• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
lM3zhDJ.png

"Graveyard Keeper is the most inaccurate medieval cemetery management sim of the year. Build & manage your own graveyard while finding shortcuts to cut costs, expand into entertainment with witch-burning festivals, and scare nearby villagers into attending church. This is a game of capitalism and doing whatever it takes to build a thriving business."

Graveyard Keeper is a graveyard keeping simulation game primarily inspired by Stardew Valley. At the start of the game, the player creates their character, who becomes the recipient of a plot of land including a small graveyard once owned by his predecessor near a small town. The cemetery plot is initially overrun with boulders, trees, stumps, and weeds, and the player must work to clear them in order to restart its operation, tending to graves and even the church so as to generate revenue and bring donations to church coffers. - Wikipedia

Developer: Lazy Bear Games
Publisher: tinyBuild
Platform: PC, Xbox One
Release: August 15, 2018
Genre: Simulation, role-playing
Mode: Single-player

$
FAQ/Tutorials/Help:

How do I save?

The game saves every time you go to sleep, no auto save, so watch out.

How to get the blue points?

Short answer, building glass gives you science, you can buy books from the astrologist which gives you 25 on the spot (I started with that) and studying items is the main way to get science points

How to make headstones and or repair kits?

The best tutorial that I found for this is here, it's a very good guide to get into the game in general and I recommend it because without any plan you can play yourself in small dead ends. I will also post this starter building guide as picture on the very bottom of the posting.

http://coin-drop.com/graveyard-keeper-how-to-build-headstones-repair-kits/

Autopsy Guide/Rating Guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/599140/discussions/0/1696048426809146658/

As quick tip, always extract blood and fat, both gives them extra good skulls, every time, so you can have up to 4 guaranteed.

$
Links:

$
Screenshots:

Graveyard-Keeper-Headstone-Repair-Kit-Guide-Final-Version.png

- OT will be extended later with more informations, tips, links and stuff

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Digging (no pun intended) into this later this week, since i'm probably finishing Rise any time now.
Game looks like it's deeper than i initially though, reading about all the underlying systems made me go "whoa"

Hows performance on a base xbone for all us poorfolk not rocking a X yet out there?

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Digging (no pun intended) into this later this week, since i'm probably finishing Rise any time now.
Game looks like it's deeper than i initially though, reading about all the underlying systems made me go "whoa"

Hows performance on a base xbone for all us poorfolk not rocking a X yet out there?

It has some weird frame lag even on the X. Entirely playable but gives me a headache after awhile.

Super deep and fun.

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Yes it is, couldn't really integrate this into the OT yet but it's impressive how much you can do. You have your graveyard that you can extend and edit and work on, the same with the interior of the church, your basement, the room before the underground dungeon (Yes, underground dungeon), your property with the house on it and your 2 gardens. That's all I know so far.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is on the fence with this game Projared started doing a gameplay series on the game if anyone wants to see the game in action.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Wanted to buy it for the last 3 days but the user-reviews kind of putting me off

- 2 unfinished areas where you just die if you walk into them with no explanation (one of them "the town") with no promise that they will ever be finished
- progression just for progression sake. You just go from material A to B to C to D while not needing any of the intermediate materials for anything else than progression
- no endgame
- massive grind for resources, being a graveyard keeper is just a tiny part of your gameplay

rather unfortunate :/

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wanted to buy it for the last 3 days but the user-reviews kind of putting me off

- 2 unfinished areas where you just die if you walk into them with no explanation (one of them "the town") with no promise that they will ever be finished
- progression just for progression sake. You just go from material A to B to C to D while not needing any of the intermediate materials for anything else than progression
- no endgame
- massive grind for resources, being a graveyard keeper is just a tiny part of your gameplay

I personally love how you have to do B first before you can do C it really adds to the immersion of what you do in the game like cutting wood and doing different things with it. In my opinion it's a positive thing that I don't just have "wood" which I can use for everything, but that I have the tribe and I have to cut it down to different things if I want different things, like using wood blocks for cutting firewood or I make boards out of it with which I can do different things, that's something good. The same with the grind, maybe they have to balance a bit more, I'm not that far yet, but it feels immersive that I have to collect so many things to do stuff out of it, I mean that's part of the game and just because it's deeper and have more layers as in other games like this doesn't automatically mean that it is a bad thing.

