• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's absolutely annoying. You can navigate the gears vertically with the d-pad, but when you press the horizontal buttons it'll switch to another character. I get it that because all of the shoulder buttons are already assigned for menu and sub-menu navigations, they had to resort to d-pads for switching characters in the gears customization page. But they should at least disable the vertical navigation functions so that we'll always have to use the analog stick.

Regarding sleeping potions, you can buy them from the merchant (if we're talking about the same quest here). I think lots of quest items would be available for purchase.
Thanks. Maybe they'll make some quality of life improvements in a future patch?
There's no science on them, just crafting? At least from what I see on mine
Couldn't craft the bloody sleeping brandy because I didn't have science
What is the pre-order gear called? Maybe I wasn't wearing it, is it green?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying the game so far, but only played a few hours in the starting town. Just now got to the island. The dialogue and setting so far have been quite interesting.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
from someone who has been playing mage some tips:

- Mana management is straight up important. If you do not get equipment to increase mana regen faster than the base +10, you are going to constantky run out of mana. And since both base attacks use up mana, you can't really avoid it.

I wish there was more mage-inclined gear or equipment. Seems like all capes just do charisma so far, and most necklaces or masks/helmets I've found also don't do much for mana regeneration or damage.

Which means you are either going to need a secondary weapon, which means investing points into a melee weapon. Or you will need to heavily use up mana potions in tougher battles. If anyone can confirm if there are unique marginably better mage equipment please let us know.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
from someone who has been playing mage some tips:

- Mana management is straight up important. If you do not get equipment to increase mana regen faster than the base +10, you are going to constantky run out of mana. And since both base attacks use up mana, you can't really avoid it.

I wish there was more mage-inclined gear or equipment. Seems like all capes just do charisma so far, and most necklaces or masks/helmets I've found also don't do much for mana regeneration or damage.

Which means you are either going to need a secondary weapon, which means investing points into a melee weapon. Or you will need to heavily use up mana potions in tougher battles. If anyone can confirm if there are unique marginably better mage equipment please let us know.
Yeah, the game encourages (or rather, forces) us to learn skills from multiple disciplines. Even a melee-oriented character would highly benefit from investing in guns due to its stun/knockback capabilities. And I don't think you can be a pure gunner either due to the limited ammo.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NLyN2j.jpg

My boy's so handsome

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the game encourages (or rather, forces) us to learn skills from multiple disciplines. Even a melee-oriented character would highly benefit from investing in guns due to its stun/knockback capabilities. And I don't think you can be a pure gunner either due to the limited ammo.
basically. Seems like it's not a bad idea to combine your primary with an ok invested secondary. Problem stems from that anything decent in weapons needs decent stats so you anything you choose for secondary is only there for support as you can't really afford early on to invest enough points into strength or agility for example.

I can maybe move around 4-5 stat points right now since a skill I've been investing in I like barely use (Stasis). Magic needs either rebalancing but I have yet to find an actual proper use for it. Even to freeze up enemies to focus on others bosses/mini bosses escape stasis really quickly so it's pointless.

edit: honestly seems like stasis is primarily useful for someone who has magic as secondary as they can only focus on stasis for their mana use which might combine well with a heavy hitting main weapon. But if I'm primary magic I'll have to think hard which melee weapon to use for secondary.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think ultra textures are buggy and cause a memory leak or something like that it goes over the vram of my 1070 in no time and starts swapping then it starts to hitch and fps drop a lot. There is no issue with high textures but they look a bit worse close up and honestly i shouldn't have to lower them in the first place.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Okay couple hours in, just about to leave New Serene.

Dialogue in general is pretty damn good, but when I talked to companions a bit more I got stuck between options that were pretty much "Do you think I'm hot?" or "You gross". Don't know if I could have cancelled out of that but I didnt, sure hope that doesnt ruin anything lol.
I definitely dislike that the Charisma check is a chance instead of a flat requirement. It just encourages reloading a bunch.

