• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
For some weird reason I loved Technomancer and I can see this positively being in the same line.
This comes from someone who actually only loves the best graphics and mostly plays Triple A games.
I will put it on my wishlist till it hits 20/15 euros.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Amy me remember Kingdoms of Amalur? Combat reminds me of that in a really good way.

So is this a MMO style thing then? Co-op?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is the main game I'm looking forward to for Sept, it looks a lot more polished then their previous games.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yep. It was the first thing I asked.

His work on the Technomancer was also really good. It's a shame that this will likely be his last Spiders game.

His work on A Plague Tale was probably my favourite video game OST this year so far. Not because it was something I'd listen to in my free time, but because it fit the subject material perfectly.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Spiders and Piranha Bytes are really underrated, and with ELEX and (hopefully) Greedfall are making great games. Time to finally put the (horrible) Eurojank term to rest and just appreciate those AA RPGs.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His work on the Technomancer was also really good. It's a shame that this will likely be his last Spiders game.
Hm, I actually thought his work on Technomancer was a little underwhelming (which I suspect had to do with budget restrictions). There was one track on the Technomancer soundtrack I really loved and it was lifted from Spiders' previous game, Mars: War Logs. This one:

So good!

EDIT: Oops, misremembered Mars' composer. It wasn't Deriviere, after all. In any case, Deriviere has done some really amazing work on Remember Me, Plague Tale, etc. so I know he can deliver with the right resources.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Damn, that's... not great. Big Ben hasn't really been that good at creating new interesting IPs, while Focus has been probably the most interesting publisher this gen, :(

Anyhow, not to derail: Greedfall continue to look awesome (ever since that announcement trailer, all those years back). It's been one of my most anticipated games this year. Once the review are up, if it's up to snuff on the technical side, I'll be grabbing it close to Day1

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
How was Mars Wars Log?It is set in the same universe as Technomancer,right?

i should probably try Technomancer.I've heard that the story was good but the ending was rushed?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
How was Mars Wars Log?It is set in the same universe as Technomancer,right?

i should probably try Technomancer.I've heard that the story was good but the ending was rushed?
It's a wannabe Witcher 2 with Bioware-style companions and conversations. The setting was interesting (but unless you spend your initial 30 min reading the glossary in the sub-menus, expect to be helplessly lost in the story); combat was pretty simple-there were areas in the city "hubs" where enemies would spawn each time you went through, making the combat necessary.
-enemy variety wasn't the great, there were maybe 2 setpiece fights in the whole game. There was crafting, but it was not not particularly robust. Money wasn't particularly useful, cuz there weren't enough items to buy- I actually had a playthrough where I "broke" the game- after a combat scene I was supposed to get this tool that would allow me to "drain" beaten enemies, converting their blood to "serum" (currency)- but this would make my character more "cruel" and "feared" . However, I min-maxed my character and took out that whole encounter by stealth takedowns, and the cutscene never triggered. I was still able to play the game just fine with the serum I got from completing quests and looting stuff.

-the biggest problem with M:WL were the obvious limitations of the proprietary engine. Just like "Of Orcs and Men" , the levels were pretty small, and the since you could not enter any houses off the street, it made the city levels a cross grid of corridors. Add to this pretty uninspired quest design (only interesting side quest was the serial killer one; everything else was pretty much "fetch quest" or "go here, beat up bunch of goons" ), and it added up to a pretty weak title, with a kernel of really cool ideas, but kinda mediocre implementation. 6.5/10, imho.

Still have to play Technomancer, it's in my Steam library, waiting it's turn.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
oh wait The Surge 2 will also be released in September...

FOCUS is not kidding this year !

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I actually thought his work on Technomancer was a little underwhelming (which I suspect had to do with budget restrictions). There was one track on the Technomancer soundtrack I really loved and it was lifted from Spiders' previous game, Mars: War Logs. This one:
I couldn't disagree more. The soundtrack perfectly fit the tone of the game, and he really nailed the sounds of a dystopian Mars ruled over by water corporations and a sect of techno-mages. You start in the city with a largely techno palette, then it layers in some slightly Western themes, and finally moves on to an almost tribal arrangement. And it still has time for some experimental stuff.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing. Surprisingly I only heard of this game last month on thePlayStation channel. Certainly on my radar!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Gotten so hyped for this game I've gone back to finish Mars War Log and start Technomancer.

