• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Had to go back to an earlier save as my current one had a perpetual heartbeat noise after a fight (even after trying a reload)

Only about 10 mins of progress though, and can see how a quest might play out differently as I failed on a step before

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
so.... yeah my Vasco quest is bugged.
And i can't do the other companions quests.
Well...waiting for an update ah ah :D

The game is great.(Level scaling needs some fixes probably and stase is way tooo powerfull imo )

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to starting the game. Have just made it to the island now and I'm really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to continue playing now. What does everyone's De Sardet look like? This is mine:
inNr7RC.jpg

Was a bit unhappy with the hairstyle options (many of them didn't look that great and some of the styles I liked just weren't that well-executed as the individual hair cards were just way too visible) but overall, I quite like how he turned out.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, an ancient magical guardian...

I must cast my most potent spell...

Power Word: Gun

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
For people that are near the end or have finished the game, how long would you say it took you? I seem to be plugging away at quests but not really making much progress. Unless the first half of the game is slow? It seems to be dragging it's feet a bit.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing this game for maybe 10 hours so far and I'm finding it really...dull?

Like, I know there's stuff to do and there are all these quests, but it all feels like busywork. None of the plot seems very interesting. The couple of boss fights I've encountered were pretty nice but most of the time you're just running around from place to place talking to people and when there are battles, it's fighting groups of the same enemies. I really wanted to love this game but it just feels like a low budget DA:Inquisition (which I also never finished).

MrPablington

Oct 27, 2017
Husband traded it back after 8 hours... "I can't believe how boring this game is."

I watched a bit of him playing and I couldn't stand the camera :/

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Digging the game so far. The story has picked up a bit but for being billed as a Bioware game, it feels like later era Bioware for better or worse. Lots of railroaded dialogue options that lead to one conclusion most of the time. Feels rather linear in the roleplaying regard. Maybe it gets better once factions become significant? I really like the combat and love the lore and setting. The game is gorgeous and this feels like Spiders may have finally done it.

My De Sardet came out looking like Aveline from AC
xToOSrk.png

CatWizard85

Mar 18, 2019
Italy
I tried it on PC and found it unplayable due to horrible framerate.. I don't understand. My PC isn't new but it played (as example) The Witcher 3 on high (not ultra-high) settings just fine. In Greedfall, the first tutorial area plays fine even on high settings...but once i get to the first town area, everything becomes a nightmare, even if i set everything on low the stuttering is fierce.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I tried it on PC and found it unplayable due to horrible framerate.. I don't understand. My PC isn't new but it played (as example) The Witcher 3 on high (not ultra-high) settings just fine. In Greedfall, the first tutorial area plays fine even on high settings...but once i get to the first town area, everything becomes a nightmare, even if i set everything on low the stuttering is fierce.
I solved the problem by putting the texture on high instead of ultra.
I have stable 60 frame at 1440p with a 2070super.

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question regarding a quest, and I'd love to hear some responses from those who have finished it. This is a fairly late game main story quest, so fair warning of potential spoilers.
Has anybody found a way to avoid the fight with Cera on the path to find Vinbarr? I can't help but feel that I'm missing something, and given the choice, I'd rather not kill her. Being a new game, online resources on the subject are sparse, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Beat it last night. I was ready for it to be over a few hours earlier but that's cause I am tired of the
missionary are bad
storyline. Yeah,
they were awful
but not a storyline I want to play and at least not that huge focus on it. Different story with that being a side story? Sure.

That is probably my main gripe outside of gameplay like zones reset enemy health, guns being OP, and I think that is it.

edit: put spoiler tags just in case?

CatWizard85

Mar 18, 2019
Italy
I believe there was some kind of issue with the game and rendering in full screen? Or maybe it was borderless? Beyond changing the graphic settings, did you try changing the Fullscreen/Borderless/Windowed options?
I tried that but nothing changed from one to the others.. BUT i tried again to change ONLY the textures quality...and now it works. On Ultra it's a mess, on High it works, maybe not always extra-smooth, but it's pretty decent. Then i tried other combinations and i noticed that the only two elements causing atrocious FPS loss are the textures on Ultra and the shadows on more than Medium. All the other settings don't seem to impact on my game. I don't know why the first time i tried to set everything on low it didn't work...
I also put the nvidia card settings on max quality and the game process priority to high, but i don't know if that matters...
Just for the sake of completeness, my hardware is: i7-4700MQ, GeForce GTX 770M (laptop), 8 GB RAM

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I tried that but nothing changed from one to the others.. BUT i tried again to change ONLY the textures quality...and now it works. On Ultra it's a mess, on High it works, maybe not always extra-smooth, but it's pretty decent. Then i tried other combinations and i noticed that the only two elements causing atrocious FPS loss are the textures on Ultra and the shadows on more than Medium. All the other settings don't seem to impact on my game. I don't know why the first time i tried to set everything on low it didn't work...
I also put the nvidia card settings on max quality and the game process priority to high, but i don't know if that matters...
Just for the sake of completeness, my hardware is: i7-4700MQ, GeForce GTX 770M (laptop), 8 GB RAM

The game has some kind of memory issues, especially when you are using the ultra textures and only have 8gb of ram (like I do), I had problems getting memory errors after playing for a little bit, not at first but after a bit, in which case my fps would start to get lower and then I'd get the error. Moved them to just high and it's been fine since. Running on a 1070.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
We were talking about it a page or two ago.