This is what I wrote in the Reddit thread about people being disappointing and angry:

"At least on Xbox, I had almost zero bugs so far and the game itself is packed as fuck. You start with cleaning your graveyard, burying new corpses, removing body parts and stuff until you unlock your own church that you can build up and extend and hold your own fair. Cooking is a huge part as well as unlocking a lot of rooms and underground stuff. You can also have your own garden and grow stuff there and sell it and you can have a sword and attack things. You also get a huge underground dungeon and the room before that can also be customized. Like I said, packed as fuck. Yes days are way too fast over and the energy drains like crazy, but that's where cooking comes into play.

Maybe it lacks in the endgame I don't know yet but so far it's way more beefier than any other game in that direction before and it looks amazing. I constantly unlock new shit even after days of playing and I always have at least 3 things in my mind that I want to achieve and do next. Other games in that genre doesn't get even close to this.

This deserves at least the same attention and love as a Stardew Valley, which is also far away from being perfect."

Specially the bold part, I always have stuff to do and stuff I have to do next and it's so much fun to really progress in this game, I don't know how that can be a bad thing to be honest.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017

- no endgame

I'm enjoying it. I played for about 6 hours straight the other day. Maybe these issues will bother me eventually but haven't so far. Also I got it on game pass so I didn't technically pay for the game itself. Maybe if I paid $20 I'd feel differently.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loving the game so far.

It has a really engaging loop and a fun attitude/setting with TONS of story content/questing. Presentation is ace across the board.

The tech-tree is complex & intelligent, constantly giving you something to strive for in a myriad of schools (building, ore processing, food/gardening, theology, alchemy, autopsy, etc.).

The dev is also paying super-close attention to player feedback. Turning the knobs and balancing the game in directions the community is asking for.

Big thumbs up so far.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
I personally love how you have to do B first before you can do C it really adds to the immersion of what you do in the game like cutting wood and doing different things with it. In my opinion it's a positive thing that I don't just have "wood" which I can use for everything, but that I have the tribe and I have to cut it down to different things if I want different things, like using wood blocks for cutting firewood or I make boards out of it with which I can do different things, that's something good. The same with the grind, maybe they have to balance a bit more, I'm not that far yet, but it feels immersive that I have to collect so many things to do stuff out of it, I mean that's part of the game and just because it's deeper and have more layers as in other games like this doesn't automatically mean that it is a bad thing.

This is what I wrote in the Reddit thread about people being disappointing and angry:

"At least on Xbox, I had almost zero bugs so far and the game itself is packed as fuck. You start with cleaning your graveyard, burying new corpses, removing body parts and stuff until you unlock your own church that you can build up and extend and hold your own fair. Cooking is a huge part as well as unlocking a lot of rooms and underground stuff. You can also have your own garden and grow stuff there and sell it and you can have a sword and attack things. You also get a huge underground dungeon and the room before that can also be customized. Like I said, packed as fuck. Yes days are way too fast over and the energy drains like crazy, but that's where cooking comes into play.

Maybe it lacks in the endgame I don't know yet but so far it's way more beefier than any other game in that direction before and it looks amazing. I constantly unlock new shit even after days of playing and I always have at least 3 things in my mind that I want to achieve and do next. Other games in that genre doesn't get even close to this.

This deserves at least the same attention and love as a Stardew Valley, which is also far away from being perfect."

Specially the bold part, I always have stuff to do and stuff I have to do next and it's so much fun to really progress in this game, I don't know how that can be a bad thing to be honest.
Agree completely. Said it much better than I could.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Making hemp rope also gives you blue points. Coming from there I think candles should also award blue points? I'm also going to assume maybe when you start getting into book making or prayer making they also award blue points. But studying gives you ALOT. I unlocked multiple stuff that I had been waiting to unlock for a while as they were only needing 5 or so blue points.

Going to start grape and wine production as that is a money maker.

GTSweet

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Loving this game so far. Probably would have waited if it wasn't for gamepass, but having a great time.

