• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've never really understood how people could love the first game and hate the second. I feel like 2 makes 1 obsolete since it improves on it in basically every way. I don't think I'll ever go back to the first one just because I'll be wishing I could do the things you could do in the sequel the whole time.

I never said "hate"... the sequel just didn't make stuff better.. it did stuff differently, and not better (IMO).. added stuff that didn't improve on the formula.. and it outstayed it´s welcome.. the game is WAY WAY WAY to long..

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
I adored the first game but the second game kinda rubbed me the wrong way, and then the things I heard about it weren't too promising. I should still give it a chance though really, I just have other games to get to.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
It's alright. I liked the first one, but the sequel is hurt severely by its excruciatingly bad mission design. It brings the whole experience down.

There are a few good side quests, but they are hidden behind a lot of boring ones.

Music is still great, falling in various directions and collecting gems is fun, but that's about it. The game shies away from giving you freedom of movement in its missions and that's counterproductive to the idea of being a superhero.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Thread backfire. The games always felt like tech demos, the mission design is especially basic and repetitive. The gravity concept is cool on paper but isn't enough in itself.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I bought it day 1 but haven't touched it yet. :/

Speaking of servers, is there really no other in-game way anymore to unlock the talisman?!
The treasures still appear on the map and I believe they still give you Dusty Tokens, but you'll never find them without a guide.

Thread backfire. The games always felt like tech demos, the mission design is especially basic and repetitive. The gravity concept is cool on paper but isn't enough in itself.
Well I know it's a divisive game :P

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the first game in this recent sale, so when I finish it I will buy this one... and if my backlog allow me.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really understood how people could love the first game and hate the second. I feel like 2 makes 1 obsolete since it improves on it in basically every way. I don't think I'll ever go back to the first one just because I'll be wishing I could do the things you could do in the sequel the whole time.

The visuals, music, movement, and story are fantastic in 2.

What ruins it are the missions. Some of them were a complete frustrating mess. And I'm not even talking about the stealth ones.

Nov 17, 2017
I never said "hate"... the sequel just didn't make stuff better.. it did stuff differently, and not better (IMO).. added stuff that didn't improve on the formula.. and it outstayed it´s welcome.. the game is WAY WAY WAY to long..
I disagree. I think it did improve a lot.

The main issue with the first game was how easy and repetitive it was. You essentially went through the entire game just gravity kicking everything. Every battle in the game was just gravity kicking, readjusting yourself and then lining up for another gravity kick. 2 improves this greatly by adding the two new Gravity Styles that change up Kat's moveset. It also gave us enemies that acted differently and needed different strategies to beat making the gravity styles more needed. You had to think and use different moves instead of just kicking over and over. Stasis Throw is now an actual viable move to use. Stasis was janky and never really worked in the first game. You definitely can't say that wasn't a straight up improvement.

I think the gravity styles also made moving around more fun. You don't just gravity shift everywhere, Lunar is super fun and lets you move around really quickly. The levels are more open and vertical too which makes moving around them more engaging. I felt like the areas in GR1 were much too small for the abilities Kat had. I always felt cramped. I guess that's the result of the game being a Vita title. I played it on PS4 so it just felt far to small for what it was trying to do. I also think it was way too short. I beat it in two sittings and it felt like it was over before it even began compared to the second. GR2 was the perfect length for me.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game (GR2) looks graphically amazing. But the whole gibberish language is a complete turn off and from what I remember of the demo the controls felt weird. I can't speak on its story.

GR2 has the look I've been waiting for when it comes to a 'anime style'. Give the next game simple controls, a english dub and I'll most likely be on it Day 1.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I never played 2. Did they improve the combat from the first game?

The first game had hints of a great game but the combat wasn't fun and the world felt lifeless.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I want to caveat my post by saying that I platinumed the original on Vita, its remaster on PS4, and the PS4 sequel. I put my time into each and every one of them. (The Vita and PS4 platinums were separated by years, and indeed, I played GRR as a refresher maybe a month or two before the sequel landed).

