• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The reverse of that other thread.

Personally, I have to go with Breath of the Wild. I've never been able to get out of my head the imagery of some wild beast breathing its disgusting breath on you.

1fKMIWE.png

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the games revealed at last year's Game Awards had terrible names.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Demon's Souls. Simply because of the very awkward pronunciation. I think Demon Souls rolls off the tongue far easier and still fits with the lore.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky

I haven't played it myself, so I can't attest to its greatness. But it at least looks great, and "Unruly Heroes" is such a horrible description of what's on display here. It couldn't have a name that at least attempted to make a connection to its Journey to the West source material?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Slightly off topic but what was with the trend of naming remasters like:
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Borderlands: The Handome Collection

Actually I guess MCC at least accurately tells you what games are not included(ODST and Reach) at launch.

The Nathan Drake Collection is a garbage name.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario Advance 4

I know it lacks the classic play look of the original, but the e-Reader brings over Super Mario World things and that's cool.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
On the theme of Full Metal Furies, No Truce with the Furies (which was renamed Disco Elysium sometime last year).

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I was so disappointed when Project Wight got renamed to Darkborn (I don't know if it's a great game yet because it isn't out, but at least it looks really promising). It just sounds like some forgotten C-tier game from the 360 generation. Darkborn. Not only are there are already dozens of game names starting with 'Dark', but Darkborn sounds like an 'OC, do not steal' fanfiction amalgamation of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I really enjoyed a gacha game because it actually had a compelling competitive PvP mode (Novice Arena) that wasn't completely P2W since it flat out banned the use of SSRs, but my god is "Brown Dust" a terrible name for a game.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Super Smash Brothers. It rips from Super Mario Brothers for recognition's sake but feels outdated given its palette of playable characters.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. Legend of the Mystical Ninja by itself would have been better (albeit still a little bit cringe inducing), but the "Starring Goemon" part always kills me.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Breath of the Wild is the perfect name for that game.

I'm gonna go with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Fantastic game but a pretty bad title. I honestly kind of like it because it's so bad. Why didn't they just go with Performa? I dunno.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger

For the first decade or so of it being out I thought it was either something like Max Payne or a really Japanese-styled version of Time Crisis.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. Legend of the Mystical Ninja by itself would have been better (albeit still a little bit cringe inducing), but the "Starring Goemon" part always kills me.
Probably because they wanted to readjust the US name of the series back to Goemon, but also wanted to let people know it was the same series as "that SNES game with Kid Ying and Dr. Yang."

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that the OP is asking for GREAT games with terrible titles. Not just bad titled games.

I feel Tactic's Ogre: Let us cling together is up there. It is a good grid based tactics game with a wtf title.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Forager just came out.

If it wasn't for the quick look on GB I would have passed over it without thinking twice, and now I'm probably going to get it when it comes out on switch

Apr 24, 2018
Probably because they wanted to readjust the US name of the series back to Goemon, but also wanted to let people know it was the same series as "that SNES game with Kid Ying and Dr. Yang."
Oh wow...is that what the characters were called in the SNES game(s) in the west? I played a negligible amount of one of the SNES titles and for all intents and purposes, the two N64 games are all I've played in the Ganbare Goemon series.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
This is a great one. I always see furries.

Yep. Awful title, I still think that played a big part in people not buying the game.

Monster Hunter...I imagine it read like shovelware to people not familiar with the series.

True, but also is a pretty damn accurate description of what you do aha.

Yep. Horizon or just 'zero dawn' would be much better. Slamming them together is just eh.

Super Smash Brothers. It rips from Super Mario Brothers for recognition's sake but feels outdated given its palette of playable characters.

The names always been weird to me. Even sortened to 'smash bros' makes you realise how little sense the title makes

Reminder that the OP is asking for GREAT games with terrible titles. Not just bad titled games.

I feel Tactic's Ogre: Let us cling together is up there. It is a good grid based tactics game with a wtf title.

I actually love that title but have never played the game.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Oh wow...is that what the characters were called in the SNES game(s) in the west? I played a negligible amount of one of the SNES titles and for all intents and purposes, the two N64 games are all I've played in the Ganbare Goemon series.
Yeah, though only the first SFC Goemon game made it over. I do think it's weird that the second N64 game was localized as "Goemon's Great Adventure", a better name than the prior two, but the game is much more of a 2D sidescroller, and thus less likely to be described as an "adventure" in terms of gameplay.