I can see the comparisons to Stardew, but I enjoy the task lists more here. A bit more direction, a bit more micromanaging but it doesn't hold your hand. Very fun for me.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The weird frame rate issue on Xbox One X is making this game unplayable to me. I'm not being hyperbolic, it's literally making my head hurts after a few minutes to the point I have to stop playing because of how it impacts the scrolling. It's very weird, and I hope this gets fixed soon, because on paper, it looks amazing.

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
I want to love this, but the hitchy scrolling and reports of items with no use and references to items/places that don't exist are giving me caution about jumping in now.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Invest points in the gravestones tech tree (rock, marble, etc). When you study those items at the table you will get most of your blue points back and also it helps to get a better graveyard (and more sermon money) faster.

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
The weird frame rate issue on Xbox One X is making this game unplayable to me. I'm not being hyperbolic, it's literally making my head hurts after a few minutes to the point I have to stop playing because of how it impacts the scrolling. It's very weird, and I hope this gets fixed soon, because on paper, it looks amazing.

This 100%. Really liking what I've played so far, but weird frame rate/stuttering issue is keeping me away for now, unfortunately.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
So is this more RPG-like than Stardew in terms of structure and exploration? Does it have the same day-to-day system?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This wasn't on my radar until now, but I'll have to check it out! Loved Stardew and the humorously macabre take on it appeals to me.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I got this on Game Pass and played an hour or two. I have the impulse of building a beautiful graveyard, but I'm finding a few things annoying.

First, the days seem too short, especially considering how far away the village is from the graveyard. Then, some mechanics feel obtuse (like only crafting certain things at certain spots...) and it throws a lot of stuff at you a bit too quickly at first.

And yes, the framerate is ridiculous on a One X. And I wish there was a zoom option, everything is a bit too tiny.

But it seems very enjoyable under those issues and I do want to try understanding it better.

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, NY
I would recommend having the official wiki accessible when playing since it will make it easier to look up requirements for buildings and items.
https://graveyardkeeper.gamepedia.com/Graveyard_Keeper_Wiki

I think the base game is great and assuming they keep patching, the game will be substantially more seamless down the road. I think addressing blue point progression and lack of guidance in-game how to get those points will go a long way.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Was wondering why the other thread went completely dark, expected to see a link to here in that thread.

Ah well, game is still fun but I'm starting to feel the grind of trying to accumulate the blue points and get my graveyard rating higher. Just a slow consistent process for me.

Also might wanna change the FAQ since glass no longer gives blue points due to ppl exploiting it.

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, NY
Encountered 2 frustrating bugs that ended up losing like an hour or so of progress so a heads up:

1. My character froze in place right after I switched in and out of Xbox guide quickly. Had to force close

2. If after sleeping, your 'save in progress" icon does not disappear, QUIT RIGHT THERE. I thought it was a visual glitch that wouldn't affect anything but I kept playing and future sleep saves were lost

There's a reason they added some save backup option for the pc version so tread carefully!

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, NY
PSA: Graveyard Keeper was updated on Xbox about a week ago and is almost version equivalent to the PC version. Most of the major progress-killing bugs have been fixed and the game is more playable, but still a ways to go.

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
PSA: Graveyard Keeper was updated on Xbox about a week ago and is almost version equivalent to the PC version. Most of the major progress-killing bugs have been fixed and the game is more playable, but still a ways to go.
Is the frameskipping gone from the Xbox version? I loved the game but it was super cumbersome to look at.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this for the last 3 days. Probably about 6 hours per day. The last day it has been lagging or just straight up frame rate goes to 0 for 5 seconds. Music keeps playing but whole screen freezes. Then starts again.....every 30 seconds. Anyone else have this?

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, NY
Is the frameskipping gone from the Xbox version? I loved the game but it was super cumbersome to look at.
I paid more attention to this and it's definitely still there but it's more like stuttering from time to time than straight up pause followed by catch-up frames. Not as bad but still frustrating.