These games sucked, IMO. They are beautiful, gorgeous, poorly crafted collections of fetch quests stitched together by a borderline incoherent story. The second, in particular, offends me for having important things play out off-screen in stills and cutscenes while major set pieces are usually just waves of baddies occasionally topped off by a larger baddy. Or two. The only exception to this is at the very end of the second game, where the main conflict devolves into an anime body horror moment.

It had a lot of unique ideas, and flaws and mistakes that were kind of justifiable in an ambitious, open-world near-launch Vita title that just become unforgivable on a much powerful and more mature home console. GR2 also really angered me in that it took a protagonist I honestly loved in the first game and turned her into a complete punching bag. There was an element of this in the original, but it got ratcheted up to 11 in the sequel. It became downright uncomfortable to witness after a while.

GR2 has some minor refinements to controls and mechanics, but learned absolutely nothing from the original's mistakes. The combat, what passes for platforming, the mission design, and the open-world design are all just as dull and shallow as the first game's, and occasionally worse in some instances. And while the first game's story has a certain amount of charm and an air of mystery, the second's is just a disjointed mess topped off by a very unsatisfying conclusion. I think they knew they weren't going to get a third shot, but they still failed to stick the landing. GR2 also delighted in taking away your powers for too many side and main missions, highlighting further the flaws in the game's controls, platforming, and other mechanics. GR1 is a better and mercifully shorter experience, in almost all respects, IMO.

I'm sorry to say it, because I wanted to love these games so much. But in my opinion, they are extremely poorly crafted games with a lovely art style, gorgeous music, and unforgivable amounts of both jank and junk comprising the majority of my play time. There was an idea there desperately looking for a good game to realize it, and after 3 (I suppose 2.5) strikes, they're out. They both had atrocious DLC, too.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly one of the cases that bigger doesn't mean better (both in gameplay and story).

Still good but aside of being a kick-spam fest, 1 was more enjoyable in all levels.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
2 was boring. I appreciate what it did and tried to do but by hour 20-25 or so I was ready for it to end.... waaaaay too long.

Robotnik

Nov 3, 2017
I had such a unique experience playing the first game. I would sit in my office chair and spin around, using the Vita's gyroscope functionality to control Kat as she flung through the air. It was an awesome and singular experience that I likely won't see replicated. In addition to the somewhat lazy mission design of the sequel, lacking that feature made it significantly less fun to play. It's a shame because there really isn't anything else quite like how I played the first. Really loved it.

Nov 17, 2017
I did try the demo for this, but I just could not wrap my head around the control scheme (change gravity etc)
I should probably try it some more. The movement actually reminds me of how coinshots move in the Mistborne novel series :)
What helped me understand the controls is the fact that Kat can't fly, she falls... with style. She's basically being pulled in the direction you choose. Since Kat doesn't fly, she can't move in an arc or curve. She can only move in a straight line and then you shift where "down" is so that she falls in a different direction in a straight line. So it's like the world is a box and you are twisting and turning the box to make her fall in different directions.

It takes a few minutes of messing around but eventually you should get the rhythm of tapping the button once to suspend Kat and then tapping it again to make her fall in the direction the camera is facing. Like, suspend > turn > fall > suspend > turn > fall. Once you get use to it, you can do it really fast or mix up the order like turning the camera as you're falling and then just double tap so Kat starts falling in your new direction without having to do the slow suspend > turn > fall.

The visuals, music, movement, and story are fantastic in 2.

What ruins it are the missions. Some of them were a complete frustrating mess. And I'm not even talking about the stealth ones.
There were a few annoying ones but most were optional and even though I did them all, I didn't feel like the bad ones were enough to make it a bad game. Another thing is a lot of the missions added to the world building and Kat's character. Even some of the ones that didn't have much going on gameplay wise were enjoyably charming because of the story they told.

I never played 2. Did they improve the combat from the first game?

