• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just learned that why was my Alliance reputation stayed at suspicious after a very long time playing. Looks like I should've visited the governor to report some stuff before he gave me a new series of quests. When I finally reported to him for the final series of main quest, he immediately gave me the Alliance faction quest series. I should've done that a long time ago.

I think it counts as a bug, or maybe an impractical quest design. There are quite a bunch of Alliance-related quests you can find in the wilds, but since they're not actually quests given by the Alliance, you wouldn't have to report to the governor. They can fix it by giving a quest notification pop-up at some point, or maybe via a conversation with Aphra, that you need to report to the Alliance governor.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I just learned that why was my Alliance reputation stayed at suspicious after a very long time playing. Looks like I should've visited the governor to report some stuff before he gave me a new series of quests. When I finally reported to him for the final series of main quest, he immediately gave me the Alliance faction quest series. I should've done that a long time ago.

I think it counts as a bug, or maybe an impractical quest design. There are quite a bunch of Alliance-related quests you can find in the wilds, but since they're not actually quests given by the Alliance, you wouldn't have to report to the governor. They can fix it by giving a quest notification pop-up at some point, or maybe via a conversation with Aphra, that you need to report to the Alliance governor.
Thanks for the heads-up. I was starting to wonder if there was something bugged on my side.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
They are random encounters in every city. As for the messages, the camp is for loading the new areas, your area has loaded and you can proceed. The camp is the loading screen.
They're thieves and bandits. Street scum and assorted rabble, lusting for the dull gleam of coin stained red with your blood, you wealthy noble, you.

The camp is basically an interactive loading screen. The message meant you could continue on from the camp with minimal load time.

Aha that is nice trick.

Regarding random encounters, not that they are hard to kill but I find these encounters annoying knowing they will never drop any good loot for the effort.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually very believable, that's the lot of Eurojank.
But it is such a big step up from other old Eurojank RPGs I've tried. My main complaint is the lack of enemy variety and the combat could use additional spells / abilities. Plus, tying combat to stats like it does means you really can't be a hybrid character, at level 30+ I have nothing to put my skill points into because I'm a mage and I can't do physical combat, alchemy, or guns. My physical stats are all 0 and could only be 1 at best (used a throw away point to raise endurance to 1).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, seems like the reviewer didn't even finished the game. And his main complaint is that the game feels like many other RPGs and it lacks innovation.
Did we read the same review?

Gamespot's main complaint really seemed to be that the game's colonial themes weren't explored to the extent the reviewer would have wanted, and they weren't satisfied with any of the character writing. Nothing they said indicates they didn't finish the game.

Regarding random encounters, not that they are hard to kill but I find these encounters annoying knowing they will never drop any good loot for the effort.
They may drop better loot if you have higher levels of insight.

The bandits only spawn at night, so you can rest in your house until morning if you don't want to deal with them (or just run past them).

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am happy, i retained my good impression all the way through...
i dug into every subquest i could -and these were quite developed- (except "missions"), saved everyone, managed to make a giant impact for the better in that world.
It was very very satisfying.
No bitter taste even though not every wrong was righted, but almost. I forced some hands, to steer the ship in the path i prefer, and it worked.

Rough edges, a ton, but they almost never came on front. I just had one late gathering of comrades that was all messed up camera wise, despite it was supposed to be an important camaraderie moment ... but that came out funny xD

It was a good weekend with little sleep, but worth it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I always found funny was my character always pulling out her gun in cutscenes to maim/execute people. Like I don't even have a gun equipped, where is it coming from? And I have 0 ammo too...

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean, seems like the reviewer didn't even finished the game. And his main complaint is that the game feels like many other RPGs and it lacks innovation.

I'm honestly lost at what he was expecting from this RPG innovation.

Different strokes for different folks and all, but a 5 for this isn't reasonable. I'm a decent way through the game (though haven't finished) on PS4 and the game is technically solid though graphically underwhelming with a pretty well fleshed out role playing system that could have used a few more combat options.

