• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem like an odd place to draw the line. You can play as a female who's a trained fighter, one of the characters is a black woman who's a renowned scientist but same-sex relationships need to be historically accurate? I mean, I'll reserve judgement till I've actually seen how it's all implemented (and I do think that they're acting in good faith here) but it does feel like a bit of an arbitrary limitation at the moment.
To be clear, I don't think the limitation is because of any "believability" concerns or whatever. I think she was just talking about the process when she was deciding how to incorporate the same-sex romances (that she knew she was going to do anyway), and why they're not out of place for the time period the game is loosely based on.

I'm not worried about the content. They handled it just fine in Technomancer (which sort of proved that they're doing it because they believe in it).

I need to know, what are my beard options?
At least one of the male faces has a beard. That's all we know.

The game doesn't have extensive customization options (you pick a face, then choose hair style, eyebrows, and skin, hair, and eye colors).

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
To be clear, I don't think the limitation is because of any "believability" concerns or whatever. I think she was just talking about the process when she was deciding how to incorporate the same-sex romances (that she knew she was going to do anyway), and why they're not out of place for the time period the game is loosely based on.

I'm not worried about the content. They handled it just fine in Technomancer (which sort of proved that they're doing it because they believe in it).

At least one of the male faces has a beard. That's all we know.

The game doesn't have extensive customization options (you pick a face, then choose hair style, eyebrows, and skin, hair, and eye colors).

Dammit. Spiders pls

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Since Bioware ain't looking to good these days and DA4 might get violated because it. I need this game to be good.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, Technomancer is the reason why I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt here. The thing is, the only other reason I can come up with for why only two of the romance options are same-sex options would be budget restrictions (it does take time and money to adjust dialogue, record the additional lines, adjust animations,...) and if that's the case, I feel like they should've just given everyone one option to keep things equal. (But that's not me saying that that would've been the only right thing to do in this situation or anything like that. Just that I personally feel like it would've been fairer. I can still see why they would've gone with the solution they went with, especially considering this isn't a blockbuster production with a AAA budget.)

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
The trailer in the OP actually shows the same-sex options (we already knew it was Vasco when she said Kurt wasn't going to be an option because he was the other male romance, but the common thought was actually that Aphra would be the bi option—until the trailer showed Siora and a female De Sardet).

Well, the Nauts (Vasco's faction) are mainly concerned with seafaring and exploration, so I actually don't think he'll be as tricky to navigate (heh) as Kurt (who is part of the mercenary faction).

I don't expect the romances will be much different between the genders (that's typically how it works in most games). I think her explanation is more background on why the options are Vasco and Siora (which bothers me a little, because I don't think you need justification to have some gay people in there, especially in a game with giant walking plant monsters), and the limitation is more just a design decision.
what was her explanation on vasco and siora being bi sexual based on background.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Technomancer is the reason why I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt here. The thing is, the only other reason I can come up with for why only two of the romance options are same-sex options would be budget restrictions (it does take time and money to adjust dialogue, record the additional lines, adjust animations,...) and if that's the case, I feel like they should've just given everyone one option to keep things equal. (But that's not me saying that that would've been the only right thing to do in this situation or anything like that. Just that I personally feel like it would've been fairer. I can still see why they would've gone with the solution they went with, especially considering this isn't a blockbuster production with a AAA budget.)
I mean, to some measure, it's always cost/benefit. The Andrew achievement has one of the lowest unlock rates of all the achievements in Technomancer. (Even BioWare makes this same calculation, and they're 10 times bigger than Spiders.)

Spending so much time on content that the smallest fraction of your players will ever engage with is not a wise investment, especially when you're working with so little. That they do it at all is a testament to their sense of fairness and inclusiveness, but it's not realistic to expect that they could treat every option equally (romance is already a niche inclusion in a niche game, so gay romance is a subset of a subset of a subset of players).

It's unfortunate that not everyone can have access to choice (since a gay character is locked to one romance), but with such a small party, it was probably always bound to be this way once they decided that not all the romance options would be bi (for whatever reason). Hopefully most people who want the content will be happy with what they were able to do, and maybe they'll have the resources in future to expand the options for all players.

what was her explanation on vasco and siora being bi sexual based on background.
Post #340 has a link to the article with the relevant section quoted.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Honestly really excited for this game. The art direction is really top notch and the combat looks really polished compared to previous titles from Spiders.

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I mean, to some measure, it's always cost/benefit. The Andrew achievement has one of the lowest unlock rates of all the achievements in Technomancer. (Even BioWare makes this same calculation, and they're 10 times bigger than Spiders.)