The first game had hints of a great game but the combat wasn't fun and the world felt lifeless.
It's a lot more fun in my opinion. They diversified Kat's moveset so that you aren't just doing the same kick over and over. They also made Stasis Throw much better so that you can actually use it. The enemies are more diverse too, you aren't just fighting the same Nevi every time.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sadly, it's another example of where gamers say they want interesting SP only games... and then they don't buy those games and they die.

I Platinum'd both GR's, loved them both. GR2 did have unnecessary padding with its repetitive side quests, and the stealth mechanic sucked, though thankfully it was only used sparingly. Both games have a ton of charm.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this game bored me to tears...and the missions just sucked, stealth missions in a movement based game where you can fly around and too much chatter...looks great but this is all there is to this game.

i don´t think GR2 is "overlooked" there were even raving reviews that gave 9s to this game. it is just not very interesting to play...
imho the whole GR series never reaches its potential and falls into the "it´s just there" category

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
OP dropping facts. The only better game this gen is probably the Witcher 3. GR2 is a masterpiece. I'm always befuddled by the sentiment that 1 is better because 2 improves on 1 in just about every metric. Gravity Rush 1 is a good game, 2 is phenomenal.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree vehemently that the diversified moveset did much to improve the game. It was never required, and usually a hassle.
GR1 was Gravity Kick the Game. GR2 was Gravity Kick 2 the Game until you got the Teleport Kick, then it became Teleport Kick the Game.
Sure, both games had more moves available than that (especially 2), but when the combat is so shallow and so bad, you wind up fast-tracking it as much as possible. And in both games, that means the kicks. Stasis is indeed more useful in GR2 than in GR1, where it was borderline useless. So I guess in that respect, we saw a slight improvement in GR2. Way less of an improvement than a sequel should have had, mind you. The core combat experience is still shallow and boring, through and through. And Stasis was still annoying in more geometrically complex areas, since half the time, your ammo would just shatter against walls or other obstacles. Which left you kicking.

JUNGLEGAMER

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
I disagree. The game is good and has cool ideas but imo the missions are quite repetitive and the controls are beyond frustrating...

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The atmosphere, music, designs, and art style are amazing, but the gameplay is only okay. First half was sooooo slow. Story is also only okay. The last chapter felt a lot like they were forcing what should been a trilogy into two games.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Map is bigger, somethign that is not necessary bad, but there's to many wasted space with nothing on it. Phara Lao looks amazing but there's a lot of wasted place when you fly from slumps to center to rich area. Add to that Hekseville being separated too.

Flawed mission design, including stealth missions that not only blocks you from using the meat of the game (Kat powers), they go against what a stealth misison should be by how little margin of error and alternatives you have.

Mining sites are a total downgrade from 1's Rifts.

Weird pacing, with the story fragmented in 3 parts. The game also feels like they had parts of GR2, 3 and 4 mixed into one, adding the feeling of the story having a lot of bloat. Story is also a colossal mess going full bad anime towards the end. The more intimate story of 1 worked better IMO.

Combat is indeed better in 2, not being a gravity kick spam-fest is enough to make it better.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the camera is somehow worse in 2.

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
2 improves this greatly by adding the two new Gravity Styles that change up Kat's moveset. It also gave us enemies that acted differently and needed different strategies to beat making the gravity styles more needed. You had to think and use different moves instead of just kicking over and over. .

Eh, the game wants you to think that you'll be put in situations where one style would be more beneficial than the other, but that is not true except for the broken missions where these new styles get introduced and you're forced to use them. The worst mission in the entire game, which somehow got past testing, was the one where you acquire the third style and have to deal with the shaky camera in a crumbling cave.

The levels are more open and vertical too which makes moving around them more engaging. I felt like the areas in GR1 were much too small for the abilities Kat had. I always felt cramped.

I liked the areas in 1 because at first, I was terrible at traversal. The more I played though and the more challenges I did, it was becoming easier to cut corners around buildings. And that was really satisfying to me, mastering the traversal and putting that into proper use.