But honestly, this is exactly what we've been getting from Bioware for years with less polish- which is exactly what was advertised.

Just to get some perspective on how Gamespot rates things, it doesn't appear they typically use the "entire scale." over the past 6 months the lowest score they handed out was a 4, with a handful of 5's and the typical review landing a 7 or 8. In this case a 5 is an abnormally low score for them and indicates a game with serious flaws. 1-3 aren't used at all, and the "4" scores I read (a PC game called "Ancestors: The humankind odyssey and a re-release of Metal Wolf Chaos) were games so heavily flawed and frustrating they were basically unplayable and not worth the effort to even boot up.

It's not a good review. Case in point:

There's religious fanaticism, and then there's Inquisitor Aloysius from Greedfall, a man so excessively villainous his whole schtick borders on farcical. A member of Thélème, one of the game's six factions, he appears when you first step into the town square of the city San-Matheus. What draws your eye is the sight of a hulking woodland beast howling in pain while tied to a stake in an enormous burning pyre, as a captured native islander looks on helplessly. When asked why the creature and his people are subjected to such cruelty, the Inquisitor bellows an odious response about cleansing the corrupt souls of his tribe. Then in one swift movement, he yanks the islander's head, stabs the poor soul with a knife, and yells obscenities about heresies into the sky.

uh...yeah. the game makes it clear that the Ordo Lumis inquisitors are an extremist sect of Theleme, Aloysius is the WORST of them, and Theleme (even though they aren't particularly sympathetic) in general is not that nasty. Even within Theleme, the missionaries and Ordo Lumis do not get along, as Petrus helpfully points out. The mother cardinal even apologizes to you for having run into Aloysius because she knows exactly what he is.

That uncomfortable scene is emblematic of the plot in Greedfall; its tales of colonialism and political subterfuge are tackled with such little nuance that it verges on parody. The islanders wear face paint, have heavy accents, and venerate the woodland beasts as deities, while the cardinals, bishops, and alchemists refer to them as savages that need enlightenment or salvation. Greedfall relies heavily on these kinds of blunt narrative tropes for its setting, much in the same way it does on a very familiar open-world RPG structure. And while it's very easy to lose yourself in its competent, if comfortable, formula, it means that Greedfall ultimately feels unremarkable at best.

the "natives vs. islanders" conflict while a big part of the narrative is not the sum of the game. The Natives are not one big faction either (though your reputation with one tends to apply to reputation with all of them) and I've run into more than one Native Tribe vs. Native Tribe conflict. There is also the issue of the Bridge Alliance and Theleme not getting along, and although I haven't seen a lot of it so far there are indications of tensions between the Nauts and the Alliance, and the Nauts and the Merchant Delegation. Nobody appears totally happy with the Coinguard and they come off like a pack of thugs, but thugs everyone happens to need. The reviewer fails to mention any of this.

You play as the charming diplomat De Sardet from the Congregation of Merchants, who's in charge of brokering peace between two warring factions: the Thélème, a theocratic nation that preach their gospel heavily and want to convert as many natives as possible, even if it's by force, and the Bridge Alliance, home to a nation of alchemists who wield their vast and incomparable knowledge of science for political ends.

This is again, not what the game is. Bridge and Theleme are big, important factions but brokering peace between them is not the point of the game. Hell, there's a sidequest I ran across where a member of Bridge is selling out to Theleme, betraying his faction for material gain and you straight up tell him "Merchant Congregation is neutral, I don't care what you do between yourselves." Your character's personal motivation is to cure a plague that's devastating the continent he comes from. Selene (the opening area) is a plague ridden nightmare and this must be fixed. Your mother (presumably) dies of this plague while you set off to discover a cure. There are several questlines that focus on the search for this cure. The reviewer fails to mention this outside of a cursory mention of the plague in the opening paragraphs.