Quests are alright so far, plenty of ways to solve them. Although it does seem that just putting on a coat of whatever faction you're infiltrating is always better than any alternative way.

I'm annoyed that the mage class starts with a point in heavy one handed weapons. If anything I would have wanted to choose one handed blades as my melee weapon. I know that I can still do that, but I'm a bit of a min-maxer that way.
Progression is weird in a way. Skills are straight-foward and I look forward to every point. Attributes and Talents I'm not so sure about. Seems I would want the magic focusses attributes to stay on top of encounters that way, but I run out of mana a lot and probably need to invest some in strength as a back up, but then there is already a bunch of armor I cant wear because I dont have the endurance...although I guess not getting showered with points is not a bad thing. I'll see.
Talents are the same. Science and Intuition are recommened for the mage class, but lockpicking and charisma seem most important for alternative quest solutions. And you only get a point every 5 levels?

Combat I'm still unsure on. Slinging spells and stuff totally feels satisfying, but then I got through the first three of rounds of the arena underleveled just by spamming dodge and waiting for my mana to come back up. Kingdom Hearts BBS flashbacks.
On the other hand the fight for the merchant with the two charging bulls and the gunner gave me a bit more trouble and felt more interactive, so hopefully later encounters are more of that variety than the "slowly running after you in a circle" monster like the wolve-things.
Also, companions get knocked out super quickly (playing on hard).

Haven't seen too much of the world, but so far it looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see what the native villages are like.

That's it so far, overall impression is definitely very positive though, apart from what I wrote above.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hmm anyone having issues with the lightening effects in the game? Not sure what is triggering it but it goes from Normal to extremely dark.

silentrob32

Nov 1, 2017
I think my game has bugged out. I've completed a couple of quests in the opening area but they haven't disappeared from my quest log, but have disappeared from my map. I also haven't received any award for doing them, no XP, nothing. Thinking about restarting, I wasn't digging my mage build anyhow. Also on Xbox X my settings for HDR are greyed out in the menu, but it's definitely running in HDR anyone else have this issue?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think my game has bugged out. I've completed a couple of quests in the opening area but they haven't disappeared from my quest log, but have disappeared from my map. I also haven't received any award for doing them, no XP, nothing. Thinking about restarting, I wasn't digging my mage build anyhow. Also on Xbox X my settings for HDR are greyed out in the menu, but it's definitely running in HDR anyone else have this issue?

Which quests are bugged for you would you say?
I know I thought my coin guard quest was bugged, but that one only gets finished on the island.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017

If it is the one that you get from the Quartermaster, I think you have to go to the island to complete it.

Cosmic Guru

Jan 10, 2019
London, UK
I think I have a bug where the 2 contracts I picked up from the missionary camp have vanished from my log.

I guess I was lucky to get a purple grade ring early doors and that has made a lot of difference and dictated stat building to a degree - with skill points I've gone all the way round to storm on the magic track and then the 1H heavy melee up to healing spell.

Anyone else guilty of assigning armour for aesthetic rather than stat boosting reasons (only playing on normal mind)? There is one pair of boots / leggings which look so much better on another character since they match the colourfulness of her tunic. Similarly some of the crafted additions to armour are simply pig ugly but the weapon ones are cool.

Are the rewards you get for befriending factions random? Speaking of legendary (gold) items, It's worth checking out the various lairs and dungeons along the way although nothing to indicate those already cleared as far as I can see.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How do companion bonusses work? In the stats menu it says on the Naut dude for example that he gives a bonus to Intuition, but I don't think it changes anything in my talents.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Ya sure about that. The quest doesn't remotely end there, so I dun see how it can be over before you reach New Serene.
Yeah, you're right. I guess I was wrong about the quest being finished at that point. But I'm sure I reported to him and he said something about the port in the island. I guess that was just an additional lines and not related to the quest log at all.

