• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greatest superhero persona?

• Peter Parker - Spider Man

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • Clark Kent - Superman

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Bruce Wayne - Batman

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • Tony Stark - Iron Man

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Bruce Banner - Hulk

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is the greatest superhero persona? you know the character that is played outside of all the action and is important in delivering the backstory to their heroic begginings. My vote goes to Peter Parker the Spider-Man especially played by actor Toby Mcguire (I absolutely despise the new actor!) because he is just so likeable and has the most depth to his real life story it is really hilarious aswell at times.

clark%2Bkent.jpg

1c0q2y.jpg

batman_v_superman.jpg

guys-tony-stark-costume-was-so-convincing-people-thought-he-was-the-real-deal-6-photos-27.jpg

The original Spider-Man trilogy of the 2000s are masterpieces especially due to the way they presented Peter Parker as a innocent and emotional student who saw the effects of crime which turned him into Spidey. Now I mean the other personas are brilliant too don't get me wrong Clark Kent is cool and all but he doesn't have the same likeablity or depth that Peter Parker has because it's literally Superman acting like Normalman. Bruce Wayne is pretty stoic and also faced hardships like Peter but for some reason he feels like Batman even when he is Bruce, the serious type. Tony Stark of Iron Man is nothing amazing nor is Bruce Banner of Hulk but that's how I feel about them.

e2mktih4yrj6xwjj6qgr.jpg

There's a great sense of character and emotion with Peter's persona it is almost uncomparable to the likes of other superhero personas which is why he is personally my favourite of the bunch, what's yours?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I loved Peter Parker as a kid of course, but I stuggle to care that much about him now that I'm older. I still enjoy him but in small doses.
I've learned to appreciate the simplicity of Clark Kent. He's just trying to be a boring good guy, 24/7, I like that. And now that he's a dad, he's much more relatable. Being a demi-god doesn't mean shit when you're trying to raise a 10 year old son, lol.

Tony sucks.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Clark Kent, he's is basically the seed from which all superhero alter-egos spawned. Of course there were others before him (namely The Phantom and The Shadow) but like with most superheroes, Supes is the mold.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Peter Parker, he is just a good guy trying to do his best. He fucks up, he gets in over his head. But he strong personal compass always sees him through

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Superman and Spiderman don't have a persona. They're the same in and out of their costumes.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could never relate to anyone but Peter Parker, so yeah. Him.

I think Clark Kent is boring(whether it's deliberate or not doesn't matter) and I think Bruce Wayne is almost as emotionless as Batman.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also Maguire's Peter Parker is the less Peter Parker of all the film Spider-men so far.

Parker is a geek like us, not a loser like Maguire makes him look.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
And I just wanna say that I take issue with the sacrilege that Ben Affleck and Tobey Maguire are been used as the avatars to the two characters. Here, I've fixed for you:

Who is the greatest superhero persona? you know the character that is played outside of all the action and is important in delivering the backstory to their heroic begginings. My vote goes to Peter Parker the Spider-Man especially played by actor Toby Mcguire (I absolutely despise the new actor!) because he is just so likeable and has the most depth to his real life story it is really hilarious aswell at times.

clark%2Bkent.jpg

new-photo-from-spider-man-homecoming-and-tom-holland-says-the-vulture-is-terrifying

christian-bale-the-dark-knight-rises-image-c.jpg

guys-tony-stark-costume-was-so-convincing-people-thought-he-was-the-real-deal-6-photos-27.jpg

The original Spider-Man trilogy of the 2000s are masterpieces especially due to the way they presented Peter Parker as a innocent and emotional student who saw the effects of crime which turned him into Spidey. Now I mean the other personas are brilliant too don't get me wrong Clark Kent is cool and all but he doesn't have the same likeablity or depth that Peter Parker has because it's literally Superman acting like Normalman. Bruce Wayne is pretty stoic and also faced hardships like Peter but for some reason he feels like Batman even when he is Bruce, the serious type. Tony Stark of Iron Man is nothing amazing nor is Bruce Banner of Hulk but that's how I feel about them.

giphy.gif

There's a great sense of character and emotion with Peter's persona it is almost uncomparable to the likes of other superhero personas which is why he is personally my favourite of the bunch, what's yours?

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Superman and Spiderman don't have a persona. They're the same in and out of their costumes.
Yeah I agree with this, especially Superman.

Superman is a direct continuation of his Clark Kent self pre-Metropolis, in most versions of the story. There may be an exaggerated bumbling persona of Clark at the Daily Planet, but since you're asking about the real life version behind the suit/mask that led to superheroics, there's no invented persona there: Clark Kent's one person until he gets the Superman suit, and continues to be that same person in the suit and only puts on a separate show for his coworkers.

I really like Clark, too. He learns how to be a good person through his friends, family, and life experience growing up in Smallville. He learns about love and loss, and how his strength can't solve everything.

Superman for All Seasons:
manforallseasons.jpg

Last edited:

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Also Maguire's Peter Parker is the less Peter Parker of all the film Spider-men so far.

Maguire's Parker is a good person and inspiration to what it means to be a hero in the real world. Putting others' before your own wants and needs. Whether that is comic accurate or not is something I couldn't give less of a shit about.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Superman.