Even your companions and other characters are cookie-cutter emblems of their group: Siora is the native princess who wishes to seek peace for her clan; Petrus is the religious Thélème advisor with tons of political savvy; and Kurt is the loyal, headstrong mercenary whose stoic demeanour can barely disguise his world-weariness. Most damning of all is your character, De Sardet, who, as the big hero, embodies the "white man's burden" allegory that also plagues other colonial-themed narratives; it's all on you to liberate the natives or unite the factions against them.

....there are six companions in the game, Though one is (so far) available only for a very brief period of time. The reviewer fails to mention Vasco (Nauts), Aphra (Bridge alliance), or Constantin (Congregation of Merchant) at all! Are these also cookie cutter? because they don't get mentioned in the review.

I agree with the commenter above- it does not appear that this reviewer actually played through this game.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Having finally beaten the game earlier today, I totally agree with you Manmademan. It's like the reviewer didn't go that far yet, or worse, he actually didn't pay attention to the conversation and lore dumps that the game gives you at every corner.

Judging by his review, I'm leaning towards both because he clearly failed to see that the extremists inquisitor is only a small part of Theleme faction, and later on everything should be explained through various quests. Every faction has its own thorns inside them. In Theleme's case, it's the Ordo Lumis and it's your job to fix them up (if you want, it's optional). The other factions also have their share of problems within, and he failed to mention them too.

The game is far from just a "Colonist vs Natives" conflict, it's a more complicated politics between various factions who have their own agenda in the island.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Having finally beaten the game earlier today, I totally agree with you Manmademan. It's like the reviewer didn't go that far yet, or worse, he actually didn't pay attention to the conversation and lore dumps that the game gives you at every corner.

Judging by his review, I'm leaning towards both because he clearly failed to see that the extremists inquisitor is only a small part of Theleme faction, and later on everything should be explained through various quests. Every faction has its own thorns inside them. In Theleme's case, it's the Ordo Lumis and it's your job to fix them up (if you want, it's optional). The other factions also have their share of problems within, and he failed to mention them too.

The game is far from just a "Colonist vs Natives" conflict, it's a more complicated politics between various factions who have their own agenda in the island.

Exactly. I'm not even that far in the game, clearly (I don't have a ton of time to play it, but I enjoy what I have so far) and this stuff is OBVIOUS. You don't even need to finish the game to realize these things, you just need to play it- which means a lot of time fleshing out the narrative via sidequests. It's telling as hell that the Nauts are mentioned a grand total of zero times in that review, despite Vasco being a companion!

If you speedrun through the main questline, maybe you can come up with the opinion that reviewer did, but I can't figure out any other way that review could possibly happen.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it is super weird to see the writer offhandedly dismiss both Siora and Petrus. They are both easily my favorite characters in the game.

Petrus due to being a cool old guy and a smooth subversion of a bunch of tropes. And Siora for being reasonably well written.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyway, at the end of the game I managed to befriend everyone because I can. :P

B50FEE1C0BE271F2ED4633CCB68F6949334D1106

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Impressive. How did you manage to stomach the Bridge Alliance? They are unquestionably the worst.
Lol yeah, they are the worst because unlike Ordo Lumis in Theleme which are just an extremist group, the Allince's rotten views are shared among the scholars and even the governor. I simply gave professor Asili with the death sentence through the court, and convince the governor that abusing people for science is not worth it. The faction still gave a bad taste in my mouth despite all that.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean
The Origins of Theleme
quest line basically flips whole world on its head and nobody mentions it?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Lol yeah, they are the worst because unlike Ordo Lumis in Theleme which are just an extremist group, the Allince's rotten views are shared among the scholars and even the governor. I simply gave professor Asili with the death sentence through the court, and convince the governor that abusing people for science is not worth it. The faction still gave a bad taste in my mouth despite all that.
I just now started their quest lines because i think they unlock based on progression jn main quest and i think i will do what you did hehe.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that bothered me too. I love that the writers went there, but they did not go hard enough.