How do companion bonusses work? In the stats menu it says on the Naut dude for example that he gives a bonus to Intuition, but I don't think it changes anything in my talents.
I didn't even know that it's a thing. Lots of stuff aren't really explained well in the game.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Do you get enough attribute points to level up Magic/Willpower for rings and necklaces AND strength for melee weapons?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat screenshots, I really hoped for a photo mode or Ansel for this game.
Yeah... well, for now I can:

* Freeze the game
* Move the camera wherever I want
* Change the FOV
* Toggle the HUD (bit janky but it works)
* Change the time of day with hotkeyss

Even found the parameter for fog.
Depth of field (like below) can be done through ReShade)

iCA6Mk.png

I wanted to finish it up last night and upload it, but I got a migraine and went to bed instead :P

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Only got to play an hour last night but this game definitely feels promising. Really love the first city's design.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Took my first steps into an open section of wilderness last night but then immediately hopped back to town as I had a companion quest pop up during the journey.

Looking forward to heading back there tonight and exploring.

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
I love how GreedFall is influenced by Baroque art. All Focus Home Interactive teams have this kind of special treatment towards artistic design. And that shows how much they know about history and art. GreedFall is astonishing.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Enjoy Croatia! Hope weather is nice. Stay strong, you can do it! ;)

Not that the beauty of the country or the villa isn't wonderfully distracting on their own, its great and mid to high 20s is plenty hot enough for my pasty northern blood. However there are a couple of hours on an evening which would be filled just nice by an RPG and not Croatian or German TV. :D

It's swear it's even worse when you work from home. All I'd have to do is walk from my studio downstairs to the den upstairs, and It's really tempting right now.

Gotta stay strong.

Yeah working from home is amazing, yet filled with a myriad distractions. :)

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
How do you do SNEAK ATTACKS?

I remember seeing it in one of the review but can't seem to replicate it.

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
It's a pity you can't apply skin clothes like in WoW, some of the outfits look great but their stats are bad so you're stuck with old worn breastplate of +70 quality

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I was in an area called
Bedri
, and those Yorglan are borderline stupid. Companions drop so fast, and they are spitting ranged poison crap all over the place and charging. I put a bunch of them in stasis to make the fight more manageable, but the companions still drop, and you're stuck in this confined area against multiple enemies. Just ...no.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Tip for Charisma-inclined starters like me:

Take Lockpicking first instead. You can buy capes from the merchant in the starting area for your empty back-slot that add Charisma +1. They're only around 50 gold.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I agree with the praise of the quality of the quests, I had serveral problems with them so far:

For the quest where you need to manipulate the list of goods for the ships, I accidentally rushed through the door of the harbour masters and was attacked by them.
I managed to kill them (pretty easily) and manipulated the list. I was expecting some kind of repercussion, but absolutely nothing happened.
I just straight up murdered some innocent harbour workers to manipulate a list to smuggle some goods off the island and I it didn't even damage my reputation with any faction. Nobody had any problems with it.

Afterwards I proceeded to find the heretics that were hiding in a warehouse. I found them by sneaking behind the guards.
My character approached them by telling them how I found the smuggler in prison, that wanted to get them off the island, and how he sold them out and told me their location ......... Except he didn't. I never spoke to him and I had no idea he was in prison (I didn't set foot in the prison).

I hope these kind of problems don't appear to often, because they can damage a lot of the fun you can have with these kind of games.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Very impressed with the opening city, Serene. Honestly I wasn't expecting that level of ambient/environmental storytelling — bodies burning in the streets, the cries of the sick & diseased filling the air, a fair amount of NPC banter and 'stuff' going on — it isn't Witcher 3 or RDR2 tier, obviously, but incredibly well done nonetheless. Much of my 3 hour session last night was just walking around soaking in the atmosphere. Strong writing & voice acting, some cool bits of lore, still very early but this game is legit.

My final character unintentionally came out looking a lot like Yennifer. She's a mage so I'm here for it. While I wish there was a hide headgear option, I'm already all in on 'FashionFalls'. Similar to Souls I'll just sacrifice headgear stat gains unless I absolutely need the boost, but man, even some of these early armor sets are fantastic. Can't wait to play more.