• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ricimer

Nov 1, 2017
None of the plants and items outside are highlighted with the gold glow anymore. Looks like it stopped working 3 hours ago after vising one of the major settlements. Going to have to go back as I'm not sure if it's also affecting the map collection stuff too. Crates still glow, and newly killed monsters glow too.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The atmosphere is truly amazing.

20490692E025C6EB5114073CA6DE58B16AD7650A

None of the plants and items outside are highlighted with the gold glow anymore. Looks like it stopped working 3 hours ago after vising one of the major settlements. Going to have to go back as I'm not sure if it's also affecting the map collection stuff too. Crates still glow, and newly killed monsters glow too.
You probably removed a gear that adds +1 intuition talent.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox players, how does it look in HDR? Also, is there screentearing or is that just this stream on Mixer?

Can't really comment on the HDR - the brightness slider is busted, so it's hard to get a feel for it. The game looks good to my eyes though.

BUT - there is definitely screen tearing. It's not constant, when it pops up seems inconsistent - but it's there and occasional enough for me to notice it. Not a deal breaker for me, but a bit of a disappointment. Also has me slightly concerned, as I'm still only in the starting city - hopefully later areas are less taxing, or about the same. If the tearing happened more frequently than it is currently I'd be more bothered by it

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Tip for Charisma-inclined starters like me:

Take Lockpicking first instead. You can buy capes from the merchant in the starting area for your empty back-slot that add Charisma +1. They're only around 50 gold.
Kurt starts with a +1 lockpicking chest armor that you can "borrow" when needed.

You'll probably want +2 charisma before +2 lockpicking, so I'd still start with it. If it's anything like Technomancer, you're going to need to allocate carefully (you got a max of 9 talent points in that one).

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Can't really comment on the HDR - the brightness slider is busted, so it's hard to get a feel for it. The game looks good to my eyes though.

BUT - there is definitely screen tearing. It's not constant, when it pops up seems inconsistent - but it's there and occasional enough for me to notice it. Not a deal breaker for me, but a bit of a disappointment. Also has me slightly concerned, as I'm still only in the starting city - hopefully later areas are less taxing, or about the same. If the tearing happened more frequently than it is currently I'd be more bothered by it

It's a bit of a mess for me atm. I still have to boot in 1080p and flip to 4k mode to get the game to work at all, brightness slider seems to now work for me but if there is any HDR happening I'm not seeing it. Should have bought it on the pro but either way, enjoying the game.

Oh and there is deffo screen tearing, seeing it mainly in cut scenes atm on the X.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
After stopping last night Steam says I'm at 23 hours which means I've done that in 2 days.
I'm loving the game. It's got some issues but none of it tarnished the core experience for me and I'm having a blast.

As a mage, I learned the heap and all the nodes for healing. My next option was to either start working on laying the elemental traps and bombs, or get the shield skill in mage then work down to the big Storm one. I just can't decide. I've got so many elemental traps now and I'm assuming they are useless unless I learn the skills?

I've put points into Intuition so I can gather and loot more, and it has helped me numerous times on quests in dialogue so that's been cool. Still just using the 1 lockpick gear with no pounds in that line. I think I have 2 CHA, 2 Int, and 2 Scievce right now.

Splitting my attribute points between the 2 mage ones and soon I'll have 3 points in both and that's also working fine thus far.

Anyways, the leveling up is fun but tense because I know I can only get so much and I'm flying by the seat of my pants here instead of looking around online. Gonna play more tonight can't wait!

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there were better HUD options. I don't like seeing the compass, quest markers above NPCs and on doors, and the exp bar showing at all times. I do however like the little icons above key NPCs and crafting tables, and seeing a title pop up of the new area I'm entering.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Very impressed with the opening city, Serene. Honestly I wasn't expecting that level of ambient/environmental storytelling — bodies burning in the streets, the cries of the sick & diseased filling the air, a fair amount of NPC banter and 'stuff' going on — it isn't Witcher 3 or RDR2 tier, obviously, but incredibly well done nonetheless. Much of my 3 hour session last night was just walking around soaking in the atmosphere. Strong writing & voice acting, some cool bits of lore, still very early but this game is legit.

My final character unintentionally came out looking a lot like Yennifer. She's a mage so I'm here for it. While I wish there was a hide headgear option, I'm already all in on 'FashionFalls'. Similar to Souls I'll just sacrifice headgear stat gains unless I absolutely need the boost, but man, even some of these early armor sets are fantastic. Can't wait to play more.

Let me recommend 1 small thing if you're going mage like me. Put your first stat point or a really early one into I think it's the bottom left one - the mage ones are the 2 bottom ones. It's the one that increases magic damage and more importantly let's you use rings - which I didn't understand in the start that was my WEAPON lol. I was stuck with starter ring for wayyyy too long because I had put 2 points in the stat that increases magic points. I had the money to buy all these fancy new rings but they all have stat requirements :(

Anyways, have fun! I'm loving the mage and have stayed in the mage area on the skill tree. The fury attack where you hold LT is great and has saved my butt many times.

Ricimer

Nov 1, 2017
You probably removed a gear that adds +1 intuition talent.