Spending so much time on content that the smallest fraction of your players will ever engage with is not a wise investment, especially when you're working with so little. That they do it at all is a testament to their sense of fairness and inclusiveness, but it's not realistic to expect that they could treat every option equally (romance is already a niche inclusion in a niche game, so gay romance is a subset of a subset of a subset of players).

It's unfortunate that not everyone can have access to choice (since a gay character is locked to one romance), but with such a small party, it was probably always bound to be this way once they decided that not all the romance options would be bi (for whatever reason). Hopefully most people who want the content will be happy with what they were able to do, and maybe they'll have the resources in future to expand the options for all players.

Post #340 has a link to the article with the relevant section quoted.
I had a feeling it was something like that.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
This releases in 3 weeks. They need to show more gameplay. I'm afraid it will be plagued with bugs at release.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yep! Just saw this too, it looks so damn good. It's honestly crazy they went from The Technomancer to this. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad game but this is a different kind of thing altogether. Its combat truly reminds me of the BioWare of old, back when their games were superb.
Uh, what? No BioWare game has ever had combat like that. Maybe Jade Empire if you squint just right.

Looks so good.
But September. why?
Because Focus has to get the game out this year, and Oct-Nov are stacked.

No thick beards for men but some decent beard options IMO.
I'm happy to have been wrong here (I must have only seen the female screen, which doesn't have the facial hair slider).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Uh, what? No BioWare game has ever had combat like that. Maybe Jade Empire if you squint just right.

I'm happy to have been wrong here (I must have only seen the female screen, which doesn't have the facial hair slider).
The scar on their neck almost makes it look like they have a beard XD
I've got at least 2 games to finish up and then I can work on FF14 and this game through September.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Nah I didn't mean the combat with that in that way, my bad. I meant how you seem to be able to pause the game and choose what your teammates are gonna do, it looked like BioWare to me.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The scar on their neck almost makes it look like they have a beard XD
Yeah, that's the plague.

Nah I didn't mean the combat with that in that way, my bad. I meant how you seem to be able to pause the game and choose what your teammates are gonna do, it looked like BioWare to me.
It's an evolution of Technomancer (the ability and companion tactics wheel also paused the game there).

You don't have direct control over your companions (they may have limited defend/attack/heal behavior options like in Technomancer, although I don't think we've seen any UI for that yet).

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
this game is totally going under the radar...potential sleeper hit of 2019...
Seconding this.

A 5-10 minute of uninterrupted gameplay would be great. We only had that one gameplay video and it was kinda all over the place.
Hey! Sorry, I was away at Gamescom doing all sorts of things I can't wait to share with you all in the next 6-24 months - get excited, no matter your gaming preferences.

ANYWAY, meaningless teases aside, there was various stuff on IGN over the week as we had some things with them at Gamescom. Here's 9 minutes of new footage:

Hope everyone enjoyed Gamescom! We've had some EXCELLENT previews pop up masses of press we had at our booth over the last few days - I don't have links handy, but there should be stuff just about everywhere by the end of next week.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So this game takes place in a completely fictional world, right?

They keep mentioning the 17th century but I'm assuming thats just inspiration.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to this. Hope this reviews well and has ultrawide support for PC.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hey! Sorry, I was away at Gamescom doing all sorts of things I can't wait to share with you all in the next 6-24 months - get excited, no matter your gaming preferences.

ANYWAY, meaningless teases aside, there was various stuff on IGN over the week as we had some things with them at Gamescom. Here's 9 minutes of new footage:

Hope everyone enjoyed Gamescom! We've had some EXCELLENT previews pop up masses of press we had at our booth over the last few days - I don't have links handy, but there should be stuff just about everywhere by the end of next week.

Heyo
Pretty interested in playing the game but if it is ok to ask: when can we expect reviews of the game to go up please? Ive seen a few independant yt channels covering the game from its gamescom showing.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Heyo
Pretty interested in playing the game but if it is ok to ask: when can we expect reviews of the game to go up please? Ive seen a few independant yt channels covering the game from its gamescom showing.
I don't even know if review keys have been sent out yet. We've yet to hear anything back.

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Heyo
All our embargos are release day, I believe this one is 00:00 on the 10th, Paris time - so afternoon on the 9th US time. I believe there will be some streams and such a few hours before as various influencers get access.

Keys haven't gone out yet.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
New short video about the world.

AJlA5ys.png

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Anyone else have this preordered on Amazon? They're now telling me it won't ship until 9/27.
well first time I ever saw something so odd on Amazon I may preorder from best buy and cancel my Amazon preorder.

ps : mines says it won't ship till October yet it says it is released on the 10th. So unless they have stock issues which I doubt well I do not know what to say about that.