I have yet to finish game but that quest line really was great. And you will rarely see game do something like that. I was hoping that it would have bigger impact on the rest of the game but based on your response it looks like that it's not the case.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is the waypoint system terrible?
It was mostly fine. The main thing that was stupid to me was that some areas only seemed to unlock if you exited from a specific point but the game wasn't very consistent with this. I'd get a quest to go go somewhere and it wouldn't show up on the main map at first, but other quests would.

Also, the Bridge Alliance is the worst with how many times they betray you and how they treat everyone.
They basically create the main antagonist in the game and I can't believe you never ever tell your cousin about where his sickness comes from, that is immediate cause to go to war

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only got a chance to boot this up on saturday after travelling home, I've not touched anything else since.
The game has really drawn me in, I'm about lvl 14 and I don't know how many hours, 20 maybe. There's a great deal to enjoy especially with the characters and questlines so far. It's certainly not without its little faults here and there but nothing so far has negatively effected my enjoyment.
Pleased I picked this up, hope it does well for Spiders so they can keep improving, at this rate the next games will be corkers.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just finished the game, loved it. Ended up putting in 50 hours.Luckily, I don't think I ran into any bugs whatsoever.
I finished the game at 50 hours clocked at Steam too, but I idled the game a lot, so it's probably around 45 hours or less.

Just posted my review on Steam:

life doesnt work this way. lose half those friends you perfectionist.
Lol, no way.

Actually, this is another "flaw" design of the game. There are various factions with clashing interests and agenda, but we can unite them all despite all that. I'm more of a fan of factions system where if you end up choosing to support one of them, the other faction(s) will become hostile to you.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I have started crashing to desktop after about 10-15 minutes of play on PC. Anyone else ever have this happen? Do you think it could have something to do with "dynamic resolution"?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

"
Coming to you soon…

• Quests being debugged
  • Camera bobbing rectified: players will have more control over the camera
  • Invert X-Axis option added
  • The mage skill "Ranged Shadow Impact" has been modified
  • Several aggro areas have been improved
  • Trophies debugged
  • Localisation issues fixed for French, Chinese, Polish, Russian, Portuguese and English - Thanks to everyone who reported these!

We will reveal more soon when the patch is released! Stay tuned!

"

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
All side missions cleared with only 1 faction in the red
Ending was...well within their budget XD
I will replay it in the future and focus on Getting all factions on the green but kicking them off the island, and romacing Aphra

I quite enjoyed it as an RPG experience tbh, the specific stats that can affect interaction with NPCs among other things is a neat touch and one I have not seen commonly in the various RPGs I've played thus far.

I would say the biggest offender in the game is the translation. It is clear this was translated from French to English but various terms are off and make the experience less interesting to follow :S

Oh it's you on ol menaui! Come and see! There's a new patch coming soon!
A bit of patching on my blade, then let's go!

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So I have started crashing to desktop after about 10-15 minutes of play on PC. Anyone else ever have this happen? Do you think it could have something to do with "dynamic resolution"?
No. That's just the resolution scale (max is 100%).

It doesn't do anything except change the rendering resolution (it's not "dynamic" or anything). If you're saying it only works when it's lower, it could be some sort of hardware problem (since it will stress the card more at higher resolutions), but I would expect visual glitches or system crashes instead; it may be some compatibility problem with other software you have running or a driver issue.

I've seen some people report crashing, but it doesn't seem to be very common (the game has never crashed for me).

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No. That's just the resolution scale (max is 100%).

It doesn't do anything except change the rendering resolution (it's not "dynamic" or anything). If you're saying it only works when it's lower, it could be some sort of hardware problem (since it will stress the card more at higher resolutions), but I would expect visual glitches or system crashes instead; it may be some compatibility problem with other software you have running or a driver issue.

I've seen some people report crashing, but it doesn't seem to be very common (the game has never crashed for me).