Ah ha! Thanks for that, I will have a go. It's probably on my pre-order gear so I haven't played so far without at least level 1 intuition.

Edit: It was the pre-order hat, I've been wearing it constantly for the last 14 hours and took it off in the city so didn't notice until much later. You've saved me 3 hours!

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite "only" being an AA title this game has its gorgeous sides.

I wish my companions would talk and banter (loved that in the Dragon Age games) though.

A huge step up for spiders. Can't wait for their next game.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had an issue of your companions stop following you? Like they'll spawn into building and stuff but won't follow you and just stay where they load in?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me too. But I'm quite interested how much budget Spiders will get for their next game from BigBen.

Many people already predicted that BigBen isn't going to give them a bigger budget.

That would fucking blow. Give this studio 10-20 million and watch the next bioware grow.

They're getting good in the gameplay departement. Everything on top of that could be made better with a bigger budget and more time.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Many people already predicted that BigBen isn't going to give them a bigger budget.

That would fucking blow. Give this studio 10-20 million and watch the next bioware grow.

They're getting good in the gameplay departement. Everything on top of that could be made better with a bigger budget and more time.

I have a feeling we'll have better idea of BigBen's intentions once we get a look at Cyanide's Werewolf: The Apocalypse- Earthblood.

"Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory" is slated for release before then (and is EGS bound on PC), but Earthblood is gonna be a 3rd person action-RPG (not isometric), so it'll probably be the best indication of the kinds of budgets BigBen is willing to spend.

Seriously - they are coming up on Anna Purina levels of publishers I'll grab most anything from. Just recently we've have had A Plague Tale: Innocence, Remnant: From Ashes, and now GreedFall.

Remnant was Perfect World, not Focus (still a great game though)

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
Game makes me ill. Hopefully they will patch in options for the camera bobbing while running and auto-adjusting camera.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Game makes me ill. Hopefully they will patch in options for the camera bobbing while running and auto-adjusting camera.

I don't get sick, but I find the camera extremely annoying, especially the auto-adjust.
I really want to enjoy this game, so I'm gonna wait until they fix this and give us the option to turn off the bobbing and auto-adjusting...hopefully soon.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
Man, I liked this game immediately. What a cool concept.

Going single hand blades and magic user. Role playing the scientist that goes to the new world and becomes mystic.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda odd how Kurt has the lowest health of my companions. I guess he can wear better armor, but he falls down just as fast as the others.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have the game in front of me, but I'm trying to figure out what Talents you can craft onto armor? Which is a pretty big bonus considering you only get 3 levels of Talents. I have only seen Talents crafted onto the middle point on chest armor only. But I haven't gotten far in the world yet. Unless later armor pieces have other slots. I know the DLC gloves have +1 crafting, so maybe that's available eventually?

It looks like you can craft +1 lockpicking, +1 charisma, +1 science and +1 vigor onto the chest slot (going from memory).

I plan on keeping 1 chest of each. Anyone find anything else?

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Hmm, I'm supposed to "scout the harbour master's office" but nothing happens, the icon just sits in the middle of the street, bug? Also, when trying to activate the side missions for my party members they keep telling me I'm busy and to come back, lol.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't have the game in front of me, but I'm trying to figure out what Talents you can craft onto armor? Which is a pretty big bonus considering you only get 3 levels of Talents. I have only seen Talents crafted onto the middle point on chest armor only. But I haven't gotten far in the world yet. Unless later armor pieces have other slots. I know the DLC gloves have +1 crafting, so maybe that's available eventually?

It looks like you can craft +1 lockpicking, +1 charisma, +1 science and +1 vigor onto the chest slot (going from memory).

I plan on keeping 1 chest of each. Anyone find anything else?

I think that's correct.
The dlc gloves and some other blacksmith gloves give crafting.
The DLC hat was the only one that I found that had Intuition.

Hmm, I'm supposed to "scout the harbour master's office" but nothing happens, the icon just sits in the middle of the street, bug? Also, when trying to activate the side missions for my party members they keep telling me I'm busy and to come back, lol.

Not sure about the harbour thing, but for the companion side quests, you can only really 'accept' one at a time. Whichever one you do accept will lock that person in your party and you won't be able to select another until after.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I played 3 hours, loved the atmosphere and side quests, but the game gave me a huge headache, and i noticed the camera shakes as you walk. I hope they patch this, because I really want to play.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I've played roughly 10 hours and--warts and all--I'm really positive on it. Actually, I kinda love it. It's a game that feels like it's really punching-up and trying to earnestly do better than it probably should.

Like others have said, compared to DA:I (they are very similar games), it's got some jank to it. To me, the jank is easy to over look because all the stuff around it is pretty solid.

Pros
- Great voice work.
- Environments are gorgeous.
- Story has me intrigued.
- Characters seem to have purpose.
- General dialog and conversations are well done(!).
- Each character appears to have an important side mission that effects your relationship and the overall narrative.
- Like DA:I, it appears to be open world clusters and not one contiguous region, and it totally works for me. for some, this may be a con.
- (So far) Quest design has been solid. town missions designed to run you around the city, explore and get to know the area.
- Choices matter almost immediately. There is a reputation system, and is one instance I leveled up my relationship with a group and a Legendary weapon appeared in my base trunk--a powerful one too!