I've been playing this for the last 3 days. Probably about 6 hours per day. The last day it has been lagging or just straight up frame rate goes to 0 for 5 seconds. Music keeps playing but whole screen freezes. Then starts again.....every 30 seconds. Anyone else have this?
Haven't seen anything like this? Is this PC version you're on?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Version 1.030 on Xbox One fixed the stutter, camera movement is now very smooth :)

EDIT: It's even 60 FPS on X now.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So hows the dungeon delving element compared to Stardew? Better or about the same?

I know its not the main appeal of these games and just a side bit but I love me some Rune Factory.

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, NY
So hows the dungeon delving element compared to Stardew? Better or about the same?

I know its not the main appeal of these games and just a side bit but I love me some Rune Factory.
I haven't played Stardew Valley but the general sentiment with GK is that the dungeon is nothing to write home about. It's not too challenging or exciting, most times I've had to exit because I had too many items and didn't want to have to leave anything behind. I guess you could argue it's a nice distraction from the rest of the game's flow and for better or worse, you have to go through it for story reasons I believe.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
I paid more attention to this and it's definitely still there but it's more like stuttering from time to time than straight up pause followed by catch-up frames. Not as bad but still frustrating.

Haven't seen anything like this? Is this PC version you're on?

Xbox one X. I haven't played since I posted that. Been playing Spiderman in my free time. I will check again today perhaps.

Edit: Tried it last night with remote play and it seemed much better.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel like this is one of the best PC RPG's of the last few years. Hooked.

I am about four hours in, and I feel like something deeply sinister is going on here.....

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, NY
I lost my sermon somehow. Is there any other way to earn faith?
It's been months since I played but from what I remember:
1. You can buy prayers from the bishop when he is outside
2. You can craft prayers using one of the workbenches in the science area

Are you sure you lost the sermon? I know there were some items that were hard to get rid of, wonder if that was one of them.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's been months since I played but from what I remember:
1. You can buy prayers from the bishop when he is outside
2. You can craft prayers using one of the workbenches in the science area

Are you sure you lost the sermon? I know there were some items that were hard to get rid of, wonder if that was one of them.

I started over. Kept the sermon on my person this time. In about 25% of the time I advanced further than I had before.

I could never regain the sermon before. I think they need to make sermons abilities and not possessions. It would be an elegant solution.

Edit: and no, the Bishop does not sell prayers. At least not in tier 1. Also I truly have no idea what happened to it. I looked everywhere. Maybe in some boneheaded moment I sold it to the Bishop?

Last edited:

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody playing this on Switch or PS4? The PS4 version says that it released on June 27th but I guess it also released back in April?

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
60% off on Steam Winter Sale 2010 - Ends Jan 3rd 2020
store.steampowered.com

Graveyard Keeper on Steam

Build and manage a medieval graveyard while facing ethical dilemmas and making questionable decisions. Welcome to Graveyard Keeper, the most inaccurate medieval cemetery sim of the year.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So, after a friend pestered me a bit, I tried it out. It is quite the hidden gem (though it does suffer from a few issues, and I lost quite a lot of time initially by not taking care of the corpses in my morgue). Thoughts on the DLCs, including the one which just came out?

I'm a bit baffled that there is no possibility to craft multiple items of higher quality in a row, unlike common items. The extra tediousness kinda sours the gameplay experience. I'm not the only one disappointed by this, from what I saw online.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
My wife has put 50 hours into this game plus 100+ in Stardew Valley. She likes the management part but also the quests, which makes me believe that she wouldn't dig a simulation-only game (e.g. Game Dev, tycoon games, etc). Loved this game, what other should she try?

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
My wife has put 50 hours into this game plus 100+ in Stardew Valley. She likes the management part but also the quests, which makes me believe that she wouldn't dig a simulation-only game (e.g. Game Dev, tycoon games, etc). Loved this game, what other should she try?
My Time at Portia should be what you're looking for. Or maybe Slime Rancher or Ooblets when it's finished.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting this game in the next Winter Steam sale (or if it won't go on sale, post-Christmas) and I've been reading how grindy the game is. How bad is it and did they improve its balance in future patches?

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
bumping because I'm wondering the same question as the post above. the game is currently on sale on eShop.

edit: but the DLC packs are not and you need DLC for the zombies stuff.

Last edited: