• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people demanded "more things to do" and secondary missions after the first game, and they answered... not very well. Some ill conceived mechanics, a mind-boggling obession with stealth, the difficulty was too harsh sometimes (remember that frisbee mission) for what should be some funny/cute interlude between main missions and give people excuses to fly around.

Still, loved the game to bits, one of my favourites this gen.

Deleted member 14438

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really liked both games, despite some flaws. I actually started by disliking the first one on the Vita, because I found the controls not very good, but when the remastered came out, I couldn't put it down until I finished, all challenges and DLC included. The second one I think improved some parts, but the story was a bit messy.
But this scene makes it all worthy:

This reminds me I still have to play the DLC for GR2...
Also, screw Sony for not advertising this game properly

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It is a really good game and a damn good sequel, but for some reason I ended up liking the first one the most. I guess it has to do with the game missions feeling more condensed and shorter.

I'm surprised Sony even greenlighted a sequel and they didn't bother to market the game, specially for a game developed for nearly 5 years, its kinda shocking.

Last edited:

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
Are people really thinking that the game lack of success is due to technical issues? The game could have solved all supposed issues mentioned here and it still won't succeed commercially for one simple reason: it's a niche game. Do you think the average consumer who plays GTA, COD, Assassin's Creed, etc... Would care about a blonde cute anime girl that flies? Probably not. Just like how okami on ps2 sold only 270,000 copies and viewtiful joe on ps2 sold only 46,000. Great games but sadly people see the covers or only just the first 10 minutes and think these games are for 9 years old kids when these games are so much better and highly praised.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. It's one of the most underrated games of the generation.

This. I feel in love with the game and played it until I got the platinum. Gravity Rush 2 marketing or lack thereof is the issue here. Nobody knew it was coming out outside of the faithful and so nobody bought it. But the game itself is an absolute blast. Easily one of the better games of this generation.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Just the other day a friend of mine who bought them both recommended the first one and said that the second is a straight up terrible

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Too many missions had fail states and even when they had a cool gimmick they streched it out for too long. It's still a very cool game though.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
It is a really good game and a damn good sequel, but for some reason I ended up liking the first one the most. I guess it has to do with the game missions feeling more condensed and shorter.

I'm surprised Sony even greenlighted a sequel and they didn't bother to market the game, specially for a game developed for nearly 5 years, its kinda shocking.

Not really that shocking: they did the same thing with Vita.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Platinumed the first Gravity Rush and was my favorite Vita game. Gravity Rush 2 was my most disappointing game of 2017. That game felt uninspired and boring. Completely agree with the mission structure being terrible. I wouldn't even recommend it to my friends. I just tell them to play the first one.
Sadly, this is where i'm at.

GR1 was a great, dense package.
GR2, having dropped the shackles of the Vita version, increased scale, but imho to the detriment of the overall product.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
I really don't get this forum at all....

one week we have a thread saying the game is on sale for <$10 and how everyone highly recommends the game and how much of a steal it is for the quality the game priovides.

few weeks later we have threads like this saying how much of a disappointment the game is and wouldn't recommend it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Absolutely loved the first one (Got the platinum on both Vita and PS4) but the second just didnt click with me.

The leveling system was worse, taking much longer to unlock abilities and it made the early game much worse because of it. Ended up only playing for around 5-7 hours i think before moving onto something else.

Oct 31, 2017
Gravity Rush 2's traversal is incredible. Diving and freefalling into another area or breaking the sound barrier with a jolting shift up high all feel great. I didn't use fast travel much because why?

I think adding more side missions after the first mostly just had time trials (aside from the DLC) was a good idea, but half the side missions could have been cut simply for not being good. Some were fun. Ex: I loved lifting people up and throwing them to some vendor to get him business. It was a lot of fun to use the slide mechanic and to do it in that hilarious way cracked me up. Other insta-fail "stealth" missions needed to go.

Overall, it's a good game, but it does have very noticeable flaws. If you are able to avoid the bad side missions, you can have a really good time.

