• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Keep in mind they are still "officially" considered as a subsidiary of GungHo (Puzzle & Dragons dev). I had talked about this on a thread only a few days ago, but it now hit me that putting Nintendo as a client might mean more than being a distributor of their games. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is being distributed by Nintendo for the physical version but is not being published by them. NMH is self-published.

I have looked at the company fact sheet that Grasshopper has been keeping up on https://www.grasshopper.co.jp/en/company/outline.html
Some quick digging with google cache have shown that their sheet have changed recently, a few days ago in fact, when they haven't changed during most of their time at Gung-Ho. The change happened between November 19, 2018 and December 12, 2018.

Here is what it looks on November 19, 2018:

29nov2018vtdbx.png

Here's how it changed between November 19, 2018 and December 12, 2018

12dec2018r7f84.png

The new outlook of the company shows several things:
  1. They have changed their office location
  2. The number of employees has been downsized from 35 to 20
  3. The amount of capital they owned went from 50M Yen to 10M Yen.
  4. Nintendo is listed as "Major Clients"
  5. They have changed banks, when they remained with Mizuho Bank, Ltd. for the entirety of the duration with Gung-Ho, according to the timeline of the fact sheet.

Why is it interesting ? First of all, despite being still officially a subsidiary of GungHo, they have moved OUT of GungHo's office (the classy building below) to move not far from there in a more commercial part of Jimbocho.

This is where they are located now

All of this seems like weird signs for a company that remains as a subsidiary of GungHo. My pinky tells me they've actually gone truly indie and split off with GungHo, especially considering Travis Strikes Again:No More Heroes is self-published and seemingly without GungHo's involvement. However, they are still listed as a subsidiary in GungHo's reports, and I don't know if it's entirely legal to keep calling a company a subsidiary when it's not anymore. Other things of note: GungHo's name has never came up in any capacity by Suda or Grasshopper's staff in months. Also, Hideyuki Shin, the director of Killer is Dead and Let it Die seems to have scrubbed every mention of Grasshopper in his twitter handle and bio, potentially meaning that he parted ways with the company (maybe to remain with GungHo ? GhM doesn't seem like they could still be working on Let it Die with their current staff).

But that's not the most interesting thing, what's interesting is that Nintendo is listed as a major client, and the previous major clients were only those who *actually* published Grasshopper's games. GungHo published Let it Die, Kadokawa games published Killer is Dead, they were the ones who gave funds to the company.

At this stage, Nintendo doesn't seem to have given any funding that we know of, considering TSA is a self-published game but the listing is curious. I don't think they have any staff to spare to make another game on top of Travis Strikes Again, but it might be the beginning of a partnership in the making. I know previous Nintendo president Furukuwa apparently really appreciated Suda's appeareance during the Switch reveal conference. Suda had also said that a Nintendo of Europe rep had recently discussed with him about how Killer7 was seen as a great success in Europe for them.

As always, it's speculation, but there are big changes in the making for the company. Maybe Travis Strikes Again truly is a test in more ways than the funding No More Heroes 3 ? Could Nintendo potentially being one to foot the bill if the western appeal of No More Heroes remained strong ? The road ahead is interesting.

suda_.gif

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Suda51 is one cool dude. They make really fun and unique games and I hope Nintendo takes Grasshopper under their wing.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Suda recently started talking about No More Heroes 3 in greater details makes me think that they may have already struck a deal with Nintendo.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they've got only 20 employees these days? Damn. I wonder how many they had last gen when they were still pumping out game after game.

Hard to imagine they could do NMH3 with a head count that small, although I guess they could always outsource (or increase their headcount) if they can secure financing for the title.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Is Travis the new Bayonetta?

Interestingly, Suda has big plans about Travis. I feel like he wants to transform Travis from this anti-hero loser otaku to a mythical, almost comic book hero figure, with Suda's twist

"In order for Travis to stand a chance [against these powerful new foes] I wanted to give Travis the chance to enter these different game worlds [in Travis Strikes Again] and power up to learn some new skills and gain some more strength so that ultimately I can work to make Travis a more prominent character in video game history overall. The skill chips that you saw Travis collecting in Travis Strikes Again's game world, I want Travis to take those with him to the next game, the next numbered installment."