The reviewer was disappointed by the narrative (specifically the game's treatment of its colonial themes and the way it's utilized) and the character writing.

I felt the score was a bit harsh (I think it's the lowest score the game's received so far), but I understand the criticism. Strangely, they didn't have many gripes about the gameplay; they were just really put off by the story.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
it was the kotaku review i think.
The gamespot review is new.
They came out at the same time. I mentioned it a couple days ago:

I respect the opinion. I think it's a tricky subject, and I can't fault anybody who comes to the game with a certain perspective as to how it should be treated.

Gamespot levied a lot of the same complaints, but they were harsher overall. I felt they were a bit heavy with the score, but I understand their criticism.

Game is still at 75 (PC seems to be the main platform for it, in terms of reviews at least), which is fantastic for Spiders.
(Game is at 74 now, though.)

CatWizard85

Mar 18, 2019
Italy
The game has some kind of memory issues, especially when you are using the ultra textures and only have 8gb of ram (like I do), I had problems getting memory errors after playing for a little bit, not at first but after a bit, in which case my fps would start to get lower and then I'd get the error. Moved them to just high and it's been fine since. Running on a 1070.
I imagined it was some RAM issue. Thanks, and also thanks to GymWolf

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Finally out of a city in the game and they sure like to throw piles of bear monsters at you, nice to get some more combat, but wish they give your AI buddies some more lines of dialog for fights

Enjoying it so far though

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
So I have a question regarding a quest, and I'd love to hear some responses from those who have finished it. This is a fairly late game main story quest, so fair warning of potential spoilers.
Has anybody found a way to avoid the fight with Cera on the path to find Vinbarr? I can't help but feel that I'm missing something, and given the choice, I'd rather not kill her. Being a new game, online resources on the subject are sparse, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
No, my status was friendly with the natives and there wasn't any other option but to fight her.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I regretted mocking the Dragons Dogma pawns once I got 3 "Things are about to get dicey" in a row during a single fight

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Do we have any idea of sales figures for this yet?

5th on the UK sales chart. Pretty good for a pretty unknown single player RPG that is a new IP from a company without much of a following. Especially considering I believe big games like Control didn't even chart (or at least was REALLY low), and Nintendo exclusive Daemon X Machima was only 19th. I bet Spiders is thrilled given the small budget this had and hope they get a better budget/marketing/support for their next project.

https://www.mcvuk.com/borderlands-3-easily-outguns-gears-5-which-flops-at-uk-retail/

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There are a lot to like in GreedFall conversation/dialogue system.

F6F9439F05CC8EE82866FC8EB862C54A932DD706

Lots of details put into them. From the start, NPCs would look at you when you approach them, some of them would even stand from their sitting position. Also, everyone don't stay idle when talking, they will change their gestures and such. The conversation doesn't only go 2 ways like in most RPGs either. Your companion would often chip in and express their opinion, or just greet the target NPC. Target NPC is not only one as well, some conversations have more than one active NPCs. In some cases, the presence of your NPC might also affect the outcome of the conversation. There's also the camera job, it's not static and I like it. Overall, it's simply immersive, despite the janky lipsync.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game have a difficulty setting?

I hate when games become super easy later on when you have leveled up.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow gamespot trashed this game. Is their feedback warranted?
By most metrics, they seem to be an outlier. The criticisms are warranted, but it seems like a "mileage may vary" situation. When the biggest issue for them is narrative and story - aspects other reviews enjoyed and praised - then it's hard to judge.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
By most metrics, they seem to be an outlier. The criticisms are warranted, but it seems like a "mileage may vary" situation. When the biggest issue for them is narrative and story - aspects other reviews enjoyed and praised - then it's hard to judge.
Fair enough. Usually what most consider a bad story in games never bothers me

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it at around 40 hours or so.

It really did feel like an unreleased AA Bioware title, complete with some noticeable corner-cutting. There were multiple times that I thought, "yep, there'd be a scene or companion interjection or an alternative path here if they had more money."

That said, what Spiders managed here is...I mean, going from Technomancer to THIS? I'm flabbergasted.

I really hope GreedFall does well for them. I'd love to see what they can do with even more resources at their disposal.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it at around 40 hours or so.

It really did feel like an unreleased AA Bioware title, complete with some noticeable corner-cutting. There were multiple times that I thought, "yep, there'd be a scene or companion interjection or an alternative path here if they had more money."