Naiiiill guuuuun!

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
EA0DPbxXoAEp0E3

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Totally siding with the natives.

They got that weird dark druid/blood magic shit going on.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I liked all their games since Mars,War Logs even if I couldnt beat the last Boss of Bound by Flame and the constant respawn of ennemies in the last parts of Technomancer drove me nuts because you had to go through them for the story...theres just something about the way they make progression work,the way the chests are spread out and almost always give something worthwile,the dialogue and story are also pretty good,and ''goofy'' at times...this one is looking like their best one yet,hopefully.Even with everything coming up in September,I might play this along with Gears at launch.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Totally siding with the natives.

They got that weird dark druid/blood magic shit going on.

"The culture and traditions are very different between the colonizers and the natives. The natives' faith is akin to Animism and Pantheism, meaning their mythology is made up of stories and myths linked to specific places or landmarks: be that a lightning-struck tree, a hidden spring, or an oddly-shaped rock.
The natives have their own Celtic-based language, which Spiders created with the help of a linguist. For the team, having this unique language helped them keep the world coherent and consistent. The player isn't forced to learn this new language, but it's entirely possible that players will remember some sayings and expressions at the end of the game - it's certainly the case for most of the voice actors and dev team right now!
"

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked all their games since Mars,War Logs even if I couldnt beat the last Boss of Bound by Flame and the constant respawn of ennemies in the last parts of Technomancer drove me nuts because you had to go through them for the story...theres just something about the way they make progression work,the way the chests are spread out and almost always give something worthwile,the dialogue and story are also pretty good,and ''goofy'' at times...this one is looking like their best one yet,hopefully.Even with everything coming up in September,I might play this along with Gears at launch.
Oof, this was definitely one of my negatives with The Technomancer. The constant backtracking you had to do in the game meant you were always fighting enemies because of how quick they respawned and it would just get really old and tiring after a while. I still managed to finish the game, even though that put a serious damper on my enjoyment.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, this was definitely one of my negatives with The Technomancer. The constant backtracking you had to do in the game meant you were always fighting enemies because of how quick they respawned and it would just get really old and tiring after a while. I still managed to finish the game, even though that put a serious damper on my enjoyment.
Yeah it was my one complaint, the total lack of fast travel. Ugh.

The companions, story, and setting were great though. It felt like ambition over budget but I really liked it. Greedfall is looking like the culmination of their work in all the best ways.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
THIs looks better than it has a right too, it rally's does seem like a bioware game
Hope it runs well and holds up to reviews

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Amy me remember Kingdoms of Amalur? Combat reminds me of that in a really good way.

So is this a MMO style thing then? Co-op?

Yeah I said that as well (though I posted after you I didn't see your comment til today). The combat looks a lot like that and I loved it, the way you can mix magic/melee combat especially (can't wait for the next Amalur game since the IP was bought).

That's a damn gorgeous map.

The cover art is not bad at all.
71RtHL-dN-L._SX425_.jpg

Should have had him facing the camera with the volcano erupting and putting on some shades.
giphy.gif

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Wow this is by far the most hyped I've seen people here and elsewhere for a Spiders game.

The cover art is not bad at all.
71RtHL-dN-L._SX425_.jpg
It's most definitely inspired by David Casper Friedrich, which I think has been cited by the devs as a source of inspiration (among many others) for the art direction in game.

375px-Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Wanderer_above_the_sea_of_fog.jpg

VA_PC_2007BP1119.jpg

the-morning-caspar-david-friedrich-1821-d41f23ee.jpg

Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_The_Watzmann_-_WGA8278.jpg

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Anybody else getting Dragon Age vibes from this game? Especially the companion system appears pretty similar to DAO.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I said that as well (though I posted after you I didn't see your comment til today). The combat looks a lot like that and I loved it, the way you can mix magic/melee combat especially (can't wait for the next Amalur game since the IP was bought).

That's a damn gorgeous map.

Should have had him facing the camera with the volcano erupting and putting on some shades.
giphy.gif

Who bought the IP??

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Okay this looks really good. I have some reservations because of the developer/publisher, but this looks like there is actually some budget behind the game. Doesn't even look that janky, but we will see in a few weeks.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
The more I see of thr game, the better it looks. Hope it'll turn out well. Will give it a try Day 1.