I really don't get this forum at all....

one week we have a thread saying the game is on sale for <$10 and how everyone highly recommends the game and how much of a steal it is for the quality the game priovides.

few weeks later we have threads like this saying how much of a disappointment the game is and wouldn't recommend it.

Different people saying things. =P

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Stealth mission is shit, but I don't remember there being that many of them.

It's crazy how many people lamented the mission designs when your usual AAA open world missions aren't any better at all.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: "Lazy Devs" Rhetoric. Please review our FAQ.
What other superhero game this year with bad/lazy mission design and insta-fail stealth sections received critical acclaim? HMMMMMM

edit: lmao at that warning, the purpose of the OP is knocking bad/lazy mission design?

Last edited:

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
My barrier to entry was no 60fps option. A game about traversal feeling janky in motion (to me) just put me off. I love the concept and hope they revisit it.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The game is really beautiful with its stunning visuals and art direction. It has one of the best soundtracks of the generation, its gameplay is really fun and story is cool. Many characters are really charismatic, and has one of the best main characters of the generation. Even if a few things were better in the first one, it's a really awesome game.

I'm pretty sure that with a big marketing push this game would have been a huge success.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The stealth missions while being poor, are completely overstated and exaggerated in their difficulty and number. There are only a few in the game and they are relatively easy.

I think if you go into Gravity Rush, 1 or 2, expecting a typical super hero fantasy, you are going to be disappointed. Toyoma has a history of working with survival horror games and that pedigree is apparent in GR ; which in many ways, while it is a "super-hero game", is a subversion of the genre with its emphasis on removing control from the player (like survival horror games). Even the ability to shift gravity is a wholly clunky experience in concept, let alone gameplay. You simply fall in one direction. It isn't graceful, even if it is fun to use. These are intentional design decisions that are reflected through other means be it through ancillary gameplay, story, and thematic elements.

The game is really beautiful with its stunning visuals and art direction. It has one of the best soundtracks of the generation, its gameplay is really fun and story is cool. Many characters are really charismatic, and has one of the best main characters of the generation. Even if a few things were better in the first one, it's a really awesome game.

I'm pretty sure that with a big marketing push this game would have been a huge success.

I don't think this is true. It may not have flopped the way it did, but GR was never going to be a huge success. It's too niche of a title with characters and gameplay concepts that go against the grain of typical AAA game development. It was always going to maintain a cult status.

That said, while I'm thankful we even got a proper sequel to a Vita exclusive title on better hardware, I don't feel Sony did enough to market it. It didn't warrant a huge push but shit at least give it a mention at your E3 conference. GR2 was just kind of there with a booth but don't said very little about it. They did market it in Japan where it did relatively well, tho.

Last edited:

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
I'm also part of the crowd that favours the first over the second. I loved gravity rush remastered so much that I platinumed it - the first (and still only) time I've done that. the game obviously had its quirks and limitations, especially around mission design, but ultimately really endeared itself to me for its charm, both in mechanics (I love good traversal) and especially in art direction and character design. it's a cute, modest, neat little game. I loved the fin de siecle stylings of hekseville, comic art, the general atmosphere

2 is also charming when it wants to be, with the beautiful vibrant sunny colour of Jirga Para Lhao, which sometimes feels distinctly more southern-asian than the franco-german hekseville, but boy the gameplay. things just become such a slog. the mission design really, really lets this game down and turns it into a slog. the story also wasn't strong enough to forgive this, which places too much burden on the art and free roam alone. couple that with the irritating online mechanics which were shut off relatively soon after release, pointlessly and unnecessarily blocking off some aesthetic items forever after the fact - in a game where I would argue aesthetics matter - and the annoyances just started overpowering the charm that had brought me in. I dropped off in the summer with the dumb online thing feeling I had to grind for dusty tokens, resenting being made to feel that way after the missions had already lost me too

it's such a pity because they clearly had an artistic vision but not a mechanical one; the entire gravity rush issue feels like a really fun central mechanic and wonderful style being unfulfilled by a team that couldn't 'find' what to do with it, so we're stuck with very uninspired ps2-feeling mission and challenge design that goes by the numbers. I still think there's a wonderful game to be found and made there,, one that could grow from the tiny niche the series currently holds - but, I think we all sadly expect that gravity rush as a franchise is as good as dead for the foreseeable future granted how sony treated 2's release. the lack of confidence was transparent. RIP kat </3

but hey, with toyama free maybe we'll get to see a new siren?