That said, what Spiders managed here is...I mean, going from Technomancer to THIS? I'm flabbergasted.

I really hope GreedFall does well for them. I'd love to see what they can do with even more resources at their disposal.

I'm not done yet, about 20 hours in, but everything you mentioned is spot on for me as well. I've tried Technomancer and Bound by Flame previously and quit both of them about 2 hours in max. Such a big step up in quality and will be there day 1 for whatever they create next.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not done yet, about 20 hours in, but everything you mentioned is spot on for me as well. I've tried Technomancer and Bound by Flame previously and quit both of them about 2 hours in max. Such a big step up in quality and will be there day 1 for whatever they create next.
Not sure when you played The Technomancer, but it received a patch that made the Easy mode easier, if that was what put you off.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure when you played The Technomancer, but it received a patch that made the Easy mode easier, if that was what put you off.

My main issue with it was the clunkingness if that's even a word. Greedfall has some of it, but nowhere near as bad as Technomancer from my memory of it. Might check it out again though as that patch looks substantial enough to warrant another go.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
My main issue with it was the clunkingness if that's even a word. Greedfall has some of it, but nowhere near as bad as Technomancer from my memory of it. Might check it out again though as that patch looks substantial enough to warrant another go.
I think I might get the disc off eBay too once I beat GreedFall. Hope it's not absolutely awful.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Who the hell are people who attack you completely randomly in the city? I had happened that multiple times and it is annoying. I'm in city area to be relaxed, clear up my inventory. Don't need fucking fight inside the city. Without spoiling anything is that explained later in the game? Don't remember if this happens only during night time.

Also I was in the camp and got this confusing message while talking to Vasco.

You may continue your journey [level loaded]

What does it mean?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Who the hell are people who attack you completely randomly in the city? I had happened that multiple times and it is annoying. I'm in city area to be relaxed, clear up my inventory. Don't need fucking fight inside the city. Without spoiling anything is that explained later in the game? Don't remember if this happens only during night time.

What does it mean?

They are random encounters in every city. As for the messages, the camp is for loading the new areas, your area has loaded and you can proceed. The camp is the loading screen.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What does it mean?

They're thieves and bandits. Street scum and assorted rabble, lusting for the dull gleam of coin stained red with your blood, you wealthy noble, you.

The camp is basically an interactive loading screen. The message meant you could continue on from the camp with minimal load time.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I played the game all day long yesterday... it is absolutely captivating for me, i love it.

I guess i am the perfect audience for it since i just saw that it got destroyed for its handling on themes. I have not read the articles, i play first and will read controversies later.
Though for the few post i see (a 5 on gamespot because it is insensitive on colonialism), i may be unaware of the issues at hand, sadly.
I see resistance and collaboration, like in all invasions. I changed people's mind, made truces, seen horrible horrible things and punished the culprits.
I changed a nation's wide mind on their views on a foreign culture to make them brothers and sisters
I am not finished, but ... i don't know, i fear i am a bad people if i love it so ...or maybe it's just that my actions make the game better than the base root for the common people experience if they don't dig as much side characters' stories as i do... or perhaps it's just because i have not yet finished the game and it gets worse after where i am at (alleviating the pain).

It brings me in the same state of mind as i was in witcher 2 as a game mix it is(minus being a tech showcase though) and the immersion i feel.... aaand it's good to have voice actors i am familiar with in long rpgs ;)
Really impressed but worried i am a bad ignorant person
despite me being from an empire that has been occupied and reshaped by its conquerors and living in a former empire that left its colonies and was once occupied by a true evil empire.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I played the game all day long yesterday... it is absolutely captivating for me, i love it.

I guess i am the perfect audience for it since i just saw that it got destroyed for its handling on themes. I have not read the articles, i play first and will read controversies later.
Though for the few post i see (a 5 on gamespot because it is insensitive on colonialism), i may be unaware of the issues at hand, sadly.
I see resistance and collaboration, like in all invasions. I changed people's mind, made truces, seen horrible horrible things and punished the culprits.
I changed a nation's wide mind on their views on a foreign culture to make them brothers and sisters
I am not finished, but ... i don't know, i fear i am a bad people if i love it so ...or maybe it's just that my actions make the game better than the base root for the common people experience if they don't dig as much side characters' stories as i do... or perhaps it's just because i have not yet finished the game and it gets worse after where i am at (alleviating the pain).

It brings me in the same state of mind as i was in witcher 2 as a game mix it is(minus being a tech showcase though) and the immersion i feel.... aaand it's good to have voice actors i am familiar with in long rpgs ;)
Really impressed but worried i am a bad ignorant person
despite me being from an empire that has been occupied and reshaped by its conquerors and living in a former empire that left its colonies and was once occupied by a true evil empire.

I don't know about those complaints. You are witnessing really bad things in the game and one of the side quest chains literally flips the world on its head. But i am not yet finished so i don't know if what i did will have impact later in the game.