He also looks much slicker than his previous self. Not to mention the shameless nod to the infinity gauntlet-like thing

no_more_heroes_travis_strikes_again_7.jpg

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Grasshopper's twitter last mentioned Let It Die in around April of this year. Kinda strange for a GaaS F2P title. That along with the news that they are only 20 at Grasshopper makes me think that Let It Die is now fully developped at GungHo directly with no involvement from Grasshopper anymore... Maybe this is already known and I'm just OOTL

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that time Suda, of all people, got to speak at the Switch unveil event? Grasshopper's future looks very bright. I can't wait for Travis Strikes Again!

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Suda would definitely be able to fill in a little of that M Rating hole that Nintendo kind of needs, especially concerning exclusives. I love Suda and basically everything that man does, so I'd really love to see him and his team be tight with Nintendo. This find just makes me more hopeful of that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo is going to buy Grasshopper, but they could be turning this into a Bayonetta/Fatal Frame situation where Nintendo will be funding some of Suda's works like the No More Heroes franchise.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nintendi buys them

Has them make no more heroes 3

Then fhey revive muramasas castle

Then no more heroes 4
Then a sequal to the takamaru revival

And so on

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
they lost employees and their capital shrunk that low?

yikes, I hope Travis strikes again is a success for them or i dunno how the hell can grasshopper still exist?
TSA is coming out during a bad time i feel everyone thats into japanese games will be all over kingdom hearts 3, resident evil 2 remake that month

not to mention TSA already kinda alienated people who really liked the original No more heroes by being so...different so indie. =/

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nintendo will not buy them mainly because Nintendo does not like to buy.

Maybe they reach an exclusivity agreement like Next Level Games.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The capital is only 90k USD?
What?

yikes, I hope Travis strikes again is a success for them or i dunno how the hell can grasshopper still exist?
TSA is coming out during a bad time i feel everyone thats into japanese games will be all over kingdom hearts 3, resident evil 2 remake that month

not to mention TSA already kinda alienated people who really liked the original No more heroes by being so...different so indie. =/

Yeah, something big happened in a year. He was still reporting a 50M yen capital in 2017

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
interesting. i think nintendo wants to bayonetta the no more heroes series, with a collection followed by a third game.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's funny that Gungho owns both Grasshopper and Game Arts, two devs I both love and yet nothing great has come out since the buyout.
I'd be up for Nintendo buying Grasshopper from Gungho.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Good thing neither of those are on switch them huh lol

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo is never gonna buy grasshopper, they'll just contract them to do whatever. buying studios is really pointless.

Nov 23, 2017
N
I don't think Nintendo is going to buy Grasshopper, but they could be turning this into a Bayonetta/Fatal Frame situation where Nintendo will be funding some of Suda's works like the No More Heroes franchise.
this is my thinking. Nintendo learned I think with retro not to buy a name. Then again, monolith soft has paid for itself four thousand times over.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Those are some really interesting changes.
As others said, I think it implies more that they'll have a closer relationship (like some other companies) rather than anything else though.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm just glad Grasshopper is still moving and shaking. A closer Nintendo relationship would be cool, but whatever keeps them floating and making weird games is good.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cross-posting between the TSA DLC thread, but I wonder whether or not the "major collaboration" Suda is hinting at is a Nintendo one, and that it'll be revealed in a Direct next January.

Nintendo usually has Directs in the middle of January (by that point we won't have had one since September), and Directs in general are usually on Thursdays. Travis Strikes Again, coincidentally, comes out right in the middle of the month. The final T-shirt collaboration that Suda was talking about was something he said would be "mind blowing", and would be revealed the day before release - a Thursday (January 17th).

I'm thinking it's possible we'll see a general Direct then, where Travis Strikes Again will make another appearance, possibly showing off whatever the major collaboration is, and that it's Nintendo related - since according to him it's a collaboration with a major Japanese developer. (I'm not gonna say it's Smash, but..)