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Well, i bought both games when they were on sale in 2017. Only played the first though and didn't finish it. I had problems with the gameplay and the mission design. Collecting trash just isn't a very exciting task and having to use her powers to do it made it all the more annoying. I loved the characters though and the way the story was told in a comic like way. The world was also very fascinating. But yeah, after playing it i didn't have any desire to start the sequel.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

For me this game was a massive dissapointment after the first one, which i considered fantastic on both platforms.

The mission design and pace is really uneven (im actually surprised they didnt follow the formula of the first game), with activities that don't add anything of value to the development of the character and just feel like bad filler content.

And funny enough,
they continued the final story chapter of the first game with a piece of dlc instead of with the main game.

I wasnt convinced by the videos they were showing during the development of the game, and after purchasing it pressured by the closure of the online mode, i wasnt convinced by the game itself.

Probably the worst sequel (that wasnt broken) to a game i've played this generation.

Last edited:

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To criticize mission design you need to buy and play the game first.

This is only really true if you pretend like word of mouth isn't a thing. It also can be applied to literally any criticism of any game ever. "To criticise the bugs in FO76 you need to buy and play the game first, so FO76 didn't bomb because it was a buggy mess of a game".

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
While I personally enjoy the game, I can see why others wouldn't, but I think a lot of this came from the fact that Sony hardly promoted it. It's like Square Enix wondering why Dragon Quest XI didn't sell well in the West. Like, unless you know about Dragon Quest, or follow people who would talk about Dragon Quest, you'd probably never hear about it. It's the same with Gravity Rush, but the word of mouth coming out for it comes from an even more niche market.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I recommended the first game to everyone I could but held off on the second. To take such a wondrous traversal system and neuter it with stealth and platforming missions is just mindboggling. It should be about freedom in the skies as a contrast to the highly depressing and controlled life on the islands but it simply doesn't play to its strengths. Still love Kat though, and 2BKat is the best crossover.

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you're 100% right. I love Gravity Rush, I love Kat, I love the music, I love the world, I love everything about this game... But actually playing it.

The missions are such a chore to play, they're boring and they barely take advantage of the skillset they have given you. The only good mission I can think of is the one where you raid the air base.

I tried so hard to love this game and I just couldn't. I wish the team had another crack at it because I absolutely adore the world of Gravity Rush.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I did not like the first that much, and disliked the second even more because of the awful story missions, I do remember Sony did not show a trailer at E3, yet put out a trailer 20 minutes after their conference ended. Fuck Sony for doing that, this is the best time to make people aware of this game, but I guess it just wasn't good enough to show a 1:34 long trailer at their conference.

It still pisses me off to this day.

Yeah, Sony butchered this wonderful game.
Turning off the servers so soon after release was just another slap in the face.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This thread probably won't end well with how many people on ERA advocate for this game.
Nah, I think people advocating Gravity Rush are well aware of it's shortcoming. At least I do. It's like some people can tolerate euro jank and genuinely like some of thise low budget euro rpg

GR have their very japanese jank as well. It just that some of us think the game bring something refreshing along with it. The artstyle, world, lore, characters are all so charming that we wish more people played them.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
This is only really true if you pretend like word of mouth isn't a thing. It also can be applied to literally any criticism of any game ever. "To criticise the bugs in FO76 you need to buy and play the game first, so FO76 didn't bomb because it was a buggy mess of a game".
There's a difference in terms of audience and word of mouth between Gravity Rush and Fallout, come on.
Word of mouth doesn't impact much a game not many people know about in the first place.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference in terms of audience and word of mouth between Gravity Rush and Fallout, come on.
Word of mouth doesn't impact much a game not many people know about in the first place.