Because unlike Peter or Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent IS superman's costume.

Clark Kent is a disguise that he uses to blend in with normal humans, Superman is who he really is.

When you see Christopher Reeve in the suit that's Superman, not the glass wearing Clark Kent. To me that is my favorite persona on screen, the original Donner Superman w/ Christopher Reeve.

Toby as Peter Parker would be my second choice, I thought he was faaaaar more likeable as a character then the other heros of the 2000's and onward, and easily compared to the two new spider-mans since then.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Superman is a direct continuation of his Clark Kent self pre-Metropolis, in most versions of the story. There may be an exaggerated bumbling persona of Clark at the Daily Planet, but since you're asking about the real life version behind the suit/mask that led to superheroics, there's no invented persona there: Clark Kent's one person until he gets the Superman suit, and continues to be that same person in the suit and only puts on a separate show for his coworkers.

I really like Clark, too. He learns how to be a good person through his friends, family, and life experiences growing up in Smallville. He learns about love and loss, and how his strength can't solve everything.
manforallseasons.jpg
Well said.

With both Clark and Peter. Their costume isn't the same as other heroes, but rather a uniform they wear. the same as a Firefighter, Police officer etc.

And for the bumbling part of Clark's personality, i'd is say in large part because of his crush on Lois. At least in the Donner films.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Tom Hollands Peter isn't a regular geek "like us". Isn't he a child prodigy genius? I don't think he was written to be relatable at all.

More people are losers like Maguires Peter if we being all the way real.

You're first point is probably right, I don't know much about comic book PP.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I really like Clark, too. He learns how to be a good person through his friends, family, and life experience growing up in Smallville. He learns about love and loss, and how his strength can't solve everything.

Superman for All Seasons:
manforallseasons.jpg

Yo. Yo. Yo. One of my favorite (and first) comics being posted. This is good thread.

Agreed 100 percent , glad I didn't need to say it

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Superman.

Because unlike Peter or Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent IS superman's costume.

Clark Kent is a disguise that he uses to blend in with normal humans, Superman is who he really is.

When you see Christopher Reeve in the suit that's Superman, not the glass wearing Clark Kent. To me that is my favorite persona on screen, the original Donner Superman w/ Christopher Reeve.

Toby as Peter Parker would be my second choice, I thought he was faaaaar more likeable as a character then the other heros of the 2000's and onward, and easily compared to the two new spider-mans since then.
Thanks, Quentin.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
How the hell is Matt Murdock not on the list. At least he does real shit when he's not kicking ass.

This is just a popularity contest.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you're referring to Tarantino's Kill Bill speech:

he said the opposite, or like...it's complex. Maybe not clearly so in the quote below, but the point was that Superman = superpowered alien while ignoring his humanity, trying to draw a comparison to Kiddo = assassin, who also isn't human (to him).

Really, Bill's take on Superman is like Luthor's take. They make the mistake of seeing him only as an alien when ironically he's just a guy from Smallville and is more human than Luthor can imagine. (I'm not sure if this was Tarantino's intention or not in making this skewed Superman analysis, since Bill may be wrong about Kiddo too, depending on your interpretation of the film).

Superman is human in every important way.

As you know, l'm quite keen on comic books. Especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating. Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book, not particularly well-drawn, but the mythology. The mythology is not only great, it's unique…Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears – the glasses, the business suit – that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak, he's unsure of himself, he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

Superman was NOT born Superman. He was a person born with tremendous power, but "Superman" was made through his upbringing and the choices he makes as a person.

It is not in his nature to do good, to be Superman - heck his nature gives him the freedom to rule the planet. He chooses not to.

Last edited:

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
Clark Kent
HlO0CAH.gif

Christopher Reeve does a great job showing the difference between the two in body language and how he holds himself.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Classic Henry Pam, constantly faced with his flaws both as a person and as a hero, while doing his best to better the world as both. Also first person to be an avenger both in and out of costume. Heck the west coast avengers wanted as a scientest rather than a hero

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Christopher Reeves Clark Kent. The only actor to play the part that ever made it believable that people would be fooled by a pair of glasses.

As much as I enjoy the new Supergirl show it annoys the crap out of me the Kara is the exact same person in either persona.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Op has it right. Peter Parker, when done well, has always been more interesting than other alter egos because I can actually relate to his issues. Peter is a decent person struggling to be the best version of himself, like a lot of us here.

Clark is good, but I don't think he is as universally relatable as Pete is, especially if you go past their origin points. And Bruce, don't even get me started on that one.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Idk about in comic books but Tony Stark is the most fun one in the movies so I pick him. Also cus he has a more interesting dynamic between his super and real identities than the others (Parker is second.)

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Tony Stark - Robert Downey Jr version. The end of iron man 1 was the start of something special and Him seeing his parents death in civil war was well done IMO.

Christopher Reeves as Clark Kent - He brought a certain charm to the character that i really like to this day.

Chris Evans as Johnny storm - yes i know the movies were trash, but he was the best thing about them. His relationship with The thing was hilarious.