Thanks, I havent even changed that resolution scaling setting so I dont think it is that. I sent my "crash dumps" to support as they requested on the steam forum so I am hoping they can identify the problem.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Impressive. How did you manage to stomach the Bridge Alliance? They are unquestionably the worst.

They are not a set stone... you have the power to do something about it...
I was friendly, i too helped condemn the atrocities to the fullest extent, i exposed past wrong doings of the alliance...
don't know how it mixed, but they changed their ways gradually in the end. Introducing Ethics comity and stopping their ways of science at all costs above humanity while still remaining at the forefront of research.
Damn that game is satisfying in the consequences of your actions :)

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Do you think we'll get a sequel or will spiders move onto something else? Game seems to be a sleeper hit of sorts, certainly more well recieved than Technomancer. Although I have no idea how this is doing sales-wise.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I hope they'll end up making a sequel of this. This is a really interesting world with great potential they created here. Nowhere near enough Pillars of Eternity 17th-18th century world stuff out there.

You know what, I wish
when De Sardet finds out he/she is actually an islander the other native villagers stop calling me a fucking renaigse all the time. Hell, your character as an on ol menawi is way more connected to the island than the non on ol menawis. It sort of happens, in De Sardet's parents' home village but I really would like the other villages to be friendlier as a result.

Also it does seem way too easy to just be friendly with everyone unless you mess up on purpose. Also Siora is literally the best character in the entire game.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They are not a set stone... you have the power to do something about it...
I was friendly, i too helped condemn the atrocities to the fullest extent, i exposed past wrong doings of the alliance...
don't know how it mixed, but they changed their ways gradually in the end. Introducing Ethics comity and stopping their ways of science at all costs above humanity while still remaining at the forefront of research.
Damn that game is satisfying in the consequences of your actions :)
Yup. Not only affecting the ending sequences, your choices and actions do affect the game immediately too sometimes. It's pretty great.

I hope they'll end up making a sequel of this. This is a really interesting world with great potential they created here. Nowhere near enough Pillars of Eternity 17th-18th century world stuff out there.

You know what, I wish
when De Sardet finds out he/she is actually an islander the other native villagers stop calling me a fucking renaigse all the time. Hell, your character as an on ol menawi is way more connected to the island than the non on ol menawis. It sort of happens, in De Sardet's parents' home village but I really would like the other villages to be friendlier as a result.

Also it does seem way too easy to just be friendly with everyone unless you mess up on purpose. Also Siora is literally the best character in the entire game.
Absolutely. It's a very interesting world they created. The factions and natives are all pretty well-written. I'd love to see a sequel.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Not only affecting the ending sequences, your choices and actions do affect the game immediately too sometimes. It's pretty great.
Starting with Technomancer, they've been really good at propagating out choices from early on into later stages and the ending.

Even though some people would want choices to be so impactful that the entire game changes with each one, I like how they've handled choices having smaller impact but getting woven throughout the rest of the game, even if it's just a minor alteration in what actually happens.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this and the performance seems to be all over the place. It was fine inside the city, but the moment I was out in the open it would go from anywhere between 30fps to 100fps. And I wasn't even running on ultra. I can't seem to find the cause of performance issue. Can't really play it this way.

I've got a 1080/i7 6700K.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i feel for a future game if they want to write these morally grey groups they need to do a bit of a better job. it was relatively easy to dislike
the hyper christian "hide everything that can hurt our faith" and the scientific "lol we torture for science"
nations. Maybe in a game that isn't tied to a negative time period can try and give more nuance. I've been struggling to finish the game and im near the end because ive reached a point im beyond OP making combat not very enjoyable and the story has outstayed its welcome. It's most definitely Spider's best outing, but they bit more than they can chew and should probably try to focus more on quality than quantity in other areas and cut on the length if it means a tighter experience.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I just started this and the performance seems to be all over the place. It was fine inside the city, but the moment I was out in the open it would go from anywhere between 30fps to 100fps. And I wasn't even running on ultra. I can't seem to find the cause of performance issue. Can't really play it this way.

