• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
In the wake of the theft of GTA6 assets, some dumb person on Twitter proclaimed that graphics are the first thing that are finished, so what you saw in those clips and screenshots was what it will look like at launch.

FdIOcCNXoAAxveP.jpg

In response, devs that know how stupid that is to say about game development decided to start sharing what early games actually look like.

View: https://twitter.com/cultofthelamb/status/1572300561072128000

View: https://twitter.com/bacon_sanwich/status/1572329874915721219

Joking post:
View: https://twitter.com/mrsambarlow/status/1572293165201387524

View: https://twitter.com/cianmaher0/status/1572194481071599616

I'll probably make a few posts with more tweets from devs, but feel free to share anything else I've missed and I'll threadmark them. Let's enjoy this fun trend from devs on Twitter.

Last edited:

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that the guy who said that protected his tweets afterwards lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I took a double take at the thread title; naturally it turned out to be dunking on a bad take.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I gotta laugh at all the people judging the GTA6 gameplay leak like it's a final product. I have to laugh at the stupidity because I don't know what else to do. Twitter, ERA, or Reddit; šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ those people specifically are dumb as fuck

Frozen Synapse, Rift of the NecroDancer, The Last of Us, The Dark Detective

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I saw we had one in our leak thread talking about how it's their right to criticize the graphics and it's just... šŸ¤¦ if you don't know shit about something, please stop telling other people they don't know shit about something.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I already saw this tweet yesterday and literally laughed out loud. Like it's pretty much the exact opposite.
Lmao. It even starts perfectly with "If you knew how game development goes..." šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
This is a guy who thinks that game dev is pulling premade assets from some magical store, putting them all together nice and neatly and then "doing some code" to make them do things.

His idea of "how game development goes" is downloading Unreal Engine without any knowledge of programming and making a scene that looks glossy with wetness shaders and badabing badaboom video game

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So glad to see actual devs respond to the nonsense about how game dev works.

You really love to see it.

Jul 2, 2021
This is a guy who thinks that game dev is pulling premade assets from some magical store, putting them all together nice and neatly and then "doing some code" to make them do things.

His idea of "how game development goes" is downloading Unreal Engine without any knowledge of programming and making a scene that looks glossy with wetness shaders and badabing badaboom video game
I think he thought game development works like making a level in LittleBigPlanet or Super Mario Maker. šŸ˜‚

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am happy that guy twitted that, let the devs keep bringing those images. Also Horizon should definitely give us Lego mobs.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested they talked on the Giantbombcast today with Imran Khan and John Warren about this pretty good discussion and honestly I hope with GTA being so high profile with this leaking it might educate some people on how games are made.

I think EA has been pretty good about this recently and honestly I was really shocked they willingly shared such early Skate 4 stuff.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Yeah I saw we had one in our leak thread talking about how it's their right to criticize the graphics and it's just... šŸ¤¦ if you don't know shit about something, please stop telling other people they don't know shit about something.

it's my right to criticize games whenever and however I want and Last of Us 5 looks like absolute shit right now.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
StarCraft, basically final graphics
url
This is an interesting one because that really is how Starcraft debuted in '96, built on the Warcraft 2 engine (somewhat obviously). Criticism on its debut led to them retooling it completely, but there is an alternative universe somewhere out there where SC really did look like this on launch.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda liked Jessie's flowing shirt from the dev footage of Control. These are all pretty hilarious but I love seeing the BTS stuff of how these games came together so glad devs are sharing.

OP
OP
Captain of Outer Space

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine speaking authoritatively about game development without having seen a single BTS piece ever.
Some people have a limitless supply of audacity to say wild shit at any time.

I'll say that I'd love for devs to include BTS stuff in their games more often. Early videos, commentary, screenshots, and all that kind of stuff. I loved unlocking videos in the first two Uncharted games showing Nolan North and the other voice actors doing performance capture in the studio.