Cons
- Character models go from well done to bleah.
- Mouth/voice animations + sync pale in comparison to AAA games. It's amateurish, but tolerable.
- Movement/Camera controls are rough, but I've gotten use to it. I feel like this is something they could patch?
- Generall bugginess. No save losses or crashes, however things like characters vibrating in the background, or looking the wrong way. One instance a side-character in a cutscene was very passionately talking to another NPC and he was holding a sword (that probably should've been sheathed), and the sword was clipping through him, furniture and other NPCs lol. It's only happened once, but it was hilarious.

Keep in mind, I've been itching for an RPG like this for quite a while, so I've got some momentum going into it. I'm sitting here at work and can't wait to get home and play more! :)

Mattofrivia

Nov 23, 2017
Bought the game last night but I am on the verge of returning it. Trying to use a controller on PC and the deadzone is insane. literally almost have to push the stick fully to the edge before the character does anything. There is now way I could play it like this. Is there a setting anywhere to help alleviate this, because I do really want to play this game.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
By turning off DS4 Steam support in BPM?

It usually turns off vibration in other games, is that also the case here? I need my vibrations.

Wait, on PC? How did you do that? I'm playing on PC using Steam (first time playing with a controller on PC) and it still has XBOX button prompts.
Im trying to recreate what I did because it has been so long since Ive messed with these settings. But I remember turning of xbox, generic, AND playstation configuration support since they were giving me issues. Just running the game with out those and my prompts show up with PS buttons.

Right now they are unchecked and sure enough this game works natively with the ds4. For what it's worth, I do not use BIG PICTURE MODE. But I do not think that matters once you change those in your Settings--->controller menu.

EDIT: Damn I just noticed I didnt have vibrations all this time after you said that lol. Oh well, small price to pay imo.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen this game before. It looks sick and very fun. Reminded me of Fable for some reason!

Now I think am gonna buy it. Love exploration and this styles of games.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Im trying to recreate what I did because it has been so long since Ive messed with these settings. But I remember turning of xbox, generic, AND playstation configuration support since they were giving me issues. Just running the game with out those and my prompts show up with PS buttons.

Right now they are unchecked and sure enough this game works natively with the ds4. For what it's worth, I do not use BIG PICTURE MODE. But I do not think that matters once you change those in your Settings--->controller menu.

EDIT: Damn I just noticed I didnt have vibrations all this time after you said that lol. Oh well, small price to pay imo.

Interesting. Will give this a try when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I have to say New Serene is a fun town. Lots of pathways and hidden chests and glowy boxes. Seems well fleshed out.

But I got to the next big city I think called Hikmet and it seems not as good. Way way less chests around and nearly no glowing boxes in the city. The palace is far smaller. Not many places to enter. The port is super tiny unless it opens up later. Layout of the Coin house and tavern is nearly identical except a lot of doors cannot be entered - the one in New Serene is a labyrinth and you can go thru most all doors.

I don't know...seems like a fair bit of indoor copy paste, and in general a less fleshed out city. Maybe things change the more I do there but I hope that the rest of the game locations don't follow this trend.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a great time with the game, but I tell you, I wish the visuals for the basic magic attack....updated as you put points in it or something. Flicking little shadow balls constantly. Or maybe I just want chain lightning? 🤔 Took a long time to gain more skills to make magic use more interesting too, having some healing and a shield spell now. They should have given you new skills WAY earlier.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Tip for Charisma-inclined starters like me:

Take Lockpicking first instead. You can buy capes from the merchant in the starting area for your empty back-slot that add Charisma +1. They're only around 50 gold.

You don't have to take lockpicking first, you can simply take off Kurk's armor and put it on (it has +1 lockpicking) which lets you open any chest in the tutorial area so you don't miss any loot.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to take lockpicking first, you can simply take off Kurk's armor and put it on (it has +1 lockpicking) which lets you open any chest in the tutorial area so you don't miss any loot.

Which is a pain in the backside if you're trying to do the Naut area in disguise.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I couldn't even watch the ACG review because of the camera shake/wobble while walking and running. Holy crap and I bet you can't even disable that...

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Which is a pain in the backside if you're trying to do the Naut area in disguise.

Yeah It was a bit annoying at first but there was a trick i found that you can use your companions to "block" most the npc's path and keep them in place with their back turned so it's easy to get those few chests there (just have to move so that your companions are standing in the direct path while the npc is trying to walk away (not toward) the direction of the chest. If you do it right the npc simply stops moving and you can take all the time you need. Also you can bring up your inventory as soon as you start lockpiking which makes it quicker to switch back too.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I couldn't even watch the ACG review because of the camera shake/wobble while walking and running. Holy crap and I bet you can't even disable that...

Yeah you can't it's quite baffling they thought excessive head bob, camera sway and shaking without an option to disable them would be acceptable in a third person game it's a bit like torture for me after an hour or so.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Max Stasis + Max Healing + +15 Mana Regen necklace + A Big Mace + Constantly Dodging In A Circle Like A Goon = Good Times