Statis Throw was definitely mproved with the sequel though.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of vision, I feel like this game has some of the best art, music, and world design in years.

That said I kinda do agree with others who didn't like the missions, even if I enjoyed all the new mechanics and how awesome it is to travel around with the Lunar style.

I'll miss this series - I hope it gets another chance one day.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played it and hated it.
  1. Still has multiple stealth missions including side missions with stealth. Having to trail people for several minutes is also terrible.
  2. Boring side missions that take forever. You fly around waiting for the next mark to go to.
  3. Forces you to use a certain style at certain times instead of allowing you to freely use what you feel like.
  4. Terrible camera, "lock-on" system and hit detection
  5. Bigger but empty world. Flying across the cities becomes a chore
  6. Fighting certain boss fights by being forced to use one style, causing rage.
  7. Terrible jumping mechanics. Certain missions restrict you from using your powers.
I wish I knew how to contact the devs just to let them know how much their game sucks.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
Enjoyed it enough to finish it. They thankfully had the good sense to finish up the plot at the end of 2 (how well that was actually done im not sure of as i cant what happened). Sums both games up, unique but kind of forgettable.

Have there ever been talks of a thrid game?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I personally find the traversal more fulfilling than Spider-Man. Both games feel brilliant to move around in but whereas Spidey can oftentimes feel automatic, falling with Kat is always exhilarating, it feels boundless.
I wish I knew how to contact the devs just to let them know how much their game sucks.
Are you ok?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
All the criticism for both of these rings true, and the sequel didn't really address issues from the first, but know this, concerned reader:

There's nothing else quite like them, and they're the best they were probably ever going to be

They're the closest any games have come to being like Kiki's Delivery Service.

Tried the demo and couldn't stand the 30fps.

The first game remastered is 60 fyi

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you are my hero.

In any other year but 2017 this would have been my GotY. "Sadly" Yakuza 0 happened.

The traversel and atmosphere is unreal in GR2.
And the gameplay sans one really bad main mission (due to the camera) is excellent and fun.

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first game but I couldn't play anymore of the second. The mission designs felt worse and even the main story missions felt like sidequests in design. And the stealth mission is just ill advised to do. It seemed to lean more into combat without making enough improvements to make it more fun and it was just another strike against it to me. Doubt I can ever go back to completing. it.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played and loved 1 on the Vita. It was my favorite game on the console and I finished it at a time when I really needed something just like it, for real world reasons.

2 disappointed me by abandoning the Vita, but I still went ahead and got it. I played it for a little bit, but ended up putting it down not too far in because instead of beautiful cities in the sky, I was bouncing around mines, ruins, and some sort of low height structure that seemed almost deliberately calculated to make the game's movement suboptimal. It also came with a cliched humbling of the main character and removal from her previous cast.

I didn't get hooked, but I know I barely gave it a chance and I desperately want a reason to do so. Just how much better does it get and just how much farther does it take the narrative? To be more blunt, is the rest of the game absolutely nothing like the painful start?

Edit: Can the costumes be acquired another way now that the online is gone?

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It has a fantastic visual style and soundtrack but I found everything else about it to be terribly uninteresting. It also just refuses to end at a certain point and continues to drag on for another 5 hours.

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a solid 7.5-8/10 with a shit ton of charm. Definitely an improvement on the first, although the missions feel like they were constrained by the Vita even though they werent. Kat is such a great character, she really feels like a real girl in her personality. If someone showed me how you could fall off the edge in GR2 and land in a-whole-nother-fucking city when I was a kid I would have SHAT my pants. Definitely underrated.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
So, I really enjoyed Gravity Rush 1, but not enough to buy the sequel day 1. When half of Gravity Rush fans say the original is better, it doesn't make the sequel feel like a must-play. Especially considering the chance that, as a first party title, it'll go to PS Plus at some point.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was just ok. I never finished it though.......the stealth sections sucked the life out of me. They were AWFUL!