It absolutely does. Minecraft and PUBG are two big examples of games that grew to being the biggest games on the planet almost entirely based on word of mouth. All the big marketing campaigns and merch came after they exploded. Not to mention smaller games like Undertale, Super Meat Boy, Flappy Bird. Hell think of basically any very successful indie game, marketing had very little to do with their initial success.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from a game design standpoint it isn't the greatest. Many missions don't really utilize the game's strengths and it absolutely will turn off a lot of people. If they managed to make the core gameplay loop as interesting and enjoyable to play as it could potentially be, I think the game would have done a lot better.

As it stands, it's a really awesome world with great characters, beautiful art, fantastic music, and awesome mechanics. I love it, but definitely not for everyone.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
GR2 strikes me as a sequel that was made heavily with the existing fans in mind and the belief that more content meant better game.
It carries over all the issues of the original title, doesn't really try to fix them outside of a smattering of small combat tweaks that still don't really stop things from devolving into samey-ness (but still, props to stasis being more useful).
The new styles are neat but spread too far apart, by the time I finally got the last new style I was also done with the game (not helped that the mission where you pick it up is infamous for its craptacular design and camera woes).
Actually hang on, I was done just a bit later doing another stealth mission with zero context for enemy visibility.

I'm hard pressed to think of a game that tries to handicap itself as much as this one, what should've been a surefire improved sequel just bloats itself down with flat out poor mission design to boot.
In the end I advocate for the original title more.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I gotta disagree, I think the fault lies in 1) an inherently niche game and 2) Sony not pushing it because of that. It was an improvement over the first in pretty much every single way, except maybe soundtrack.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It is strange. On paper I should like GR2 more but I didn't. I beat and enjoyed 1.
2 just didn't grab me and eventually put it down and didn't return.
I think part of it may be it's a long distance to markers, the story didn't seem to be grabbing me either, at least it was going slow, and really the pace for getting new powers was slow, I can't even remember if I got any, maybe the heavy style?

I think I will want to try picking it up again, but yeah lack of marketting and even when I got it I wasn't grabbed enough to finish it really.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why do non stealth games insist on stealth sections? It's hard enough to make a good stealth game.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
The first one had a cool art design. Combat was bad, enemy design was poor, and story was also blah. It was, however, an acceptable game only because Vita did not have very many big games for it, and Gravity Rush was a showcase for it.

Gravity Rush 2 went to a more successful console, and thus would be buried among much better games. I bought the first, didnt even think about buying the second one. It was on sale a few days ago, maybe even yesterday for like $3.99. I thought about getting it, but then decided against it, because I know I would never play it. it would just sit in my library as my backlog, not to mention new games coming out is more enticing than a mediocre at best game.

It would have had more light shining on it as a Vita title, a console Sony abandoned far too early.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good game for the most part... My issue is that nearly half the game involves stealth missions in a game that was never expected to really have that. GR1 had a total of one stealth mission and that was it.
I plat'd the first on both Vita and PS4, but I just couldn't bother to get those last couple of trophies in GR2 -- despite even finishing every challenge mission.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
It's a good game. I love traversing the world and using my gravity shifting powers.

What I don't like are the side missions. They are awful. Specially that one in which you need to find a dog's disc and then throw the disc around.

I haven't finished the game because I have this awful idea in my head that I can't continue the main story until I clear all of the sidequests that appear after a main story mission. After a story mission, there are like 3 or 4 sidequests that unlock and most of them are simply awful.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care much for the stealth missions, but other than that I had a blast with the game. I like the gravity shifting mechanic too much not to. I can't get enough of Kat, the world, the soundtrack.

Combat-wise, sticking to projectile launch makes it much easier and fun, even though I love to land a we'll placed, high speed kick :)

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is very little about the Grabity Rush games that is actually appealing beyond an aesthetic level. The gameplay had always been mediocre to just plain bad. I think Sony realized this with Gravity rush 2 and just gave up on marketing it, only letting the team complete it to satisfy a few dedicated fans and to not shut down one of Studio Japan's only in-house original projects this generation.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I love the world, I love the art, I love Cat.

I hate how the game plays.
This. I bought both games because I like Sony's AA games (more than their AAA games) like Bloodborne (I know that From developed the game), but never finished the first one. The gameplay is not good at all considering how the game is focused on gameplay over graphics/story.