shelf parts being used, and another that developers are now used to developing HD games and didn't have to make the big hardware jump as with earlier generations.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Some time ago I did a comparison about Square games graphics progression through the SNES era (with FFIII and FFVII as examples of what came just before and after the SNES):

EzoNDxI.png

Stunning eh?
Seiken Densetsu 3 still looks incredible to me to this day. Another Square looker of the time was Treasure of the Rudras, which I think came after Super Mario RPG. Its artists really knew how to make grass, foliage, and other organic materials.
njd9rf7.gif

Enix took a huge leap too on the SNES. DQV is one of the uglier games on the system, while DQVI looks great.
0RWiP4K.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how people are using CGI screenshots or unreleased bullshots to make a point, but whatever.

Last-gen was absolutely bonkers in this sense given the lenght of the generation. Let's get another 360 example out there:

From a launch X360 FPS, Perfect Dark Zero...
maxresdefault.jpg

To Bioshock Infinite in 2013 (one of its DLCs, actually), one of the last non-crossgen FPSs on the system (it ended up being remastered for Xbox One and PS4)...
4.jpg

And Perfect Dark Zero actually looked pretty awesome for its time, too.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
That's because Sony built the PS3 to be notoriously hard to get good performance out of.
Yeah, but that doesn't make the progression from Uncharted to TLoU any less impressive. If anything, it makes it more impressive.

Here's another I find pretty amazing: one of the first on the NES compared to one of the last.
large.jpg

butter.gif

Fledgling

Oct 27, 2017
England
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune --> The Last Of Us
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction --> Into The Nexus
GTA IV -- > GTA V

So many fine-ass looking games but plenty of outliers. Some games from early in the PS3s lifespan look way better than others released towards the end.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The big jumps happen mostly in first two years. After that the jumps tend to get pretty small.

Solrac

Nov 4, 2017
to all the guys that think that tlou 2 trailer is in-game... you are gonna be really disappointed

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
From Uncharted 1 to The Last of Us on PS3 is one of the most memorable graphical progression in a generation.

It's unbelievable how ND mastered the PS3 and squeezed out every drop of power out of the PS3 throughout the generation.

r9wHnYb.png

8RXp6PZ.png

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
How did they have enough memory for unique cloud and bush assets in 3?

Taken from Wikipedia:

''The Super Mario Bros. 3 cartridge uses Nintendo's custom MMC3 (memory management controller) ASIC to enhance the NES capabilities. The MMC3 chip allows for animated tiles, extra RAM for diagonal scrolling, and a scan line timer to split the screen. The game uses these functions to split the game screen into two portions, a playfield on the top and a status bar on the bottom, allowing the top portion to scroll as the character navigates the stage while the bottom portion remains static to display text and other information''.

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
Snes progression is huge.

But don't forget that Snes cartridges can contain additional hardware so it's kinda cheating.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Motosport 2 to 4 was pretty striking to me, because I played through the series in quick succession (lttp).

Forza-Motorsport-2.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-4.jpg

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
This thread seems like from bullshot to bullshot, but they are some good examples here. I would vote from FM 2 to FH 1, even though half-framerate, that game is nuts. Or from Call of Duty 2 to Crysis (any installment), on PS3/X360 consoles.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics on PS3/Xbox360 made some big jumps. Especially the games that came very late and even became cross platform titles in the current gen.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
What I find fun is that because the PS4 had super off the shelf parts that the graphics would peak early for it.

I have to disagree with the first part. The most important part of the PS4, its APU, is not "off the shelf" at all, much less "super off the shelf". It was made specifically for Sony, and no one else can buy it. Sure, there's less innovation there compared to Sony's previous console generations, but the system architecture (specifically the way the CPU/GPU/GDDR5 interoperate) was quite unique for its time. Nowadays, I guess you find something similar in the XB1X (on steroids), but you still can't really replicate it with standard PC parts as far as I know.