I've got a 1080/i7 6700K.

In most cases setting textures to high fixes those issues.

Okingjrr

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
France
Nice. In this patch the following should be included
  • Quests being debugged
  • Camera bobbing rectified: players will have more control over the camera
  • Invert X-Axis option added
  • The mage skill "Ranged Shadow Impact" has been modified
  • Several aggro areas have been improved
  • Trophies debugged
  • Localisation issues fixed for French, Chinese, Polish, Russian, Portuguese and English
The quest fixes should unblock players that where stuck at "The Prince's Secret", "The Trial of Waters" and Vinbarr's sanctuary

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Debating whether or not to buy this. Is it possible to run a two handed sword but also use magic build? Is that a good build? Is it possible to use all three skills or should you only run with two playstyles in a playthrough? Like in, you can't use guns, magic and wield a sword all at the same time?

people

Oct 27, 2017
Debating whether or not to buy this. Is it possible to run a two handed sword but also use magic build? Is that a good build? Is it possible to use all three skills or should you only run with two playstyles in a playthrough? Like in, you can't use guns, magic and wield a sword all at the same time?
1. If/once you have enough skillpoints you can put them in other skilltrees, e.g. if you start 'as Warrior' you can (at some point) add/mix in Magic skills and vice versa.
2. You can reset your skills (and abilities/talents) with a Memory Crystal and respec from scratch if you want to try out something entirely different or finetune your 'build'. You can get more than one Memory Crystal (at the end of my 1st playthrough I had 7 - I never respecced).
3. Specifically, you can use guns, magic and wield a sword at the same time, if/once you have enough skilpoints (goto 1)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. In this patch the following should be included
The beta build also includes the option to increase subtitle size.

You typically want to pick one area to specialize in, and then you're free to dabble in the other skills as you choose.

The main limiting factor for what you propose is attribute points. You need strength for heavy weapons, agility for blades, magic for rings, endurance for heavy armor, and accuracy for firearms (and they all have secondary benefits as well). You only get a total of 15 points (I think) at max level, you only gain a point every 3 levels, and each attribute has 5 levels. So in order to wield the best items of that type, you really need to pick a primary one to invest in.

While the game allows you to pick any ability you want (and there are enough ability points that you can wander around quite a bit—though there are not enough to max out the entire tree), you will be stuck wielding really poor weapons and doing significantly less damage if you try to spread yourself too thin in terms of attributes.

But there are spells and abilities that are always useful and require no real investment, so you're never forced to simply play with only swords or only magic.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Finished the game. I got every faction to help in the final battle and Killed Constantin but I didn't unlock the "Better World" achievement. Full approval with all the companions and Made Duccas King . Was there something I missed?

Really enjoyed the game. Feels leaps and bounds above Technomancer and reminds me of DAO or Witcher 1. De Sardet was more of his own person than I would've liked, but I'm sure the budget played a role in all that. Favorite companions were Kurt and Siora, I had a mage build. Romanced Siora which looking at the achievement percentiles is definitely the most popular choice lol. Was very pleasantly surprised with how good the game looked, the environments were downright gorgeous and the cities all felt full of personality. I LOVED how in the final battle you get to fight alongside your entire party, that's what I fucking wanted from DAI and Bioware couldn't give it to me. The boss battles with the Guardians were also pretty fun! . Overall this was the most enjoyable RPG I've played since W3. I could easily see opportunity to set sequels elsewhere, perhaps on the Naut Island or on the continent? Really liked the Thelme vs. Bridge Alliance conflict, was pleasantly surprised that they managed to make the two factions both rather fucked up and flawed but not totally without decent people. There were a couple places where the narrative didn't flow right, probably a result of the budget and cuts having to be made. Like why was Vasco relieved of command? Never really made sense. Overall I'd give this a 8/10, very solid first entry for a new IP.